Google Stadia Pro (4K/60, 5.1 surround) $9.99 a month. Stadia Base (1080/60) requires no subscription.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Ok if I'm reading this correctly this might be huge.

They say you can make Stadia purchases on iOS. That means they must have worked out some pricing scheme with Apple, because otherwise Apple would be taking a 30% cut which would effectively completely wipe out Google's profit margin. That means the most difficult roadblock in place for Stadia to come to iOS has been eliminated. We'll see Stadia on iOS sooner rather than later.
via an app on ios. apple dont take a cut of things bought through the sony app....

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if Watch Dogs Legion will support ray tracing on Stadia. They confirmed it's in for RTX cards, and Stadia supports Ray tracing, but they're using AMD.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
via an app on ios. apple dont take a cut of things bought through the sony app....
Apple takes a cut of everything sold through any app.

People shouldn't be banking on that quote though; it's attributed to nobody and could be wrong. I doubt Google will give up 30% to Apple; you only buy games on occasion and it's not a big deal for someone to have to go to a web browser to pay for something on iOS.

And none of that stops them from streaming to iOS either way, they don't need to give Apple a cut to have a service exist on iOS you just can't charge for it via the app without giving up 30%.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
That's my fear. I was hoping it would mean I don't have to keep upgrading my PC. Them nvidya cards are getting expensive.
So the advantage of stadia is that they upgrade their hardware over time. Depending on how they do it (in gen cycles like Sony and Xbox (6 to 7 years), or maybe every 2 years would make more sense for Google) Regardless the specifics, they will upgrade their hardware over time so you can see titles getting upgrades later down the pipeline. I just dont think you can expect raytracing at launch, especially RTX specific features since those are only supported on Nvidia Hardware.

Anyway, you mention fear of having to upgrade your PC.. well incase of stadia you would not have to since they upgade their hardware for you as they transition between current and future hardware models for their servers.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So the advantage of stadia is that they upgrade their hardware over time. Depending on how they do it (in gen cycles like Sony and Xbox (6 to 7 years), or maybe every 2 years would make more sense for Google) Regardless the specifics, they will upgrade their hardware over time so you can see titles getting upgrades later down the pipeline.
Yeah - it's just a shame if they start already behind the curve, e.g. no RT in supported games. I guess it comes down to NV and AMD not using a common api.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still holding out that Stadia will secure Cyberpunk 2077.

Also, I wonder with the strong Ubisoft partnership, Ubi will try to make most of their ongoing and upcoming GaaS cross-save.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - it's just a shame if they start already behind the curve, e.g. no RT in supported games. I guess it comes down to NV and AMD not using a common api.
Behind the curve? for 10 bucks a month no way would they be able to deliver you a solid 60 fps experience at 4k with raytracing. no way are they putting a 1200 dollar card in every server rack for you to use at launch. that is economically simply impractical, so sure yeah, if you are looking for that, go upgrade your PC but in no way would I call that.. behind the curve

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Behind the curve? for 10 bucks a month no way would they be able to deliver you a solid 60 fps experience at 4k with raytracing. no way are they putting a 1200 dollar card in every server rack for you to use at launch. that is economically simply impractical, so sure yeah, if you are looking for that, go upgrade your PC but in no way would I call that.. behind the curve
Well, in terms of technology, of course it is. I get there are financial constraints, but if there are games coming out with ray tracing and this does not support it, then it's technically behind the curve.

ForeverYung87

Nov 8, 2017
Hopping in this thread late but has there been word about Stadia supporting HDR?

Edit: Thanks y'all. I see it's all over the marketing as well. Not sure how I missed that.

Last edited:

ForeverYung87

Nov 8, 2017
I'll be testing Stadia out on a 65 inch TV hoping the resolution and visuals hold up. That's the deal breaker for me. If the latency is low as they say and the compression is minimal, I'll be happy with it.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Why do people keep saying this?

Stadia itself is scalable in the future because the tech can be stacked but I saw no indication a developer could just “choose” to use way more power if they want to.

That type of scaling will be used to upgrade Stadia in the future or offer a higher tier more costly service not let devs just decide on their own their game is going to be twice as expensive for Google to render.

Unless someone can correct me on where Google said it was up to devs, which would just be bizarre.
This is the vision and main intent of Stadia, expressed at the first unveiling a few months ago. They literally said that the main goal/idea of Stadia is to unshackle developers from the limitations of single-console/PC hardware on the user end.

