• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
The no pay to play online is a big deal to me. I hate PSN and XBL making you pay to play online and I refuse to do so.

- Can you use other controllers (i.e. Dualshock, Xbox controller, 3rd party controller, or do you have to use Stadia's controller)?
- Can you stream the game in 2 different devices simultaneously (i.e. can I buy Destiny 2 and play it with my nephew by giving him my account info)?
- Any word on Activision (specifically COD) and EA (specifically Jedi: FO and Battlefront)?

I'm still hoping they confirm this takes google play money as well instead of coming up with a different account.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna try Stadia Pro but I absolutely do not need any more controllers or streaming boxes in my house :P

Wish I could sign up for the founders edition but just use my computer and any of my existing controllers.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia Version of the game will be the best version outside of 1,000$+ PCs, there's no reason to buy it on ps5 if you have it on stadia
It's really too early to tell that. It has potential to be the most technologically advanced version, that is true. But a lot of people choose their game consoles based on which ones their friends have so they can play multiplayer games with their friends. It's too early to tell if Stadia will really take off, but it's a good bet that PS5 will sell good enough to have lots of friends for multiplayer gaming.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Yep. For now I'm keeping my in-depth knowledge and use-case history of the tech on the down low. I just can't wait to start using the service.

Stadia is going to be my primary platform for my wife and I.

Currently I have 2 Xbox One Xs and 2 PS4 Pros which we play co op games like the Division 2 and what not.

Next-gen I am only getting one Xbox Scarlett and (unbelievably) only one PS5 for the exclusive games on each of those platforms.

Multi-plats will be Stadia.

I think Stadia is going to be a fantastic platform for me (gigabit internet with no data cap) and will be the primary way I plan on playing games with my wife in the foreseeable future.

Also

The Stadia platform is designed as scalable hardware. Google showed a demo at GDC2019 which, according to Digital Foundry, used THREE 10.7TF Stadia GPU instances together (32.1TF)

Furthermore, Google claims that they are constantly developing upgraded hardware, the first of which they will deploy on the Stadia cloud service within a year or two(those will almost certainly be Navi-based with built-in Ray Tracing)

The end user doesn't have to pay for this upgraded hardware, which is one of the prime benefits of Stadia to begin with.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah it's gonna be hard to pump out 4K 60FPS streams depending on your internet. Even a shitty connection can manage to play at that resolution if the content is downloaded.

I'm interested in trying something out stadia though. Due to the browser support.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Guess you will be surprised when stadia is higher resolution than ps5 more often
This is a great example of how the thirst for a *number of pixels is perceived as = better image quality. If a theoretical games was 1800p on PS5 and 4K on Stadia ( or any streaming service such as xcloud ) the local version would look cleaner and sharper.

Druida

Nov 22, 2017
Can't compare the image quality betwen streaming 4k and native 4k .
One frame native at 4k are 30 megabytes at 60fps are 2 gigabytes for second, Google streaming at 30mb/s.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Stadia Version of the game will be the best version outside of 1,000$+ PCs, there's no reason to buy it on ps5 if you have it on stadia

lt really isn't.
By nature of the transcoding taking place, even with the best internet connection, you're going to get video compression artefacts, and the clarity of the image is not going to match the PC version running locally. Same any 4K YouTube video never matches the clarity of the raw 4K video originally recorded.

Worse still, you get none of the benefits of having an actual PC game:
- high refresh rates well over 60hz
- variable refresh rate display support
- ultra wide support
- offline play
- Modifying games for the above, support of additional applications and their feature sets (eg Steam Input, SweetFX, texture packs and other mods)
- Predictable perpetuity of games
- Broader Game availability

Even PS5 can potentially provide image quality superior to Stadia, since it isn't having to deal with video compression. It will just depend on what is happening per game on PS5.

As far as PC goes, Steam Link Anywhere provides the same flexibility for games you already own, minus HDR (not sure on surround sound, which it can do via local streaming) - utilising the games and hardware you own. The investment in a PC doesn't need to be high end for most of this. Regardless of how much you spend, the investment carries over, making subsequent builds or upgrades extremely cost effective if your happy to sell your old parts second hand. Between 2007 to 2014 I did this every 2 to 3 years for less than the cost of XBL Gold. Now I invested a bit more because I can.

With all this being said, the value of Stadia is super dubious for a large amount of people. For countries where PC gaming and consoles and ridiculously unaffordable, but internet connectivity is reasonable, Stadia is an awesome solution.

If you're happy to lose all the possibilities of PC gaming noted and take a hit on image quality, Stadia has it's neat conveniences and provides a simple entry into gaming

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lt really isn't.
By nature of the transcoding taking place, even with the best internet connection, you're going to get video compression artefacts, and the clarity of the image is not going to match the PC version running locally. Same any 4K YouTube video never matches the clarity of the raw 4K video originally recorded.

