• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
None of these have been formally announced by Google yet (probably will be on tomorrow's "This Week on Stadia" blog post) but in usual Google fashion some players have started noticing some new features popping up. I have some of them (the new "Phone Link") however do not see the additional party features yet.

The first added feature is the "Phone Link" function. What this allows you to do is to either use your phone as a touchscreen gamepad or to basically tether any controller VIA USB or Bluetooth effectively making it a WiFi controller you can use to play Stadia. The biggest draw of this are for people who have a Chromecast Ultra but do not have a Stadia controller. Now you can tether any controller to your phone and use it to play on your TV.

What I really like about this feature though is now I can use my Razer Kishi as a controller to play on my TV since it doesn't connect using Bluetooth (it connects directly VIA USB). I can switch between playing on my phone and on my TV without having to switch controllers and now when I travel I can just pack my Kishi and not have to pack a Stadia controller as well. I've tried it out and it works great!

20210927-221701.jpg

9to5Google did a really good write-up and video about it.

The other added feature (which I don't have yet) are public parties. Basically you can make parties that are viewable by people without having to be in the game which allows you to team up with people without having to jump into the game's matchmaking: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/pwuf14/public_parties_broadcasting_for_players_very/

Google usually always rolls out new features in waves so if you don't see this yet then it hasn't been deployed to your region. It usually takes a few days to a few weeks for a complete rollout. Anyway, just a heads up if you don't visit the Stadia OT!

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Google has really good tech and pretty forward thinking features when it comes to cloud gaming. It's just a shame their velocity has been seemingly quite slow (hence the jokes about how they only recently got a search bar..). The platform works really well for the limited time I used it. Better than xCloud in latency, mkb support, even 4khdr

Phone link is genius and would be great for multiplayer couch games or travel. I also have a Kishi usb model. Hope Microsoft is taking notes...

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Google has really good tech and pretty forward thinking features when it comes to cloud gaming. It's just a shame their velocity has been seemingly quite slow (hence the jokes about how they only recently got a search bar..). The platform works really well for the limited time I used it. Better than xCloud in latency, mkb support, even 4khdr

Phone link is genius and would be great for multiplayer couch games or travel. I also have a Kishi usb model. Hope Microsoft is taking notes...
Oh yes, they have been quite slow and for a bit there it seemed like the momentum they had with rolling out new features came to a stop. They've been finally releasing some pretty neat updates the past few months starting with Google/Android TV compatibility so hopefully the momentum keeps up.

Any excuse to not use the worst first part controller since the Ouya's is a positive.
Hah, I actually really like the controller. The good thing (granted this has been there for a while now) is that if your device has Bluetooth or a USB port on the device itself then you can use any controller you like: whether it be Xbox, Playstation, Switch, keyboard and mouse, or the Steam controller.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Stadia means life.

Brotherrrr.....It's not over yet!

I enjoyed what I tried of it for free. It was extremely convenient. The big deal breaker to me is that I have no faith Google will pull the plug on this in a couple years and all my possible investment will have been wasted.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
For what it's worth, I'm actually glad to see Stadia have somewhat of a following. I took the 10 dollar sub for a spin over a month and came away pretty impressed with the tech…only I have absolutely zero need for this service.

I am, however, loving XBox streaming from console and on the web, and Steam link at home. This tech is really coming along, and I'm very eager to see what's coming in the next five years.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
For what it's worth, I'm actually glad to see Stadia have somewhat of a following. I took the 10 dollar sub for a spin over a month and came away pretty impressed with the tech…only I have absolutely zero need for this service.

I am, however, loving XBox streaming from console and on the web, and Steam link at home. This tech is really coming along, and I'm very eager to see what's coming in the next five years.
Agreed! I'm on Luna, GeForce Now, and Stadia myself.

I was tremendously impressed when OnLive came out in 2010. That was very much "first gen" cloud gaming tech but it worked well enough for me. I was really hoping we'd see a bigger surge and push for cloud gaming platforms but it's taken it a while for more major players to jump in. I don't think cloud gaming will ever replace traditional consoles (nor would I want it to) but I really do want it to take off and be a sustainable long lasting platform.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any excuse to not use the worst first part controller since the Ouya's is a positive.

Lol its much better than the dualshock. As the dpad isnt splitted and the shape is more natural like xbox and switch pro controller. However, goolge did misplaced the dualanalog (the same placement as dualshock).

