• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So the worst has come to pass and now people will be paying a subscription to maintain (high quality) access to games they pay full price for. It literally is OnLive again.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I either expect that option for devs to cost a penny or a bump up price wise for users. that extra GPU will not come for free

yeaaah maybe, hahahha

Oh yeah, I don't think any of the current pricing model as exposed to the public applies to it. These are going to be special cases, probably an added cost to the end user; more expensive "purchase" or an addition to the Stadia subscription.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So the worst has come to pass and now people will be paying a subscription to maintain (high quality) access to games they pay full price for. It literally is OnLive again.
You pay the subscription for a virtual high end console you dont need to pay electricity for and some free games from time to time. Its like leasing a high end console that gets upgraded every few years

edit: I am not sure what you expected them to do honestly. give you access to a big library like netflix for only 10 bucks? it would not pay much for devs.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
You pay the subscription for a virtual high end console you dont need to pay electricity for and some free games from time to time. Its like leasing a high end console that gets upgraded every few years

edit: I am not sure what you expected them to do honestly. give you access to a big library like netflix for only 10 bucks? it would not pay much for devs.

I expected this but I considered they might do the Netflix model for a higher fee, $25 / month or so.

I think the losses in resale of titles (used games), ownership of license, no competitive game discounts (retail, online sales, etc), etc will end up costing the end user more within a few months.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017

This is huge for me. I don't expect Stadia to be my primary platform for gaming but giving me the flexibility to be able to play on another screen while my PS4 is occupied or at a friends and have my progress carry over would make me want to buy all my main games on Stadia again. I'd instantly buy Borderlands 3 on Stadia if it had cross save.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
With the new Destiny pricing scheme that will be introduced (only have to buy the latest update) I actually don't see how it would matter.

Who knows with what business plans they come up with. I understand that The Division was added to gamepass as a way to promote the release of The Division 2. Something similar might happen here.

LardHomers

Oct 25, 2017
So Google stated that Stadia has 10.7 teraflops of performance. Do we know that all that power is available day one for devs? If so, it should make for some pretty technically impressive games at launch right? I'm really liking the thought of getting a taste of next gen already in 2019..

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, exactly. You're just essentially leasing a high end console that will supposedly be upgraded every so often and which will be absolutely transparent to you. I just wonder how often Google will upgrade the hardware on the back end. I also can't wait to see Digital Foundry do performance analyses on Stadia games, especially against a high end pc.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
"...which Microsoft will likely talk about in just a few hours, at its E3 event." There were all these people on this/other threads promising that MS' XCloud announcement was going to drown Stadia.

Yeah I preordered Stadia day one but with the caveat that depending on what Microsoft showed I might change my mind...After E3 nothing they showed on stage changed my opinion. Xcloud still seems like an add on to their physical console line up and not its own thing. For me going forward buying a console is not something I want to do and stadia is the only service so far that really seems to be pushing that agenda.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Yeah I preordered Stadia day one but with the caveat that depending on what Microsoft showed I might change my mind...After E3 nothing they showed on stage changed my opinion. Xcloud still seems like an add on to their physical console line up and not its own thing. For me going forward buying a console is not something I want to do and stadia is the only service so far that really seems to be pushing that agenda.

It feels really nice to have options, doesn't it? For someone who is already not looking to buy any consoles, that the Stadia option exists is meaningful in that, unlike MS or Sony, 'that's all they got' so the incentive for Stadia to really push on the streaming agenda is very high, as you say.

Personally, I'll probably still get the next gen Sony console, but it could be the last one. I'm definitely not upgrading to a new PC just for gaming though. I had thought I would a few months ago, but these developments have just completely destroyed that.

And I think it's fine that MS didn't reveal more about XCloud. I read elsewhere that they were planning to reveal more, but that they must have changed plans last minute. Maybe lessons learned after PS4 vs Xbox reveals. They should do it when ready/confident. I really hope there is a piecemeal option for XCloud so I can just sub to Flight Simulator. Or maybe hope that Stadia gets X-Plane.

MrFarenheit : Just curious, what is your outlook for Stadia/streaming-in-general performance where you are in Canada?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Accidental post (this new forum software is super janky on Firefox mobile).

