• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Google had to purchase AMD hardware to provide for 4K cloud gaming, design controllers and add support for popular controllers, which probably isn't cheap.

XBoxOne had a plan: A box that don't play used games. Money didn't make sure the plan is executed.

Yea money isn't going to save you from anything. I mean we can look at MS with Xbox and see that.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Of course I can which is why I said it will be supplementary. Honest question, do you want it to fail?

They stopped making Xbox systems and investing in games? Wow, talk about a E3 spoiler!

I don't care for it period, I don't care if it fails or not. It wont take over mainstream from what it looks like anyway. If it has no iOS phone support i don't give it more than 2 years out here.

You could have fooled me the way Xbox One games looked from 2016- till now. Buying up some double A studios isnt going to really change much. The way you guys talk about money, you would think the xbox from MS would have done better with the OG Xbox and the Xbox One.Its not about money at all period. Its about having a product that the mass will want. This doenst look like it at all. But we will see.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for it period, I don't care if it fails or not. It wont take over mainstream from what it looks like anyway. If it has no iOS phone support i don't give it more than 2 years out here.
PS4 doesn't have iOS support, XBox One doesn't have iOS support, Switch doesn't have iOS support. Why does Stadia need it to survive? You still haven't explained why you think iOS support is vital for the survival of a next-gen game service. I don't think many people will want to be playing Doom Eternal on an iPhone.

Plus they haven't said it won't have iOS support, it needs Chrome, which is on iOS.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
PS4 doesn't have iOS support, XBox One doesn't have iOS support, Switch doesn't have iOS support. Why does Stadia need it to survive? You still haven't explained why you think iOS support is vital for the survival of a next-gen game service. I don't think many people will want to be playing Doom Eternal on an iPhone.

Plus they haven't said it won't have iOS support, it needs Chrome, which is on iOS.

Yikes.
Im not sure if you are getting it. All those system you name have native box support. they don't just rely on streaming. If you are going to rely on streaming, you need the biggest company out there on mobile on your side, which is the iPhone. Its not that hard to get.

Where do you think Google wants most of their support to come from? Mobile right? thats where they will and can make most of their money. A set alone box for streaming games at home is not going to do so well.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because it needs to come out the gate swinging with iOS support or else it's doomed!

Google has been fine on it's own without iOS support and so have SONY, Microsoft and Nintendo.

I'm thinking the mentality about it failing if it doesn't have iOS support (which it will since it's just running on Chrome and Chrome is on EVERYTHING) is tied to people who are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem.

iOS/iPadOS is not a REQUIREMENT. Chrome is and all these iOS/iPadOS devices have Chrome. It'll be supported so I really don't understand the argument.

Phones are the smallest demographics Stadia will target. Yes people will play Stadia on tablets/phones but that's not where the majority of people will be playing on and I guess he thinks it's the opposite.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
iOS/iPadOS is not a REQUIREMENT. Chrome is and all these iOS/iPadOS devices have Chrome. It'll be supported so I really don't understand the argument.

The problem is that--by Google's own statements--the only mobile devices that will be supported initially are Google Pixel 3 series phones. Not iPhones, not other Android phones, not even other Google Pixel brand phones. That tells me quite clearly that Stadia is not compatible with the mobile version of Chrome--if it was, then they'd proudly proclaim this from the four corners of the Earth.

I guess that when playing on mobile devices, you'll need either a dedicated Stadia application, or some kind of plugin for mobile Chrome that will be released at a later time.

I wonder if Google is artificially limiting Stadia to Pixel 3 series phones in an attempt to use Stadia as a selling point for Pixel 3 phones, much like Sony limits the Android version of the PS4 Remote Play app to their own Xperia phones. I don't believe this was a wise strategy for Sony (which they are apparently changing soon, thankfully), and I don't think this is wise on Google's part, either.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Because it needs to come out the gate swinging with iOS support or else it's doomed!

Google has been fine on it's own without iOS support and so have SONY, Microsoft and Nintendo.

I'm thinking the mentality about it failing if it doesn't have iOS support (which it will since it's just running on Chrome and Chrome is on EVERYTHING) is tied to people who are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem.

