• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Phil Harrison: "The fundamental benefit of our cloud native infrastructure is that developers will be able to take advantage of hardware and power in ways never before possible. And that includes taking of advantage of the power of multiple GPUs at once."

This is supposed to be one of fundamental benefits of cloud computing, the ability to scale your compute resources as the task demands, so I don't see why this would be so surprising.

Yes, Stadia is capable of doing multi-GPU (really goes without saying/didn't ever need to be said). There is no indication of whether that would be a developers choice to target that, when that would be available, etc. and the launch instances of Stadia are going to be single-GPU.

This is supposed to be one of fundamental benefits of cloud computing, the ability to scale your compute resources as the task demands, so I don't see why this would be so surprising.

That's a fundamental aspect of hardware virtualization; neither Google nor Microsoft has said they are using GPU virtualization. The instances are dedicated hardware, not shared GPU compute.

Google saying that their tech is capable of stacking != "devs can choose to use multiple GPUs at launch."

It's very unlikely that they'll let a game decide how much hardware it needs.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Stadia is capable of doing multi-GPU (really goes without saying/didn't ever need to be said). There is no indication of whether that would be a developers choice to target that, when that would be available, etc. and the launch instances of Stadia are going to be single-GPU.

That's a fundamental aspect of hardware virtualization; neither Google nor Microsoft has said they are using GPU virtualization. The instances are dedicated hardware, not shared GPU compute.

Google saying that their tech is capable of stacking != "devs can choose to use multiple GPUs at launch."

If they are going to keep promising 4K 60fps for pro sub users then they are going to have to stack the servers eventually for them to maintain that promise of your sub cost

Can you see now when a new game comes out and it's below 4K even though your paying a sub for 4k how people would react lol

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Youtube Gaming was announced, I thought it would be a major competitor to Twitch. I was wrong. I'm kind of thinking that this will be the same compared to Microsoft's Cloud.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If they are going to keep promising 4K 60fps for pro sub users then they are going to have to stack the servers eventually for them to maintain that promise of your sub cost

Yes, the mention of multi-GPU functionality was about future-proofing Stadia. That's what my first response on this topic stated; this convo started because people keep claiming THIS:

though with Stadia they do have the option (should they choose) to use more than one GPU.

There's no indication that developers can simply choose to target multiple GPUs with Stadia.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Except that Google isn't simply saying their tech is capable of stacking, they're saying developers will be able to take advantage of it. And then Harrison follows up that statement with a practical demo from a partner doing just that. It's really a straightforward statement that doesn't need parsing unless you're mostly just disputing "at launch" which seems more than a little nitpicky.

Dynamically? Maybe not but, again, getting very nitpicky and not even what Dreamwriter suggested in the first place.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
BG3 is wonderful for fans, but i've never played one or two so it does not excite me.

I will get a stadia controller for my travels to game on my laptop but I am disappointed in the lack of games. Where is my Street Fighter 6?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Except that Google isn't simply saying their tech is capable of stacking, they're saying developers will be able to take advantage of it.

I mean.. and? Of course when google at some point in the future has multi-GPU setups developers would be able to take advantage of it. As opposed to... what exactly?

People keep making the claim that developers can choose to use multi-GPU setups; they aren't qualifying that claim, saying it's at some point in the future, etc. They are just outright saying it as if that's some current aspect of Stadia.

There is no indication of that, and we don't know when that will be available and in what form (will it be developers choice? only available to pro tier? a higher tier?)

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here he makes clear again that Stadia Pro will have a growing number of games.
Yup, that it'll add free games like they're adding Destiny 2 at launch similarly to what Microsoft and or SONY do for their current subscription service.

Also mentioned that publishers will be able to put their stores inside Stadia along with their subscription services for publishers with a wide range of titles.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screenshot_2019-06-11-18-13-05.png

My phone isn't ready... rip

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Ok if I'm reading this correctly this might be huge.

They say you can make Stadia purchases on iOS. That means they must have worked out some pricing scheme with Apple, because otherwise Apple would be taking a 30% cut which would effectively completely wipe out Google's profit margin. That means the most difficult roadblock in place for Stadia to come to iOS has been eliminated. We'll see Stadia on iOS sooner rather than later.

via an app on ios. apple dont take a cut of things bought through the sony app....

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if Watch Dogs Legion will support ray tracing on Stadia. They confirmed it's in for RTX cards, and Stadia supports Ray tracing, but they're using AMD.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
via an app on ios. apple dont take a cut of things bought through the sony app....
Apple takes a cut of everything sold through any app.

People shouldn't be banking on that quote though; it's attributed to nobody and could be wrong. I doubt Google will give up 30% to Apple; you only buy games on occasion and it's not a big deal for someone to have to go to a web browser to pay for something on iOS.

And none of that stops them from streaming to iOS either way, they don't need to give Apple a cut to have a service exist on iOS you just can't charge for it via the app without giving up 30%.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's my fear. I was hoping it would mean I don't have to keep upgrading my PC. Them nvidya cards are getting expensive.
So the advantage of stadia is that they upgrade their hardware over time. Depending on how they do it (in gen cycles like Sony and Xbox (6 to 7 years), or maybe every 2 years would make more sense for Google) Regardless the specifics, they will upgrade their hardware over time so you can see titles getting upgrades later down the pipeline. I just dont think you can expect raytracing at launch, especially RTX specific features since those are only supported on Nvidia Hardware.

