Google Stadia Pro (4K/60, 5.1 surround) $9.99 a month. Stadia Base (1080/60) requires no subscription.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've preordered it to see how it is.

Hopefully It can hold off buying/building a new computer.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017
The those concerned or making it a talking point that there won't be other mobile devices supported besides the Pixel 3/3a:

At launch, if you’re a Stadia user, you can play Stadia exclusively on Pixel 3 and 3a devices. However, you’ll be able to create your account and make subscription and game purchases from any Android M+ or iOS 11+ device that has access to the Stadia app.”
There will also be family sharing:

Google says it’ll be one user per Stadia account, tied to your Google ID—you can have a guest account for splitscreen, but other than that, no sharing. (Update (2:43pm): A Google spokesperson reached out to say that family sharing is coming in the future.)

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So, the Stadia runs the PC version of games over the cloud? At what settings?

I know it's 4K at 60 FPS, but what about the rest?

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
As a Destiny 2 player, Stadia does sound tempting to bring a laptop and grind my character when I wait for food at Panera or Starbucks but I wonder if it would allow some latency to play in rural areas. 720p is good enough to get some bounties done. Shame it isn't open to most new Android phones at launch since I have an Xperia ZX2. It stinks that Remote Play doesn't work over 4g. Only if Playstation Now would support Destiny 2: New Light and work over Android 4g,

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I said I was going to wait for the free version, and that might still be what I do in the end, but right now I’m feeling like I want to try this thing as soon as possible. I might preorder in the next month or two if it’s still available. So excited. I hope it works well enough.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So, the Stadia runs the PC version of games over the cloud? At what settings?

I know it's 4K at 60 FPS, but what about the rest?
Think of Stadia like a new next-gen game console. It has its own dev kit hardware, games have to be ported to it. The Assassin's Creed streaming demo for example was ported from the console code base, not PC (though it used higher quality textures and further draw distance and stuff). Stadia runs Linux and uses the Vulkan graphics library, as opposed to PC running Windows and using DirectX or OpenGL.

So, the game settings are whatever the developer wants them to be. Since they have a dev kit and the "hardware" is the same for everybody, they know what settings they can use to get the best possible look to the game, same as any game console, though with Stadia they do have the option (should they choose) to use more than one GPU.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Do you guys think that if you get the founder's edition, your buddy will also get access to a Founders Name ? Because they too would basically create their username before most?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
though with Stadia they do have the option (should they choose) to use more than one GPU.
Why do people keep saying this?

Stadia itself is scalable in the future because the tech can be stacked but I saw no indication a developer could just “choose” to use way more power if they want to.

That type of scaling will be used to upgrade Stadia in the future or offer a higher tier more costly service not let devs just decide on their own their game is going to be twice as expensive for Google to render.

Unless someone can correct me on where Google said it was up to devs, which would just be bizarre.

ArnoldJRimmer

Aug 22, 2018
Why do people keep saying this?

Stadia itself is scalable in the future because the tech can be stacked but I saw no indication a developer could just “choose” to use way more power if they want to.

That type of scaling will be used to upgrade Stadia in the future or offer a higher tier more costly service not let devs just decide on their own their game is going to be twice as expensive for Google to render.

Unless someone can correct me on where Google said it was up to devs, which would just be bizarre.
I don't think we know. I agree that it is unlikely precisely because of costs, especially for third party partners.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The those concerned or making it a talking point that there won't be other mobile devices supported besides the Pixel 3/3a:

There will also be family sharing:

Ok if I'm reading this correctly this might be huge.

They say you can make Stadia purchases on iOS. That means they must have worked out some pricing scheme with Apple, because otherwise Apple would be taking a 30% cut which would effectively completely wipe out Google's profit margin. That means the most difficult roadblock in place for Stadia to come to iOS has been eliminated. We'll see Stadia on iOS sooner rather than later.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
i need to read up on this some more, but if i can play this on my current computer and have fun playing multiplayer games with my brother, then... that makes buying a gaming PC redundant because I literally only need to update my PC for games.

Sankt Ra

Oct 27, 2017
Have they said when they will add ads to the base version? Would be glorious if even the paid subscription had ads ... It's what makes Google money at the end.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm so pumped for this, but I'm really hoping dev's go all in on cross-play with future games. I would love to get Borderlands 3 on this, but I don't think anyone I know is going to be willing to buy games on this over their Xbox/PS4.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Will destiny 2 run at 60 fps and have extended POV on stadia??
If so, day one.
Also, they need to implement X play because if they don’t I feel stadia won’t have a good player base. At the beginning of coarse .

