• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Daily Beast:
When an average American's social-media posts don't go viral, it's often understood the problem is with the content. But when that happens to a conservative pundit, it's a left-wing conspiracy, at least according to a growing number of Republicans in the House.

Several vocal lawmakers on the powerful House Judiciary Committee are threatening to clamp down on Silicon Valley unless companies like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube can prove they're treating conservative—even the alt-right trolls—content the same as they treat liberal, progressive, and mainstream material.

While traditional GOP orthodoxy rejects regulation out of hand, not to mention that this Congress has been the most anti-regulation in recent memory, these lawmakers are flipping that script on its head when it comes to what they see as an assault on conservative talking heads.

As a result, they are already dangling a number of sharp proposals over the necks of these social-media behemoths that are intended to make them fall in line with the GOP worldview, including one that would end, or even tweak, special protections Congress gave to websites who host outside content—a move that would open the companies up to litigation.

"One of the versions would be to require that they publish the algorithms. Another one would be to go back to that section in the code that gives them that protection [and] tweak that so that they become publicly liable and then let the lawyers fix it," Rep. Steve King (R-IA) told The Daily Beast. "I don't like that solution either, but it seems to be the one this Congress is more likely to accept."

King argues these big tech firms are, like his Democratic colleagues—and unlike himself, of course—blinded by their ideologies.

"When I talk to leftists, they really just, some of them just do not have, even though they've got a lot of cognitive ability, they're wired so differently that they can't rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative," King lectured just off the House floor. "So, therefore, their reasoning ability just doesn't have the circuits to make an objective judgement."
Because the right hasn't already completely ruined Facebook, YouTube, Twitter et al.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
They're scared of the internet because the internet distributes information. They don't like distribution of information because that causes people to identify the current republican party as shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
"When I talk to leftists, they really just, some of them just do not have, even though they've got a lot of cognitive ability, they're wired so differently that they can't rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative," King lectured just off the House floor. "So, therefore, their reasoning ability just doesn't have the circuits to make an objective judgement."

The lack of self-awareness is laughable

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
"One of the versions would be to require that they publish the algorithms. Another one would be to go back to that section in the code that gives them that protection [and] tweak that so that they become publicly liable and then let the lawyers fix it," Rep. Steve King (R-IA) told The Daily Beast. "I don't like that solution either, but it seems to be the one this Congress is more likely to accept."

This really shows that the alt-reich morons in congress understand neither free speech or how the internet works. Lol, social media has been a blessing to these dipshits and they're gonna attempt to alter with that in any way?

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So the GOP is basically asking liberals to ask themselves "what would nazis do?"...

Oct 25, 2017
"When I talk to leftists, they really just, some of them just do not have, even though they've got a lot of cognitive ability, they're wired so differently that they can't rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative,"
The most valuable life lesson I got out of college is that conservatives will stab me in the back the second I show it so yeah this is pretty true, and a compliment at that.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Steve King of all people. The most blatantly racist member of Congress. Of course he wants regulation when it suits his interests.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
"We actually want it to be easier to spread bullshit Daily Caller, Gateway Pundit, and Breitbart stories that have already been debunked." - Steve King, noted white nationalist

Oct 27, 2017
GOP can't do shit. Silicon Valley wields significant power and itself accounts for a significant portion of the US's GDP.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
These aren't bad suggestions, even though they come from such a dumb place (Steve King). If anything, opening platform holders up to litigation for the things they host would more likely wipe out the far right than spread it.

There's a 0% possibility that the same Supreme Court that repeatedly has said corporations have a right to free speech would allow a law that forced these companies to promote content in specific ways though.

As always they full well know this isn't about free speech and they don't believe in that or democracy. It's just about propaganda and power.

They're also fully trapped in the language and thinking of scientific racism, always framing everything as "biological differences" and "these people simply don't think the way we do because of Their Wiring".

And while theoretically holding internet companies more responsible might be good, I'd assume here it's being used merely as a scare tactic to keep companies from banning right wing propaganda. Companies know how much shit they'd be in if they were liable for the stuff they allow to be posted to drive clicks.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

See what the fuck we're dealing with? Steve King is an idiot and he's telling other people they can't reason. It's so idiotic it's almost funny. Almost.

What IS funny is, "rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative." Of course. How would I be able to "rationally" put myself in the mind-set of an irrational, ignorant, racist, sexist, homophobic, religious zealot, white nationalist, neo-nazi-loving, mouth-breathing dipshit?

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's always nice when Republicans remind us all that their commitment to free speech is an inch deep.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though they're the minority in both chambers of Congress, Democrats are vowing to not let the GOP intimidate these companies into becoming mere meme factories for the alt-right. That's why they're rebuffing attempts to make changes to the Communications Decency Act.

"That actually enhances the First Amendment by saying 'We're not going to just let random people sue these companies because of videos and posts that appear on these platforms,'" Lieu continued. "I think that's a good law and it actually enhances the First Amendment, and it's perfectly consistent with what we're trying to do, which is not have government interfere with free speech over the Internet."
Ted Lieu (D-CA) is 100% right here.

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Via Daily Beast:

Or maybe, just maybe, they do have the cognitive ability and it's really just the case that you're the fucking irrational idiot?

Just to clarify, when I say maybe I mean 100% definitively.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do they even need to tell them that? The Reddit admins re-instated KotakuInAction after it was shut down by the creator of the Subreddit, so I'm pretty sure they're just fine with it.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
damn if only there was a thing to protect private organizations from government bullying when it comes to speech

Azem

Oct 25, 2017

Says the guy who can't fathom the idea that progressivism can succeed and spread on its own merits.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
So I'm just imagining YouTube recommending me reactionary videos after watching something tangentially related to Star Wars and gaming?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But they are though...

So I'm just imagining YouTube recommending me reactionary videos after watching something tangentially related to Star Wars and gaming?

Or victims of harassment and violence being banned on twitter for talking about their experiences?

These motherfuckers aren't paying attention. They've BEEN in control.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
So this has nothing to do with the fact that conservative posts (and / or conservative humor) tend to do less well online among the social media population than other types of posts do. It's the algorithm's fault. Got it.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Folks, it's called moving the goalposts. There is never "enough" for the GOP. It's reflected in how they negotiate; they don't budge while insisting on compromise, so when you take a step back they sneer and take two steps toward you and accuse you of obstruction.

So yeah, whatever Silicon Valley is doing today, it's not enough in the context that there's still room to keep moving things further to the right.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
GOP: Fix the issues with Russian fake news on your site.
Social Media Platforms: Okay.
GOP: But make sure you give right wing nutsos equal time on our plaform.
Social Media Platforms: But you told us to curb fake news?
GOP: Russian fake news. Clear difference.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
GOP: Fix the issues with Russian fake news on your site.
Social Media Platforms: Okay.
GOP: But make sure you give right wing nutsos equal time on our plaform.
Social Media Platforms: But you told us to curb fake news?
GOP: Russian fake news. Clear difference.
When did republicans call on social media to fight Russian fake news? For the most part, they just try to downplay its affects on voting.