Of course, it's not going to be as simple as "switch a button to add a GPU"; developers will have to develop their games to take advantage of such options (and most likely games that do this will only come out later), but it's not some "vague imaginary possibility". It's actually the most exciting aspect of Stadia for me, and I hope devs start doing it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well, in terms of technology, of course it is. I get there are financial constraints, but if there are games coming out with ray tracing and this does not support it, then it's technically behind the curve.
yes, technically its behind the curve when you compare it to high end PC, but its a really petty thing to complain about for 10 bucks a month to not have an at the moment useless technique (the difference would be barely noticeable as you can see in other RTX implementations since we have been able to get pretty close in our current rendering methods)

Once we have proper platform independant raytracing be the standard then I feel complaining about it make sense, but at the moment I would not say wou would be missing much.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
yes, technically its behind the curve when you compare it to high end PC, but its a really petty thing to complain about for 10 bucks a month to not have an at the moment useless technique (the difference would be barely noticeable as you can see in other RTX implementations since we have been able to get pretty close in our current rendering methods)

Once we have proper platform independant raytracing be the standard then I feel complaining about it make sense, but at the moment I would not say wou would be missing much.
I think you're reading too much into my statement. I just said I thought it was a shame. I'm not cancelling my preorder or anything.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is the vision and main intent of Stadia, expressed at the first unveiling a few months ago. They literally said that the main goal/idea of Stadia is to unshackle developers from the limitations of single-console/PC hardware on the user end.

Of course, it's not going to be as simple as "switch a button to add a GPU"; developers will have to develop their games to take advantage of such options (and most likely games that do this will only come out later), but it's not some "vague imaginary possibility". It's actually the most exciting aspect of Stadia for me, and I hope devs start doing it.
I either expect that option for devs to cost a penny or a bump up price wise for users. that extra GPU will not come for free

I think you're reading too much into my statement. I just said I thought it was a shame. I'm not cancelling my preorder or anything.
yeaaah maybe, hahahha

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017
I either expect that option for devs to cost a penny or a bump up price wise for users. that extra GPU will not come for free
I could see them charging $15-$20 for 8k/60 in the future but to charge to upgrade the library of 4k/60 just because it has RT? I don't see them doing that. I think they'll charge based on resolution as they're currently charging. 1080=FREE 4K=$10 8K= $15-$20. This makes sense to me. Whatever tech/techniques they can implement to improve IQ/fidelity will be upgraded in the backend at no cost to the consumer imo.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I could see them charging $15-$20 for 8k/60 in the future but to charge to upgrade the library of 4k/60 just because it has RT? I don't see them doing that. I think they'll charge based on resolution as they're currently charging. 1080=FREE 4K=$10 8K= $15-$20. This makes sense to me. Whatever tech/techniques they can implement to improve IQ/fidelity will be upgraded in the backend at no cost to the consumer imo.
just thinking about price here. They will be earning money somehow and not from your 10 bucks only. I am pretty sure, like stream they take a reasonable cut from devs and I can imagine if devs use more than one GPU they will take a bigger cut from them. (why I don't see games using multi GPU any time soon.)
I mean at the moment how I see Stadia, they provide expensive server hardware for your 10 bucks a month and a bunch of bandwidth. Its like microsoft giving you a free next gen xbox and you just pay a subscription price to use it. its a huge investment on googles part and I am pretty sure they will be getting their return somehow. maybe not trough consumers directly but somehow they will. either ingame Advertisement or something.

low-G

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the worst has come to pass and now people will be paying a subscription to maintain (high quality) access to games they pay full price for. It literally is OnLive again.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

yeaaah maybe, hahahha
Oh yeah, I don't think any of the current pricing model as exposed to the public applies to it. These are going to be special cases, probably an added cost to the end user; more expensive "purchase" or an addition to the Stadia subscription.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So the worst has come to pass and now people will be paying a subscription to maintain (high quality) access to games they pay full price for. It literally is OnLive again.
You pay the subscription for a virtual high end console you dont need to pay electricity for and some free games from time to time. Its like leasing a high end console that gets upgraded every few years

edit: I am not sure what you expected them to do honestly. give you access to a big library like netflix for only 10 bucks? it would not pay much for devs.

low-G

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You pay the subscription for a virtual high end console you dont need to pay electricity for and some free games from time to time. Its like leasing a high end console that gets upgraded every few years

edit: I am not sure what you expected them to do honestly. give you access to a big library like netflix for only 10 bucks? it would not pay much for devs.
I expected this but I considered they might do the Netflix model for a higher fee, $25 / month or so.

