• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
That would be a big win for the Democrats, by splitting the conservative vote.

I'd actually expect it'd actually siphon off a decent chunk of moderates (but certain holy rollers need to lay off the purity tests before that'd work and it depends on how many dysfunctional Bannonite monsters get on the ballot next year).

Definitely, they'd have to form a coalition any time they wanted to get things done, which is a bit more complicated than getting a party to fall in line.

Of course, that's just wishful thinking. We're still a long way from that happening.

That's what killed Boener.

Speaking of which: read if you ain't, everyone, for a look you don't get from the outside, and what isn't presented to the outside.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how worried I was this time last year about a full Republican takeover.

I didn't take into account the incompetence clause.

I mean taxes, the this g they salivate over year after year, and they can't figure this shit out?

I don't even know what to say

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I can't believe how worried I was this time last year about a full Republican takeover.

I mean taxes, the this g they salivate over year after year, and they can't figure this shit out?

It is all fun and games until it comes time to fill in the byline.

Mamba

Oct 25, 2017
Pass budget resolution only allowing for $1.5 trillion in deficit spending over 10 years

Write a plan with $5.5 trillion in tax cuts.

Try to make up $4 million in tax revenues from other sources in the course of a week.

Modern GOP, everyone.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still very worried that the cuts will pass, but if they don't, the ramifications on Wall Street will be the end of this administration.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
rD9Q9N.gif

Mr_Nintendont

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still very worried that the cuts will pass, but if they don't, the ramifications on Wall Street will be the end of this administration.
That's what I'm kinda worried about. A part of the reason stocks have been doing well lately is because of hope over the tax bill going through. There could be a big correction if they don't. It would be really inconvenient for me.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
When these guys talk about inefficiencies of government they are just projecting their own incompetence. I can't believe Americans keep voting for this party.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm kinda worried about. A part of the reason stocks have been doing well lately is because of hope over the tax bill going through. There could be a big correction if they don't. It would be really inconvenient for me.

Elections have consequences. Wouldn't be surprised if the last year of this administration will be a full on recession already.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How can they not get anything done? They own this Presidency and its a complete debacle....

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
America wins if this implodes.

Hopefully the GOP implodes eventually, too.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see GOP in a headline now, I just associate them with a terrorist group, and they are a collective of bumbling idiots as well.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why we are cutting taxes when we don't even have enough taxes at the current levels to fund all of the expenditures?

jryi

Oct 27, 2017
Where's that CNN picture with the ticker quote of Trump saying something like "Eventually, we'll get something done"?

That's my favorite picture of the year I think

Edit: Oh fuck me it's Fox News that's even better

DFCPeH_UAAAgPYB.jpg
Wait, what, this quote was actually on Fox? This has to be a joke, right?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why we are cutting taxes when we don't even have enough taxes at the current levels to fund all of the expenditures?

There are a few schools of thought on this.

1. "Supply-side economics", the idea that cutting taxes will lead to economic growth, and that the higher GDP will result in a larger tax base, making up for lower rates.
2. "Starve the beast", the idea that cutting taxes leads to eventual spending cuts, even if it causes higher deficits in the short term.
3. Good old-fashioned short-sighted self-interest.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
There are a few schools of thought on this.

1. "Supply-side economics", the idea that cutting taxes will lead to economic growth, and that the higher GDP will result in a larger tax base, making up for lower rates.
2. "Starve the beast", the idea that cutting taxes leads to eventual spending cuts, even if it causes higher deficits in the short term.
3. Good old-fashioned short-sighted self-interest.
Wouldn't be far simpler and more accurate to state that the Republicans only care about deficits when they aren't the ones in power?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pass budget resolution only allowing for $1.5 trillion in deficit spending over 10 years

Write a plan with $5.5 trillion in tax cuts.

Try to make up $4 million in tax revenues from other sources in the course of a week.

Modern GOP, everyone.
*4 trillion

But yeah, pretty much my reaction too. There are going to be a lot of pissed off parties if they manage to find that many cuts. And I won't be surprised if Trump flips on them, like he did with some healthcare provisions, once the public backlash hits.

Oct 25, 2017
NC

These people are the dumbest knuckledraggers to ever take office.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The original Bush tax cuts created 1.5 trillion in deficit spending over ten years (not counting the unfunded wars that began afterwards) and then added an additional 3 trillion over ten years when Obama chose to extend them in 2010. With this proposed cut that would be 10 trillion dollars of revenue lost, mostly back into the pockets of the super wealthy, spread over a quarter century. How is this nation supposed to function with that much debt and inequity?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My question is how in the fuck are they going to get this in under budgetary reconciliation? The plan was always to gut healthcare and use that to pay for the tax cuts. Without that, there's no way it will be net negative on the budget surplus (unless it increases middle income taxes which is a death spell for the bill).

Making parts of it temporary.

With the Bush tax cuts Democrats proved they are too scared to undo temporary cuts

Min

Oct 25, 2017
They are just going to get eaten alive in 2018. Delicious.

Who's to say those seats aren't going to be won by an alt-right candidate who flouts being an outsider that will break up the system to get things done? Like I think these Republicans are going to get flayed, I'm not sure who America will choose as their successor though.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
The original Bush tax cuts created 1.5 trillion in deficit spending over ten years (not counting the unfunded wars that began afterwards) and then added an additional 3 trillion over ten years when Obama chose to extend them in 2010. With this proposed cut that would be 10 trillion dollars of revenue lost, mostly back into the pockets of the super wealthy, spread over a quarter century. How is this nation supposed to function with that much debt and inequity?

I have good news! Our president told us that we can always pay off the debt, because we can just print the money!!

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/11/news/economy/donald-trump-print-money/index.html

....He is either breathtakingly stupid, or just assumes that his voters are....or both.

It's both.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what, this quote was actually on Fox? This has to be a joke, right?
Like I said, it's my favorite picture of the year. It's just too perfect to be real but it is.

The quote is paraphrased to fit into the ticker, but the best part is that even paraphrased, he still said those exact words in that order:

So we'll see what happens. There's some other things going on right now as we speak, but I am disappointed because, for so many years, I've been hearing repeal and replace. I'm sitting in the Oval Office, right next door, pen in hand, waiting to sign something, and I'll be waiting. And eventually we're going to get something done, and it's going to be very good.

He's talking about healthcare sure but the image of his dumb face with that quote under it can be used for so much more than that ahahahahaha

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This tax bill confuses me. Reading the article I found it difficult to keep up with what was being said unless I reread passages several times, and even then I didn't get a full grasp.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Do they really believe in supply side economics and all that voodoo about job creators or they just want to give rich people more money?