But here's id talking about porting Doom to Stadia and its performance:

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
It feels really nice to have options, doesn't it? For someone who is already not looking to buy any consoles, that the Stadia option exists is meaningful in that, unlike MS or Sony, 'that's all they got' so the incentive for Stadia to really push on the streaming agenda is very high, as you say.

Personally, I'll probably still get the next gen Sony console, but it could be the last one. I'm definitely not upgrading to a new PC just for gaming though. I had thought I would a few months ago, but these developments have just completely destroyed that.

And I think it's fine that MS didn't reveal more about XCloud. I read elsewhere that they were planning to reveal more, but that they must have changed plans last minute. Maybe lessons learned after PS4 vs Xbox reveals. They should do it when ready/confident. I really hope there is a piecemeal option for XCloud so I can just sub to Flight Simulator. Or maybe hope that Stadia gets X-Plane.

MrFarenheit : Just curious, what is your outlook for Stadia/streaming-in-general performance where you are in Canada?
Where I live I pay $79.99 CAD for 300 up 15 down and unlimited data. I'm in a mid sized city. Rurally this will not work but in the major centres I could see this working as Canadians seem to be receptive to streaming in general and are heavy users of the internet in general. Just reading that 38% have unlimited data and the average speeds are 20.5 dl and a up. For 1080 basic I think there is a chance for this to catch on.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Where I live I pay $79.99 CAD for 300 up 15 down and unlimited data. I'm in a mid sized city. Rurally this will not work but in the major centres I could see this working as Canadians seem to be receptive to streaming in general and are heavy users of the internet in general. Just reading that 38% have unlimited data and the average speeds are 20.5 dl and a up. For 1080 basic I think there is a chance for this to catch on.
That and the "duty" tax that never seems to go down when our currency is doing well.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
"...which Microsoft will likely talk about in just a few hours, at its E3 event." There were all these people on this/other threads promising that MS' XCloud announcement was going to drown Stadia.

lol yep. That video aged poorly in a matter of hours. And btw it would be silly to say that Google's main competitor in the gaming space isn't Sony, so if Google is MS' true competition, MS is setting the bar low.

Also, I'm generally on the side that thinks PS Now isn't solid enough to be anyone's primary platform, but it's weird how gaming/tech commentators act like it just doesn't exist. Sony is ahead of the curve in the streaming game, being one of the only actually existing market options. They were unique among the big players in seeing the streaming opportunity early. They need to improve, but right now, they're the only yardstick we have.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
People keep making the claim that developers can choose to use multi-GPU setups; they aren't qualifying that claim, saying it's at some point in the future, etc. They are just outright saying it as if that's some current aspect of Stadia.
...because that's the way Google themselves have presented it.

I don't see anyone here running away with the idea that this means most developers will be clamoring to use multiple GPUs for their games at launch. I doubt many devs would be ready to do more than ensure their games run well on the baseline setup.

The option exists though and they are already beginning to explore it with partners. Given that Stadia is in pre-launch phase, I'd say that's about right as a "current aspect" of Stadia, which will most likely have advanced further by the time of launch.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Xcloud no-showing does mean Stadia has a somewhat open field now. I'd still like to see multiple games announced for Stadia Pro (even if I do recognize Destiny 2 Years 1-3 Edition is a decent get), especially considering Microsoft has gone all-in on Game Pass for a couple years now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I was very eager to hear about XCloud because if it was a Stadia-like service with the games I already own on xbox (like say if my licenses transferred to the MS streaming service), then I'd be on board.

~72 hours later I don't even know what Xcloud is and everything that I read about it ... it sounds like it turns my Xbox into a server and I'm streaming my games locally, which sucks and is not the same thing at all (and... something I think I Can already do...)

There is also so much misinformation about what XCloud actually is. If you google "What Is Xcloud", the top two results completely contradict one another:

Here are the top two result:
https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/n...oud-gaming-service-price-release-date-devices
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/9/18656694/microsoft-project-xcloud-game-streaming-price-e3-2019

Result #1, from some site called 'Pocket Lint':

Pocket Lint said:
[Microsoft XCloud] is a streaming service, in that all games will be hosted on remote servers and live gameplay video will be sent to a compatible device over the internet. In return, controller codes are sent in the other direction so, for all intents and purposes, it feels like you are playing a game loaded on the device itself, whether it be a smart TV, PC, tablet or smartphone.

