• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I was a scoffer, but the more I think about having a service where I can play a game at max settings on any device in my house, or on the go is changing my mind. It's expensive as fuck to keep a high end PC with current parts, and the thought of being able to play a game without worrying about settings ever again is sexy af.
As someone who's PC is currently broken and has no idea which part is failing, I feel kinda the same as you. The $10 a month for Stadia Pro is nothing compared to the amount I spend on my PC and I'd never have to troubleshoot anything ever again. I thought an Xbox One X could become my main gaming machine but there are too many games that aren't X enhanced and barely any of the ones that are run in 60fps.

Though I still feel some trepidation about investing in Stadia and potentially losing access to my games. And the launch library is missing anything I want to play that I haven't already so I can't see a reason to buy the Founder's Edition.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know if we can just subscribe to Stadia Pro in November or is it only available to customers who have bought the Founders edition?
You have to have a Founders Edition, or a buddy pass from someone who has the Founders Edition. I imagine a lot of the latter will be available on eBay, the buy/sell/trade thread here, etc.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You have to have a Founders Edition, or a buddy pass from someone who has the Founders Edition. I imagine a lot of the latter will be available on eBay, the buy/sell/trade thread here, etc.
Ah damn, I was hoping it would be open for all to subscribe. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So if you give a friend a Buddy Pass, do they still need to go and get A chromecast or is that only for if you want 4k on the tv?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
So if you give a friend a Buddy Pass, do they still need to go and get A chromecast or is that only for if you want 4k on the tv?
Need the Chromecast ultra if you want to play on TV until they announce otherwise. On pc chrome browser I think they're fine.

Wait would those playing on TV via Chromecast need to buy the controller as well? I'm guessing there's no way to hook up kbm or ds4 to a tv

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
From their FAQ section:

Here's what you need to play Stadia on a TV:
  • A Google account
    • Not compatible with Google for Work, Google for Education, and certain other managed Google accounts
  • Stadia Founder's Edition or a Stadia Buddy Pass and a Stadia Controller
  • Google Chromecast Ultra
  • The Stadia app (available on Google Play or in the Apple App Store)
    • The Android version requires a mobile device running Android 6.0 or greater
    • The iOS version requires an iOS device running iOS 11.0 or greater
  • A reliable internet connection (10 Mbps or greater is recommended)

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
This is a good strategy, but it's also worth noting that most Xbox exclusives also come to PC. I'm currently using Shadow streaming to play Gears 5, for instance.

This is probably what I'll be doing for Flight Simulator. Funny kinda feeling that at that point I will be on multiple game streaming services (and I also have PS Now). It's like a whole other layer of gaming "devices", except with service wrappings around them.

Launch is a month away without an official date. That's worrying.

I don't think so. I'm old enough to remember the uncertainty there was around console launches in the 8/16 bit days. I think, over time people aligned around various expectations around launches, in a large part tied to inventory control and distribution considerations. You strategically planned your marketing around a date that meshed well with your logistics of delivering your product to stores.

With Stadia there are obviously no physical delivery considerations. They should be able to choose a date, announce it, and then just flick a switch, right? But in fact, there are other types of delivery considerations. If you want a smooth rollout of an online service, you will be coordinating your launch with several internal and partner teams, and this both takes time and needs a level of "room to maneuver" to carry it out.

So you have to look at the launch of a service like this less like traditional game products, and more like how the rollout of a major online website or service goes. And typically, for those, there is a rolling release date.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I can see Stadia getting off to a really rough, problem-filled start.

Will be interesting to see Stadia "beta tested" for another year or more. IMO, Project Stream / AssCreed seemed more like an Alpha test. In November Stadia is going into its "real" Beta test, even though Google calls it an official launch.

I'm really curious to see how far Stadia and xCloud come by say, May 2021 or so (~6 months after PS5/Scarlett launch) as far as streaming next-generation games that aren't out until late 2020 early 2021.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Chromecast ultra has an Ethernet port built into the ac adapter

That is so awesome, I didn't know that.

27c8239dbd1b05f4d4afaecb3a4d242e-product.jpg

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I can see Stadia getting off to a really rough, problem-filled start.

Will be interesting to see Stadia "beta tested" for another year or more. IMO, Project Stream / AssCreed seemed more like an Alpha test. In November Stadia is going into its "real" Beta test, even though Google calls it an official launch.

It's possible, in fact more likely than not. But I don't think most people buying the Founders Edition are expecting a completely smooth thing, right? I feel like most people realize it's essentially a public beta.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I have a feeling they said it was 15 minutes, but I could just be mis-remembering it.
That might instead be the time it takes for a session to get cut off after you lose connection which is apparently ~10-15 mins. I asked that question on Reddit before. I was almost going to answer that to the idle time as well till I realized it wasn't the same thing.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think the November launch of Stadia will be really solid in terms of the core streaming technology. Of course there will be bad experiences because internet quality varies wildly, but I think the overwhelming majority of "founders" who try it will find it's a totally viable way to play AAA games and more forgiving to bad connections than anyone expected.

