• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The price of Destiny 2 The Collection divided by the monthly cost of Stadia.

$80 for Destiny 2 / $10 a month for Stadia = 8 months break even.
Huh, here in EU it's 60 divided by 10 so 6 months. (On Steam). Even US is 60 isn't it? Steam at least.

Holiday season coming up too so might even be a sale xD

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Huh, here in EU it's 60 divided by 10 so 6 months. (On Steam). Even US is 60 isn't it? Steam at least.

Collection isn't sold standalone. You need to add up how much Forsaken costs + Shadowkeep digital deluxe. It's going to be more than $60. Closer to $80 or $90.

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The price of Destiny 2 The Collection divided by the monthly cost of Stadia.

$80 for Destiny 2 / $10 a month for Stadia = 8 months break even.

Ah.... but considering that Destiny is a live game service with probably more expansions coming, that would probably extend past 8 months when new expansions arrive or when the sudden urge to revisit it arises. I guess if one just keeps being locked in to Stadia Pro it wouldn't matter much to them.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Destiny 2 is going free-to-play, they aren't going to sell it anymore. But the expansions and DLC all cost money; Stadia Pro comes with what is basically Shadowkeep Digital Deluxe (which includes all of Forsaken and its DLC, and Shadowkeep and one DLC), plus the season pass for all 4 DLC for the next year. In the end it's an $80 value. Admittedly, if someone already has Forsaken, then it's not as good a deal.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
From the link from BlueManifest
Google intends to support game mods, cross-platform saves on Stadia
Gamers have been wondering for a while if game modifications will be allowed with Stadia. According to Justice, that is the company's intention. For some games this is apparently "straight-forward," but others are a bit more complicated to support.

Further, Justice mentioned that Google wants to support cross-platform saves on every game on Stadia. They consider this a key piece of "next-gen" gaming. This includes both single-player and multiplayer games, but other platforms might present a challenge here.

Heard this before in one form or another but good they are continuing to talk about these sort of efforts.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Google start releasing services / tooling that can be used multi-platform. Would be very Google of them.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
From the link from BlueManifest

Heard this before in one form or another but good they are continuing to talk about these sort of efforts.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Google start releasing services / tooling that can be used multi-platform. Would be very Google of them.
Yup. I was really impressed by this too. I didn't know about that article until BlueManifest brought it up. I never used mods in my life, but I'm happy that people can have the option to do so. I hope it comes to fruition!

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Football Manager 2020 will be faster on Stadia due to its architecture.
Before the PR kicked me out of Miles' office for taking up too much of his time, there was one more topic I wanted to touch on; Google Stadia. The Internet giant's new console-hybrid platform has been confirmed to feature Football Manager 2020 as a launch title on November 19, and Sports Interactive hasn't been shy in suggesting that it will be the fastest way to play the game.

"We have some technology that's gone into it that was originally designed internally for use by our QA team to be able to play more matches," Miles explained to me without using too much jargon to keep it on a level that we can all understand and appreciate. "So our matches are one of the most intensive parts of the processing of the game, because every match – even the matches that you aren't playing – they still simulate the full match. There are eight-time splices per second. Multiply that up to 90 minutes. It's a lot of splices, a lot of maths, [and] a lot of decisions that get made."

"What the match accelerator software does, it works in a similar way to Bit Torrent. But rather than an internet connection, it uses computational power. So any spare computational power on any of the PCs on our network will start churning away, doing processes for matches, and running more matches. We're going to be doing that in Google's data centres. So the spare capacity in Google's data centres will mean that other machines in those data centres will be playing matches, and then streaming those to you quicker."

I saw this on Stadia subreddit

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Because when most people are talking about that they're talking about them doing things you could literally not do without Stadia. Not just doing the same stuff faster
I understand what you mean, but this is one of the things that are only possible due to Stadia architecture. Devs talked about what they couldn't do on normal platforms, and mostly it wasn't the features that they cut, but size/content. It is the power to do physics, calculations, rendering and things like that. If you are interested in watching the talk: Vision for Game Design in a Streaming Future.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The Football Manager stuff is really cool, but I don't see how that's impossible outside Stadia. The simulation data could be offloaded to a cloud datacenter from a console too. It's more that Google appears to be encouraging devs to utilize their datacenters for Stadia versions than anything else; Microsoft would likely support the dev doing the same thing in Azure for free, Sony/Nintendo wouldn't have anything in place.

If I were Microsoft I'd be paying attention to these Stadia stories and offering devs support for porting features to Azure; although TBH I don't even know if Football Manager even is a console title?

MS would probably support that for a PC version if they put it on Windows Store too.

Either way everyone might benefit from Stadia / Google encouraging devs to explore these options as the reality is these features don't have to be unique to Stadia or even game streaming most of the time. The real limitation is having to figure out the business behind letting a cloud provider use their DCs for free, and Stadia might put pressure on MS to support that for non exclusives.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Not good enough the entire library should be available. Should be a Netflix for games.

From whatever games they were able to secure.
That was never going to happen and probably never will with day 1 released third party AAA games without a ridiculous sub price. Google wants third party AAA releases on the platform day 1 (and I imagine users interested in Stadia would also want that) which means you'd have to buy them even if there was also a Game Pass style option (which I imagine will come one day).