Phones are the smallest demographics Stadia will target. Yes people will play Stadia on tablets/phones but that's not where the majority of people will be playing on and I guess he thinks it's the opposite.

Did you not read, how stadia works with mobile?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You could have fooled me the way Xbox One games looked from 2016- till now. Buying up some double A studios isnt going to really change much. The way you guys talk about money, you would think the xbox from MS would have done better with the OG Xbox and the Xbox One.Its not about money at all period. Its about having a product that the mass will want. This doenst look like it at all. But we will see.

Xbox One did pretty bad this generation but it still sold roughly 40 million so far. Not sure why you insist on trolling about Microsoft when it's clear they are here to stay. If you don't like the product (Xbox or Stadia) then don't buy it, but unlike you I think Stadia will be around and Microsoft/Xbox will definitely be around. These are two of the highest valued companies in the world. Enjoy the show tomorrow, I know you will.

Mobile isn't even what they are marketing the most right now, that's why they only annound Pixel 3 phone support so far.

When did I troll MS or Stadia? I was giving an example of how having the most money doesn't guarantee anything. What don't you get about that?
How is it trolling when Im giving you the facts?

It takes money to compete, that is why they went on a spending spree and got a bunch of studios. They are not stopping you from buying a Switch or a PS4/5 but you act like Microsoft and Google bother you somehow. It's called options and reading from some threads there are quite a few that have pre-ordered (Stadia Founders Edition).

Last edited:

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Xbox One did pretty bad this generation but it still sold roughly 40 million so far. Not sure why you insist on trolling about Microsoft when it's clear they are here to stay. If you don't like the product (Xbox or Stadia) then don't buy it, but unlike you I think Stadia will be around and Microsoft/Xbox will definitely be around. These are two of the highest valued companies in the world. Enjoy the show tomorrow, I know you will.

When did I troll MS or Stadia? I was giving an example of how having the most money doesn't guarantee anything. What don't you get about that?
How is it trolling when Im giving you the facts?

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
My Chromecast ultra just shit the bed after a year, probably due to overheating issues, which appear to be by design as whatever heatsink they use isn't strong enough. I have no faith in this thing's ability to stream in 4k for very long before meeting the same fate. At current I only use mine to stream in 1080, and that's much less taxing, yet here we are.

I can't believe they wouldn't even put the effort in to make new hardware. I was actually somewhat excited until now.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You are right, it's compatible with mobile devices as an extra feature few people will actually use (you either need to set your phone on a table and grab a game controller, or install one of those game controllers that grips the phone). It's definitely not a requirement in any way, or something that will greatly affect game sales on the service. Which is why they aren't targeting them at the test period, they are locking out any phones other than their own so they won't have to customer support other company phones while they are trying to work out the kinks with the service.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why people are touting 60fps when its response time that makes 60fps desirable, something you aren't getting via streaming.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say the average ps5 game is 100gb. That is still allot lower than having to stream 600gb of data to finish playing a 40 hour game.
Now account for patches, updates, DLC - some of these can be quite sizable to download. Factor in next-gen 4K media streaming around the house by family members on top of that and you're telling me you aren't the least bit concerned about your monthly data caps?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
There is more to 60+fps than latency. A lot of people like 60fps because it looks better (it's smoother).

The number 1 reason to run games at high framerates is latency.

Smoothness is more a result of frame times than anything else. Consistent frametimes at 30fps can be very smooth for example.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that--by Google's own statements--the only mobile devices that will be supported initially are Google Pixel 3 series phones. Not iPhones, not other Android phones, not even other Google Pixel brand phones. That tells me quite clearly that Stadia is not compatible with the mobile version of Chrome--if it was, then they'd proudly proclaim this from the four corners of the Earth.
I'm not sure how you quite clearly derived that...they have also quite clearly stated they are not offering Stadia in all countries to start. Does Chrome run differently on laptops in those countries?

Google has released dedicated apps to iOS first several times in the past, so fact that Stadia is launching on Pixel phone first doesn't necessarily imply its an app just for that reason.

It is (currently) using an app on mobile in this case, but that could really be happenstance. Because the more likely reason for the launch restrictions is basically the same as any other game platform which have all launched under limited availability in specific countries initially: they're not ready to open the floodgates to everyone and they want to pace the rollout with a more focused audience initially.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The number 1 reason to run games at high framerates is latency.