Where it'll probably falter is in the whole overarching service layer. I don't think we're gonna get much more than the basics at launch. Friends lists, party invites, but not much more. These are the features they'll build out pretty quickly over the founder period, into the "real" global launch of the base tier, and beyond.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Where it'll probably falter is in the whole overarching service layer. I don't think we're gonna get much more than the basics at launch. Friends lists, party invites, but not much more. These are the features they'll build out pretty quickly over the founder period, into the "real" global launch of the base tier, and beyond.
I think pricing and game offering are likely to be a much bigger issue. Maybe the service could measure up to or exceed a console offering but if it doesn't have those consoles games (exclusives) then it won't actually be a replacement for those consoles so that's still where people will go.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think pricing and game offering are likely to be a much bigger issue. Maybe the service could measure up to or exceed a console offering but if it doesn't have those consoles games (exclusives) then it won't actually be a replacement for those consoles so that's still where people will go.

To me the pricing arrangement as we know it is a non-issue. It's the same offer as every other gaming platform: you pay $60 and you "own" a game. It could go badly if Stadia is much weaker on sale prices, which I think is a real possibility compared to Steam or retail. It'll likely be more akin to console digital distribution which rarely reach the firesale prices we see elsewhere. But for new AAA games, I think the debates about ownership and offline gaming will not be significant outside of enthusiast forums.

Regarding console exclusives, imo you're missing like half of the best games of the generation if you don't own a Playstation. There's no way I won't get a PS5. So assuming I have both, and assuming the core gameplay experience is not compromised on Stadia, where will I buy most games? Will PS5 only be for exclusives, or will it be my primary platform? To me the convenience and portability of Stadia is really significant. Being able to take my $60 purchase from the living room to a laptop to a phone is very attractive. Immediately accessing my library with no install, patch, or firmware update is also very attractive. I'm willing to go along with the downsides of Stadia (always online being the main one to me) to get those benefits. It really comes down to how good the streaming is imo. Of course it's not going to be 0 (or negative!) latency, but within like 50ms, I don't think I can tell the difference. Same with the compression quality. Bluray is technically compressed, but it's the gold standard in home video quality. So will Stadia be closer to that, or closer to a low quality youtube stream? We'll find out next month.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually eager to try this out, even if only for novelty sake... But as someone that already has a Chromecast Ultra, I'm not paying for another one. Will have to wait for the regular release.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually eager to try this out, even if only for novelty sake... But as someone that already has a Chromecast Ultra, I'm not paying for another one. Will have to wait for the regular release.
I have Firestick in every TV, but at least with the Amazon Disney spat the Chromecast will be useful to watch Disney+ on

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
That might instead be the time it takes for a session to get cut off after you lose connection which is apparently ~10-15 mins. I asked that question on Reddit before. I was almost going to answer that to the idle time as well till I realized it wasn't the same thing.
Yes I think you're right. I'm on the Stadia sub reddit quite a bit so probably saw it there myself after you asked.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I just finished reading the stadia feature on Edge and it got me out of the "no news" funk I've been in about it. They liked it quite a bit and also liked the controller feel. I just want to see a demo of the UI etc. I was thinking about what else I need/want to see and I realized I really want to see side by sides of a game on say the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X vs that same game on Stadia. I'm assuming that it will be like comparing the same game from console to high end PC settings but I want to see it on stadia. I'm probably one of the users here most excited for Stadia and ordered day one but come on Google show me some love!!! LoL

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What all can you stream to at Launch? Just a TV via the chrome cast? Or are phones, tablets, computers available as streaming platforms at launch too?

Also, which phones / tablets?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
What all can you stream to at Launch? Just a TV via the chrome cast? Or are phones, tablets, computers available as streaming platforms at launch too?

Also, which phones / tablets?
This was what was in my founder's email
Look out for your bundle in the mail. Unbox Stadia Founder's Edition and start playing games on your TV and across laptops, desktops, and Pixel 3 and 3a.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Is is true that stadia requires controller support for games? I was hoping they would also support PC centric games, especially strategy games. That would eliminate my need for a gaming PC.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's possible, in fact more likely than not. But I don't think most people buying the Founders Edition are expecting a completely smooth thing, right? I feel like most people realize it's essentially a public beta.
My feeling is that the founders will be beta testers for many things. I think the core technology is there, but they need to stress servers, and ensure party/social works as desired. They probably also understand that founders are essentially either people with disposable income, pure fans of gaming willing to give new things a try, fans of google, and a small percentage of casuals who don't know any better so if something goes wrong the outcry would pale in comparison if they had released to the entire public. Maybe they understand they are on a tight leash with the public, so whatever they put out needs to be good.

If we are speculating here, this could simply be a tactic to minimize a Murphy's Law outcome on a mass user level.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
My feeling is that the founders will be beta testers for many things. I think the core technology is there, but they need to stress servers, and ensure party/social works as desired. They probably also understand that founders are essentially either people with disposable income, pure fans of gaming willing to give new things a try, fans of google, and a small percentage of casuals who don't know any better so if something goes wrong the outcry would pale in comparison if they had released to the entire public. Maybe they understand they are on a tight leash with the public, so whatever they put out needs to be good.

