• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Man, so many people in this thread are embarrassing themselves and showing some pretty damn racist behavior.

I'm looking forward to the show, these tend to be the best kinds of Ramsay shows.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

He made a living teaching people his profession with a short tempered, "I'll tell you how it really is" while yelling obscenities schtick. And people clearly think it's entertaining. Asshole though? Do you know the guy? I've watched lots of television so I know that person is a dbag!
I'm not even saying I agree, but his whole gimmick is being the "food" version of Simon Cowell and shitty on everyone while throwing a tantrum. He's totally different in the UK and the rest of the world, but he's turned his American persona into a caricature of himself and I don't think it's surprising to think that people would believe he would yell at locals by telling them their cooking is shit compared to his French training.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I thought this was going to be about 24 Hours To Hell And Back and how absolutely goddamn ridiculous that restaurant for dogs episode was. I couldn't stop laughing at how bad of an idea that place was.

I've only watched up to episode 3, which the story of that chef was sad as hell. I checked their website afterward though and their menu was apparently still the old menu, which seems to be the norm with his shows. They either go under a year or two later, or they revert back to their old menu/ways.

I'm not even saying I agree, but his whole gimmick is being the "food" version of Simon Cowell and shitty on everyone while throwing a tantrum. He's totally different in the UK and the rest of the world, but he's turned his American persona into a caricature of himself and I don't think it's surprising to think that people would believe he would yell at locals by telling them their cooking is shit compared to his French training.

He only yells at people in Hells Kitchen. All of his other American shows have him pretty calm and supportive. The only thing his American shows has that suck though are the heavy editing and he doesn't narrate himself.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Gordon Ramsay is definitely not one to go around and disrespect the differences the world has to offer. His passion for food is genuine if you look at his videos beyond Hells Kitchen. Also it's not like he has never traveled the world and done this before, you can youtube him being all over the world attempting to recreate culture specific food and get shit on by pro chefs from around the world in doing so and taking it in as critism. He respects chefs all around the world.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As has been said if it's like his Great Escapes shows it should be very good. I enjoy his British shows a lot but I honestly can't abide his american series', too over the top, loud and annoying and him playing an exaggerated version of himself.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I liked watching him, but after I read his comments on Brexit...yeah no mate.

Didn't he call it a disaster after the vote, and then reverted to a more optimistic 'it might be an opportunity' angle?

In terms of Brexit opinions, that's pretty bloody mild.

On the whole he comes across as a fairly stand up guy.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't he call it a disaster after the vote, and then reverted to a more optimistic 'it might be an opportunity' angle?

In terms of Brexit opinions, that's pretty bloody mild.

On the whole he comes across as a fairly stand up guy.
I don't know about the disaster part, but yeah he did say some stuff about it being an opportunity for the British.

Also criticized Oliver for involving himself in politics and said cooks shouldn't have anything to do with that or something like that.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Truly a horrible, horrible man!
Just because a third of the UK has gone insane I don't need to think of opinions like that as "well, it's not the worst possible one!" when it's literally wrecking the country and fucking over future generations. No thank you.

I don't hate him or anything, and that he apparently would have been for Remain as per his earlier comments is nice to hear, but that doesn't make the newer comments less absolute nonsense.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit the blurb sounds bad, but he's done this before and he definitely wasn't disrespectful. It's about comparing dishes rather than finding a winner, each dish can learn something from the other, that's how new recipes are created. The notion that traditional recipes can't be challenged is ridiculous, 99% of the world's dishes wouldn't be here right now

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
there's a show in German television, Kitchen Impossible, where two cooks challenge each other to fly around the world and try to copy a recipe from another cook without knowing the ingredients. A jury of local people rate their effort, but they don't directly compete with the cook of the restaurant/street stall whose recipe they try to recreate

seems a similar to this new show and is completely inoffensive

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's Gordon's Great Escape. If that's any indication of how this will go, then it's not him acting like he's better than the chefs in those countries. He very much tries to learn the recipes and respect the culture that he's in.
I wouldn't expect anything less from Gordon. While he comes off as a prick on his US shows, you can tell he is truly talented and cares about his craft. There is zero chance he goes into a foreign country and just takes over their shit. Tons of respect for this guy, and will watch this show.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Generalizations + Misrepresenting other members
If anything this thread was entertaining. No idea what it is about this specific website but always the same crowd complaining about white men.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Wasn't there a show like this before? It was an iron chef who went head to head with a diner/local hot spot to see if he could beat their take on the food and it was justed by patrons in a blind taste test.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I'll give Ramsay the benefit of the doubt and say that the show will be more like a learning experience than the what the press release says.