I think the losses in resale of titles (used games), ownership of license, no competitive game discounts (retail, online sales, etc), etc will end up costing the end user more within a few months.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Vancouver
This is huge for me. I don't expect Stadia to be my primary platform for gaming but giving me the flexibility to be able to play on another screen while my PS4 is occupied or at a friends and have my progress carry over would make me want to buy all my main games on Stadia again. I'd instantly buy Borderlands 3 on Stadia if it had cross save.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
With the new Destiny pricing scheme that will be introduced (only have to buy the latest update) I actually don't see how it would matter.
Who knows with what business plans they come up with. I understand that The Division was added to gamepass as a way to promote the release of The Division 2. Something similar might happen here.

daxmedflax

Oct 25, 2017
So Google stated that Stadia has 10.7 teraflops of performance. Do we know that all that power is available day one for devs? If so, it should make for some pretty technically impressive games at launch right? I'm really liking the thought of getting a taste of next gen already in 2019..

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, exactly. You're just essentially leasing a high end console that will supposedly be upgraded every so often and which will be absolutely transparent to you. I just wonder how often Google will upgrade the hardware on the back end. I also can't wait to see Digital Foundry do performance analyses on Stadia games, especially against a high end pc.

MrFarenheit

Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
"...which Microsoft will likely talk about in just a few hours, at its E3 event." There were all these people on this/other threads promising that MS' XCloud announcement was going to drown Stadia.
Yeah I preordered Stadia day one but with the caveat that depending on what Microsoft showed I might change my mind...After E3 nothing they showed on stage changed my opinion. Xcloud still seems like an add on to their physical console line up and not its own thing. For me going forward buying a console is not something I want to do and stadia is the only service so far that really seems to be pushing that agenda.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Yeah I preordered Stadia day one but with the caveat that depending on what Microsoft showed I might change my mind...After E3 nothing they showed on stage changed my opinion. Xcloud still seems like an add on to their physical console line up and not its own thing. For me going forward buying a console is not something I want to do and stadia is the only service so far that really seems to be pushing that agenda.
It feels really nice to have options, doesn't it? For someone who is already not looking to buy any consoles, that the Stadia option exists is meaningful in that, unlike MS or Sony, 'that's all they got' so the incentive for Stadia to really push on the streaming agenda is very high, as you say.

Personally, I'll probably still get the next gen Sony console, but it could be the last one. I'm definitely not upgrading to a new PC just for gaming though. I had thought I would a few months ago, but these developments have just completely destroyed that.

And I think it's fine that MS didn't reveal more about XCloud. I read elsewhere that they were planning to reveal more, but that they must have changed plans last minute. Maybe lessons learned after PS4 vs Xbox reveals. They should do it when ready/confident. I really hope there is a piecemeal option for XCloud so I can just sub to Flight Simulator. Or maybe hope that Stadia gets X-Plane.

MrFarenheit : Just curious, what is your outlook for Stadia/streaming-in-general performance where you are in Canada?

emag

Oct 26, 2017
Accidental post (this new forum software is super janky on Firefox mobile).

But here's id talking about porting Doom to Stadia and its performance:

MrFarenheit

Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
It feels really nice to have options, doesn't it? For someone who is already not looking to buy any consoles, that the Stadia option exists is meaningful in that, unlike MS or Sony, 'that's all they got' so the incentive for Stadia to really push on the streaming agenda is very high, as you say.

Personally, I'll probably still get the next gen Sony console, but it could be the last one. I'm definitely not upgrading to a new PC just for gaming though. I had thought I would a few months ago, but these developments have just completely destroyed that.

And I think it's fine that MS didn't reveal more about XCloud. I read elsewhere that they were planning to reveal more, but that they must have changed plans last minute. Maybe lessons learned after PS4 vs Xbox reveals. They should do it when ready/confident. I really hope there is a piecemeal option for XCloud so I can just sub to Flight Simulator. Or maybe hope that Stadia gets X-Plane.

MrFarenheit : Just curious, what is your outlook for Stadia/streaming-in-general performance where you are in Canada?
Where I live I pay $79.99 CAD for 300 up 15 down and unlimited data. I’m in a mid sized city. Rurally this will not work but in the major centres I could see this working as Canadians seem to be receptive to streaming in general and are heavy users of the internet in general. Just reading that 38% have unlimited data and the average speeds are 20.5 dl and a up. For 1080 basic I think there is a chance for this to catch on.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Where I live I pay $79.99 CAD for 300 up 15 down and unlimited data. I’m in a mid sized city. Rurally this will not work but in the major centres I could see this working as Canadians seem to be receptive to streaming in general and are heavy users of the internet in general. Just reading that 38% have unlimited data and the average speeds are 20.5 dl and a up. For 1080 basic I think there is a chance for this to catch on.
That and the "duty" tax that never seems to go down when our currency is doing well.