• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My biggest concern is still paying full price for games that I cannot in any way shape or form play without a good internet connection.

Being able to play on your phone is great if you have unlimited data (rare in canada or super expensive) or are connected to good wifi.

Especially single player games.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, so ok, I guess I'm just too old-school, and this apparently isn't for me. I have my PC and console hooked to my TV, I'm not a huge traveller and I have no interest or desire in playing an immersive AAA game on a tablet or my phone.
yeah, and that is alright! that's the thing, stadia isn't for most of us who already have consoles in their living room and a capable PC.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies if this has been answered but I only see the link to the American store to buy the controller. Is there a link to the UK store for the controller only? Thanks.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I love the XOne-like controller but I also have a gaming PC. Even though it's aging (OCd 1070GTX) it still >60fps' a lot of games on High.

If they announced some kind of low latency in-home-streaming then they've sold me three of these.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, that's quite expensive unless they constantly upgrade the specs which won't happen.
Let's say you buy a Xbox2/PS5 for 400-500$ and play it 4-5 years.
4 years of Stadia are almost 500$ + controller with consoles still offering the better experience and you can sell them for at least 100$.
Nah son, don't see how I'm winning with this.

Why when these examples are provided:
- Fact that you can play Stadia for free is not mentioned
- Cost of XBL or PSN is never factored in?

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Does the Chromecast Ultra have an ethernet port?

Oh and will I be able to use this on my Nvidia Shield TV from day one or only via the Chromecast provided?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Chromecast Ultra have an ethernet port?

Oh and will I be able to use this on my Nvidia Shield TV from day one or only via the Chromecast provided?
The ultra had an Ethernet port (on the power and adapter)

If you purchase the founder kit it seems you will be able to use other devices. This was on my email

Look out for your bundle in the mail. Unbox Stadia Founder's Edition and start playing games on your TV and across laptops, desktops, and Pixel 3 and 3a

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stadia controller now available for pre-order.

Previously you were only able to pre-order the controller if you pre-ordered the founders edition.

Keep in mind:

You won't be able to play Stadia right away just by purchasing the Stadia Controller. Only purchase the Stadia Controller on its own if you already have access to Stadia through Founder's Edition and are looking for a second controller, or if you have access through a Buddy Pass and want to use the Stadia Controller.

store.google.com

Stadia Controller

An extra Stadia Controller for Buddy Pass.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
So in terms of how much data youre using is streaming a 1080/60 game the same as watching a 1080 video with good bitrate?

johncelery

Apr 19, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the current pricing model and performance mean that I can essentially play Cyberpunk 2077 on my TV at high level PC settings for only the price of the game and the controller?

The TVis an oldish 1080 samsung, I already have a chromecast ultra and average around 50gb download speed.

I don't really see a downside to this, assuming the performance is good. I'd rather not play this game on my base ps4, and won't be building a PC anytime soon.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the current pricing model and performance mean that I can essentially play Cyberpunk 2077 on my TV at high level PC settings for only the price of the game and the controller?

The TVis an oldish 1080 samsung, I already have a chromecast ultra and average around 50gb download speed.

I don't really see a downside to this, assuming the performance is good. I'd rather not play this game on my base ps4, and won't be building a PC anytime soon.
The very nature of this is very much "your mileage may vary".

But during the beta I played AssOdd on my 1440 monitor and it looked like a console game. There were a few hiccups where things looked like when youtube is chugging and switches you to low (I wonder why?) but it was very playable and an okay experience

I don't see CDPR making a twitch shooter that needs fast reflexes so, assuming your connection is stable, it should be fine?

johncelery

Apr 19, 2018
The very nature of this is very much "your mileage may vary".

But during the beta I played AssOdd on my 1440 monitor and it looked like a console game. There were a few hiccups where things looked like when youtube is chugging and switches you to low (I wonder why?) but it was very playable and an okay experience

I don't see CDPR making a twitch shooter that needs fast reflexes so, assuming your connection is stable, it should be fine?

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll just wait to see where things stand when it releases in terms of Stadia performance vs base ps4. I'm confident in the quality of my internet, but I suppose it remains to be seen what "version" of the game will be available through Stadia, and how the current gen consoles will compare.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So In your price for PS5/Scarlet are you factoring in multiplayer cost? Also remember you do not have to pay for stadia. For 1080p there is no fee.

But for us that account shared this gen( saving hundreds ) we only needed 1 sub between 2 accounts, We lose all of that and native 4K to switch, So the money thing is cancelled out when you own the console and games, And kinda don't with Stadia. Even going the free 1080p route you're still paying £50 a game.

All well and good though and like others have said, Streaming to a laptop and all that, Even tho remote play already does that for ps4.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So I was just in the Inaba Platinum games thread where he talks about the lack of innovation in console generations and mentions streaming as something new at least. Almost no one in that thread thought Stadia brought anything new to the table. Having watched both Google streams and read a few articles I find that to be facetious as the ghost recon video and other videos showed a lot of innovative things (google assistant, play states, YouTube integration etc.). Has google done a good enough job in highlighting these innovations?