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So just now I chatted with google support and was told Stadia hardware doesn't START shipping till the 19th. As one of the biggest supporters of Stadia here Google is really frustrating me. The worst part is I'm still super interested and a believer in the tech but Google's launch miscues keep adding up.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So just now I chatted with google support and was told Stadia hardware doesn't START shipping till the 19th. As one of the biggest supporters of Stadia here Google is really frustrating me. The worst part is I'm still super interested and a believer in the tech but Google's launch miscues keep adding up.
These things are annoying for sure but you'll probably forget about them once you have the kit in your hands.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Explains why the earliest delivery date seems to be Nov 20-21

I'm ok as long as I get my access to create the account on the 19th

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Explains why the earliest delivery date seems to be Nov 20-21

I'm ok as long as I get my access to create the account on the 19th

I know it's not the end of the world (or even close) but man it's not been communicated well. I was super excited to log in with everyone on day one and play some D2...now I will log in up to 6 days later. The dates given for my delivery are the Friday at the earliest till the next Monday the 25th. Odds are if it isn't in by Friday I won't see it till Monday.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not the end of the world (or even close) but man it's not been communicated well. I was super excited to log in with everyone on day one and play some D2...now I will log in up to 6 days later. The dates given for my delivery are the Friday at the earliest till the next Monday the 25th. Odds are if it isn't in by Friday I won't see it till Monday.
Their communication definately sucks, I would have been in the same situation as you but I caved and picked up the d2 expansion on PS4 so I could play with my son last week : )

(I'm weak)

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Google's physical products aren't in industries that usually have big "release dates" where consumers expect guaranteed release date delivery.

But this is literally the only release date Stadia will ever have sorta lol

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I would take that with a grain of salt, the term "shipping" has multiple meanings, and the person could very well have meant it was arriving starting the 19th. Second, consumer support for game companies rarely knows the real details for things like that (especially if it was chat support from the website, often chat support is outsourced)

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I would take that with a grain of salt, the term "shipping" has multiple meanings, and the person could very well have meant it was arriving starting the 19th. Second, consumer support for game companies rarely knows the real details for things like that (especially if it was chat support from the website, often chat support is outsourced)

it seemed pretty clear in the follow up email:

I understand your eagerness to receive the device. As the device is going to launch in middle of the November, the device starts shipping from the launch date. Hence, it will take some time to deliver the device to your location. Our team constantly works on all the orders to ensure they're delivered timely and it depends on multiple factors like the warehouse region, inventory availability etc.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
it seemed pretty clear in the follow up email:

I understand your eagerness to receive the device. As the device is going to launch in middle of the November, the device starts shipping from the launch date. Hence, it will take some time to deliver the device to your location. Our team constantly works on all the orders to ensure they're delivered timely and it depends on multiple factors like the warehouse region, inventory availability etc.
Yeah, but they said specifically that the first people who ordered could play on the 19th. So you have their official press releases, website, and stream telling you one thing and a consumer rep telling you a different thing. Thus the "grain of salt". Unless they are shipping some of them "same-day".

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Yeah, but they said specifically that the first people who ordered could play on the 19th. So you have their official press releases, website, and stream telling you one thing and a consumer rep telling you a different thing. Thus the "grain of salt". Unless they are shipping some of them "same-day".

I agree with everything you just said. That's my frustration lol. Why can't they get things straight? I ordered with a few minutes of preorders going live and I cant get my hardware for "launch". It's like the poster above said, I think Google just doesn't understand how this usually works. I mean if the 19th is hardware shipping day have go live be the next week or something similar. Make sure your most enthusiastic customers all have their stuff and are ready to go. I'm never the guy to do this but there are people who take time off for launches and Google said the 19th was launch.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You can technically play if you get the ability to create the account on the 19th.. Shitty way to spin it though

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Have they ever said where we would play the games we bought when the service closes?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
But you had to buy the console so comparing to Stadia part of the cost of the console/pc should be considered to.
Part of my PC cost perhaps. I use my PC for many things, I'd have one even if I didn't use it for gaming. I don't see anyone counting the cost of a 4k TV or their Pixel phone for stadia use on top of their Pro subs.

Besides, Stadia isn't going to replace my PC any time soon. There's bound to be games I want to play that aren't going to be available on Stadia (at least on release), especially the more competitive things are going to get.

Even if you want to count my PC costs, I just 'made back' $59 compared to Stadia then. Let's count that as well then. Unless we're only supposed to look at that one moment in time where someone is looking to buy a system and would prefer to save right there and then rather than look at the long term?

Last edited:

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Part of my PC cost perhaps. I use my PC for many things, I'd have one even if I didn't use it for gaming. I don't see anyone counting the cost of a 4k TV or their Pixel phone for stadia use on top of their Pro subs.

Besides, Stadia isn't going to replace my PC any time soon. There's bound to be games I want to play that aren't going to be available on Stadia (at least on release), especially the more competitive things are going to get.

Even if you want to count my PC costs, I just 'made back' $59 compared to Stadia then. Let's count that as well then. Unless we're only supposed to look at that one moment in time where someone is looking to buy a system and would prefer to save right there and then rather than look at the long term?

How have you made back anything? How do you know the cost of ANY game on stadia, let alone one that releases 6 months from now?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
How have you made back anything? How do you know the cost of ANY game on stadia, let alone one that releases 6 months from now?
Really? We're going to pretend a new game wouldn't be full cost on Stadia? Would they have had a $1 deal for it? Probably not right? So if you want to nitpick, I'll have saved 'Whatever the full price will be when it releases on Stadia' minus $1.

Status
Not open for further replies.