Smoothness is more a result of frame times than anything else. Consistent frametimes at 30fps can be very smooth for example.
Disagree. I'm not a tournament level gamer, I don't choose 60fps for latency or control response, I choose 60fps because motion is much smoother, much more realistic (and when I had a 120hz monitor I played at that for even more smooth gameplay). That's my #1 reason for high framerates. I use this in games like Final Fantasy XIV where your local latency doesn't matter much.

But also, when you play Stadia at 60fps, you get better latency, assuming your internet can handle it.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. I'm not a tournament level gamer, I don't choose 60fps for latency or control response, I choose 60fps because motion is much smoother, much more realistic (and when I had a 120hz monitor I played at that for even more smooth gameplay). That's my #1 reason for high framerates. I use this in games like Final Fantasy XIV where your local latency doesn't matter much.

But also, when you play Stadia at 60fps, you get better latency, assuming your internet can handle it.

Surely you understand that tournament gamers (or non tournament gamers for that matter) that play latency dependent games (FPS, fighters, sports, etc) do so at high framerates because of latency.

Not sure what your second statement means. Better latency in relation to what? Not local hardware, that's for sure.

What's the first game they're giving away on stadia? A latency dependent FPS...

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not sure how you quite clearly derived that...they have also quite clearly stated they are not offering Stadia in all countries to start. Does Chrome run differently on laptops in those countries?

Google has released dedicated apps to iOS first several times in the past, so fact that Stadia is launching on Pixel phone first doesn't necessarily imply its an app just for that reason.

It is (currently) using an app on mobile in this case, but that could really be happenstance. Because the more likely reason for the launch restrictions is basically the same as any other game platform which have all launched under limited availability in specific countries initially: they're not ready to open the floodgates to everyone and they want to pace the rollout with a more focused audience initially.

Sure, I understand that. But I was replying to the discussion between Dreamwriter and Cpt-GargameL where it was implied that all you need is a mobile device with the mobile version of Chrome. While that might become true at some point in the future, it's evidently not going to happen any time soon.

As it stands now, I'd suggest to people expecting a "mobile" alternative to high-end PC/console gaming to keep their champagne bottles firmly corked.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
My connection is ready, too bad it wont launch here in Switzerland this year...

8313229779.png

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I love buying in to be tech and should (possibly) be a target consumer for something like Stadia as I'm a gamer that also happens to be using Google services for almost everything else, but there is so many questions that remain unanswered.

So for £119 I get the ability to play Destiny 2 and and other games I purchase at 4K for 3 months, and I get the controller and Chromecast....

So far the cons are
  • I already have a 4K capable Chromecast device (Nvidia shield), I would prefer to use this than plug in an otherwise redundant Chromecast ultra. But no definitive timescale for support for this device.
  • I have an Android phone, but a Huawei P20 Pro and not a Pixel 3 or 3a, again no definitive time for other device support
  • Almost all other games announced I will be able to buy on PS4 or XB1.
  • As far as I know there have been no details of things like friends lists, achievements and things like that
  • On my consoles I like to stream music or podcasts whilst playing sometimes, will Stadia support this in the stream (merge it at the server level) or will I have to sacrifice my bandwidth to do it?
  • How frequently will be games come to the Pro subscription and of what calibre?
  • Can I plug in a keyboard an mouse to play games like Football Manager?
  • When will we hear of any true exclusives or cloud native experiences?
On the plus side
  • I like the controller and want to give it a go
  • I don't like the idea of someone else taking my username 🤦‍♀️
  • I would like to play Football Manager on almost every device type I seamlessly
  • I have unlimited data and ok bandwidth at home (brilliant whilst at work)
  • I have had great experiences with PS Now and Geforce Now, so want to assess this in comparison
So as it stands I'm going to wait and see how it pans out I think, just seems to me that they are wanting to get something out ahead of MS, but too many questions remain unanswered or poorly communicated. I generally like to buy into all platforms to assess them, but Stadia just seems to be lacking anything unique other than (maybe) its execution of cloud gaming.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Surely you understand that tournament gamers (or non tournament gamers for that matter) that play latency dependent games (FPS, fighters, sports, etc) do so at high framerates because of latency.

