• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the premise straight from the press release

Each episode of UNCHARTED will include three key ingredients: unlocking a culture's culinary secrets through exploration and adventure with local food heroes, no matter where they may lead him; tracking down high-octane traditions, pastimes and customs that are specific to the region in hopes of discovering the undiscovered; and, finally, testing Ramsay against the locals, pitting his own interpretations of regional dishes against the tried-and-true classics. The series moves beyond conversation to truly immerse Ramsay in all aspects of the local culture to better prepare him for the final friendly cooking competition with local chefs and foodies.

Join Ramsay as he scales roofs of caves to harvest fresh nests in Malaysian Borneo and puts fear aside to hunt tarantulas in Cambodia. Ramsay will travel through cities and remote areas, experiencing local challenges underwater, across mountains and through the jungle, and explore each location's extraordinary cultures, to uncover what it really takes to obtain each special ingredient.

So can anyone explain what's so bad about it?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
He loves Indian food. Would be interesting to see what he can do with it.
When he cooked buries I with one chef, he praised the hell out of it. Said it's as complicated as anything else in a Michelin Star restaurant, Ramsay is super respectful and the eater article is BS.

His main goals on great escape was about learning new techniques and incorporating that into his cooking, than he show cases what he learned.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point is more for both Ramsey and the viewers to learn about more food cultures around the world while also seeing a master chef do his own spin on the dishes after learning about them rather than to prove that Ramsey can out do the locals. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the competition aspect was more introduced to make it more engaging for viewers rather than the original idea of the show

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm down. Affords an opportunity to see a softer, if not more humbled side of Ramsay that we don't see often in the States (and hopefully will stay that way since this won't be on FOX proper.)

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
Reminds me of one of those old martial arts flicks where a fighter travels to different dojos/kungfu schools and then proceeds to beat the master of said dojo/school to prove that their fighting style is the best.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This attitude is fucking stupid lmao.

"This world star chef can't possibly learn to cook a dish from a different culture better than people from that culture because he didn't grow up with the dish!!1!1!!one!1"
What is wrong with that opinion? You need to be a part of a culture to truly understand it. Gordon is not a part of these cultures.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Can't wait to see another mass-produced show from Gordon Ramsey with manufactured drama and editing, a terrible soundtrack that overlays every goddamn second, and each episode being filmed in less than 24 hours. We really need more of those types of shows from him!

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if they just skipped the competition part, this could actually be interesting

why would they put that in there

Because competitions are interesting and the fake nature of his shows means he'll lose most of the time which will highlight how good chefs can be all over the world and also make Ramsay seem humble

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I love learning about new kinds of food, and when Gordon isn't on something like Hell's Kitchen, he's a pretty sensitive respectful dude. I have every reason to believe this will be a good show.

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gordon Ramsay invents Fusion Cooking!

seriously though, I'm a fan, traditional ideas should be constantly challenged.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if they just skipped the competition part, this could actually be interesting

why would they put that in there
reading the press release, the competition seems like more of an afterthought that was probably added as a hook for the viewers since they might've been worried the average audience member would get bored if there was no test of skill at the end

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What is wrong with that opinion? You need to be a part of a culture to truly understand it. Gordon is not a part of these cultures.
This is nonsense, you can still appreciate and respect culture even if you're not a part of it.

Can't wait to see another mass-produced show from Gordon Ramsey with manufactured drama and editing, a terrible soundtrack that overlays every goddamn second, and each episode being filmed in less than 24 hours. We really need more of those types of shows from him!
Go watch Gordon's dream escape and Ramsay's kitchen nightmare and comeback to see Ramsay at his best.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

You don't need to be part of a culture to COOK FOOD.

Gordon, a world renowned professional chef, will cook a dish better than some random person after he learns how to cook the original, and then brings in his experience and knowledge.

More generally, as above poster pointed out, you don't need to be part of a culture to learn about it and appreciate it.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
LMAO I love these responses.
So when Gordon was cussing, screaming and verbally berating people in the kitchen he was cool, but if he thinks that he can make a better curry than an Indian chef he has gone too far!

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
History? He has similar older videos on his youtube channel and if those are anything to go by expect him to lose in every episode while praising the local cuisine.

Probably what most episodes will amount to. The competition brings the appeal, but it's ultimately the learning experience that is to be gained from these sort of things that count the most.

EDIT: I see others in this thread have basically regurgitated this point, so it would seem some of us understand what is going on.

Spoiler: You don't need to be Italian to be able to make good pasta, be Japanese to make good sushi or be American to make a good hamburger.

Shit, my white mom makes better Asian food than my Asian family.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It seems like it's one of Gordon's good shows (ie, the ones where he's actually being respectful and having fun) that someone in marketing tried to find a way to pitch to the "omg he's such a dick" portion of his fanbase.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
From an initial hot level, yeah, I get why people would be concerned. However, Ramsey has done this schtick before, and he never gives the cultures anything but his utmost respect. Assuming this is the same the outrage isn't justified.

Clickbait tweet, clickbait thread.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get why this could come off as colonial in spirit, but I don't think it'll be that way in practice. It's not like he's preying on some poor, defenseless local mother in some far off oriental land - he's going to be learning new cuisines and styles and engaging in what I assume will be good natured competition with local chefs.

I'm sure there's no shortage of people eager to be on TV and show off how good their local dish is, and how they're better than a world renowned chef at making it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Isn't including elements of one culture's food into another's the basis of fusion cuisine? That seems to be the premise of the "friendly cooking competition".

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017

You don't need to be part of the culture to make an interpretation of their dish and discuss its cultural roots. It's literally done thousands of times every single day, and rarely by one of the best chefs in the entire world. Best Tex-Mex in my area, made by a Chinese family. The bourbon chicken fucking rocks.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see what's so wrong with the show's premise. I mean, he can try whenever he wants to do a "better" version of a local food, it doesn't mean he'll succeed everytime or that he doesn't respect the traditional local food. I like Gordon so i'll probably watch, but please don't try to best our feijoada or you'll fail miserably...hehe