• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Google Trump voice "Who knew streaming in 4k would be so hard??"

But seriously, I know they are different but Youtube TV doesn't stream in 4k right? Even though Fox has 4k streams of sports events on Thrusdays and Saturdays.

As far as this rocky launch... well I think YoutubeTV wasn't clean out of the gate, so maybe sometime forward Stadia will fix their issues. But you worry about Google not being patient enough. Because of bad publicity from the vocal gaming community.

Not gonna lie, but I did think that Stadia was going to have almost every current PC game instantly, and yes run at Ultra settings. I thought everything was set up already and it would be a flip of a switch.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Anyone's shipped yet?

a7327690-db19-4b5a-9x7k84.jpeg

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the early impressions, i'm still intrigued to try it out when it arrives , but i did check to see what the return policy is for the founders edition, just in case. (15 days if anyone's interested).

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same reason I cancelled my founders today. I could live with the early access state of the service if the games was maxed out and 4k/60fps, but now its useless. Hope we get a good streaming service some time next year or so. Would have been perfect for people like me traveling a lot with a work laptop
Same reason like you, hoping for the best but instead we got early early access, we'll now we know why they never showed 4k gameplay to journalist

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Stadia is not the product for me. I might end up streaming games on the go, when visiting parents or travelling, and I'll be fine with less quality on a small phone or tablet screen compared to my base console. But this whole 4K/60 FPS thing Stadia Pro is advertising just isn't for me, and on top, doesn't seem to work really. This is what was meant to be their surplus value and it doesn't really deliver on that despite theoretical power advantages. It might improve down the road but I think Stadia is still the future and not the present. They promised 4K/60 FPS if you have 35 Mbit of bandwidth after all. And that latency... No. Should have been a Beta instead of a full launch.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. I was a believer. I have 1000/1000 no cap connection. I don't have a pc gaming. I love me some 4k. I was even willing to buy red dead I have it in X but didn't play yet
Should I cancel this founder edition? Not yet shipped. If I get it now can I chose my founder name but not start yet my 3 month ? Willing to even keep it in box for a year if needed

adobot

Mar 19, 2019
Ok. I was a believer. I have 1000/1000 no cap connection. I don't have a pc gaming. I love me some 4k. I was even willing to buy red dead I have it in X but didn't play yet
Should I cancel this founder edition? Not yet shipped. If I get it now can I chose my founder name but not start yet my 3 month ? Willing to even keep it in box for a year if needed

I'm not cancelling my preorder, because quite frankly it's peanuts and I wanted a Chomrecast Ultra, but I don't really see myself using the platform until they get their shit together.

Promise: 4k/60fps
Deliver: 1080p @ medium PC settings on their marquee title for the platform.

Fucking Google.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I'm not cancelling my preorder, because quite frankly it's peanuts and I wanted a Chomrecast Ultra, but I don't really see myself using the platform until they get their shit together.

Promise: 4k/60fps
Deliver: 1080p @ medium PC settings on their marquee title for the platform.

Fucking Google.

I want to see if they provide an official response to the Destiny display settings thing. That looks to be the biggest fuck up here.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely disappointed to hear about Destiny being 1080p. They definitely have some explaining to do.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Damn it. Wanted them to succeed but they can't seem to get out of their own way. I will keep waiting for them to get there until I pull the trigger but man if everyone gets Destiny 2 as part of the package you cannot afford to let that go out in anything less than stellar form.

Seems like Stadia's performance is all over the place and understandably deviates much more than consoles.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it. Wanted them to succeed but they can't seem to get out of their own way. I will keep waiting for them to get there until I pull the trigger but man if everyone gets Destiny 2 as part of the package you cannot afford to let that go out in anything less than stellar form.

Seems like Stadia's performance is all over the place and understandably deviates much more than consoles.
It's especially bad because Google actually had a team embedded at the developer porting Destiny 2 for six months to make sure it was a perfect port. Which means Google's own developers were unable to make the hardware do Ultra Quality or 4k.

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
Got a shipping notice from Fedex, Fedex Ground from Google with a scheduled delivery date of Nov 20. Order was placed June 6, charged Nov 16.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's especially bad because Google actually had a team embedded at the developer porting Destiny 2 for six months to make sure it was a perfect port. Which means Google's own developers were unable to make the hardware do Ultra Quality or 4k.

Something really strange is going on; on the best-guest gaming PC equivalent to Stadia they should be easily sustaining 60FPS @ 1440p w/ highest settings.

4k on "High" they can average near 60FPS but not sustain. They could probably get close to sustained 60FPS at 4k medium.

Maybe the engine just isn't working well w/ Vulkan for some reason?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Something really strange is going on; on the best-guest gaming PC equivalent to Stadia they should be easily sustaining 60FPS @ 1440p w/ highest settings.

