• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Ramsay now wants to parachute into foreign food cultures and show the locals he can cook their cuisines better than they can. In each episode of Uncharted, according to a press release, the celebrity chef will take in the traditional foodways, attempt to go about "discovering the undiscovered," and finally engage in a kitchen competition against the locals, "pitting his own interpretations of regional dishes against the tried-and-true classics."
https://www.eater.com/2018/7/26/176...charted-tv-show-national-geographic-uncharted

This is like the anti-Bourdain unless he loses almost all the time to the locals.

MOD EDIT: Adding press release explaining the show concept.

Each episode of UNCHARTED will include three key ingredients: unlocking a culture's culinary secrets through exploration and adventure with local food heroes, no matter where they may lead him; tracking down high-octane traditions, pastimes and customs that are specific to the region in hopes of discovering the undiscovered; and, finally, testing Ramsay against the locals, pitting his own interpretations of regional dishes against the tried-and-true classics. The series moves beyond conversation to truly immerse Ramsay in all aspects of the local culture to better prepare him for the final friendly cooking competition with local chefs and foodies.

Join Ramsay as he scales roofs of caves to harvest fresh nests in Malaysian Borneo and puts fear aside to hunt tarantulas in Cambodia. Ramsay will travel through cities and remote areas, experiencing local challenges underwater, across mountains and through the jungle, and explore each location's extraordinary cultures, to uncover what it really takes to obtain each special ingredient.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the old Throwdown with Bobby Flay, but Ramsay is going to different countries instead of different US cities. I think Flay lost a lot in those shows, but I don't really remember.

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't he do this type of show before? Saw the clips on YouTube a while back. It was enjoyable to watch and well, he is a hell of a chef so he got into each food style very very easily.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
He already did this

And yes he ended up cooking extremely well

I forgot what the show is called but it's on YouTube and only had a few episodes

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this was going to be about 24 Hours To Hell And Back and how absolutely goddamn ridiculous that restaurant for dogs episode was. I couldn't stop laughing at how bad of an idea that place was.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His shows are full of a lot of sappy bullshit so I expect this to be fairly scripted and that he will lose most of the time

Exactly this. It's disgusting and arrogant for Gordon to think he knows more about how to arrange food than these people.

But he probably does know more and probably can cook a lot of things better than almost anyone after being shown once or twice.. Just because something is traditional doesn't mean it's perfect, or that changing it will ruin it. A lot of times on Top Chef, for example, a chef with a background in one type of cuisine/culture elevates a traditional dish from a totally different cuisine/culture.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
It's like the old Throwdown with Bobby Flay, but Ramsay is going to different countries instead of different US cities. I think Flay lost a lot in those shows, but I don't really remember.
I was going to say this. Bobby did lose a few of the showdowns but managed to win a lot more than he lost.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
He already did this

And yes he ended up cooking extremely well

I forgot what the show is called but it's on YouTube and only had a few episodes

I think it's Gordon's Great Escape. If that's any indication of how this will go, then it's not him acting like he's better than the chefs in those countries. He very much tries to learn the recipes and respect the culture that he's in.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest he's tried similar things before. He tried to face a master Japanese chef and lost badly. I think he's just competitive and always shows respect towards them. The way the article says it is like he's just walking in and demanding his way is right.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a shot and see if its actually decent or ends up being really, incredibly stupid. I suppose Fox probably has a gap of time in the year where they can have another Ramsay show lol

I thought this was going to be about 24 Hours To Hell And Back and how absolutely goddamn ridiculous that restaurant for dogs episode was. I couldn't stop laughing at how bad of an idea that place was.

Lol I thought the same thing. Didn't realize there was another new show coming.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This actually could be an interesting concept if a lot of the episodes go the route of "No Gordon you missed aspect X, Y, and Z of the dish." Then goes in to those unique aspects.

I don't get the sense that Gordon is disrespectful of other cultures' traditional dishes. I think the summary of the show probably sounds a lot worse than the show will actually be. We'll see I guess.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
DZ1LyAhU8AE9GaS.jpg

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the concept, could be a disaster if he shits on the visiting country, but friendly competition seems like fun. Would love to see what locals think of his take on their dishes.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
There's a wonderful video of Ramsay attempting to cook Pad Thai for a Thai chef, only to be told what he cooked wasn't actually pad thai.

I'd watch for clips like this.

Edit - Beaten.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the concept, could be a disaster if he shits on the visiting country, but friendly competition seems like fun. Would love to see what locals think of his take on their dishes.

He greatly respected their cuisine, immersed himself in their culture and was extremely humble and complimentary

At least last time this happened

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Did he. Watched a few episodes when I was at the gym one time and he didn't lose once.

But yeah sounds really similar to that except he's going to different countries. As long as he isn't shitting on them or belittling them it should be fine.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'd have to see how it plays out to get a real determination on whether this is good or not. It sounds bad though.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a fun show. I've yet to see Ramsey disrespect another culture's food, except for shark fin soup.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Meh... don't get any of the hate for this in theory.

He's travelling the world, shining a light on different cuisines all while learning and competing himself.

so he'll be britsplaining other cultures' food to their cooks

Not sure where you got any of that... you're acting like he's going to countries and telling THEM how to cook.

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017
Exactly this. It's disgusting and arrogant for Gordon to think he knows more about how to arrange food than these people.

He's one of the best chefs in the entire world. So he does know more about cooking and plating food than most people. You're just assuming that he's going to tell these people what's right. More likely, he's going to put his spin on the foods, discuss the origins and techniques and try and win a food competition. What is arrogant about that?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The headline and tweet are totally editorializing. As long as he's respectful...which he always is to other chefs, it'll be fine.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he just make a 24-hour Kitchen Nightmares show? How many shows, man? HOW MANY SHOWS?!

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching something like this with him in Singapore. Honestly, it wasn't as insulting as I thought it would be.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
lol this seems incredibly insensitive to these cultures. He's straight up christopher columbus.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's like when he toured about eating all the snake hearts and shark fins. He just wants an excuse to do exotic travel and train with traditional chefs, and the network's falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
so he'll be britsplaining other cultures' food to their cooks

It really just depends on how the show is presented tbh.

He had another series where he traveled to other countries to learn from people, and all in all that show came out pretty respectful to those cultures (I think).

If this show is more of a cook off and twist on cuisines, and Gordon is humble I think it'll be good.