• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1440p30 ? Worst than one X ? Is that for real ?? I keep my preorder but it might stay in box for a long time. Jeez

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
wow so expectations have to be greatly reduced in terms of competing with the upcoming consoles given the RDR2 performance

competing with xcloud + game pass will be difficult if they dont use the same subscription model

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm not sure if I misread but I think DF said they don't have the right internet speed for 4k, you need 35 minimum and they have 30

Nope

On a standard 30mbps fibre connection, it wasn't possible, even though the connection was rated as 'good' (look for a 'great' or 'excellent' rating to avoid issues). This may well be a limitation of my specific home connection - the reason we haven't produced coverage of Microsoft's xCloud yet is that UK ISP Sky seems to have an aversion to streaming platforms. I ended up moving to a Virgin Media connection (rated 'excellent') with a surfeit of bandwidth in order to get the job done. In terms of your connection, Google has a connection checker for determining the type of experience you're likely to get.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
More from DF:

eT9XIGl.png

MAN I was hoping at least Digital Foundry would run gcp ping or whatever.

How can they talk about latency and just not tell us about what latency their connection has to Google's servers?

Do any of the DF guys post here?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
More from DF:

eT9XIGl.png

How can they talk about latency and just not tell us about what latency their connection has to Google's servers?

Dark1x and Dictator are both often active here, but Richard is not to my knowledge. They both live in a different country to Richard so I'm not sure that they can shine any light on this.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They promised unprecedented maxwed out of gaming. We got middle setting. What's the point of this device. Wow. I'm in shock

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
More from DF:

eT9XIGl.png

Several do, but not that author as far as I am aware.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They promised unprecedented maxwed out of gaming. We got middle setting. What's the point of this device. Wow. I'm in shock
They didn't promise that, and they told us how many TF's the graphics card has and what roughly the CPU was.

Anyone could look at that and guess we were getting close to a Vega 56's performance with probably a mid-range CPU.

The results are... as expected, if you paid any attention to that and looked up RDR2 perf analysis on Vega 56.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
There was a lot of dreaming of multiple GPU setups etc but there's not a lot of business sense in that so I can't say I'm too surprised. But somewhere there was still that lingering doubt that, somehow, they pulled off something amazing, even if they were just moneyhatting the whole thing

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
But this is honestly kind of surprising:

With Destiny 2, it's even more obvious that the game isn't running at the highest settings. On a Chromecast Ultra, a "4K" stream looked closer to 1080p, and my colleague Tom Warren and I swore that the 1080p streams we were getting in the Chrome web browser looked more like 720p.

Initially, Google told us that it was using the highest-resolution, highest-fidelity build of Destiny 2 available. But Bungie later confirmed that our eyes weren't deceiving us. "When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings. That explains why the Xbox One X build, which runs at a native 4K and with higher-res assets, looks so much better than Stadia.

Destiny 2 at 1080p medium settings?

WTF?

This plus RDR2 @ 1440p lead me to believe Vega 56 is an over-guess.. maybe a severely underclocked Vega 56? Or is the CPU causing a bottleneck?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They didn't promise that, and they told us how many TF's the graphics card has and what roughly the CPU was.

Anyone could look at that and guess we were getting close to a Vega 56's performance with probably a mid-range CPU.

The results are... as expected, if you paid any attention to that and looked up RDR2 perf analysis on Vega 56.
We were also told that we could expect more from the hardware than on a Windows 10 PC due to it being a fixed spec.

And that 'mid range' CPU compares very favorably against the jaguar cores. There's a reason it's doubling framerate in Destiny and Shadow of the Tomb raider compared to base consoles.

Obviously this Stadia version of RDR2 hasn't had much optimization specifically targeted at the platform and I wasn't expecting it would, but for a game that's already infamous for not being the responsive, yes, I thought they would do what they could to hit 60 fps. I'm surprised Google didn't send in a bunch of engineers to help make it happen, given how high profile that launch is.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
There was a lot of dreaming of multiple GPU setups etc but there's not a lot of business sense in that so I can't say I'm too surprised. But somewhere there was still that lingering doubt that, somehow, they pulled off something amazing, even if they were just moneyhatting the whole thing

xcloud game pass puts an end to that. google have to make a service that can compete financially.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
xcloud game pass puts an end to that. google have to make a service that can compete financially.
I've said this from the beginning. A full cloud service has benefits over a non-cloud service, but they need GAMES. Not already existing games, *new* games that couldn't even exist without that cloud structure. That's the major edge they have, and they should've started on that years ago.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've been telling you guys to lower your expectations for RDR2 @ 4k60.

