• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of my PC cost perhaps. I use my PC for many things, I'd have one even if I didn't use it for gaming. I don't see anyone counting the cost of a 4k TV or their Pixel phone for stadia use on top of their Pro subs.

Besides, Stadia isn't going to replace my PC any time soon. There's bound to be games I want to play that aren't going to be available on Stadia (at least on release), especially the more competitive things are going to get.

Even if you want to count my PC costs, I just 'made back' $59 compared to Stadia then. Let's count that as well then. Unless we're only supposed to look at that one moment in time where someone is looking to buy a system and would prefer to save right there and then rather than look at the long term?
Long term is that with Stadia, they will keep updating their hardware providing you with the best gaming experiences possible.

4k at 60 FPS is already looking crazy amazing

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Long term is that with Stadia, they will keep updating their hardware providing you with the best gaming experiences possible.

4k at 60 FPS is already looking crazy amazing
Long term upgrading to 4k and beyond will get cheaper and cheaper as well. We don't really know how often Stadia will be updating their hardware, but considering their sub model currently depends on a difference between resolutions it's not likely the free version is going to upgrade to 4k until some kind of premium replacement exists among the customer base and currently there isn't one higher than 4k that has any significant penetration

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Heh.. he says "Secret Sauce" a few times.

Nothing really new here; some more mentions of some of their more out-there techniques that aren't likely to exist for a while but it's all really vague... "We will apply machine learning".. interesting concepts but we'll see.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Heh.. he says "Secret Sauce" a few times.

Nothing really new here; some more mentions of some of their more out-there techniques that aren't likely to exist for a while but it's all really vague... "We will apply machine learning".. interesting concepts but we'll see.
Also warns of possible latency day 1

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Naturally there will be. No way that everyone's experience will be 100% latency free. Just expect some people to blow it out of proportion and also some people to fake it.
Absolutely, I will likely avoid Stadia threads here for a while after launch to not encourage the current circle jerk mentality of shitting on the product, I expect many YouTube links of people with crappy internet trying to use it.

Hopefully it will get out of their system quickly or mods step in to keep discussions on point.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think too many people are going to spend $130 to then turn around and disingenuously shit on the product.

I mean if anything what I've found with early adopters is quite the opposite; or at most a mix of people being overly kind and overly criticial.

In the end input latency effects the very core of how a game feels.. I can't think of a more valid complaint if a gaming service breaks the way a game feels for someone.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Absolutely, I will likely avoid Stadia threads here for a while after launch to not encourage the current circle jerk mentality of shitting on the product, I expect many YouTube links of people with crappy internet trying to use it.

Hopefully it will get out of their system quickly or mods step in to keep discussions on point.
I don't think anyone is going to spend the $130 on this that has "crappy internet". Well, not many anyway. They'll know what they're investing in.

There's a reason why Google is forcing the founders edition purchase at soft launch.

Next year when the free service is available for everyone, that's when they negative stories really start. Because every person and their dog will be giving it a try at that point.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
But seriously.

Someone sell me a buddy pass for $30; I want to mess with Stadia but not interested in buying the controller/chromecast yet. I have PayPal/Venme/Cash App

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think too many people are going to spend $130 to then turn around and disingenuously shit on the product.

I mean if anything what I've found with early adopters is quite the opposite; or at most a mix of people being overly kind and overly criticial.

In the end input latency effects the very core of how a game feels.. I can't think of a more valid complaint if a gaming service breaks the way a game feels for someone.
It's really going to depend upon people's home connections to how the comments come in days/weeks after release. I imagine there will be handful with crap ass connections who are going to spam the shit outta social media saying it's bad without looking at there home network.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

I've seen plenty of early adopters shitting on the things they adopted, blowing every little problem way way out of proportion. Some feel if they pay money for something it had better be the most perfect thing ever created. I fully expect people to say the thing has horrible latency, without mentioning that they were playing it while torrenting something with a family member streaming a 4k Netflix video in the next room over.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yes any talk of input latency should be prefaced by the fact it's subjective to someone's connection / situation.

It's all still valid use cases though. But yeah, any feedback is only useful with more data.. people should post their gcping results, whether anyone else was using the internet on their connection,e tc.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm a big supporter of stadia and hope it does well, but I really wished they had some demos to try, I think people would convert more if every game had like half hour to an hour of the game for free locked obviously to your gmail account so if you keep signing up with multiple gmail accounts all you can do is play the first 30-60 mins.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm a big supporter of stadia and hope it does well, but I really wished they had some demos to try, I think people would convert more if every game had like half hour to an hour of the game for free locked obviously to your gmail account so if you keep signing up with multiple gmail accounts all you can do is play the first 30-60 mins.
They said the plan is for free trials of Pro as well as game demos.