Not sure what your second statement means. Better latency in relation to what? Not local hardware, that's for sure.

What's the first game they're giving away on stadia? A latency dependent FPS...
I understand that competitive tournament gamers, a small percent of gamers overall, play their tournament games at high framerates for latency reasons, even turning down graphical quality to obtain those framerates. But the vast majority of gamers likes high framerates because it looks better. And that's what Stadia is marketing 60fps gaming for. You are right, tournament gamers aren't going to want to use Stadia, except maybe for practice on their mobile devices.

For my second point, 60fps streaming gets you faster "button press to visual result" latency than 30fps, same as if it were local. Being streamed doesn't make that any less true.The game is updating more often, and the video is updating more often, so the response time for dealing with inputs is faster. You are still limited by your controller latency, but even consoles have that issue, which is why tournament-level gamers use wired controllers.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I understand that. But I was replying to the discussion between Dreamwriter and Cpt-GargameL where it was implied that all you need is a mobile device with the mobile version of Chrome. While that might become true at some point in the future, it's evidently not going to happen any time soon.

As it stands now, I'd suggest to people expecting a "mobile" alternative to high-end PC/console gaming to keep their champagne bottles firmly corked.
I'm not sure why you think it's not happening anytime soon. Pixel 3/3a hardware is nothing special at this point, it's probably just a convenient way to control deployment initially for them. Whether it's handled in mobile Chrome or an app is largely a distinction without a difference. I'm not sure what necessarily suggests that Google won't expand to other mobile devices fairly quickly. The app will surely be cracked and ready to sideload, usable on other Android devices at least in no time.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not sure why you think it's not happening anytime soon. Pixel 3/3a hardware is nothing special at this point, it's probably just a convenient way to control deployment initially for them.

This just tells me that Google is not ready for prime time. Not even close. It makes the initial "Founder's Edition" appear more like a paid beta test rather than a polished product.

Notice that when companies produce new streaming video services, they're generally not nearly as restrictive on phone requirements. If they wanted to demonstrate the versatility of the client and its ability to work on a variety of hardware, then they'd open it to (at the very least) any device running Android Pie. It would also enable the development team to gather real-world before they open it up to a wider range of devices and operating systems.

I still believe that this limitation is motivated (at least partially) out of trying use it as a marketing tool to sell Pixel 3 series phones.

Whether it's handled in mobile Chrome or an app is largely a distinction without a difference. I'm not sure what necessarily suggests that Google won't expand to other mobile devices fairly quickly. The app will surely be cracked and ready to sideload, usable on other Android devices at least in no time.

Most Android users aren't willing or able to root their phones. Even if they are, they're unlikely to make the effort to do so for a service with paid content that (so far) doesn't offer any sort of free trial. I'm also not sure that Google would even allow a "cracked" app to have unfettered access to their servers.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope google is prepared for this service to only have 1 to 3 million users tops for 3 - 6 years

Surely they aren't expecting it to take off and have 20 - 30 millions users in just a few years

Dean

Oct 27, 2017
I hope google is prepared for this service to only have 1 to 3 million users tops for 3 - 6 years

Surely they aren't expecting it to take off and have 20 - 30 millions users in just a few years
Well everyone that uses YouTube is technically going to end up being a Stadia user. If the YouTube integration is as tight as I'm imagining it will be, I'd think they'll get a lot of people buying one-off games to play on the free service just out of convenience. The paid service is a different story, but I bet the free service will get use out of a ton of people.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well everyone that uses YouTube is technically going to end up being a Stadia user. If the YouTube integration is as tight as I'm imagining it will be, I'd think they'll get a lot of people buying one-off games to play on the free service just out of convenience. The paid service is a different story, but I bet the free service will get use out of a ton of people.
Not me, I'm still expecting only 1 - 3 million for a really long time even with the free version

There's too many blocks for it to really gain a lot of users atleast in the medium term 3 - 6 years

Internet speed
Or no internet at all
Or data caps
Or people that don't like change

Those 4 things are going to give it really slow growth for the medium term

Dean

Oct 27, 2017
Not me, I'm still expecting only 1 - 3 million for a really long time even with the free version

There's too many blocks for it to really gain a lot of users atleast in the medium term 3 - 6 years

Internet speed
Or no internet at all
Or data caps
Or people that don't like change

Those 4 things are going to give it really slow growth for the medium term
I guess it depends on how much someone would have to use it to be considered a user. I think there will be a lot of people that buy just one or two games because they're getting peppered with play now buttons on YouTube and feel like giving it a try. I would consider those people users, and the convenience of instant access to a game seconds after watching a trailer will get people using it, because why the hell not.

