• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That first one isn't an "oof". The Stadia product manager for fun decided he could deliver one Stadia to someone in the Bay Area (based on their order number and how close they were to his daily commute).
Yeah this is just people blowing shit out of proportion, and promptly when it starts ERA will somehow all now own a Stadia, and refuse to shit talk it.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He added the "they said you're going to have to buy another $60 game for your kids" They even said that not all games will be priced like that and they'll be competitive with other markets. My guess is the only full price games will be RDR and Gylt.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first confirmation I've seen on several of those, and it's also enough closer to launch that it's peeling away hope for launch-window solutions on many of them. Obviously a lot of people didn't know, since they came up in today's AMA.
Their messaging is terrible, but yeah, that's all been known.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
So,since Destiny 2 is Free 2 Play, does that mean I can use it to try Stadia without paying money?
huh, so they are basically charging you for Forsaken,Shadowkeep and 4 seasons. Interesting.
No, F2P games aren't supported on Stadia yet and to access Stadia at launch, you have to be subbed to Stadia Pro.

Also, even if you buy the Founders/Premier edition which have been marketed as coming with Destiny 2: The Collection, you will NOT retain access to that content on Stadia Base without a paid monthly Pro subscription.

If I sign up for Stadia Pro a year from now I don't get all of the past Pro games for free; I get whatever the current offering is.

That's what I mean by eventually it will fall off Pro; it wont' be free to new subscribers after some time.

edit: Basically extrapolating that from this form the FAQ

I suppose Destiny 2 could be permanently offered; but the assumption is that it's more like PSN+ XBLG where there are a rolling set of games that are offered.. and eventually leave the subscription. You keep them as long as you were subscribed during a time when they were offered.

A clarification that they conveniently didn't surface until they were almost sold out of the Founders edition. Sort of scummy, since that seriously diminished the perceived value of that purchase.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Also, even if you buy the Founders/Premier edition which have been marketed as coming with Destiny 2: The Collection, you will NOT retain access to that content on Stadia Base without a paid monthly Pro subscription.

A clarification that they conveniently didn't surface until they were almost sold out of the Founders edition. Sort of scummy, since that seriously diminished the perceived value of that purchase.

That's not true at all, they put that in their FAQ in July.

And anyone can cancel their pre-order any time; nobody has even been charged money yet.

Not sure why anyone would have assumed you'd keep your Pro games upon unsubscribing; that's not how any service like that works, at all.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
What's going on with their speed testing tool? I tried both twice right after each other and neither result changed.

QL6eKtG.png

Speedtest.net:

jfj5eAV.png

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Speedtest Usually picks a server like down the street from people.

Googles tool is testing your speed to what you'd imagine is their closest data center.
I wouldn't think that distance to a server would matter much for download speed, just ping, but maybe? Speedtest.net gives me 20-30mbps with servers on the west coast and east coast (I'm in the American midwest). I wonder where these Stadia servers are, then.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I wouldn't think that distance to a server would matter much for download speed, just ping, but maybe? Speedtest.net gives me 20-30mbps with servers on the west coast and east coast (I'm in the American midwest). I wonder where these Stadia servers are, then.

Distance increases the chance of something in the packet routing causing an issue.

Your ISP or some backbone company could update a routine table tomorrow and suddenly your speed / latency changes.

The internet is still a fickle bastard.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
As far as I can tell my connection is optimal, but that's with the assumption Stadia is actually deployed to the Oregon datacenter nearest me.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Wait what? I missed that bit.
Only TVs will get 4K, HDR, 5.1 surround audio at launch. The rest will be gradually rolling out.

Edit: Full quote and source
Finally, on 11/19 we'll be only streaming 4K / HDR / 5.1 to Chromecast Ultra. We know from the feedback the Founders gave us that the 4K TV must be our top priority for launch. On day 1, PC Chrome gameplay won't support 4K, HDR, or 5.1 Surround Sound. But in the spirit of gradual rollout, we'll be adding support for 4K/HDR/5.1 on PCs in 2020.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah it's probably all part of just staggering usage of the service; will make it so less people are using 4k all the time. And particularly when they initially ship and hand out codes, before anyone has the Chroemcasts in their hands they know the initial users will all be 1080p.

I'm hoping that's all it is at least; if it's an actual technical issue with how well 4k is performing on PC that would suck.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's probably all part of just staggering usage of the service; will make it so less people are using 4k all the time. And particularly when they initially ship and hand out codes, before anyone has the Chroemcasts in their hands they know the initial users will all be 1080p.

