• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So just posted on Reddit

Hi everybody,
Since October 15th, Stadia Founder's Edition has been sold-out in all 14 launch countries. We're excited and humbled by the amazing response from gamers in North America and Europe! This morning, we updated all Stadia orders to include your estimated delivery date. If you are looking for more details on your order, you can find it by clicking 'Orders' under your account page on the GStore. The dates you see are based on when we received your order. You will receive more exact shipping information, including tracking numbers, once your devices have left our warehouses.
Thanks and looking forward to seeing you online!

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
tOyf6HM.jpg

This is founders email they were sending out.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This is founders email they were sending out.
Yeah, they've obviously realized it can't work that way as they got closer to actually shipping, since it was just two weeks ago they gave a different order of events. And it does make sense - you ever play a popular online game on the day an expansion launches? Horrible laggy experience that's hard to even log into the game, it always happens, no matter how prepared they are. Google would probably rather piss off a few people who can't play on day 1 the moment it goes live, than make the service seem bad as the entire player base jumps in at the exact same time across the world.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe you still have to pay for the games along with this subscription service. It completely removes any reason to get this thing, to me.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you still have to pay for the games along with this subscription service. It completely removes any reason to get this thing, to me.
Think about what your saying for a second before you type

1. first of all you don't have to sub at all, there's a free version, like it says in the title of this very thread

2. even if you did sub for every single month it's not much different in price than buying a next gen console esp since you don't have to pay for online play

3. you think they are going to let you stream cyberpunk when it releases for only 10$?

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So you have to buy the games, but you don't even really own them. You're buying a license to play a game, as long as the service continues to run, and perhaps only as long as they make the game available on the service (not sure if publishers can yank games). This sounds like a really bad deal.

While this is somewhat similar to digital purchases on consoles, the difference there is you can keep the game on your drive. You effectively "own" those digital bits. With Stadia this is 100% just a purchase of a stream license, on top of the subscription fee. Not the kind of gaming future I want.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So updated my address (just selected the same one) and my elected delivery date is now November 8-11. Which seems to map up with a recent Reddit thread that says google customer service said.

Reddit

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
So you have to buy the games, but you don't even really own them. You're buying a license to play a game, as long as the service continues to run, and perhaps only as long as they make the game available on the service (not sure if publishers can yank games). This sounds like a really bad deal.

While this is somewhat similar to digital purchases on consoles, the difference there is you can keep the game on your drive. You effectively "own" those digital bits. With Stadia this is 100% just a purchase of a stream license, on top of the subscription fee. Not the kind of gaming future I want.

Digital games have been pulled off people's drives, though. If you're buying under a DRM scheme you don't really own anything. It's why I try to support GOG for purchases, since it actually means something.

Stadia seems fine for people just looking to play a game once and move on though, and I think that's the majority of the market. While real, none of these drawbacks are going to be deal breakers for the service.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I actually just did the same, and mine says Nov 7-8. That's much better than the 21st to the 26th or whatever it was.

there was a quick stadiacast video uploaded to YouTube this morning regarding this. Apparently when they did this yesterday it reverted back this morning. They called and apparently internally they see the"new" earlier date and the external store is bugged(apparently happened with the new pixel phone as well).

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
there was a quick stadiacast video uploaded to YouTube this morning regarding this. Apparently when they did this yesterday it reverted back this morning. They called and apparently internally they see the"new" earlier date and the external store is bugged(apparently happened with the new pixel phone as well).

And yes I looked this morning and it showing the old later date.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orcs Must Die 3 would be ideal (though i wouldn't call it AAA)
Also I think stadia will save you a lot of money, because you can sub to the Ubisoft subscription and play the latest games for only $15 , instantly play with a press of a button.

That's what makes me excited for stadia, instantly play anything that you want, no more downloads, or patches. Time to live in the future that we actually want to be in.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Also I think stadia will save you a lot of money, because you can sub to the Ubisoft subscription and play the latest games for only $15 , instantly play with a press of a button.

That's what makes me excited for stadia, instantly play anything that you want, no more downloads, or patches. Time to live in the future that we actually want to be in.
Uplay+ is actually the main reason I'm really interested in Stadia.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That's definitely good, when the stadia actually releases next year to everyone. I think they're going to eat up the cost of a AAA game and offer it as a promotion, just like they did for assassins creed during the beta test
That's what Destiny 2 is, and other games included with Pro. There's no way they are giving away games with the free service, because that would devalue Stadia Pro.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Think about what your saying for a second before you type

1. first of all you don't have to sub at all, there's a free version, like it says in the title of this very thread

2. even if you did sub for every single month it's not much different in price than buying a next gen console esp since you don't have to pay for online play

3. you think they are going to let you stream cyberpunk when it releases for only 10$?

also it's more like, normally, buy 200-400 console, then buy the game.

stadia, free, then buy the game.

what part of that are you not understanding the benefit of?

now granted the 10 buck a month thing is kind of sneaky because monthly charges add up fast. that's 120 a year. over lets say a 6 years cycle, you could end up paying 72x10=720 for the premier stadia package, which is more expensive than an xbox one x.

but for joe six pack he can play what games he wants and avoid the upfront fee, plus take it to whatever screens he wants.

not saying it'll work, but i believe it certainly has potential.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

dude what part of this do you not get the benefit of?

Normal console: Pay 200-400 for console, then buy game.

Stadia: Free, then buy game.

Granted the 10 a month if you choose that version will add up sneaky fast and in 6 years will =$720. I'm speaking of the free version hypothetically. even then, most people would rather not pay a large sum upfront.

i guess we are doing this thing of pretending free version doesn't exist? only way that comment makes sense.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
As soon as there's a Switch app I'll probably start buying some games on Stadia (Cyberpunk being one), although obviously actual ports to Switch are the ideal, even with graphical downgrades because internet connections outside the house will continue to be patchy in the UK for a looooong time. Plus it also depends if Stadia ware willing to do aggressive sales like Steam.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Still doesn't change the fact that the free version only gets 1080p and stereo sound.

Not everyone has has a 4k display and surround sound. It's actually not bad for a free option, I was figuring it would be worse than that.

The $9.99 a month isn't bad considering you get free games, 4k hdr 5.1 streaming, and no online fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.