• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/01/tax-reform-plan-republican-infighting-244418

House Republicans are scrambling to release their tax bill on Thursday after being forced to postpone the roll-out because of resistance from GOP lawmakers from Democratic states.

Tensions are running "very high," said a source familiar with the 11th-hour talks. Figuring out how to pay for final changes to accommodate Republican holdouts is just one of several issues still bedeviling House Ways and Means Committee members.

In fact, Republican tax writers could be heard speaking in raised voices during a more than two-hour meeting at the Capitol Tuesday night. Sources say there is some unhappiness among rank-and-file members who feel the plan has been written largely by party leaders without their input.

"Members on the committee feel their views are not being listened to," the source said.

A Republican tax lobbyist said he sees less than a 50 percent chance that the bill will be ready Thursday — though others close to Ways and Means are more bullish it will happen.

Meanwhile, people on both sides of Pennsylvania Avenue are growing impatient. White House economic adviser Gary Cohn told GOP senators during a closed-door lunch Wednesday that House Republicans need to release their tax bill before Friday, when Trump is leaving for Asia, according to two people who attended. Another White House official seemed annoyed by the postponement, telling POLITICO that Brady for weeks had promised he had the rollout under control

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
y8p24xma

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Where's that CNN picture with the ticker quote of Trump saying something like "Eventually, we'll get something done"?

That's my favorite picture of the year I think

Edit: Oh fuck me it's Fox News that's even better

DFCPeH_UAAAgPYB.jpg

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, the longer this goes on the more I'm expecting the GOP to split into two parties (GOP-Classic and whatever the fuck the Freedom Caucus wants to be called).

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
As awful as it is that Republicans are in all branches of government right now; it's funny seeing how terrible they are at actually trying to get things accomplished- without anyone to point the finger at either!

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These clowns are incapable of governing. They spent so many years propping up the most extreme anti Obama candidates, feeding their radicalized base a steady stream of racist red meat, shutting down the government every time they didn't get their way, that they've completely forgotten how politics work.

They went full retard.

Never go full retard.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
When the entire party is based on making the government not work, that's all they can do.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a big win for the Democrats, by splitting the conservative vote.
Definitely, they'd have to form a coalition any time they wanted to get things done, which is a bit more complicated than getting a party to fall in line.

Of course, that's just wishful thinking. We're still a long way from that happening.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? Obviously Hillary is at fault. Why isn't anyone talking about that?

Actually, a lot of people are talking about that. Believe me; I hear a lot of people talking about Crooked Hillary and the obstructionist DEMS, and their bigly Uranium deal, which we are going to get to the bottom of. Meanwhile, I and I alone have crafted a massive, beautiful tax cut, that's great for all of my friends. MAGA!!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, a lot of people are talking about that. Believe me; I hear a lot of people talking about Crooked Hillary and the obstructionist DEMS, and their bigly Uranium deal, which we are going to get to the bottom of. Meanwhile, I and I alone have crafted a massive, beautiful tax cut, that's great for all of my friends. MAGA!!

I just wish...

....someone would.....

.........DO SOMETHING!

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
My question is how in the fuck are they going to get this in under budgetary reconciliation? The plan was always to gut healthcare and use that to pay for the tax cuts. Without that, there's no way it will be net negative on the budget surplus (unless it increases middle income taxes which is a death spell for the bill).

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because as we all know, the most thoughtful and best crafted legislation comes from procedural maneuvering and an 11th hour blitzkrieg to meet some arbitrary deadline.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
" though others close to Ways and Means are more bullish it will happen."

There's a hidden message in there that brilliantly describes them.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So what happens if there is no tax plan this week? Do we have until next week? When is the deadline?

Trump getting elected is probably the worst thing that could happen to the GOP.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
What's funny is that their sudden lurch to the right is making governing so much harder for them. If they still had any concept of moderation, they probably could've had another round of Bush tax cuts and a similar health care passed by now, but they refuse to do *anything* in moderation.

We take it for granted thay all 48 D/I Senators will vote against whatever garbage the GOP spews out, but in a normal political situation it would be hard for Manchin, Tester, and Heitkamp to vote 100% with their Democrat colleagues.

My hope is that the "moderate" House GOP members who were conned into voting for AHCA with the promise that the Senate would fix it are not as easily fooled this time. Let's drag this out closer and closer to the 2018 midterms.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Great! This plan sounds awful, and certainly will raise my taxes if they remove SALT deductions, so hopefully it burns in humiliating fashion!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
They are just going to get eaten alive in 2018. Delicious.
Never underestimate the apathy of American voters. Just yesterday I had a discussion with a young Lyft driver who told me she didn't like either party. This is a common refrain these days and Trump's awfulness hasn't really moved the needle. Remember: just because people hate Trump/the Republicans doesn't mean they'll love the democrats.

TyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked some of the proposed changes but hated the elimination of dependents to reduce income. That one in particular hurt our family situation.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
My question is how in the fuck are they going to get this in under budgetary reconciliation? The plan was always to gut healthcare and use that to pay for the tax cuts. Without that, there's no way it will be net negative on the budget surplus (unless it increases middle income taxes which is a death spell for the bill).

In part by stealing from your 401K