PS. The hate on Era for Stadia (and streaming in general) is only growing. It's impossible to have a rational discussion outside of adedicated Stadia thread and even then the hate is there.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Where was that said? I never saw that caveat before.

People are speculating as in the fine print it says "
Looking at the fine print on the Founders pre-order page, it says...
⁴Buddy Pass will be sent within six months of delivery of your Founder's Edition. Buddy Pass must be redeemed within three months of receipt. Valid Buddy Pass entitles the recipient to access Stadia and a three month trial of Stadia Pro."

Valtor

Oct 27, 2017
There was a lot of hate and anti-Switch sentiment on Era before launch. Obviously Nintendo has a history of making people eat crow, and I get that hate/negative sentiment can kill the project stillborn, but I definitely believe that if given a chance, once it launches it may turn (some) skeptics around.

I'm definitely on the bandwagon, yet not enough to invest in the Founder's edition. I'm really a big proponent of the idea of using other companies' "Netflix for games" and using them as I want to play games. I could definitely see myself subscribing to Ubi's and play a bunch of Ubisoft games, then switch to EA's one (when/if it launches on Stadia) back and forth until Google actually steps up and offer their own... We shall see!

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd love that people are wrong and it comes day 1 which makes sense. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

The other thing they've talked about in totally insufficient detail is the "guest account". Conceivably buying Borderlands would allow a friend to play with you via a guest account linked to your license (rather than the buddy key, which becomes their account). It's been mentioned as a feature to facilitate splitscreen play, but they haven't said if it literally only works on one screen at a time. This is wacky, but presumably you could have splitscreen going via Stadia on a PC, and then stream your screen via some other service (thinking Steam streaming). Would be far from ideal, but might work.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Ah thanks. That's disappointing. I was hoping to play Borderlands 3 this year with an old friend who never bought a console.

Just looked at the Stadia twitter and they said the following

Twitter reply

Hey there, we saw your tweet and wanted to chime in. In order to access Stadia at launch, you'll need to purchase a bundle or receive a Buddy Pass. After Stadia Base arrives next year, you'll be able to buy and play the games you want without the Stadia Pro subscription."

Given this I think you should be good

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
So I was just in the Inaba Platinum games thread where he talks about the lack of innovation in console generations and mentions streaming as something new at least. Almost no one in that thread thought Stadia brought anything new to the table. Having watched both Google streams and read a few articles I find that to be facetious as the ghost recon video and other videos showed a lot of innovative things (google assistant, play states, YouTube integration etc.). Has google done a good enough job in highlighting these innovations?

PS. The hate on Era for Stadia (and streaming in general) is only growing. It's impossible to have a rational discussion outside of adedicated Stadia thread and even then the hate is there.
Yeah I chipped in on that thread to mention just a couple of ways that Stadia is going to be able to do things that traditional consoles simply can't (unlimited storage, clients all in the cloud etc.) but nobody cared. I am massively excited by the new consoles on the horizon and I can think of many flaws in the way Google have messaged and launched Stadia, yet I am still excited for some experiences that it will open up.

I agree with you, not much Stadia love in Era or many other game media I've read, but in dedicated threads like this and Reddit (which I never really frequented until Stadia discussion started) people are genuinely excited.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of hate and anti-Switch sentiment on Era before launch. Obviously Nintendo has a history of making people eat crow, and I get that hate/negative sentiment can kill the project stillborn, but I definitely believe that if given a chance, once it launches it may turn (some) skeptics around.

Who cares about skeptics? It's their right, the issue is the need for some to post in all Stadia thread as to why it will suck or why they don't want it and completely derail the already limited threads.

Pro-tip: no poster really gives a shit about what another poster chooses to do with their money for their gaming "needs"

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
So assuming that this will work pretty flawlessly and not lag as much as people think, should Stadia games look significantly better than Xbox One X games? For example, will there be noticeable graphical improvements to games like Doom Eternal and The Division 2?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So assuming that this will work pretty flawlessly and not lag as much as people think, should Stadia games look significantly better than Xbox One X games? For example, will there be noticeable graphical improvements to games like Doom Eternal and The Division 2?

It should, yeah. It really needs to be equivalent or better than the next-gen consoles, which is where the hardware specs line up.

We don't know enough about encoder/compression quality yet. Rendering a next-gen 4k image on the server doesn't count for much of it's smeared with a layer of vasoline and macroblocks due to poor video quality.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
It should, yeah. It really needs to be equivalent or better than the next-gen consoles, which is where the hardware specs line up.

We don't know enough about encoder/compression quality yet. Rendering a next-gen 4k image on the server doesn't count for much of it's smeared with a layer of vasoline and macroblocks due to poor video quality.
Thanks! Yeah I guess I'm excited by a taste of the next gen a little earlier via Stadia, as long as the compression etc isn't bad.