Worse still, you get none of the benefits of having an actual PC game:
- high refresh rates well over 60hz
- variable refresh rate display support
- ultra wide support
- offline play
- Modifying games for the above, support of additional applications and their feature sets (eg Steam Input, SweetFX, texture packs and other mods)
- Predictable perpetuity of games
- Broader Game availability

Even PS5 can potentially provide image quality superior to Stadia, since it isn't having to deal with video compression. It will just depend on what is happening per game on PS5.

As far as PC goes, Steam Link Anywhere provides the same flexibility for games you already own, minus HDR (not sure on surround sound, which it can do via local streaming) - utilising the games and hardware you own. The investment in a PC doesn't need to be high end for most of this. Regardless of how much you spend, the investment carries over, making subsequent builds or upgrades extremely cost effective if your happy to sell your old parts second hand. Between 2007 to 2014 I did this every 2 to 3 years for less than the cost of XBL Gold. Now I invested a bit more because I can.

With all this being said, the value of Stadia is super dubious for a large amount of people. For countries where PC gaming and consoles and ridiculously unaffordable, but internet connectivity is reasonable, Stadia is an awesome solution.

If you're happy to lose all the possibilities of PC gaming noted and take a hit on image quality, Stadia has it's neat conveniences and provides a simple entry into gaming
There's not enough difference between a high end pc and stadia for the higher cost of a pc to be worth it to me. I look for every possible way to save money and not having to buy or upgrade a pc ever again is a big one, I'm not even planning to use stadias 4k sub every month, just going to use it every once in awhile when a big game releases like cyberpunk. 80% of the time I'm going to be using the free stadia base

plus a lot of things you listed will be coming to stadia later, I also don't have to worry about hard drive space with these games that are starting to take up 150 to 200 gigs of space

constantly deleting and reinstalling 150 gig games would feel annoying and outdated compared to stadia

Last edited:

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
There's not enough difference between a high end pc and stadia for the higher cost of a pc to be worth it to me, plus a lot of things you listed will be coming to stadia later. I also don't have to worry about hard drive space with these games that are starting to take up 150 to 200 gigs of space

constantly deleting and reinstalling 150 gig games would feel annoying and outdated compared to stadia
Only two of those things are actually possible on stadia, and there's no indication they will even come.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only two of those things are actually possible on stadia, and there's no indication they will even come.
They said 120 fps is coming
No reason it can't have ultra wide support
Library will obviously get larger
Don't know about variable refresh it might be possible
It can't play offline, I'm almost never not online though

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The biggest problem with Stadia will be Stadia themselves. I have the feeling that that Google have to many fingers in it and they stopping some of the normal type announcements. How and why cant they announce the date? How and why cant they announce the launch games there are only 5 confirmed for the Founders Launch now.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
They said 120 fps is coming
No reason it can't have ultra wide support
Library will obviously get larger
Don't know about variable refresh it might be possible
It can't play offline, I'm almost never not online though

120fps has been mentioned as a "future" target, and still only reaching the lower end of the high refresh rate monitors popular right now.
There is no evidence that Stadia will support variable refresh displays, also very popular right now
Same with Ultrwide display support.
Broader game selection will not remotely be met by Stadia for the terms I am describing. Stadia requires native Linux ports utilising Vulkan. That isn't going to happen for many thousands of games that won't even have consideration. At least on PC even if you're a Linux Steam user, you get to benefit from Valves investment in the ecosystem via compatibility brought by Proton.
PC Gaming benefits hugely from ownership and cross application support, making many games live well beyond their developers lifetime.

You seem to be betting that Google will magically do things they haven't stated. In consideration of the speed at which Google have shut down initiatives failing to meet their goals, it's a bad bet.

more importantly to your original point - there is no reason to believe Stadia will provide better image quality than PS5. Even using the highest "PC settings" for the best fidelity, the video compression will not be able to recreate that fidelity per the original rendered frames. So it's likely for games natively rendering are 4K for PS5, it would look better on the console.

Yes on the console version you'll miss out on some other details possible via PC, but as someone predominantly gaming on PC, IQ always has priority over everything else, as there isn't much point rendering at such a level and having that detail be lost. Of course everyone has their own priorities for their games

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
120fps has been mentioned as a "future" target, and still only reaching the lower end of the high refresh rate monitors popular right now.
There is no evidence that Stadia will support variable refresh displays, also very popular right now
Same with Ultrwide display support.
Broader game selection will not remotely be met by Stadia for the terms I am describing. Stadia requires native Linux ports utilising Vulkan. That isn't going to happen for many thousands of games that won't even have consideration. At least on PC even if you're a Linux Steam user, you get to benefit from Valves investment in the ecosystem via compatibility brought by Proton.
PC Gaming benefits hugely from ownership and cross application support, making many games live well beyond their developers lifetime.