BlueManifest

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate touch controls but did they ever say if they would have touch controls on phones for when you don’t have a controller with you?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They will take 30% like every other store for sure and dont need ads for Stadia Base.
Except every minute you play a game on the service costs them money. Hence why there is a $9.99 fee for Pro.

We have no clue what other ways Google might try to make money from users; and in the end they probably aren't 100% sure. I'd expect ads to be at least a part of their internal conversations.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Harrison: "The fundamental benefit of our cloud native infrastructure is that developers will be able to take advantage of hardware and power in ways never before possible. And that includes taking of advantage of the power of multiple GPUs at once."

This is supposed to be one of fundamental benefits of cloud computing, the ability to scale your compute resources as the task demands, so I don't see why this would be so surprising.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Phil Harrison: "The fundamental benefit of our cloud native infrastructure is that developers will be able to take advantage of hardware and power in ways never before possible. And that includes taking of advantage of the power of multiple GPUs at once."

This is supposed to be one of fundamental benefits of cloud computing, the ability to scale your compute resources as the task demands, so I don't see why this would be so surprising.
Yes, Stadia is capable of doing multi-GPU (really goes without saying/didn't ever need to be said). There is no indication of whether that would be a developers choice to target that, when that would be available, etc. and the launch instances of Stadia are going to be single-GPU.

That's a fundamental aspect of hardware virtualization; neither Google nor Microsoft has said they are using GPU virtualization. The instances are dedicated hardware, not shared GPU compute.

Google saying that their tech is capable of stacking != "devs can choose to use multiple GPUs at launch."

It's very unlikely that they'll let a game decide how much hardware it needs.

BlueManifest

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Stadia is capable of doing multi-GPU (really goes without saying/didn't ever need to be said). There is no indication of whether that would be a developers choice to target that, when that would be available, etc. and the launch instances of Stadia are going to be single-GPU.

That's a fundamental aspect of hardware virtualization; neither Google nor Microsoft has said they are using GPU virtualization. The instances are dedicated hardware, not shared GPU compute.

Google saying that their tech is capable of stacking != "devs can choose to use multiple GPUs at launch."

If they are going to keep promising 4K 60fps for pro sub users then they are going to have to stack the servers eventually for them to maintain that promise of your sub cost

Can you see now when a new game comes out and it’s below 4K even though your paying a sub for 4k how people would react lol

CreepingFear

Oct 27, 2017
When Youtube Gaming was announced, I thought it would be a major competitor to Twitch. I was wrong. I'm kind of thinking that this will be the same compared to Microsoft's Cloud.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If they are going to keep promising 4K 60fps for pro sub users then they are going to have to stack the servers eventually for them to maintain that promise of your sub cost
Yes, the mention of multi-GPU functionality was about future-proofing Stadia. That's what my first response on this topic stated; this convo started because people keep claiming THIS:

though with Stadia they do have the option (should they choose) to use more than one GPU.
There's no indication that developers can simply choose to target multiple GPUs with Stadia.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Except that Google isn't simply saying their tech is capable of stacking, they're saying developers will be able to take advantage of it. And then Harrison follows up that statement with a practical demo from a partner doing just that. It's really a straightforward statement that doesn't need parsing unless you're mostly just disputing "at launch" which seems more than a little nitpicky.

Dynamically? Maybe not but, again, getting very nitpicky and not even what Dreamwriter suggested in the first place.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
BG3 is wonderful for fans, but i've never played one or two so it does not excite me.

I will get a stadia controller for my travels to game on my laptop but I am disappointed in the lack of games. Where is my Street Fighter 6?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Except that Google isn't simply saying their tech is capable of stacking, they're saying developers will be able to take advantage of it.
I mean.. and? Of course when google at some point in the future has multi-GPU setups developers would be able to take advantage of it. As opposed to... what exactly?

People keep making the claim that developers can choose to use multi-GPU setups; they aren't qualifying that claim, saying it's at some point in the future, etc. They are just outright saying it as if that's some current aspect of Stadia.

There is no indication of that, and we don't know when that will be available and in what form (will it be developers choice? only available to pro tier? a higher tier?)

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017
Here he makes clear again that Stadia Pro will have a growing number of games.
Yup, that it'll add free games like they're adding Destiny 2 at launch similarly to what Microsoft and or SONY do for their current subscription service.

Also mentioned that publishers will be able to put their stores inside Stadia along with their subscription services for publishers with a wide range of titles.