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I'll give Stadia a shot if it ever comes out in Australia. As far as I know there has been no mention of this by Google.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The technology of Stadia is so good and I still think is way more advanced than Xbox Cloud Gaming (I am say this as a Xbox fan).
But the game library... I just don't see I go to purchase any game on Stadia platform.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sticks are where they should be.

Nope, but then again, thats the downside of the dpad when using xbox or switch pro controller. But most games are analog anyway.
Let me put it this way; if you grap the controller by default without moving your thumb, you'll notice that it will be at the position where the switch or xbox left analog is. The right analog on the other hand is less important than those button on the right side, thats why it's placed lower. I mean it all make sense.

It's ok if you want to throw an opinion. But for it's like saying that analog is better than mouse when playing a fps game.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Cool features, but I was pretty surprised with how good the base Stadia controller was for a new entrant

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
stadia tech slaps - will probably pick up Riders Republic there due to cross save for when google pulls the plug

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Interesting stuff about the controller. A colleague at work has a CCU but no controller and is interested in trying Stadia out. This might be a good way to do so without spending anything until he knows it'll work for him.

(Stadia controller is great IMO. Its like the best aspects of the Dualshock and Xbox controllers merged into one).

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nope, but then again, thats the downside of the dpad when using xbox or switch pro controller. But most games are analog anyway.
Let me put it this way; if you grap the controller by default without moving your thumb, you'll notice that it will be at the position where the switch or xbox left analog is. The right analog on the other hand is less important than those button on the right side, thats why it's placed lower. I mean it all make sense.

It's ok if you want to throw an opinion. But for it's like saying that analog is better than mouse when playing a fps game.

Not really, that's not an objective fact. The right stick controls the camera and for some games is quite important.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Every time I see a Stadia thread I'm reminded that Stadia still exists somehow. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
(Stadia controller is great IMO. Its like the best aspects of the Dualshock and Xbox controllers merged into one).
Yep, for me it's up there with the Xbox One controller and I'd be hard pressed to say which one I actually like better. Thankfully with Stadia I can use both controllers.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I paid for stadia for a year and a half and only played it maybe two times. I've played Xcloud more and have only had it for a few months. Sucks, because the tech was impressive but the lack of features and games was a bummer. It's a shame it took them so long to roll out basic features

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad they're continuing to add new features to their excellent service.

I paid for stadia for a year and a half and only played it maybe two times. I've played Xcloud more and have only had it for a few months. Sucks, because the tech was impressive but the lack of features and games was a bummer. It's a shame it took them so long to roll out basic features
xCloud obviously has the better library, but it doesn't matter what games it has when it plays as poorly as it does for me. Stadia's game streaming tech is miles better than anyone else's. I really hope xCloud catches up.

I legit forgot Stadia existed until this thread

Every time I see a Stadia thread I'm reminded that Stadia still exists somehow. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often.
I know folks around here like to shit on Stadia, but I don't know what compels people to post this unhelpful, non-contributory garbage in every thread about the platform.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I know folks around here like to shit on Stadia, but I don't know what compels people to post this unhelpful, non-contributory garbage in every thread about the platform.
This is the first time I've thought or talked about Stadia in probably well over a year, so my response was genuine. I really did forget Stadia was even a thing.

I'm not trying to imply people shouldn't care about it. No negative subtext intended.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

They have the best cloud infrastructure you could want next to your own private vpn that's been debloated.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017

The sticks are good and the face buttons fine. The battery I can't quite comment since I've never used it long enough to run it down. Everything else is Not Good. The analog triggers have zero resistance to them. The only first party analog triggers that are worse are on the DualShock 3. The shoulder buttons feel deeply unsatisfying to use, much like the gen 1 Xbox One controllers before the Series S redesign. Last and most definitely least is the dpad, which feels mushy and indistinct. Trying to hit diagonal dashes in Celeste was extremely hit and miss, making the higher tier challenges in that game borderline undoable.

Even beyond all that, it doesn't even function as a backup PC controller. Most games will refuse to recognize it. The ones that did end up seeing it did bizaare things with the button placement, like tying clicking the right stick to pulling the right trigger. Also the d-pad straight up doesn't work. If you use a piece of software like XOutput, which can take pretty much any output device and tell Windows it's a 360 controller, it will work... But with digital triggers and no rumble.

I meant what I said. Not as bad as the Ouya pad, obviously. But worse than practically any gamepad worth owning in 2021.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda crazy that even with the worldwide shortage of modern consoles and PC GPU Stadia still can't capitalize on that. They really need some exclusive contents badly.