You seem to be betting that Google will magically do things they haven't stated. In consideration of the speed at which Google have shut down initiatives failing to meet their goals, it's a bad bet.

more importantly to your original point - there is no reason to believe Stadia will provide better image quality than PS5. Even using the highest "PC settings" for the best fidelity, the video compression will not be able to recreate that fidelity per the original rendered frames. So it's likely for games natively rendering are 4K for PS5, it would look better on the console.

Yes on the console version you'll miss out on some other details possible via PC, but as someone predominantly gaming on PC, IQ always has priority over everything else, as there isn't much point rendering at such a level and having that detail be lost. Of course everyone has their own priorities for their games
It will have plenty of game's as time goes on, if it's ever missing a game I want for some reason I have GeForce now as back up.

I'm more interested in saving money than the small differences between streaming quality and local quality, something that most people would only notice if they had them side by side and maybe not even then

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It will have plenty of game's as time goes on, if it's ever missing a game I want for some reason I have GeForce now as back up.

I'm more interested in saving money than the small differences between streaming quality and local quality, something that most people would only notice if they had them side by side

We are not on the same page for the definition of a broad range of games. By a massive margin. In consideration of PC gaming in particular, that scales from extremely high end to bespoke indie games. Neither service meets the game availability on PC spanning decades.

Indeed this is a service aimed for the more casual gamer, or someone entirely new, looking for short term savings and not concerned on latency, image quality, and service issues. If this is where you are, it was pointless to discuss "the best version" vs PS5 and high end gaming PCs, both of which accomplish different quality and ecosystem goals

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We are not on the same page for the definition of a broad range of games. By a massive margin. In consideration of PC gaming in particular, that scales from extremely high end to bespoke indie games. Neither service meets the game availability on PC spanning decades.

Indeed this is a service aimed for the more casual gamer, or someone entirely new, looking for short term savings and not concerned on latency, image quality, and service issues. If this is where you are, it was pointless to discuss "the best version" vs PS5 and high end gaming PCs, both of which accomplish different quality and ecosystem goals
More than short term savings long term too lol, I'm only going to spend like 30 - 40$ a year on stadia and never have to buy a new pc or upgrade existing pc ever again or hard drive space

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
I don't see how variable refresh rate is possible considering it's a video steam.

Yes I now videos with Variable Framerate is a thing but afaik know none of them actually work together with Gsync/FreeSync

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i have a pretty damn high end PC but part of me is hoping this really takes off. if the performance/quality can really match a good PC and the visuals/controls are good enough then i'll probably use it a lot.

my question is...do i need to use their controller if i were playing games on my PC through Chrome browser? i'd like to use a keyboard/mouse or my XB1 controller.

i'm really tempted to bite and pre order. i'm planning on buying a 4K chromecast anyway at some point and that thing on it's own is like £70 on it's on. the Stadia pre order is £120. £50 for a controller + early access + 3 months of Pro is quite good. it'd cost £27 for 3 months so really you're paying £13 for the controller.

I don't see how variable refresh rate is possible considering it's a video steam.

Yes I now videos with Variable Framerate is a thing but afaik know none of them actually work together with Gsync/FreeSync
it's not just a video stream. your inputs are being sent from your home and the video stream is coming back. i don't know if it's possible but i can only imagine that their system will detect the framerate and send a request back with the video to the controller inside your freesync/gsync monitor.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i have a pretty damn high end PC but part of me is hoping this really takes off. if the performance/quality can really match a good PC and the visuals/controls are good enough then i'll probably use it a lot.

my question is...do i need to use their controller if i were playing games on my PC through Chrome browser? i'd like to use a keyboard/mouse or my XB1 controller.

i'm really tempted to bite and pre order. i'm planning on buying a 4K chromecast anyway at some point and that thing on it's own is like £70 on it's on. the Stadia pre order is £120. £50 for a controller + early access + 3 months of Pro is quite good. it'd cost £27 for 3 months so really you're paying £13 for the controller.

it's not just a video stream. your inputs are being sent from your home and the video stream is coming back. i don't know if it's possible but i can only imagine that their system will detect the framerate and send a request back with the video to the controller inside your freesync/gsync monitor.
You can use mouse and keyboard and other controllers

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I'm not 100% sure if that's at launch though I just remember them saying you can do that
no problem. i was just thinking about that there. i know the controller/chromecast would be for on my TV but i'm not sure if i'd be able to play on my PC.

not a big deal though. still gonna get it. i'm willing to be an early adopter and deal with all the things that come with it.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Could be awesome but it's a shame there is no mouse/keyboard support on chromecast. I'm guessing chromecast will only support the official stadia controller?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
More than short term savings long term too lol, I'm only going to spend like 30 - 40$ a year on stadia and never have to buy a new pc or upgrade existing pc ever again or hard drive space

Shifting the goal posts from the original topic of "best version" but, yes - you have minimal cost if you count no games and the current sub costs
The prices of subscription will keep increasing, as will game prices - more so with out store competition to chase better deals.

