• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How dividends work, like if i had a single share of Disney they would still be required to send me a check?

Stock splits, how can you suddenly make more of a company?

And do hostile takeovers work like movies? Like if I was able to get 51% of Proctor and Gamble I would own it?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
If you have to ask what a Gordon Gekko is, you can't afford it

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Man, if you're asking Gordon Gekko for stock advice, you're already fucking up.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've always wondered is whether stocks were once physical things. I imagine they would be big empty boxes that people redistributed every day.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How dividends work, like if i had a single share of Disney they would still be required to send me a check?

And do hostile takeovers work like movies? Like if I was able to get 51% of Proctor and Gamble I would own it?

yes, you get dividends for every stock if the company pays dividends.

when a split happens, the number of stocks double (or triple or quadruple etc.) but their value decreases the same way. so if you own 100 stocks worth 100 dollars each, after a split you might have 200 stocks worth 50 dollars each. you don't own any more of the company since the value stays the same.

and hostile takeovers are possible. many companies however have separate voting shares.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, that's how dividends work. Amazon has only recently begun paying any dividends, they reinvested their profits and were running at near-0% on paper profit margin for a long time.

Stock splits are just dividing it into smaller pieces to make it more liquid If you are selling some off it can make it easier to do so. Berkshire Hathaway stock has had an extraordinarily high share price for eons and when they wanted to create a "public" option for smaller investors they created a new class of stock that didn't have voting rights - https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/02/14/when-will-berkshire-hathaway-split-its-stock-again.aspx

Basically yeah.

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Yes you will get the dividend, otherwise you've been robbed because the stock value will decrease by the dividend amount when it gets paid.

2. You make more shares but the shares are worth less, such that the total market cap is unchanged. More shares at a cheaper price encourages more investment and trading activity.

3. Share ownership gives voting rights, of you have >50% of stock then you have the sole right to decide the companies board of directors which effectively gives you control

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
For stock splits, you are not creating more money/value. It is similar to splitting a single $100 bill into 100 $1 bills, no difference in value just in denominations. Everyone who owns the stock will get the exchange value of the new stock. They do this because a stock can become so high value it is hard to do business with it. If you only had $100 bills in your pocket then it would be very hard to do day-to-day business, splitting into equivalent smaller denominations would just make business easier.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
For stock splits, you are not creating more money/value. It is similar to splitting a single $100 bill into 100 $1 bills, no difference in value just in denominations. Everyone who owns the stock will get the exchange value of the new stock. They do this because a stock can become so high value it is hard to do business with it. If you only had $100 bills in your pocket then it would be very hard to do day-to-day business, splitting into equivalent smaller denominations would just make business easier.
That is a good way of explaining

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
There are also different types of stock usually referred to as common stock and preferred stock. Common stocks are usually given dividends (either a cash dividend or a stock dividend. Yes you can choose to get more of a companies stock instead of cash if the company allows it) and voting rights. While Preferred stocks are typically more expensive but have the catch that they are guaranteed a fixed amount of dividends in a given year.

So lets say I have 10 people who own enough preferred stock that I need to give out 1 annual payments of cash too. Then I have 100 people who have common stock who I told I can give dividends too. Each preferred stock owner is guaranteed $1,000 each in cash for their dividends. So I set aside $10,000 bucks that $10,000 is guaranteed to go to the preferred stock holders no matter what. If I set aside $11,000 the $10,000 will go to the preferred and the left over money will be split among the common stock holders all at once.