• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
everyone that's been talking about it, although if you buy your game on xcloud you will probably have an option to download it to your Xbox, that's just my guess on the download part
So how's that like Stadia? You get both a digital and streaming copy of the game, while you only get streaming for Stadia. Why would you get the Stadia version?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how's that like Stadia? You get both a digital and streaming copy of the game, while you only get streaming for Stadia. Why would you get the Stadia version?
Some reasons people might would choose the stadia version

Stadia might be cheaper than xcloud
Stadia might be stronger than xcloud
Stadia might have less latency than xcloud

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Some reasons people might would choose the stadia version

Stadia might be cheaper than xcloud
Stadia might be stronger than xcloud
Stadia might have less latency than xcloud
I hope that Stadia Base games having free online multiplayer put pressure on Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony to stop charging for that or offer a lot more substantial benefits with their subs.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
It appears online play is free with the base version going by what they showed
Yeah that's what I'm saying. That's actually a great positive of Stadia and I could see myself buying multiplayer games from the service. Especially since my fears of Stadia lacking game preservation don't matter at that point since an online game would be useless on any platform after the servers were shut off.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what I'm saying. That's actually a great positive of Stadia and I could see myself buying multiplayer games from the service. Especially since my fears of Stadia lacking game preservation don't matter at that point since an online game would be useless on any platform after the servers were shut off.
Yea that's a good point for online multiplayer

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
being able to download it kinda defeats the purpose of streaming too, because if your able to download a game that means you already have the hardware needed to run it, so you would have no reason to stream it

Whole purpose of streaming is not having to buy hardware

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that's pre-ordered. Do you choose your username at that point?

nope. you get two emails when you order, the first is just the google store order that shows the shipment info, lets you cancel the box, etc.

the second is a "Welcome to Stadia" email letting you know that you will get a redemption code in November for Stadia that lets you sub to Stadia Pro, gives you 3 months free, youhave one year to redeem your code, and presumably then you will pick your name. The free three months is tied to the email address you bought on, but you will also get a buddy pass that gives someone else 3 free months too.

So really if you know someone who is buying stadia at launch you can finangle the buddy code from them too and not have to buy anything to get your username I presume

The email also lists their twitter and subreddit to keep up

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've preordered it to see how it is.

Hopefully It can hold off buying/building a new computer.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The those concerned or making it a talking point that there won't be other mobile devices supported besides the Pixel 3/3a:

At launch, if you're a Stadia user, you can play Stadia exclusively on Pixel 3 and 3a devices. However, you'll be able to create your account and make subscription and game purchases from any Android M+ or iOS 11+ device that has access to the Stadia app."

There will also be family sharing:

Google says it'll be one user per Stadia account, tied to your Google ID—you can have a guest account for splitscreen, but other than that, no sharing. (Update (2:43pm): A Google spokesperson reached out to say that family sharing is coming in the future.)

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So, the Stadia runs the PC version of games over the cloud? At what settings?

I know it's 4K at 60 FPS, but what about the rest?

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
As a Destiny 2 player, Stadia does sound tempting to bring a laptop and grind my character when I wait for food at Panera or Starbucks but I wonder if it would allow some latency to play in rural areas. 720p is good enough to get some bounties done. Shame it isn't open to most new Android phones at launch since I have an Xperia ZX2. It stinks that Remote Play doesn't work over 4g. Only if Playstation Now would support Destiny 2: New Light and work over Android 4g,

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I said I was going to wait for the free version, and that might still be what I do in the end, but right now I'm feeling like I want to try this thing as soon as possible. I might preorder in the next month or two if it's still available. So excited. I hope it works well enough.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Stadia doesn't run PC games. Devs have to port their games to Stadia. Probably the highest settings but I think it depends on the game/devs.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Think of Stadia like a new next-gen game console. It has its own dev kit hardware, games have to be ported to it. The Assassin's Creed streaming demo for example was ported from the console code base, not PC (though it used higher quality textures and further draw distance and stuff). Stadia runs Linux and uses the Vulkan graphics library, as opposed to PC running Windows and using DirectX or OpenGL.

So, the game settings are whatever the developer wants them to be. Since they have a dev kit and the "hardware" is the same for everybody, they know what settings they can use to get the best possible look to the game, same as any game console, though with Stadia they do have the option (should they choose) to use more than one GPU.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Do you guys think that if you get the founder's edition, your buddy will also get access to a Founders Name ? Because they too would basically create their username before most?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
though with Stadia they do have the option (should they choose) to use more than one GPU.

Why do people keep saying this?

Stadia itself is scalable in the future because the tech can be stacked but I saw no indication a developer could just "choose" to use way more power if they want to.

That type of scaling will be used to upgrade Stadia in the future or offer a higher tier more costly service not let devs just decide on their own their game is going to be twice as expensive for Google to render.

Unless someone can correct me on where Google said it was up to devs, which would just be bizarre.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why do people keep saying this?

Stadia itself is scalable in the future because the tech can be stacked but I saw no indication a developer could just "choose" to use way more power if they want to.

That type of scaling will be used to upgrade Stadia in the future or offer a higher tier more costly service not let devs just decide on their own their game is going to be twice as expensive for Google to render.

Unless someone can correct me on where Google said it was up to devs, which would just be bizarre.

I don't think we know. I agree that it is unlikely precisely because of costs, especially for third party partners.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I pre order this can I change my payment information later? Because my card is about to expire

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The those concerned or making it a talking point that there won't be other mobile devices supported besides the Pixel 3/3a:

There will also be family sharing:

Ok if I'm reading this correctly this might be huge.

They say you can make Stadia purchases on iOS. That means they must have worked out some pricing scheme with Apple, because otherwise Apple would be taking a 30% cut which would effectively completely wipe out Google's profit margin. That means the most difficult roadblock in place for Stadia to come to iOS has been eliminated. We'll see Stadia on iOS sooner rather than later.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
i need to read up on this some more, but if i can play this on my current computer and have fun playing multiplayer games with my brother, then... that makes buying a gaming PC redundant because I literally only need to update my PC for games.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they said when they will add ads to the base version? Would be glorious if even the paid subscription had ads ... It's what makes Google money at the end.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm so pumped for this, but I'm really hoping dev's go all in on cross-play with future games. I would love to get Borderlands 3 on this, but I don't think anyone I know is going to be willing to buy games on this over their Xbox/PS4.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Will destiny 2 run at 60 fps and have extended POV on stadia??
If so, day one.
Also, they need to implement X play because if they don't I feel stadia won't have a good player base. At the beginning of coarse .

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate touch controls but did they ever say if they would have touch controls on phones for when you don't have a controller with you?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They will take 30% like every other store for sure and dont need ads for Stadia Base.
Except every minute you play a game on the service costs them money. Hence why there is a $9.99 fee for Pro.

We have no clue what other ways Google might try to make money from users; and in the end they probably aren't 100% sure. I'd expect ads to be at least a part of their internal conversations.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Harrison: "The fundamental benefit of our cloud native infrastructure is that developers will be able to take advantage of hardware and power in ways never before possible. And that includes taking of advantage of the power of multiple GPUs at once."

This is supposed to be one of fundamental benefits of cloud computing, the ability to scale your compute resources as the task demands, so I don't see why this would be so surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.