• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone.

I got an iPhone 8 Plus a couple of months ago. I've always been very careful about how I handle my electronics and stuff in general but precisely because of that I've never put a film on any of my iPhone screens (simply made sure I never put them in a bag with keys or anything).

Anyway, on my wedding day I had to entrust it to someone cause the photograph wouldn't have me keeping that thing in my pockets - and it came back with the screen full of scratches, most barely noticeable but two of them big enough to be really distracting.

I've just looked up Apple.com for repairs but since I don't have Apple Care + I'm looking at 200 bucks, which is way to steep for a somehow minor annoyance...
And since I didn't apply for Apple Care + back then I can't enter anymore right?

Do you guys have any advice?
I think I read something about films that made the screen underneath look better or something.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You just stop caring. It's a device meant to be used, not babied.

But you never lend that guy any electronics ever again.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you could try a tempered glass on top, will probably hide the scratches. My S9 plus I've gone through 3 screen protectors already though so I've just stopped putting them on. Just going to live with some minor scratches.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tempered glass protector should do the trick. I gave up a long time ago caring about scratches on my phones cuz it was too stressful.

OP
OP
Jubern

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Put a screen-protector on it now, should hide minor scracthes.

Yeah you could try a tempered glass on top, will probably hide the scratches. My S9 plus I've gone through 3 screen protectors already though so I've just stopped putting them on. Just going to live with some minor scratches.

Any recommandations?

Also I'm in Japan where people are super touchy about the appearance of their stuff no way I can sell a scratched iPhone and lose less than it'd cost me to just take it to the store.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pretty deep gash on my 8 Plus. Put toothpaste or baking soda+water on a cotton swab and buff it out. It won't disappear, but it'll be soft enough that it no longer looks black.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a scratched body of an iPhone 8 fixed? it's on the side just above the mute rocker switch.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You baby your electronics yet you don't get the one warranty that is actually good for it.

I've done AppleCare+ since my iPhone 5 and my god, the amount of random incidental damage that's out of your control it's incredibly worth it.

Take it as a life lesson.

OP
OP
Jubern

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
This. Also hooray for free phone upgrades every 12 months, never use a device long enough to get scratches.
Yeah well, in Japan mobile phone companies are absolutely gouging people up and I just had to sign up for a very pricey two year plan for this... please understand not every country has the same advantages.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I legit don't know how people get noticeable scratches on newer phones. That glass is so durable. I've gone the last 3 years without any kind of screen protector and only ever gotten little micro scratches that aren't visible unless you're really looking for them.

I'm thinking of going caseless next update, because covering up my phone in a case makes it look so bad.

OP
OP
Jubern

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I legit don't know how people get noticeable scratches on newer phones. That glass is so durable. I've gone the last 3 years without any kind of screen protector and only ever gotten little micro scratches that aren't visible unless you're really looking for them.
My opinion exactly until this happened. I don't understand how this could happen over the course of a few hours...

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Acceptance".

Before you know it the phone will be old and you will definitely not care about a few hairline scratches on it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
iPhones scratch quick as shit. I babied the fuck out of my iPhone 6+. Got a case the next day. Super tiny scratch. So small it couldn't be seen unless at the right angle w/ light on it. But it'll scratch. Same with every work iPhone I've had. I personally prefer a spigen slim fit case for dat grip and glass screen protector. If done right there shouldn't be any bubbles.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommandations?

Also I'm in Japan where people are super touchy about the appearance of their stuff no way I can sell a scratched iPhone and lose less than it'd cost me to just take it to the store.

Go to an Apple-store and get one of the Belkin-protectors and have them apply it for you. They have a special device to clean the phone and apply the protector perfectly.