But like anything else Stadia related "when" we'll see any of it is up in the air.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
can i stream on my phone day 1?

From the FAQ:

Which mobile devices (tablets and phones) will support Stadia at launch?
At launch we will be supporting Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 4 phones for mobile gameplay, tablets running Chrome OS, and more devices will be made available in the future. However, purchasing games and managing your content can be done from any iOS 11+ or Android M+ device that can run the Stadia app.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
the messaging on this has been super confusing to me so I figured I'd ask. Has google said anything regarding free to play games on Stadia? Like the elephant in the room for this is surrounding Destiny 2 for me, because I'm assuming once Stadia Base launches next year, Destiny 2 the collection will also be available for purchase, but what about Destiny 2 New Light?

More importantly though, just in general, is Google allowing free to play games on their platform? I'd be extremely curious to see if the likes of Fortnite, and Warframe make it to Stadia, just because I feel these types of games could be a good way of letting people use the service, get a feel for it, and based off that decide if they want to invest in Stadia as a platform or not.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
the messaging on this has been super confusing to me so I figured I'd ask. Has google said anything regarding free to play games on Stadia? Like the elephant in the room for this is surrounding Destiny 2 for me, because I'm assuming once Stadia Base launches next year, Destiny 2 the collection will also be available for purchase, but what about Destiny 2 New Light?

More importantly though, just in general, is Google allowing free to play games on their platform? I'd be extremely curious to see if the likes of Fortnite, and Warframe make it to Stadia, just because I feel these types of games could be a good way of letting people use the service, get a feel for it, and based off that decide if they want to invest in Stadia as a platform or not.
They were asked on the reddit AMA, but they answered the question as though the person was asking about the "free games" that come with Stadia games, and not F2P games.

Multiple people on the AMA chimed in to re-ask and point out that they didn't really answer the question and they never responded.

I wouldn't bet on their being F2P games on the free version of Stadia, not without restrictions. Stadia Pro maybe.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
if stadia ever offered a version of steam there would have to be some deal between them and google like 15%\15% and it would be the Linux version of steam and it also wouldn't work with stadias exclusives

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I seriously wasnt trolling and didnt know that. I always assumed its somehow running in chrome or PC or something.

No worries. There has just been so much trolling in Stadia threads here and pretty much everywhere, just had to be careful. But yes, it can run in chrome browser, but it is not a PC platform. It is its own platform that just happens to play in a Chrome browser, as well as on mobile, and chromecast ultra.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell is this board, an enthusiast board, so quick to tear everything game related down?
This place is a well moderated site, but it is by no means impartial and has silos.

It comes down to the user numbers, which is why you will almost always see Sony and Steam threads as being overwhelmingly positive.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Sooo, anyone know if this will work on any other browsers? No Chrome on work computers, only firefox and IE.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
This place is a well moderated site, but it is by no means impartial and has silos.

It comes down to the user numbers, which is why you will almost always see Sony and Steam threads as being overwhelmingly positive.
I like all of the platforms to varying degrees and have my preferences but I have no desire to see the hobby shrink so I can feel justified in purchase of box X.

I stay dissappointed in the way that Stadia is launching but still want it to succeed. I don't have to own every platform and play every game. There are too many great games out there for the amount of time I have. Just feels like a lot of members on this site want a platform monopoly that's slow to adopt tech. I just don't understand the mind set of many posters here.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Stadia is not running games in windows, they need to be converted for the platform
Geforce now has to containerize the games for their service somehow too doesn't it? Does it matter to the consumer what the backend OS is?

From what I can tell Geforce now allows you to play many (geforce now prepared) games from the cloud as well, but rather than buy them they do an ownership check through Steam/Battlenet, and of course eventually a sub will probably be required rather than free during the beta currently.

On top of that it also seems to allow you to install some games on the cloud if they're not GFN ready but you'd have to do that every time you want to play so seems very cumbersome.

I guess perhaps you're referring to the idea that Stadia games, unencumbered by windows will have some performance improvement? Graphically that shouldn't matter since you're not running the game anyway, the service is and it should be a certain quality, so latency perhaps?

I assume the biggest difference is the scalability of Stadia for games specifically designed for Stadia, which could create games now possible for current day PC's, which is very interesting but are there many benefits beyond that? Most games that are going to be available for the coming years are likely to be cross-platform and given the current offering on Stadia probably close to the PC versions of the games anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.