"Can Ramsay BEAT these locals AT THEIR OWN JOB?" is easier to market over "Watch Ramsay learn cooking from different cultures".

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Gordon's usually pretty chill when he's not trying to salvage some shitball restaurant. Will wait and see.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
He only yells at people in Hells Kitchen. All of his other American shows have him pretty calm and supportive. The only thing his American shows has that suck though are the heavy editing and he doesn't narrate himself.
Hotel Hell, Kitchen Nightmares... that new one, 24 Hours in Hell? They're all about yelling at slobs who are terrible at running restaurants/hotels. lol
Even on Masterchef he treats the contestants like shit half the time.

He was recently on Masterchef Australia and by comparison it was night and day. He was hugging people, laughing and smiling, and being very positive. But that doesn't sell to Americans, obviously.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see him being insensitive to other cultures. I've watched a lot of YouTube clips of him going to different places and he is always respectful of people. The eater article is just click bait shit. The US shows are when he's a dick.

The press release doesn't sound all that bad. I'll watch it

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Hotel Hell, Kitchen Nightmares... that new one, 24 Hours in Hell? They're all about yelling at slobs who are terrible at running restaurants/hotels. lol
Even on Masterchef he treats the contestants like shit half the time.

He was recently on Masterchef Australia and by comparison it was night and day. He was hugging people, laughing and smiling, and being very positive. But that doesn't sell to Americans, obviously.

Are you only watching clips? He does all those things in his American shows.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Man there's some hottest of the hot takes in here. Gordon seems to be a very respectable person who knows how to play to the audience but also be mindful about his attitude and demeanor. He's successful and not a prick. Who would thought a combo could be possible.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
question, does anyone here has kitchen experience and has seen him other shows. or are many of this just hot takes from the image from meme people have that all that Chef Ramsey does is yell at people for shit and giggles??

as a chef traveling and learning other culture cooking is a given (if you cant travel training in different kitchens does the trick). so from a top professional chef ultra successful chef perspective, going to different cultures and learn their culinary habits and techniques, and then challenge it and improve it, is a challenge and to be fair sounds like a fun thing to watch

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what the big deal is here, it's just a light-hearted competition that is going to bring a lot of attention to international chefs. Obviously Ramsay's dishes can never be more authentic than those crafted by local chefs, but that's not to say they won't be deemed tastier by what will presumably be a judging panel. With the competition format, it's going to be a lot more interesting than it otherwise would have been with him tediously visiting local cultures and learning their recipes.

As posted above, just check out his guest appearance on a Korean cooking show and see how much fun everyone involved had.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People seem unable to separate Ramsey the person from Ramsey the arsehole character who shouts at people. Marketing will play up Ramsey's cuntishness because it might get people who wouldn't watch a something like this to tune in. The fact that the word "imperialism" has been used unironically in a thread about a bloody cooking show is simply bewildering, the same concept has been done before by plenty of other TV chefs and the vast majority didn't gave a toss.

It's not like he's going to beat the locals into submission with a bag of fish and chips while screaming at them that they can't flambé for shit...

Resurgam

Jun 23, 2018
If people only know Ramsey from his loud purposely edited shows for Americans with the attention span of a hamster it's easy to get a bad impression. The UK version of Kitchen Nightmares is far more toned down. In fact, I'd advise anyone who hasn't seen it watch Season 2 Episode 3 'Momma Cherri's Soul Food Shack' as its one of the best episodes he's ever done.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
If you haven't seen his shark documentary.

He's definitely conscious of what goes on in other cultures.

Oct 25, 2017
The only twist between all those discovering foreign culture shows and this is that Ramsay is doing a competitive cooking thing at the end. How can anyone gets angry about it?