My point is, the "best version" on PC, is always going to be the same whether you have the cheaper PC or high end PC - the game version doesn't change, and you can shift up a gear whenever you feel like it. Equally on console, you can choose when to enter if you really need "cheap" options.

With Stadia, perpetuity is at its most laughable position. There is no clarity on this for the long term, let alone the service itself

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shifting the goal posts from the original topic of "best version" but, yes - you have minimal cost if you count no games and the current sub costs
The prices of subscription will keep increasing, as will game prices - more so with out store competition to chase better deals.

My point is, the "best version" on PC, is always going to be the same whether you have the cheaper PC or high end PC - the game version doesn't change, and you can shift up a gear whenever you feel like it. Equally on console, you can choose when to enter if you really need "cheap" options.

With Stadia, perpetuity is at its most laughable position. There is no clarity on this for the long term, let alone the service itself
I still think it will be equal to pc when it comes to its graphic settings and resolution outside of streaming quality difference that most people won't notice, I probably could notice small differences if i had them directly beside each other but I wouldn't care enough to spend 700$ - 1,000$ on a pc for that. if I have cyberpunk on stadia I'm not buying it on ps5

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Could be awesome but it's a shame there is no mouse/keyboard support on chromecast. I'm guessing chromecast will only support the official stadia controller?
Your guess is correct.

Chromecast does not actually support any controller. The way it works is that the Stadia controller has software inside it that sends its inputs to Google. That's why it is the only way to play on a Chromecast.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
So do we know anything about the UI or store or will we run most things through an app like google wifi? Curious what features we will have at launch. I know things like Achievements wont be there but will it keep track of time played on games?

Just curious about the overall UI and from what I have been able to find..there is nothing out there yet. Seems odd..

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So do we know anything about the UI or store or will we run most things through an app like google wifi? Curious what features we will have at launch. I know things like Achievements wont be there but will it keep track of time played on games?

Just curious about the overall UI and from what I have been able to find..there is nothing out there yet. Seems odd..
They said achievements are coming, haven't shown Ui or anything yet, they just said you will see it in November

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
- Can you use other controllers (i.e. Dualshock, Xbox controller, 3rd party controller, or do you have to use Stadia's controller)?
Yes, you will be able to use PlayStation and Xbox controllers with Stadia, but those obviously won't connect directly to the Stadia servers via wifi like the official controller will.

- Can you stream the game in 2 different devices simultaneously (i.e. can I buy Destiny 2 and play it with my nephew by giving him my account info)?
No, you can only stream to one device at a time.

- Any word on Activision (specifically COD) and EA (specifically Jedi: FO and Battlefront)?
EA was shown as a developer during the Stadia reveal announcement, but they have not named any specific games they'll be providing. Activision has not been announced as a developer (yet).

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
They should allow stream to multiple devices but only allow 1 person per game
I don't know. If you're already paying to even get 4k do you think multiple separate gamestreams at once is going to be something they're happy with? If anything I'd assume there to be a limit of 3 or something rather than the number of individual games you'd have.

How will Stadia Pro work for a family? Can I share it or not? (i.e. Family Sharing)
Stay tuned for more details on upcoming Stadia features.

No info yet I guess

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. If you're already paying to even get 4k do you think multiple separate gamestreams at once is going to be something they're happy with? If anything I'd assume there to be a limit of 3 or something rather than the number of individual games you'd have.

No info yet I guess
Yea they could do like 3 devices but only 1 person per game

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I'm ready. I have a 5G phone (speed is crazy when I'm connected) and I have gigabit internet with no data caps. So I'll definitely try it alongside my PC of course and whatever Nintendo puts out.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

In theory you could trigger a 'refresh display now' command when a new frame is ready. I don't see why not. This is only a matter of time in my opinion.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

This is all we've seen about the UI:
T6TrZ8D.jpg

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Huh, ordered stadia day 1 (06/06) and it looks like here in Canada it says delivered by November 22-25? I would have thought it would be here ready for the 19th?

Status
Not open for further replies.