• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly this. It's disgusting and arrogant for Gordon to think he knows more about how to arrange food than these people.

This attitude is fucking stupid lmao.

"This world star chef can't possibly learn to cook a dish from a different culture better than people from that culture because he didn't grow up with the dish!!1!1!!one!1"

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Did he. Watched a few episodes when I was at the gym one time and he didn't lose once.

But yeah sounds really similar to that except he's going to different countries. As long as he isn't shitting on them or belittling them it should be fine.
He's got a new show now that he never loses, but on the old show where he actually travelled I think he did.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the best chefs in the entire world. So he does know more about cooking and plating food than most people. You're just assuming that he's going to tell these people what's right. More likely, he's going to put his spin on the foods, discuss the origins and techniques and try and win a food competition. What is arrogant about that?
A white man travelling the World showing they dont cook their food as a white cheff, and How he's better, in some countries he will travell this Will be racist and colonialist...
And even in white people countries arrogant.

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017
A white man travelling the World showing they dont cook their food as a white cheff, and How he's better, in some countries he will travell this Will be racist and colonialist...
And even in white people countries arrogant.

You literally made every part of that up except for the fact that he's a white chef traveling the world.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the catalyst for the show.

Side note: Why the knee jerk hate for this. Not you particularly, but others.

Several people don't want to see their cultures food 'improved' upon by some white dude that has nothing to do with the culture. People are assuming the worst. I'm guilty of this too. Maybe he will remain true to the culture, but if I saw him fly in and 'improve' on arepas con carne I'd almost certainly be upset if it wasn't very true to the culture despite how good it might taste.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The Eater article really puts this forward on the absolute wrong foot. Here's the press release in case folks want to hear what the folks making the show have to say about it, minus the 'neo-colonial' spin Eater's headline and lede spilling all over the discussion. Nowhere is it mentioned that Gordon intends to teach the locals anything, or that he plans on proving local culture wrong when it comes to their own home cooking traditions.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the responses in here are insane. Comparing him to Christopher Columbus? HOW?!

Concept sounds interesting and the GF have a guilty pleasure for any and all cooking shows. Hopefully this is good.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the old Throwdown with Bobby Flay, but Ramsay is going to different countries instead of different US cities. I think Flay lost a lot in those shows, but I don't really remember.

He did, and that show was dumb. "I'm going to spend a few days having my team research and create a recipe to rival this person's and then show up unannounced to cook it on my terms somewhere other than their kitchen so they may have had to compromise on their usual recipe and methods."

I get that it was to show off people making good versions of interesting foods, but there's gotta be a way to do it without some dick's ego taking up the bulk of it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was going to be about 24 Hours To Hell And Back and how absolutely goddamn ridiculous that restaurant for dogs episode was. I couldn't stop laughing at how bad of an idea that place was.

That episode was quite possibly the most disgusting remodel Ramsay has EVER done.

Fucking weirdo's letting their dogs eat at the table right next to them.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Several people don't want to see their cultures food 'improved' upon by some white dude that has nothing to do with the culture. People are assuming the worst. I'm guilty of this too. Maybe he will remain true to the culture, but if I saw him fly in and 'improve' on arepas con carne I'd almost certainly be upset if it wasn't very true to the culture despite how good it might taste.

He's already done this and it is literally the opposite of what you're going on about - take a second to do some research and have a more informed opinion

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the responses in here are insane. Comparing him to Christopher Columbus? HOW?!

Concept sounds interesting and the GF have a guilty pleasure for any and all cooking shows. Hopefully this is good.

Yeah, lots of knee jerking with absolutely zero thought or even a cursory glance at reality. Hopefully there is no upper bound on the ignore list here..

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
It's an odd take since this sounds exactly like a Great Escape 2.0, and that worked out completely fine.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What is the Problem here? Because he's white he can't go learn about a cultures food and try cooking it himself?

Food is a universal thing and Gordon Ramsay is extremely respectful of the cultures he visits. He went to India and ate ant chutney and never insulted the people.

I'm Indian and I wouldn't do that shit.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
show the locals he can cook their cuisines better than they can

SereneZigzagDobermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif

But surely...

9gvzdk2jw7x01.gif

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Healthy dose of Orientalism if you ask me.

Dec 31, 2017
I have faith in Ramsay to do this properly. He's in an incredible chef and overall pretty sensible. I don't see this as "chefsplaining" at all at the moment.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
What is the Problem here? Because he's white he can't go learn about a cultures food and try cooking it himself?

Food is a universal thing and Gordon Ramsay is extremely respectful of the cultures he visits. He went to India and ate ant chutney and never insulted the people.

I'm Indian and I wouldn't do that shit.

Lol, same here... even my parents didn't know that was a thing.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

I think the point is to contrast the cultires a bit not declare a "winner". It's not like he's some random dude saying hold my beer and wrapping everything in bacon. He's a professional chef with a lot of working knowledge on food. Based off the Pad Thai video I think it will be good.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This attitude is fucking stupid lmao.

"This world star chef can't possibly learn to cook a dish from a different culture better than people from that culture because he didn't grow up with the dish!!1!1!!one!1"

"world star chef" is a show I'd like to see, except it would probably be filmed in portrait

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not the biggest Gordon Ramsey fan, I'll have to wait and see what this actually is before I can really say anything though.