It was not logical to assume Stadia could pull that off. With the best CPUs in the market, a GPU similar to what is in Stadia could only pull off 4k30 @ High settings.

Stadia is not running the best CPUs in the market.

I thought they're all virtualized anyway?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Given all that I've said about latency in RDR2, I should admit, that even at 60 fps on PC the control lag is way too high for me to ever want to play. So that title was never going to be for me anyway.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
We were also told that we could expect more from the hardware than on a Windows 10 PC due to it being a fixed spec.

And people have been overstating this advantage too.. had an argument a few pages ago about this.

Game devs have had Stadia level hardware available to them for a couple of years. The 11+ TF 1080TI came out in March of 2017. They have not completely ignored that level of hardware, any PC gamer can tell you that.

And that 'mid range' CPU compares very favorably against the jaguar cores. There's a reason it's doubling framerate in Destiny and Shadow of the Tomb raider compared to base consoles.
Yeah I'm just talking about looking up the performance of games on roughly what GPU Stadia is running. You'll have to look to PC Game reviews for that, and they tend to use top of the line PC CPUs FAR beyond Jaguar cores, and probably beyond what is in Stadia logically (they aren't dedicating $1000+ CPUs to each instance.)

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And people have been overstating this advantage too.. had an argument a few pages ago about this.

Game devs have had Stadia level hardware available to them for a couple of years. The 11+ TF 1080TI came out in March of 2017. They have not completely ignored that level of hardware, any PC gamer can tell you that.

Yeah I'm just talking about looking up the performance of games on roughly what GPU Stadia is running. You'll have to look to PC Game reviews for that, and they tend to use top of the line PC CPUs FAR beyond Jaguar cores, and probably beyond what is in Stadia logically (they aren't dedicating $1000+ CPUs to each instance.)
Properly optimized, (and that's key here because I don't think any of these multiplat games have been optimized much beyond their PC ports) you should only need a CPU ballpark twice as capable as what's in the PS4 to hit 60 fps in a game that's 30 fps on consoles. For something like Stadia, a high end CPU would be a bit of a waste on multiplatform games.

And i5 6600K can handle RDR2's CPU code at 60+ fps for most of the game (dropping below 60 in the kind of situations where a PS4 drops below 30).

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I see some people talking about pricing (on reddit) but no link to them, anyone seen an overview yet?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I see some people talking about pricing (on reddit) but no link to them, anyone seen an overview yet?
Stadia Launch Games Pricing
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $59.99 $30.00 Stadia Pro Deal
Gylt - $29.99
Just Dance 2020 - $49.99
Kine - $19.99
Mortal Kombat 11 - $59.99 $41.99 Stadia Pro Deal
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Edition - $59.99
Samurai Showdown - $59.99
Thumper - $19.99
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - $59.99
Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99
Tomb Raider 2013 - $19.99 $10.00 Stadia Pro Deal
Final Fantasy XV - $39.99 $29.99 Stadia Pro Deal

Special Editions:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia Ultimate Edition - $119.99 - $60.00 Stadia Pro Deal
Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition - $89.99 $62.99 Stadia Pro Deal
Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition - $79.99
Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition - $99.99

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Ugh. I mean, I get it, it's normal when publishers release on a new platform to just pretend it's not a game that hasn't been out for a while but it's still annoying to see full price like that for RDR2, even for Pro's. The Odyssey (sale) pricing is much better, pretty much what the game goes on sale for regularly.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
According to Google's Speedtest I got 87Mbps (supposed to be 200, but I am not wired right now) and got a 'Great'. I live about 300km from their Data Center but the service isn't available in my country yet, I guess the ping was what kept me in the Great but not Excellent connection status.