4k on "High" they can average near 60FPS but not sustain. They could probably get close to sustained 60FPS at 4k medium.

Maybe the engine just isn't working well w/ Vulkan for some reason?
Yeah, something seems off, honestly.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
What a mess, I'm not mad, just disappointed. It seems every day the product slips further and further away from what they were selling in their original pitch.

The good thing is the core streaming tech seems good, which is the main thing, everything else can (in theory) be rectified. We'll see if that happens though.

I'll be keeping my Founders Edition, mostly for Football Manager (assuming that even runs), although at this rate, I'll probably find out tomorrow it's just a ported Mobile version that runs in a lower resolution than on a phone.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Well finally got charged and shipped with shipping updated from 22-25 moved down to 21-22. I'll take it.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Got charged this morning and got my shipping notice a little over an hour ago. Says Nov 19-20. Would be ecstatic if it came tomorrow, but I doubt it will. Still ready to try this out and play GYLT. Also, I remember Geoff's tweet about the extra games at launch said Samurai Shodown would be a game given for Pro Members, like Destiny 2. Is that confirmed? That would be cool.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Among all this craziness, one interesting thing to note: Grid (2019). They released a Stadia trailer today, at 4k, looks pretty great. And the Stadia version of the game has a 40-player mode, whereas the other ports are only 16-player. Maybe it's a trailer showing non-Stadia footage, but I wouldn't think they'd do that as a special launch-day trailer.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Among all this craziness, one interesting thing to note: Grid (2019). They released a Stadia trailer today, at 4k, looks pretty great. And the Stadia version of the game has a 40-player mode, whereas the other ports are only 16-player. Maybe it's a trailer showing non-Stadia footage, but I wouldn't think they'd do that as a special launch-day trailer.

Yeah, I'm still interested to try out Grid on it.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Same. I was trying to cancel this morning but C'est la vie
The news is disappointing with the whole lower than 4k/max settings stuff. I was expecting that for some of the more demanding titles (i.e. Red Dead 2) but fully expected Destiny 2 to be maxed out at 4k. Regardless I'm still overall interested in the tech and do want to try it out.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that I'm impressed that it works as well as it does. As I noted on Twitter, when played on my FW900 the artefacts are less noticeable. Still, it's the actual game performance that baffles me. Lower res and settings that expected. It's not much of a match even for X1X yet.
Can you do a comparison between GeForce now and stadia? I'm curious how they compare in image quality and latency. Both of them have some of the same games too

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Mine didn't ship yet but now there's that "We'll email you when it's shipped blah blah blah" text and I can't cancel the order anymore. So they'll probably start shipping European orders today.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Will anyone here will be trying out stadia via VPN for those who are outside of those selected countries? I'm quite curious on how it'll run. It'll obviously be more lagging and more latency but it can be a good experiment I guess.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the big problem with stadia in the end is games.

lets say that streaming will be popular in the future and everyone has a similar service(ps/xbox). They have their studios and games, why would someone end on stadias store to get a new game and not on the streaming service they have an account already and existing games? They would need to offer better performance( they don't have a magic solution to streaming it seems) or much lower prices

they are launching early it seems to get their branding known before the other cloud gaming services officially launch. but long term this wont help....

Bradley Hare

Apr 27, 2018
I've said this from the beginning. A full cloud service has benefits over a non-cloud service, but they need GAMES. Not already existing games, *new* games that couldn't even exist without that cloud structure. That's the major edge they have, and they should've started on that years ago.

Probably why MS is in a good place as they have lots of bases covered. Gamepass is pretty much unbeatable today and if xCloud is included within the existing sub price, Stadia, especially given the tech isn't delivering a proper PC experience, might be dead before it starts.

I have this pre-ordered but mostly because I like new tech. Highly likely it will be going back.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its not for me. Since i cant own what i digitally buy... absolute No Go.

Waiting for the Blockchain Stuff to spread before i can go digital only.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Same. I was trying to cancel this morning but C'est la vie
I believe they have a return policy. You could go for that.

----

I said in the review thread, but I'll repeat here. I was looking forward to the Digital Foundry's review, and they delivered it. My concern, before seeing the reviews, was that it would have noticable to unplayable latency with outstanding graphics. But I knew that latency goes from setup to setup, so not even all reviews in the world would mean it would work for my setup. But graphics been an issue, for the best case scenario, it means it will be an issue for me... I was so disappointed and let down.

I know Stadia first day will be it's worst day. I don't doubt Google's efforts as seen this is still the best streaming solution to date. And I know the graphics are not even close to unplayable, or bad, but are subpar and underdelivering it.

That said, I'll still join Stadia and other streaming platforms when they are available for me. Graphics is not the selling point for me, convenience is. But the tech was the selling point of Stadia for me and I was let down.

Still, enjoy your first day at Stadia o/

Status
Not open for further replies.