Result #2, from The Verge:

The Verge said:
"Two months ago we connected all Xbox developers to Project xCloud," says Xbox chief Phil Spencer. Now, the console streaming service will "turn your Xbox One into your own personal and free xCloud server." According to Microsoft, you'll be able to stream your entire Xbox One library — including games from Xbox Game Pass — to a variety of devices.

I have never heard of Pocket Lint and I have heard (And trust) the Verge, and they quote Phil Spencer in it, so I guess I trust the Verge... but what the fuck is it? Is it a streaming service ALA Stadia, or is it a service that turn syour Xbox into a dumb server, which I think already exists on Xbox anyway and is free? I streamed Fallout 4 to my old Surface years ago, it sucked and even with a game like Fallout 4 it sucked. PS4 has similar functionality and, yeah, it sucks. Most games are unplayable, the quality sucks.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I was very eager to hear about XCloud because if it was a Stadia-like service with the games I already own on xbox (like say if my licenses transferred to the MS streaming service), then I'd be on board.

~72 hours later I don't even know what Xcloud is and everything that I read about it ... it sounds like it turns my Xbox into a server and I'm streaming my games locally, which sucks and is not the same thing at all (and... something I think I Can already do...)
So, I think Microsoft completely bungled the messaging here. Xcloud is still a thing, it's still streaming games from Microsoft's servers, it's still coming soon. What they announced was their version of Remote Play. Yes, it's something PS4 has had since launch, yes it's basically an extension of the Xbox One's existing ability to stream to a PC within the same network.

I think the reason that they're conflating the two is that the plan is to use the same app for both Xcloud and Remote Play. I wouldn't be too surprised if the two project share encoding software, as well.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I

I don't want to buy another console again. With Stadia I potentially have next gen hardware this November a year before both Sony and Microsoft all for under $200 CAD. While the streaming is exciting the above is what I'm most excited for.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I

I don't want to buy another console again. With Stadia I potentially have next gen hardware this November a year before both Sony and Microsoft all for under $200 CAD. While the streaming is exciting the above is what I'm most excited for.
In the same boat, I've been buying consoles for decades now and have no interest in investing in a gaming PC. If the initial playability of Stadia is good, I think I will stay with just that and probably xcloud when it is not console dependant

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So, I think Microsoft completely bungled the messaging here. Xcloud is still a thing, it's still streaming games from Microsoft's servers, it's still coming soon. What they announced was their version of Remote Play. Yes, it's something PS4 has had since launch, yes it's basically an extension of the Xbox One's existing ability to stream to a PC within the same network.

I think the reason that they're conflating the two is that the plan is to use the same app for both Xcloud and Remote Play. I wouldn't be too surprised if the two project share encoding software, as well.

Got it.

YEah, Phil Spencer does a good job explaining that there's two distinct things here from E3... at first, but then even he muddies it up:

What Phil says starts clear, but then he kinda muddies it. At first, it sounds clear, with two distinct things:

1) Project XCloud: Stadia-like game streaming, but no features, date, price, etc., have been announced. Availability, price, games, etc: TBA.

2) Xbox Console Streaming: Turning your Xbox into a server (what we already kinda have today). Full feature coming in October 2019.

BUT THEN...

He kinda muddles it and says "Our hybrid streaming cloud," which is like "Wtf?" And he makes it sound like XCloud is coming in October, but ... it's not really clear, is he talking about console streaming or what...

My ideal service would be one where I can play games on my Xbox locally, and then jump off my Xbox and pick up streaming that game from a cloud instance of it running on any device. Not streamed from my Xbox over my network, but streamed from an actual data center on actual real hardware, not the 5+ year old computer in my xbox pretending to be a server. If Xbox + Xcloud does that, then I'm fucking on-board. Otherwise, I'd probably opt for something like Stadia. My Project Stream experience was really really good, and my Xbox streaming experience (on Surface tablet, as well as PS4 streaming) was really, really bad, so it makes a big difference for me.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He kinda muddles it and says "Our hybrid streaming cloud," which is like "Wtf?" And he makes it sound like XCloud is coming in October, but ... it's not really clear, is he talking about console streaming or what...

My ideal service would be one where I can play games on my Xbox locally, and then jump off my Xbox and pick up streaming that game from a cloud instance of it running on any device. Not streamed from my Xbox over my network, but streamed from an actual data center on actual real hardware, not the 5+ year old computer in my xbox pretending to be a server. If Xbox + Xcloud does that, then I'm fucking on-board. Otherwise, I'd probably opt for something like Stadia. My Project Stream experience was really really good, and my Xbox streaming experience (on Surface tablet, as well as PS4 streaming) was really, really bad, so it makes a big difference for me.
So, "hybrid streaming cloud" is probably a reference to "hybrid clouds", which is basically when you mix local onsite hardware (in this case, your Xbox One) with remote cloud servers (i.e. Xcloud).

I do think the plan for Xcloud is for it to be constantly cross-saving with the local Xbox One. So, while it won't be the exact same session as the local version, your progress will definitely be shared between the two. That's one area where Stadia definitely has the advantage, since 100% of the rendering is done on Google's end, sharing game states between devices is far easier.

Valtor

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's everyone's thoughts around UPlay+ being available on it? I could definitely see myself trying that out with Stadia Base, connecting an old laptop to my TV, and having access to a Ubisoft's Netflix of games through Stadia... It's pretty limitative, as you only have access to that, but you get a whole lot of games for $15/month without a need for a PC, and you can upgrade to $25/month for 4k/HDR.

I don't feel like the Pro deal is interesting to me right now, particularly because e have no real sense of what's going on in terms of "free" games they're going to give, but that feels like a limited scope 2020 alternative, and if anything could convince them to add a $20/month (total) subscription to get a big cross-publisher library of games included in the service.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's everyone's thoughts around UPlay+ being available on it? I could definitely see myself trying that out with Stadia Base, connecting an old laptop to my TV, and having access to a Ubisoft's Netflix of games through Stadia... It's pretty limitative, as you only have access to that, but you get a whole lot of games for $15/month without a need for a PC, and you can upgrade to $25/month for 4k/HDR.

I don't feel like the Pro deal is interesting to me right now, particularly because e have no real sense of what's going on in terms of "free" games they're going to give, but that feels like a limited scope 2020 alternative, and if anything could convince them to add a $20/month (total) subscription to get a big cross-publisher library of games included in the service.
I'm sub to it when I get my founders edition to try it out. I'm just curious how many games will have been ported over to Stadia.. I'm doubting it will be near 100 lol

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Accidental post (this new forum software is super janky on Firefox mobile).

But here's id talking about porting Doom to Stadia and its performance:

Nice, that's a pretty informative talk.

Thanks. I may go/move to Canada at some point in the future, so good to know. One keeps hearing how bad Canadian Internet is, but this doesn't sound so terrible.

Have mixed feelings. It's nice that it's an option, but on the other hand it's pretty steep and I'd prefer more a'la carte style options (similar to how I dislike having to sub to entire cable networks with channels I don't care about). I'd appreciate a couple more plan options on Stadia from companies like Ubi; maybe a cheaper version for 2-3 games at a time, since I don't play all their franchises (AC, Beyond Good and Evil, that Mario/Rabbids game). Still it's not terrible to pay $25 for a couple of months to play the games when they come out, and then just unsub.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's everyone's thoughts around UPlay+ being available on it?
Not too thrilled to be honest. I think it'll lower the perceived value of games further, and make people complain more loudly about having to pay $50 for a non-Ubisoft game on Stadia. It'll lessen the view of Stadia as a full, alternate game console and make people think of it more like a cheap game streaming subscription service, a Netflix rather than an Xbox Two/PS5 competitor.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not too thrilled to be honest. I think it'll lower the perceived value of games further, and make people complain more loudly about having to pay $50 for a non-Ubisoft game on Stadia. It'll lessen the view of Stadia as a full, alternate game console and make people think of it more like a cheap game streaming subscription service, a Netflix rather than an Xbox Two/PS5 competitor.
But Uplay+ is coming to all consoles as well.. don't see how your logic only applies to Stadia.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
So is it true that Stadia and PC games will have 2 separate player bases? Saw some tweets from Scheirer and Bungie devs saying cross play is something they'll look into in the future and it implied Stadia will have its own player base

