• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I mean I am black, but this is such a strange notification. Like what could have I logged into so that Reddit suddenly can make that recommendation to me? I've been slowly setting up my Galaxy S10 and for the past few days I've been getting the notification. I don't even use Twitter and it isn't installed. I can't recall going to the subreddit recently. Even then, it would only make sense if I was logged into Reddit and subscribed to it, but I'm not. Is Reddit using my front facing camera to make recommendations based on my appearance? This makes me nervous.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I have the Reddit app installed on my phone and it just seems to inform me of top posts or top subreddits. Think I've seen it come up a couple of times on mine. I'm white and not signed in either. Makes sense I guess, it's on the front page incredibly often.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I get notified of posts from r/all from anything that's trending. I turned that off pretty quick. That subreddit is on the front page all the time though so I'm not surprised.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Bpt is one of the most popular subs. I'm guessing that's it

Oct 29, 2017
The reddit app makes notifications about front page top posts.

They wouldn't have access to your camera since IIRC the Reddit app doesn't ask for camera permissions. Might be wrong though

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work

They wouldn't have access to your camera since IIRC the Reddit app doesn't ask for camera permissions. Might be wrong though
Shouldn't be touching the camera at all based on permissions. Stock Android pretty good about this too, so I'd say this is accurate.
n7MgMFk_d.jpg

OP
OP

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Okay, trending stuff I'm cool with. The thing is that I had the app installed on my old phone and don't recall seeing anything from BlackPeopleTwitter specifically. Anyway as long as they aren't invading my privacy I'm good.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
the camera on your device isn't allowed to take a picture, but it is allowed to "notice" that the user is....darker than normal.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
BPT is one of the biggest subs, it's almost always on the front page.

Not sure why you're getting notifs though. There should be a setting to switch them off.

Zoyo

alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I see nothing wrong with this. We all could learn more from it.

Oct 25, 2017
Does android sync chrome notifications? Maybe you accidentally agreed to notifications on chrome and it synced to your phone?