I genuinely think this will be a great way to experience games should it all work as planned. I really hope they price the games sensibly - if they are priced at £45-£55 this would be dead on arrival I think.

What's everyone's predicted price for a new AAA game? I'd say £30/£35 would be fair.

Valtor

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about skeptics? It's their right, the issue is the need for some to post in all Stadia thread as to why it will suck or why they don't want it and completely derail the already limited threads.

Good products have been killed in the past because of negative sentiment, that's why hype is so important, if a product or a media has it, it will be more successful, which will lead to a better ability to execute. I don't particularly care about skeptics, inasmuch as I don't want the product to fail before it has a real chance in the marketplace.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Good products have been killed in the past because of negative sentiment, that's why hype is so important, if a product or a media has it, it will be more successful, which will lead to a better ability to execute. I don't particularly care about skeptics, inasmuch as I don't want the product to fail before it has a real chance in the marketplace.
That is the intent of some of the posters to derail the thread. To discourage any type of positive conversation.

I can safely predict that when Stadia does launch, any game thread or Stadia topic will be flooded with Youtube links of people that have issues or trying to run a game with shitty internet or wifi to drown out posters that have a positive experience with it.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
That is the intent of some of the posters to derail the thread. To discourage any type of positive conversation.

I can safely predict that when Stadia does launch, any game thread or Stadia topic will be flooded with Youtube links of people that have issues or trying to run a game with shitty internet or wifi to drown out posters that have a positive experience with it.
The great thing about Stadia as a platform though is that once it goes fully public anyone can just try it (maybe completely free in some form) for themselves and make their own minds up. Most of the people complaining didn't try the Odyssey trial and seem to have a closed mind on the technology as a whole. I see Stadia as a supplementary service to my core gaming, but over time who knows it may become more, I'm intrigued to try it before I judge it, I've had decent experiences with PSNow and Geforce Now but I think Stadia will raise the bar and hopefully make other platforms compete in various ways.

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Thanks! Yeah I guess I'm excited by a taste of the next gen a little earlier via Stadia, as long as the compression etc isn't bad.

I genuinely think this will be a great way to experience games should it all work as planned. I really hope they price the games sensibly - if they are priced at £45-£55 this would be dead on arrival I think.

What's everyone's predicted price for a new AAA game? I'd say £30/£35 would be fair.
Unfortunately I think they will be £45-£60 the same as PS4 and Xbox currently are.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
A little confused

My understanding is that i can use stadia via chrome and using like a ds4 controller, if this is accurate id be able to play 1080p games on a free subscription w this hardware? Feel like im def missing something

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
A little confused

My understanding is that i can use stadia via chrome and using like a ds4 controller, if this is accurate id be able to play 1080p games on a free subscription w this hardware? Feel like im def missing something
You need to buy the games you want to play outside of the F2P ones like Destiny 2: New Light.

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
A little confused

You can do that next year when it launches, November is "founders" only. You still have to buy games.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
You need to buy the games you want to play outside of the F2P ones like Destiny 2: New Light.

Oh ok, so in general the free service wont have free games besides ones that are alrrady f2p? Makes sense

Oh woops didnt read the other post; so i can play 1080/60 free games using stadia if i have my own hardware? That's pretty wild

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The great thing about Stadia as a platform though is that once it goes fully public anyone can just try it (maybe completely free in some form) for themselves and make their own minds up. Most of the people complaining didn't try the Odyssey trial and seem to have a closed mind on the technology as a whole. I see Stadia as a supplementary service to my core gaming, but over time who knows it may become more, I'm intrigued to try it before I judge it, I've had decent experiences with PSNow and Geforce Now but I think Stadia will raise the bar and hopefully make other platforms compete in various ways.

This is why I think a lot of naysayers will wind up using it, even as they continue to say how bad it is lol.

If some game demo or online free to play game is a click away as opposed to a 20GB download away, even anti-streaming people will probably still do the stream. If only to kill time while their download finishes. I think pretty much everybody on Era will be a Stadia player in varying degrees by 2021. Not saying everyone is going to make Stadia their main platform. The draw of it is too strong, even before we start seeing Stadia's exclusive 1st party lineup.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
This is why I think a lot of naysayers will wind up using it, even as they continue to say how bad it is lol.

If some game demo or online free to play game is a click away as opposed to a 20GB download away, even anti-streaming people will probably still do the stream. If only to kill time while their download finishes. I think pretty much everybody on Era will be a Stadia player in varying degrees by 2021. Not saying everyone is going to make Stadia their main platform. The draw of it is too strong, even before we start seeing Stadia's exclusive 1st party lineup.

I agree. The barrier to entry is low. I'm sure many people here will at least give Stadia a whirl out of curiosity, especially if they provide a free demo.

Whether Stadia can retain these users and convert them into prolonged, paying customers is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.