• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
IGN did a Q+A with WB Montreal, devs of the upcoming Gotham Knights, and answered a few questions, clearing up some confusion and providing insight to how their game operates in this new franchise.

www.ign.com

Gotham Knights: Our Biggest Questions, Answered - IGN

We spoke to WB Games Montreal to answer some our biggest questions after the Gotham Knights reveal - and got a lot of answers.

New Screens thanks to Geldboom
GothamKnights_Reveal_RedHoodGotham_Screenshot.png

GothamKnights_Reveal_Coop_Screenshot.png

I really like how colorful Gotham looks, in general I like how Knights is more colorful then the Arkham series.

Quick Summary:

• Freeflow seemingly gone in favor of something more akin to traditional third person action games
  • Options for variations in melee, ranged and stealth types
  • Stamina bar (bottom left purple bar from gameplay vid) for specials attacks. Ties into ability tree and gear
  • Open world fully available from the jump
  • No level gating whatsoever
  • Enemy levels vary based on types of missions
  • Missions can be approached from different ways, stealth or straight action
  • Suits are customizable, but there will also be full skins
  • Game is fully single player with optional 2 player co-op
  • You can have two of the same character in co-op
  • NOT a GAAS
  • Multiple villains with their own branching storylines
  • Takes place over multiple nights, but daytime is limited to the Belfry (base of operations)
  • Room for growth within the game's universe. Possibly hinting at more stories coming in the future.
EDIT: I changed the last line to more reflect what the actual question was. It probably still means the same thing though.

EDIT 2: For people who keep wondering what the new combat system looks like, they gave a fairly great example of it in the gameplay demo.

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
  • Game is fully single player with optional 2 player co-op
  • NOT a GAAS
Very important. Good to hear.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Coop freeflow would have been something. Seeing two people just fly around a room beating goons up would probably look super finicky but funny nonetheless.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Still worried about how cinematic moments will work when it's built for co-op in mind, but most of what's on that list sounds damn good. I hope the bosses are better than the little we've seen so far, though.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Also, not quite sure why all the freeflow hate. I thought the system was solid to begin with but getting the Brutality 101 trophy in Arkham Knight really opened my eyes to how deep the system was.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Ehh i dont like having two of the same characters for coop...small nitpick i know

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving pretty much everything they're saying. Branching storylines in particular sounds dope.

It's been awhile since WB's last big wave of games. Nice to have some to look forward to.

Oct 26, 2017
Also, not quite sure why all the freeflow hate. I thought the system was solid to begin with but getting the Brutality 101 trophy in Arkham Knight really opened my eyes to how deep the system was.

Rocksteady failed to add a single interesting thing to the system in three entries. There's just so little you can do to add to it. All of the enemy types they added to make people do things other than counter are just soooo awful and unpleasant to fight.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady failed to add a single interesting thing to the system in three entries. There's just so little you can do to add to it. All of the enemy types they added to make people do things other than counter are just soooo awful and unpleasant to fight.
Now it just looks like a different version of AC odyssey combat so I'm not sure this really an improvement. I dread the possibility that a stealth takedown might not even completely takeout an enemy if their hp is too high

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
lol everyone has a different definition of GaaS. I assume what they mean here is it won't have things like seasons, mtx and designed for multiplayer first.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think freeflow was getting old but the little I saw of the new stuff I wasn't impressed. I'll reserve judgement until more footage comes out.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they have to say "not GaaS" so that gamers don't froth at the mouth with anger even though GaaS is not inherently bad.

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
I'd argue that the quick fire gadgets mechanic introduced in City was a fantastic addition.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If there's no level gating then why even have levels outside of "woo numbers go up make brain go happy"

Oct 26, 2017
Now it just looks like a different version of AC odyssey combat so I'm not sure this really an improvement. I dread the possibility that a stealth takedown might not even completely takeout an enemy if their hp is too high

I mean, this looks kind of generic, but freeflow was such a dead end. All the new enemy types just added nothing interesting.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
From what they said in the actual article, I don't think that'll be an issue. They say you can tackle any mission no matter what level, it just might change your approach to something more stealthy. That makes it seem like stealth is a complete takeout no matter what.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
We need to seriously define GaaS (Games as a Service).

I always took it as games akin to MMOs with a persistent online aspect like a Destiny or the upcoming Avengers game.

When they say there may be more stories in the future I take that as DLC content which I don't consider a service just more content like previous Arkham games or The Witcher 3 dlc packs.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Freeflow was perfect for a batman game. It gave a very comic-booky style of heroic fighting. Hitbox style poking with attacks like Assassin Creed Odyssey doesn't feel very super-heroic

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany