• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You guys calculating with PSN prices for next gen the way they are now are somewhat going to be wrong. Sony and MS will have to answer to Apples and Google's gaming services by either giving more benefits or reduce the pricing. Reducing PSN cost by 20% and all of a sudden things will look differently. Plus, like with apple and their OS / here the games are a mayor draw to get a console in the first place despite the higher cost.

That's a pipe dream, Sony just raised the price in Japan and UK.

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Does anyone know if this works with older models of the Chromecast (the 1st generation version) or does it only work with newer models?

r0t

Banned
May 23, 2019
Not everyone agrees that streaming is the future of gaming. I sure don't.

Sony does not emphasize PS Now. They barely advertise it. It seems like they rarely even acknowledge that it's there. I wonder why? Could it be because the majority of their customers prefer high image quality, no controller lag, and not having to worry about their bandwidth caps?

PSVR is also a thing that Sony would like to succeed. They'll be expanding on it next gen. Do you think streaming could possibly work with VR, with technology in its current state? Would you get the smooth framerates and head-tracking responsiveness required to avoid motion sickness? And what if the stream stutters? That's not going to be good for immersion, is it?

Will serious fighting game players ever play a streamed game? Unlikely.
Serious shmup players? Rhythm game players? Not a chance.
How about driving games? If I'm barreling down a track at 200 mph, will I settle for reaction time that's less than instantaneous? Not if I can help it.

Music and movies are great for streaming because delays do not impact them. Video games are not music or movies. I think the companies going all in on this are going to be in for a rude awakening. IMO, within 5 years, Google will be adding this to their pile of discontinued services and failed projects, right alongside Google+.
Sony doesn't have Google's infrastructure and infrastructure is the feature that will make Stadia and Xbox's streaming service successful. With Stadia I have a Google datacenter within 30 miles of my location. So I'll be getting the best experience possible.
Is Amazon still getting into cloud gaming? With Google and Microsoft having already annouced and show things, I expected to hear from Amazon by now.
I fully expected Sony to partner with them due to the fact that AWS is a market leader in the cloud space. They probably were in discussions but Jeff Beelzebos probably wanted Sony's firstborn.

Hell, Amazon could purchase Sony.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Does anyone know if this works with older models of the Chromecast (the 1st generation version) or does it only work with newer models?
Yes you can. You can use the Chrome browser on your Laptop/PC, play on your TV via Chromecast Ultra, or on your Pixel 3/4 phone at launch. Other platforms will be available in 2020.

It says so in the preorder email:

"
  • Watch for your bundle in the mail. Unbox Stadia Founder's Edition and start playing games on your TV and across laptops, desktops, and Pixel 3 and 3a.
"

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite genres are fighting and racing games. I refuse to believe that these are going to work as well on Stadia as on a console or a PC. I'll notice any lag immediately.
Wouldn't be any more lag than you're already getting playing your fighting games online.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Wouldn't be any more lag than you're already getting playing your fighting games online.
I am hoping it's actually even better with Stadia. Since most fighting games these days don't have dedicated servers, if you're not the host your input has to go from your controller, to the cloud, to the hosts machine to register. With Stadia it should be a level playing field. Again I'll hold off judgement until I can try it for myself, but I'm hopeful.

r0t

Banned
May 23, 2019
Does Google charge you right away for the Preorder or do they charge when it ships? I don't want to have to jump through hoops if I change my mind. But I like supporting promising new tech. I preordered a Tesla Model Y sight unseen... But Stadia is $130 not $50k+

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, your stacking latency from the stream AND the online play

Except both parties are already connected to the same stadia instance. The local machine running this instance won't introduce any more lag. You hit a button your inputs go to the cloud server and that's it the server doesn't have any local hardware of your own to send a ping back to so your local machine can register hits and whatnot. Stadia should actually eliminate lag when playing online against other people since the local machine is doing all the computing between everyone playing on that instance.

r0t

Banned
May 23, 2019
Ah, fuck it. Ordered. Here's the answer in case you were wondering.

We'll get started on your order. You'll see a temporary authorization hold on your account for this order, but you won't be charged for an item until it ships. When it does, you'll get a shipping confirmation email.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Except both parties are already connected to the same stadia instance. The local machine running this instance won't introduce any more lag. You hit a button your inputs go to the cloud server and that's it the server doesn't have any local hardware of your own to send a ping back to so your local machine can register hits and whatnot. Stadia should actually eliminate lag when playing online against other people since the local machine is doing all the computing between everyone playing on that instance.
That doesnt make sense. The instance is running the game of a machine in which you remote to. The machine then connect to the online service(ubi, ea, who ever).

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think Stadia going after exclusives could be a problem

Sure, exclusives are always a problem for owners of other platforms.

Gotta wonder how much Google is willing to open its wallet and for how long, both in terms of money hatting and when it comes to funding their own games.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Based on my experience with project stream, Google has a pretty good shot at getting my business with this. I need to know how much the games will be regularly, and whether or not we'll be getting sales/discounts/etc. I also need to know how many "free" games you get each month with the Pro package.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can. You can use the Chrome browser on your Laptop/PC, play on your TV via Chromecast Ultra, or on your Pixel 3/4 phone at launch. Other platforms will be available in 2020.

It says so in the preorder email:

"
  • Watch for your bundle in the mail. Unbox Stadia Founder's Edition and start playing games on your TV and across laptops, desktops, and Pixel 3 and 3a.
"
Lol I have that effect email and did not even notice that, it's not even a long email...

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Google has been vague when it comes to any platform not natively google but I know they want you to be able to launch from Chrome. If they just outright state I can play from an iPad at launch I'll consider pre-ordering.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Google charge you right away for the Preorder or do they charge when it ships? I don't want to have to jump through hoops if I change my mind. But I like supporting promising new tech. I preordered a Tesla Model Y sight unseen... But Stadia is $130 not $50k+
No charge. Will charge before it ships.

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
I feel like Google has been vague when it comes to any platform not natively google but I know they want you to be able to launch from Chrome. If they just outright state I can play from an iPad at launch I'll consider pre-ordering.

iOS isn't a launch device.
On Day 1 in November, you'll be able to play on your TV with a Chromecast Ultra, on your laptop/desktop/mac/chromebook via Chrome, or on your Pixel 3/4 phone.

Devices you should be able to play on in 2020 and beyond are:

- iPhone / iPad
- Android TV
- Chromecast
- More Android phones

When those will come is up in the air for now, but you for sure won't be able to play on them in 2019.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I currently have a 15mpbs / 300GB data monthly plan for $38 CDN, which is plenty enough for most of my gaming and movie/TV streaming needs. If I want to move into Stadia Pro territory, I'd have to pick the 60mpbs/unlimited data plan, which racks up the bill to $63 CDN. That's $25 more, monthly, that I would have to pay. That's $300/year more. Assuming a full console generation of around 6 years, that's $1,800 in total. Imagine how many PS5's I could buy with all that money instead. So no. Fuck this. Google needs to get all ISPs to severely drop their prices before this becomes even remotely viable for the average gamer.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
iOS isn't a launch device.
On Day 1 in November, you'll be able to play on your TV with a Chromecast Ultra, on your laptop/desktop/mac/chromebook via Chrome, or on your Pixel 3/4 phone.

Devices you should be able to play on in 2020 and beyond are:

- iPhone / iPad
- Android TV
- Chromecast
- More Android phones

When those will come is up in the air for now, but you for sure won't be able to play on them in 2019.
Yeah I wasn't mistaken then, thanks. :)

Deleted member 1441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious but not yet fully on board. I need to see some live gameplay and press reactions to see how feasible this is. Especially for shooters like Destiny, there is a lot going on there and its not a game I want to feel input lag.

I'm more interested how this will be marketed with the Pixel 4. I'm on the fence for switching from my S9+ to a Pixel, and if there is some cross-promotion with Stadia that would be really enticing. Also positioning the Pixel 4 as a place to play Stadia is a smart play in selling the phone.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Sony doesn't have Google's infrastructure and infrastructure is the feature that will make Stadia and Xbox's streaming service successful. With Stadia I have a Google datacenter within 30 miles of my location. So I'll be getting the best experience possible.

I fully expected Sony to partner with them due to the fact that AWS is a market leader in the cloud space. They probably were in discussions but Jeff Beelzebos probably wanted Sony's firstborn.

Hell, Amazon could purchase Sony.
Sony is partnering with Microsoft for this.

www.theverge.com

Microsoft and Sony are teaming up for the future of gaming

It’s all about Xbox and PlayStation beating Amazon and Google

It was announced in mid May,

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is what google should take their sights on. This is stuff only they can do due to being a cloud exclusive gaming service.

Yup. Stadia has a unique advantage here if they ever decide to fully utilize it. They never have to take into account a local plastic box or offline.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What do buddy subscribers play with, if you can't currently seem to buy a controller? Will the normal pro subscription be available in November or only founders pack?

Wonder if you can use it yourself to get 6 months total service? Probably not - they'd want to use it to spread the word

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do buddy subscribers play with, if you can't currently seem to buy a controller? Will the normal pro subscription be available in November or only founders pack?

Wonder if you can use it yourself to get 6 months total service? Probably not - they'd want to use it to spread the word

The OP, at the bottom states that buddies can play buy buying a controller or using any other supported device. Stadia controller will be available to purchase eventually.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Buddy subscribers won't be available at launch. The fine print on the website says buddy-pass codes will be sent out "within 6 months of of delivery of your Founder's Edition", so probably when the service goes live for everyone.

The normal pro subscription won't be available until the full service goes live in 2020, you need the founder's pack to play in 2019.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I currently have a 15mpbs / 300GB data monthly plan for $38 CDN, which is plenty enough for most of my gaming and movie/TV streaming needs. If I want to move into Stadia Pro territory, I'd have to pick the 60mpbs/unlimited data plan, which racks up the bill to $63 CDN. That's $25 more, monthly, that I would have to pay. That's $300/year more. Assuming a full console generation of around 6 years, that's $1,800 in total. Imagine how many PS5's I could buy with all that money instead. So no. Fuck this. Google needs to get all ISPs to severely drop their prices before this becomes even remotely viable for the average gamer.

A lot of times the "capped data/unlimited data" is a bluff on the ISP's part, if you threaten to leave to another ISP or say the other ISP is offering unlimited data as a perk to get you to switch over they'll often cave on the unlimited data part, they really don't give a crap about that.

Last edited:

razu1976

Oct 30, 2017
Listen to this directly from a dev:

Yeah, with traditional consoles you have low input lag, but high positional lag, where the two computers disagree where things are in the world. Having the computers remote and close together reduces the positional lag, but increases the input lag. That does assume that the two players are connected to the same data centre. If one player is in France and one in Canada then this isn't going to help at all.

I just pinged google and it takes around 20ms which is just over one frame of lag. But that's there and back, so the server will get my controls in 10ms. Then it has to update the game, render, encode, and send the video back. My computer then decodes and plays the video and I see the reaction to my button press. I assume this is slower than my local computer updating the game and rendering on its graphics card. Then you've got display and audio lag in your TV, but that would be the case with a local computer, so we can ignore that.

Some existing games have lag in the engine, so if you can minimise that for cloud run games, (some Unreal based games have been updated to reduce input lag before), then you may not notice any difference — if your improvement matches the lag introduced by the cloud system. Of course, if your game is already as fast as it can be locally, then it's going to be worse.

The thing with normal streaming video is that you maintain a buffer of data that will keep the video playing locally if there's an interruption in your connection. A buffer will introduce input lag, but no buffer will cause the video to stop playing if there's a problem. Maybe you only need a single frame of buffer if the connection is good.

I can't get my head around how they can render all these games if millions of people play at the same time.

I play a lot of fighting games, so I don't think this system is for me. But it is technically interesting and I'm sure it'll be great for most games. The fact that yesterday's video occasionally dropped in quality as it played on my computer was hilarious however ;D

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with traditional consoles you have low input lag, but high positional lag, where the two computers disagree where things are in the world. Having the computers remote and close together reduces the positional lag, but increases the input lag. That does assume that the two players are connected to the same data centre. If one player is in France and one in Canada then this isn't going to help at all.

I just pinged google and it takes around 20ms which is just over one frame of lag. But that's there and back, so the server will get my controls in 10ms. Then it has to update the game, render, encode, and send the video back. My computer then decodes and plays the video and I see the reaction to my button press. I assume this is slower than my local computer updating the game and rendering on its graphics card. Then you've got display and audio lag in your TV, but that would be the case with a local computer, so we can ignore that.

Some existing games have lag in the engine, so if you can minimise that for cloud run games, (some Unreal based games have been updated to reduce input lag before), then you may not notice any difference — if your improvement matches the lag introduced by the cloud system. Of course, if your game is already as fast as it can be locally, then it's going to be worse.

The thing with normal streaming video is that you maintain a buffer of data that will keep the video playing locally if there's an interruption in your connection. A buffer will introduce input lag, but no buffer will cause the video to stop playing if there's a problem. Maybe you only need a single frame of buffer if the connection is good.

I can't get my head around how they can render all these games if millions of people play at the same time.

I play a lot of fighting games, so I don't think this system is for me. But it is technically interesting and I'm sure it'll be great for most games. The fact that yesterday's video occasionally dropped in quality as it played on my computer was hilarious however ;D
Where do you test this ping

So your input lag with stadia will only be 20ms? Isn't this basically the same as local hardware?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope there's a way to filter out mouse and keyboard users because don't want to play with them

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Windows command prompt.

Another thing to consider is the wifi controller. The fighting game community are always complaining about wifi connections. I wonder if there will be a wired alternative.
In this case a wired controller would be slower. The whole point of the wifi controller is it connects directly to the server over wifi, if you connect it to a device which then connects its input to the internet, you are adding latency. Unless maybe you could connect an ethernet cable to the controller going straight into your router...

(but yes, you can use a wired xbox one or PS4 controller plugged into your computer if you are using that for Stadia)

razu1976

Oct 30, 2017
In this case a wired controller would be slower. The whole point of the wifi controller is it connects directly to the server over wifi, if you connect it to a device which then connects its input to the internet, you are adding latency. Unless maybe you could connect an ethernet cable to the controller going straight into your router...

(but yes, you can use a wired xbox one or PS4 controller plugged into your computer if you are using that for Stadia)

Yeah, I was thinking of a direct connection. Kinda cool.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we going to be silo'd into playing in the Stadia ecosystem or will say Steam players be able to connect and play together? Is a deal breaker if not

I think it's the former unfortunately and it's the reason that Stadia can't truly be the place for multiplayer games.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
My no basis conspiracy theory is that theres gonna be some sort of expansion of google fiber to align with this

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Where do you test this ping

So your input lag with stadia will only be 20ms? Isn't this basically the same as local hardware?
20ms on top of the input lag from your tv and the native input lag from the game itself, plus input lag from the hardware.
Ideal In home wifi streaming latency is typically around 2-5ms.
Local is 0ms because you are local and so nothing has to be transmitted before the thing knows you are pressing buttons so your only dealing with native latency from the hardware and the game itself.

Stadia is basically a man in the middle everything is going to be slower no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.