Anyway, you mention fear of having to upgrade your PC.. well incase of stadia you would not have to since they upgade their hardware for you as they transition between current and future hardware models for their servers.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So the advantage of stadia is that they upgrade their hardware over time. Depending on how they do it (in gen cycles like Sony and Xbox (6 to 7 years), or maybe every 2 years would make more sense for Google) Regardless the specifics, they will upgrade their hardware over time so you can see titles getting upgrades later down the pipeline.
Yeah - it's just a shame if they start already behind the curve, e.g. no RT in supported games. I guess it comes down to NV and AMD not using a common api.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still holding out that Stadia will secure Cyberpunk 2077.

Also, I wonder with the strong Ubisoft partnership, Ubi will try to make most of their ongoing and upcoming GaaS cross-save.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - it's just a shame if they start already behind the curve, e.g. no RT in supported games. I guess it comes down to NV and AMD not using a common api.
Behind the curve? for 10 bucks a month no way would they be able to deliver you a solid 60 fps experience at 4k with raytracing. no way are they putting a 1200 dollar card in every server rack for you to use at launch. that is economically simply impractical, so sure yeah, if you are looking for that, go upgrade your PC but in no way would I call that.. behind the curve

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Behind the curve? for 10 bucks a month no way would they be able to deliver you a solid 60 fps experience at 4k with raytracing. no way are they putting a 1200 dollar card in every server rack for you to use at launch. that is economically simply impractical, so sure yeah, if you are looking for that, go upgrade your PC but in no way would I call that.. behind the curve
Well, in terms of technology, of course it is. I get there are financial constraints, but if there are games coming out with ray tracing and this does not support it, then it's technically behind the curve.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Hopping in this thread late but has there been word about Stadia supporting HDR?

Edit: Thanks y'all. I see it's all over the marketing as well. Not sure how I missed that.

Last edited:

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I'll be testing Stadia out on a 65 inch TV hoping the resolution and visuals hold up. That's the deal breaker for me. If the latency is low as they say and the compression is minimal, I'll be happy with it.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Why do people keep saying this?

Stadia itself is scalable in the future because the tech can be stacked but I saw no indication a developer could just "choose" to use way more power if they want to.

That type of scaling will be used to upgrade Stadia in the future or offer a higher tier more costly service not let devs just decide on their own their game is going to be twice as expensive for Google to render.

Unless someone can correct me on where Google said it was up to devs, which would just be bizarre.

This is the vision and main intent of Stadia, expressed at the first unveiling a few months ago. They literally said that the main goal/idea of Stadia is to unshackle developers from the limitations of single-console/PC hardware on the user end.

Of course, it's not going to be as simple as "switch a button to add a GPU"; developers will have to develop their games to take advantage of such options (and most likely games that do this will only come out later), but it's not some "vague imaginary possibility". It's actually the most exciting aspect of Stadia for me, and I hope devs start doing it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well, in terms of technology, of course it is. I get there are financial constraints, but if there are games coming out with ray tracing and this does not support it, then it's technically behind the curve.
yes, technically its behind the curve when you compare it to high end PC, but its a really petty thing to complain about for 10 bucks a month to not have an at the moment useless technique (the difference would be barely noticeable as you can see in other RTX implementations since we have been able to get pretty close in our current rendering methods)

Once we have proper platform independant raytracing be the standard then I feel complaining about it make sense, but at the moment I would not say wou would be missing much.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
yes, technically its behind the curve when you compare it to high end PC, but its a really petty thing to complain about for 10 bucks a month to not have an at the moment useless technique (the difference would be barely noticeable as you can see in other RTX implementations since we have been able to get pretty close in our current rendering methods)

Once we have proper platform independant raytracing be the standard then I feel complaining about it make sense, but at the moment I would not say wou would be missing much.
I think you're reading too much into my statement. I just said I thought it was a shame. I'm not cancelling my preorder or anything.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is the vision and main intent of Stadia, expressed at the first unveiling a few months ago. They literally said that the main goal/idea of Stadia is to unshackle developers from the limitations of single-console/PC hardware on the user end.

Of course, it's not going to be as simple as "switch a button to add a GPU"; developers will have to develop their games to take advantage of such options (and most likely games that do this will only come out later), but it's not some "vague imaginary possibility". It's actually the most exciting aspect of Stadia for me, and I hope devs start doing it.
I either expect that option for devs to cost a penny or a bump up price wise for users. that extra GPU will not come for free

I think you're reading too much into my statement. I just said I thought it was a shame. I'm not cancelling my preorder or anything.
yeaaah maybe, hahahha

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I either expect that option for devs to cost a penny or a bump up price wise for users. that extra GPU will not come for free

I could see them charging $15-$20 for 8k/60 in the future but to charge to upgrade the library of 4k/60 just because it has RT? I don't see them doing that. I think they'll charge based on resolution as they're currently charging. 1080=FREE 4K=$10 8K= $15-$20. This makes sense to me. Whatever tech/techniques they can implement to improve IQ/fidelity will be upgraded in the backend at no cost to the consumer imo.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I could see them charging $15-$20 for 8k/60 in the future but to charge to upgrade the library of 4k/60 just because it has RT? I don't see them doing that. I think they'll charge based on resolution as they're currently charging. 1080=FREE 4K=$10 8K= $15-$20. This makes sense to me. Whatever tech/techniques they can implement to improve IQ/fidelity will be upgraded in the backend at no cost to the consumer imo.
just thinking about price here. They will be earning money somehow and not from your 10 bucks only. I am pretty sure, like stream they take a reasonable cut from devs and I can imagine if devs use more than one GPU they will take a bigger cut from them. (why I don't see games using multi GPU any time soon.)
I mean at the moment how I see Stadia, they provide expensive server hardware for your 10 bucks a month and a bunch of bandwidth. Its like microsoft giving you a free next gen xbox and you just pay a subscription price to use it. its a huge investment on googles part and I am pretty sure they will be getting their return somehow. maybe not trough consumers directly but somehow they will. either ingame Advertisement or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.