I'm hoping that's all it is at least; if it's an actual technical issue with how well 4k is performing on PC that would suck.
None of this matters 3 - 6 months from now

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah we don't know why these things are the way they are. No 4k on Chrome, limited device support... it could be because 4k is only working well in limited conditions which could take a while to get working to their satisfaction. Or they might just be staggering things as part of a purposefully stunted rollout. We don't know. Could be a bit of both.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

I'm thinking the lack of 4K/hdr/5.1 on PC at launch is exactly as they said, they were putting their efforts into optimizing 4K for the Chromecast Ultra as a priority over PC. Chromecast Ultra has two advantages over Chrome on PC: first, it's a huge variety of computers that they need to support, so will take extra time to optimize and test the service to work great on as many configurations as possible, and second, Chromecast Ultra has something that PC doesn't: hardware support for Google's VP9 Video Codec (which does support realtime encoding and decoding of 4K/hdr). The Chrome browser can decode VP9, but since it's in software, there will be extra decoding time required depending on the power of the computer (which goes back to point 1), especially for higher bitrates (such as those needed for 4k).

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Chromecast Ultra has two advantages over Chrome on PC: first, it's a huge variety of computers that they need to support, so will take extra time to optimize and test the service to work great on as many configurations as possible, and second, Chromecast Ultra has something that PC doesn't: hardware support for Google's VP9 Video Codec (which does support realtime encoding and decoding of 4K/hdr). The Chrome browser can decode VP9, but since it's in software, there will be extra decoding time required depending on the power of the computer (which goes back to point 1), especially for higher bitrates (such as those needed for 4k).
It's a videostream. Different hardware configs may have some effect but nothing to the extent that running a game on it would. And this is Google we're talking about. Why would they suddenly have issues sending a videostream to PC's that they wouldn't be able to deal with? They're arguably one of the companies with the most experience with that.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's a videostream. Different hardware configs may have some effect but nothing to the extent that running a game on it would. And this is Google we're talking about. Why would they suddenly have issues sending a videostream to PC's that they wouldn't be able to deal with? They're arguably one of the companies with the most experience with that.
Video streams can be extremely CPU or GPU intensive, depending on the codec, bit rate, even the content being streamed. A gaming PC isn't going to feel it, but read reviews of older netbook pcs, they talk about its video decoding capabilities. As to why they would "suddenly" have issues, they've never needed to do the encoding on their end and decoding on your end in a matter of milliseconds. Sure, video decoding is easy these days. If you don't care if your video stream is delayed by a few seconds, like happens with Twitch, YouTube, Netflix, etc.

Just today I was watching a live auction on Twitch (DesertBus!), and you could clearly see the video lag, reading chat was like reading the future. You would see "Going Twice!" in chat and then 5 seconds later in the video "We're going twice!"

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
When I remember the launch event and how they switched between multiple devices, it's not wrong to say they just went for the wow effect. It was more like a false advertisement in retrospect. Now, barebone launches and terrible UI are common for new console launches as well. But when portability and seamless transition wherever you are should be your main selling points, then launching in this state means Stadia will have a lot of negative press next week.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Video streams can be extremely CPU or GPU intensive, depending on the codec, bit rate, even the content being streamed. A gaming PC isn't going to feel it, but read reviews of older netbook pcs, they talk about its video decoding capabilities. As to why they would "suddenly" have issues, they've never needed to do the encoding on their end and decoding on your end in a matter of milliseconds. Sure, video decoding is easy these days. If you don't care if your video stream is delayed by a few seconds, like happens with Twitch, YouTube, Netflix, etc.

Just today I was watching a live auction on Twitch (DesertBus!), and you could clearly see the video lag, reading chat was like reading the future. You would see "Going Twice!" in chat and then 5 seconds later in the video "We're going twice!"
Because the Twitch guy probably didn't had the low latency mode actived, with that it's basically a live chat, pretty impressive.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Chrome has hardware accelerated VP9...

.. and I don't see what they are going to optimize in Chrome vs. Chromecast. People either have GPUs or they don't; it's all the same codecs whether in Chrome or a Chromecast.'

If anything it's a messaging thing; "4k may not work well on your PC" they don't want to be explaining at launch. Because some dinky laptop that currently can't play 4k60 YouTube videos isn't suddenly going to be able to in a month with some optimizations.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I remember the launch event and how they switched between multiple devices, it's not wrong to say they just went for the wow effect. It was more like a false advertisement in retrospect. Now, barebone launches and terrible UI are common for new console launches as well. But when portability and seamless transition wherever you are should be your main selling points, then launching in this state means Stadia will have a lot of negative press next week.
You can do that at launch

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
no option for any other resolutions? maybe like 1440p?

1080p is a joke. 4k is nice but i'd love a $5 option there for 1440p.

Status
Not open for further replies.