Also, even though I've preordered and am a proponent of Stadia, man was their rep's segment on GB nite show hard to watch. Nothing but buzzwords with no real answers to questions about bandwidth concerns and when we will be seeing games that really take advantage of the Stadia platform

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So is it true that Stadia and PC games will have 2 separate player bases? Saw some tweets from Scheirer and Bungie devs saying cross play is something they'll look into in the future and it implied Stadia will have its own player base

Also, even though I've preordered and am a proponent of Stadia, man was their rep's segment on GB nite show hard to watch. Nothing but buzzwords with no real answers to questions about bandwidth concerns and when we will be seeing games that really take advantage of the Stadia platform

It's going to depend on the game. Stadia supports cross play, so there's no reason Stadia players can't connect with PC and consoles. However, Google is promoting the possibilities of players connecting with near-0 latency on the data center side. So those benefits will probably not work with cross-play.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I may go/move to Canada at some point in the future, so good to know. One keeps hearing how bad Canadian Internet is, but this doesn't sound so terrible.

Thankfully datacaps became a political issue years back so pretty much all of the carriers have unlimited tiers. Prices are higher because it is run by 3 incumbents that have almost no oversight. While we have a lot of iisp's (independant) they do not have access to fiber speeds and installations are still run by the incumbents.

So it is good...but there are a lot of things to improve

Personally I have 1gbps unlimited with basic cable for $80 (ironically if I got rid of the cable my overall bill would be higher)

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Just give it to me now!

If Google keeps this up, Stadia will be my main way to play 3rd party games.

So many people are saying that Stadia is just for casual/nongamers. I definitely think it will be huge for those people. But consider the real possibility that latency is not noticeable, and the data center computing power exceeds next-gen consoles. To all but the highest-rolling PC players, this could be the biggest leap in gaming horsepower since SNES -> N64. And unlike PC development, where high-end graphics reduce your audience, with Stadia everyone will have access to the same performance level.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to depend on the game. Stadia supports cross play, so there's no reason Stadia players can't connect with PC and consoles. However, Google is promoting the possibilities of players connecting with near-0 latency on the data center side. So those benefits will probably not work with cross-play.
Yeah I understand that, for some reason I just under the impression that Stadia essentially is a pc so they would all share the same playerbase as PC out of the box. Now knowing it isn't may make it so that multiplayer games like destiny 2 at Stadia's launch may have some slim populations until the free version comes out in 2020.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah I understand that, for some reason I just under the impression that Stadia essentially is a pc so they would all share the same playerbase as PC out of the box. Now knowing it isn't may make it so that multiplayer games like destiny 2 at Stadia's launch may have some slim populations until the free version comes out in 2020.

Stadia games will be a separate build from the WindowsPC version of a game, so that's not a guarantee. But it should be trivial to have Stadia and PC playing together for most games. I think that will be the most common outcome for the next year or two. As cross-play becomes more the standard, we'll probably see no separation between xbox+ps+pc+stadia. Later there will likely be games designed around Stadia's server architecture that aren't cross play. But those games will probably be Stadia exclusive anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, that's quite expensive unless they constantly upgrade the specs which won't happen.
Let's say you buy a Xbox2/PS5 for 400-500$ and play it 4-5 years.
4 years of Stadia are almost 500$ + controller with consoles still offering the better experience and you can sell them for at least 100$.
Nah son, don't see how I'm winning with this.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, that's quite expensive unless they constantly upgrade the specs which won't happen.
4 years of Stadia are almost 500$ + controller with consoles still offering the better experience and you can sell them for at least 100$.
you "win" by being able to play games on a pc, tablet, mobile phone and TV without having to double dip

Oct 27, 2017
you "win" by being able to play games on a pc, tablet, mobile phone and TV without having to double dip
Fair enough, so ok, I guess I'm just too old-school, and this apparently isn't for me. I have my PC and console hooked to my TV, I'm not a huge traveller and I have no interest or desire in playing an immersive AAA game on a tablet or my phone.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada

So In your price for PS5/Scarlet are you factoring in multiplayer cost? Also remember you do not have to pay for stadia. For 1080p there is no fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.