• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Google (GOOGL) plans to offer checking accounts to customers starting next year, a source familiar with Google's plans told CNN Business. Google is partnering with Citigroup (C) and a credit union at Stanford University for the initiative. The Wall Street Journal first reported Google's entry into checking accounts.
"We're exploring how we can partner with banks and credit unions in the US to offer smart checking accounts through Google Pay, helping their customers benefit from useful insights and budgeting tools, while keeping their money in an FDIC or NCUA-insured account," a company spokesperson said.
But Google doesn't plan to take center stage on the checking accounts. Instead, the financial institutions' brands will be put on the accounts and banks will be responsible for the financial plumbing and compliance. Partner banks and credit unions will offer these smart checking accounts through Google Pay. Google also hasn't decided whether the accounts would charge fees.(...)"

simpsons-previsoes-futuro_6.jpg

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. Capitalism. Yay.

I'll just wait till Disney jumps into the banking business. I can't wait to take out a loan from them.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Between this and Facebook trying to launch their own crypto currency, I hope that regulators will be heavily involved

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google already has most of our personal information, time to give it our financials too.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
No thanks. Will they be able to shut off access to your account and money if they deem that your account isn't "commercially viable"?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This is just another channel for Citigroup and this credit union to do account acquisition. Meaning Google can't do jack shit to your account other than harvest your data. Your relationship would be directly with Citi.

There are already a lot of programs like this out there. I'd never do it but it's not as nefarious as the headline makes it sound.

Apr 24, 2018
Apple has already partnered with Goldman Sachs for a consumer credit card. All of these tech juggernauts imitate each other whenever one of them branches out and does something new, it seems.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't Google operating as a bank but becoming a strategic partner for Citi to provide mobile benefits to customers. Sounds like taking PNC's virtual wallet capabilities and implementing them into your phone mobile wallet.

Both the title and the CNN article seems to be inaccurate of the actual reporting.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Sounds like they're just throwing their name on already existing infrastructure with a focus on integrating Google Pay.

Citi is centered around providing the backbone for these types of initiatives, even if they're just a credit card for random retailers or websites, so I can't blame Google for jumping onto something that every other company already does to try and ingrain their services on the users of their ecosystem further.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
There's an internet rumor that Google secretly has a cache of everyone's health information. Getting financial info will be so easy for them now

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
First, no, I'll stick to an actual local credit union.

Second, wait until you're two years into your Google checking account and they announce out of the blue that they're cancelling the service in a week.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
The Corporation Wars are upon us. Soon nations will be replaced by Corporations. The United Apple, The Amazon Block, The Social States of Google

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
What happens to peoples' money once they drop it after six months? And will this bank start in a beta?

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
First, no, I'll stick to an actual local credit union.

Second, wait until you're two years into your Google checking account and they announce out of the blue that they're cancelling the service in a week.

They won't be able to. Google will have to abide to strict financial regulations. They won't be able to pull the shens they have done in the past with regards to their now-defunct websites/apps.