Oct 27, 2017
Im doing some testing on Geforce Now since Im so curious and hyped about Stadia, and I sure hope the experience is better for me.

I dont have the best home internet, 20 down, 4 upload, and it was inconsistent at best. At times, it is flawless and I would love to play games like this in the future, but the random resolution and input changes kill it for me. I will do some more testing in my hotel next week.

Anyone have sub par experiences with other streaming services and still hopeful for Stadia? I a, going to my internet before it arrives to at least the 200 down package.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
This just tells me that Google is not ready for prime time. Not even close. It makes the initial "Founder's Edition" appear more like a paid beta test rather than a polished product.
Staged deployment isn't a new thing for game platforms or tech platforms in general. This is very Captain Obvious territory.

Notice that when companies produce new streaming video services, they're generally not nearly as restrictive on phone requirements.
What new streaming video services are you thinking of, specifically? Because I'm thinking back to the rollout of Netflix streaming on mobile and that was *very* restricted initially.

Most Android users aren't willing or able to root their phones. Even if they are, they're unlikely to make the effort to do so for a service with paid content that (so far) doesn't offer any sort of free trial. I'm also not sure that Google would even allow a "cracked" app to have unfettered access to their servers.
The point was that there's nothing special about the hardware/software combo here, not for this service. If Google isn't ready to push availability on mobile in the short term, someone else (like MS) may very well be.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
The pricing of each game will be interesting. The legacy games like Tomb Raider will be available to purchase for £10 by time Stadia is out, and those games are not in the least enticing.

Google really need to wow people with high quality exclusives otherwise it'll be DOA.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
The pricing of each game will be interesting. The legacy games like Tomb Raider will be available to purchase for £10 by time Stadia is out, and those games are not in the least enticing.

Google really need to wow people with high quality exclusives otherwise it'll be DOA.
Remember the special tax for Switch ports and certain PS4 ports to PC?
Don't expect the bargain sales price in other platform to be available when it launches in Stadia.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Has it been confirmed that you can play free-to-play games entirely for free on Stadia, as in no purchases or subscription fees whatsoever required?

I'll certainly try it out in a browser window in 2020 if that's the case. It sounds too good to be true though, for them to give away hundreds, even thousands, of hours of server instance use and bandwidth to potentially millions of people without a single cent in return. Maybe they'll insert ads into the stream?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Im doing some testing on Geforce Now since Im so curious and hyped about Stadia, and I sure hope the experience is better for me.

I dont have the best home internet, 20 down, 4 upload, and it was inconsistent at best. At times, it is flawless and I would love to play games like this in the future, but the random resolution and input changes kill it for me. I will do some more testing in my hotel next week.

Anyone have sub par experiences with other streaming services and still hopeful for Stadia? I a, going to my internet before it arrives to at least the 200 down package.

I've been testing Steam in home streaming over the past month or two with my wired computer and tablet connected via 5Ghz. Even close to the router I notice a small amount of input lag and there can be hiccups with dropped frames that have gotten me killed in action games. It's playable but certainly not ideal. I imagine Stadia would be slightly worse since it's not local hardware like my computer.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in EU preordered this? Will they charge now or at release?

Edit: NM. Found the answer elsewhere: they charge at release/shipping.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to see people's reaction today when it's revealed that you also have to buy new games on Xcloud too

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that you can play free-to-play games entirely for free on Stadia, as in no purchases or subscription fees whatsoever required?

I'll certainly try it out in a browser window in 2020 if that's the case. It sounds too good to be true though, for them to give away hundreds, even thousands, of hours of server instance use and bandwidth to potentially millions of people without a single cent in return. Maybe they'll insert ads into the stream?
Yes free to use starting in 2020 but limited to 1080p, which most people are fine with 1080p anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.