If we are speculating here, this could simply be a tactic to minimize a Murphy's Law outcome on a mass user level.
I think the founder's launch is exactly this

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
With Doom Eternal being delayed has this lost a launch title?

or has it been delayed to make it exclusive?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

No speculating -- one could say that is essentially what it is, and part and parcel of releasing a service today on a scale like this. Any other way of doing it would be folly.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Ah ok cool. I wonder if laptop / desktop support includes Macs.

Shame that it doesn't support iPad at launch.

taken from stadia page:

Stadia Support

On a computer
  • A Google account
    • Not compatible with Google for Work, Google for Education and certain other managed Google accounts
  • Stadia Founder's Edition or a Stadia Buddy Pass
  • A computer with a recent version of Chrome browser
  • The Stadia app (available on Google Play or in the Apple App Store)
    • The Android version requires a mobile device running Android 6.0 or greater
    • The iOS version requires a mobile device running iOS 11.0 or greater
  • A reliable Internet connection (10 Mbps or greater is recommended)
  • A Stadia Controller, a mouse and keyboard, a Playstation DualShock® 4 Controller, an Xbox One Controller or another supported controller.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Its sort of shocking that Google hasn't even been bothered to set some astroturfers up here lol. The level of excitement here, at a game enthusiast forum, where at the very least discussion would be highest and its practically nil. No one even claims that their uncle works at google. No leaks lol.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Its sort of shocking that Google hasn't even been bothered to set some astroturfers up here lol. The level of excitement here, at a game enthusiast forum, where at the very least discussion would be highest and its practically nil. No one even claims that their uncle works at google. No leaks lol.
All the astroturfers are on r/stadia

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018

I would discuss Stadia and my optimism around the platform here but I don't think anyone wants to hear the positives of the platform? I've been an Onlive, ps now and Geforce Now user and can tell you without hesitation that if Google get this tech right it'll take off in a big way if the publishers jump on board.

DoublePlusRad

Jan 29, 2018
I pre-ordered this forever ago, and I'm still trying to figure out if I want to cancel. It's not that expensive, and I'm intrigued by the controller / etc., but I have a PC and consoles and I'm not sure I really want to buy games piecemeal for full retail price for a streaming service.

If they don't end up having some sort of thing like gamepass / apple arcade / google play pass I'll likely just cancel it before whenever it comes out in November even though I thought the prior AC Odyssey streaming thing worked surprisingly well on my setup.

I need it to either support games I've purchased on other platforms or have some sort of all-you-can-eat option.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I would discuss Stadia and my optimism around the platform here but I don't think anyone wants to hear the positives of the platform?
Not here...yet

There is a ton of insecurity combined with console tribalism creating the constant shit posts for any Stadia thread.

Hopefully when the thing launches moderators will keep it in check like every other platform.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Not here...yet

There is a ton of insecurity combined with console tribalism creating the constant shit posts for any Stadia thread.

Hopefully when the thing launches moderators will keep it in check like every other platform.

Yep. For now I'm keeping my in-depth knowledge and use-case history of the tech on the down low. I just can't wait to start using the service.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017

100% agree here. I was in the beta which was a full year ago, and it was in great technical shape even then. They have had a full year to continue working on the tech. Google has the infrastructure in place, so I don't expect the typical launch day overload will be an issue. At this point, the real questions are around value proposition and business model.

If they offered Control at 60fps at launch, I'd be jump in.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I would discuss Stadia and my optimism around the platform here but I don't think anyone wants to hear the positives of the platform? I've been an Onlive, ps now and Geforce Now user and can tell you without hesitation that if Google get this tech right it'll take off in a big way if the publishers jump on board.
Every Stadia thread here is 10% honest discussion and 90% drive-by shitposts from people who clearly have no interest in learning anything about it or giving it a fair shake.

Dec 5, 2017
Every Stadia thread here is 10% honest discussion and 90% drive-by shitposts from people who clearly have no interest in learning anything about it or giving it a fair shake.

I agree, I fundamentally don't understand why it's viewed so negatively. If I was Google's marketing I would've launched it as a beta with a formal launch in spring with the free option.

Anyone in America who wants to buy Madden next year no longer has to buy a 400 dollar console.

I'm not saying it's great for hardcore gamers, but it's An amazing concept with a bright future.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I fundamentally don't understand why it's viewed so negatively. If I was Google's marketing I would've launched it as a beta with a formal launch in spring with the free option.

Anyone in America who wants to buy Madden next year no longer has to buy a 400 dollar console.

I'm not saying it's great for hardcore gamers, but it's An amazing concept with a bright future.
Agreed, but to data EA had made no mention of developing for Stadia which is a huge need for Google to get the sport audience

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Google's marketing I would've launched it as a beta with a formal launch in spring with the free option.
That's basically what they are doing. Founder's Edition is for early adopters who don't mind everything not being perfect, and the formal launch with the free option is coming in "2020".

As for sports, it's launching with Football Manager 2020

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$10/month + $60 a game to stream? Not sure how that is a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.