And the reviews are showing what I was expecting, specially with the 'free' game Destiny 2: they will keep the res and details down to save money. There is no way that they will give true 4k with everything maxed out for 'free' games.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Forget red dead, I'm more shocked and disappointed over Destiny 2. Jfc what were they thinking lol
This, I expected the reviews as Google has been so quiet they are obviously scrambling.. But to have employees at Bungie for 6 months and the final product is 1080p at mid settings is not acceptable

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Properly optimized, (and that's key here because I don't think any of these multiplat games have been optimized much beyond their PC ports) you should only need a CPU ballpark twice as capable as what's in the PS4 to hit 60 fps in a game that's 30 fps on consoles. For something like Stadia, a high end CPU would be a bit of a waste on multiplatform games.

And i5 6600K can handle RDR2's CPU code at 60+ fps for most of the game (dropping below 60 in the kind of situations where a PS4 drops below 30).

But there almost has to be something going on besides lack of "optimizations" (everyone's favorite word to throw around that honestly, IMO, is way exagerated.)

Maybe Vulkan just isn't ready for prime time? (in that case, sure, maybe optimizations at that level can be made)

Because these results aren't matching what we are seeing with anything near Vega-56 on PC.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
But there almost has to be something going on besides lack of "optimizations" (everyone's favorite word to throw around that honestly, IMO, is way exagerated.)

Maybe Vulkan just isn't ready for prime time?

Because these results aren't matching what we are seeing with anything near Vega-56 on PC.
Maybe they have to target a locked framerate to keep the latency consistent? I'm not sure. On paper at least it should be totally doable given the hardware, so I'm not sure what else to pin it down on.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Wow so much deception with the 10.7 TFlop GPU against the Xbox X 6 in the presentation when the reality is this:
Initially, Google told us that it was using the highest-resolution, highest-fidelity build of Destiny 2 available. But Bungie later confirmed that our eyes weren't deceiving us. "When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings. That explains why the Xbox One X build, which runs at a native 4K and with higher-res assets, looks so much better than Stadia.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
For those that care, the gamespot impressions video said that the phone grip that comes with the special founders edition controller scratches it.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously debating whether to cancel.

For me, the main draw was improvements over X1X quality, and that doesn't seem to be happening right now. Maybe later ports will run better, but it's surprising to me that that couldn't even match X1X performance with that hardware.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously debating whether to cancel.

For me, the main draw was improvements over X1X quality, and that doesn't seem to be happening right now. Maybe later ports will run better, but it's surprising to me that that couldn't even match X1X performance with that hardware.

It doesnt look like that will happen. They had plenty of time to work with Bungie for example and as I quoted above the X is far superior, rendering at 4K native vs 1080 stadia upscaled

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt look like that will happen. They had plenty of time to work with Bungie for example and as I quoted above the X is far superior, rendering at 4K native vs 1080 stadia
Yeah. Very disappointing.

Edit: Cancelled order. More than happy to revisit if they start to show more promise with future ports, but I'm not rich enough to throw money at Google on the off-chance.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an e-mail from stadia, thought it was my code lol

Please read this before you start playing
We've created a short list of essential steps to help you have the best possible experience with Stadia.

Connect your Google Chromecast Ultra to your router with an Ethernet cable. A wired connection between Chromecast and your router can make a big difference when playing games on your TV.
If you don't have that option, set up your wireless router in the same room as your Chromecast, but keep them at least a foot away from one another.

If playing over WiFi and your home Wi-Fi network supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, use the 5Ghz network.

Set up your Stadia Controller, Chromecast Ultra, and other devices you play on (like your laptop or phone) on the same network.

Don't forget to check your TV settings and make sure Game Mode and Ultra High Definition (UHD) are turned on (if available on your television).

Make sure you're using the Google Home App (available for free on the Play Store and the iOS App Store) to set up your Chromecast before setting up Stadia.

For the best performance, don't stream movies or music to other devices in other parts of the house while playing games on Stadia. It can slow things down.
These steps can make your time playing games on Stadia much more seamless and enjoyable. If you need more help setting things up properly, check out g.co/stadia/help. Enjoy Stadia!

Happy playing,

The Stadia team

Status
Not open for further replies.