• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will be the turning point of the generation where 60fps is largely abandoned for single player games.
After this backlash??

50cent-car.gif

Sep 6, 2022
2 years in. People are starting to expect a 60fps option like standard
The Life is Strange: True Color devs said the exact same things as these guys.
Then like a week or two later they "somehow" flipped the magic switch and got the game to run at 60fps 🤣

I guess I will revisit this game soon when they drop the announcement that the "impossible" performance mode suddenly became possible.

camjwils

Oct 28, 2017
Certainly can't imagine paying $70 for this now. 60 FPS has to be of paramount importance for devs going forward

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This game originally had a X1/PS4 version right?
Yup. Wish we could see those versions, if they can only get 30fps on PS5 and XS I can only imagine what a shit show it would have been on 9 year old consoles.
I wonder what the minimum specs are for the PC version to run at 60fps. Ain't no way a game looking like this can't run at 60fps on a lower resolution.

View: https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1581082101491040258?t=4X0xxBlUkNt7UpKEEUkFPA&s=19

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I always try to give developers the benefit of the doubt but I just don't buy their reasoning. Perhaps it's true in a "we didn't have enough time to implement it" fashion but on its own? That doesn't hold up at all.

And to have this be announced a week before release? Very bad look.

I wonder if this will be the turning point of the generation where 60fps is largely abandoned for single player games.

Absolutely not. Gotham Knights is definitely not representative of a "turning point of the generation." I guarantee you that Suicide Squad will have a 60fps option.

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
don't forget guys, you can't play at 60 due to it being difficult to run for the consoles

but you can at 1080p/60 albeit with Low settings on a 1660ti

not sure which of those 2 I believe honestly

I just wish there was some sort of really intensive graphic setting that they could turn off or something and see how it runs then

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
don't forget guys, you can't play at 60 due to it being difficult to run for the consoles

but you can at 1080p/60 albeit with Low settings on a 1660ti

not sure which of those 2 I believe honestly

I just wish there was some sort of really intensive graphic setting that they could turn off or something and see how it runs then

Oh I'm sure they could adjust the graphical settings on the console versions to hit 60fps (even if it means dumping RT). It just seems like they don't want to.

Sep 6, 2022
Wait, HOLD UP.

They said it is because of stuff like "Un-tethered" co-op play?

HOW THE HELL DOES THAT AFFECT ME IF I AM PLAYING SOLO?!!??!?!?!

Someone please explain this to me.

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
Oh I'm sure they could adjust the graphical settings on the console versions to hit 60fps (even if it means dumping RT). It just seems like they don't want to.
I'm not going to claim to know what the fuck I'm talking and I'm sure they've probably tried it but man I'm just disappointed

especially since they say due to untethered coop it's not possible but like I'm going to be paying by myself so....?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... I thought that last poll about 30fps only was just for jokes.

Sadly no, they were being noticeably cagey about whether there was a performance mode, and a preview of what the settings looked like for the game on consoles didn't seem to indicate that there was one, so people put 2 and 2 together and figured there likely wasn't one. And now as of today, that was officially confirmed a mere week before launch. :3

Jan 19, 2022
I thought we were past this shit.
Give us performance and quality mode. It can't be that hard to lower the preset resolution so we can play it at 60 fps.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Well, here's the game that people keep asking for a true next gen game that utilized the full power of the console and give that visual jump feeling. No crossgen bullshit.

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
How tf is this game so CPU bound? I could get something with a lot of simulation like GTA VI or Starfield, but this?
also ps5 cpu is better than a 3600, you're likely looking at comparable to a 3700 for the ps5 which has an extra 2c/4t, albeit some are reserved for OS etc

but it should be fine running at 60fps especially since it's optimized specifically for that part.

its not like PC where it could be any number of parts, you know exactly what you need to be drawing as much power as possible from

Well, here's the game that people keep asking for a true next gen game that utilized the full power of the console and give that visual jump feeling. No crossgen bullshit.

the reason people are confused is because it doesn't look like a visual jump, hence why many expected it to have a 60fps mode

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This is pretty weak. Modern game coming out on PS5 and XSX should have appropriate performance modes with res scaling. This screams not enough budget to me.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lol
The reactions of people in this thread…is just 30fps, is not like the game is broken

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
People are going to have a reality check very soon about the next gen consoles. The 1440P 60 fps mode of the Last of Us remake had 4x af at most

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Not an expert by any means, but what effect would untethered co-op have on frame rate if there isn't split screen and co-op is online only?

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
huh. I never even considered this a possibility for some reason, just assumed it would follow the model of every other game that's released in the past 2 years. I certainly didn't expect this game of all games to break that mold, considering it already doesn't look great. Honestly I was already going to skip it because, well, everything... but this just makes me want to... extra skip it.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
People are going to have a reality check very soon about the next gen consoles. The 1440P 60 fps mode of the Last of Us remake had 4x af at most
For sure. I'm sure the next next gen only new Naughty Dog title will push visuals and go for 30. The writing was on the wall after the Matrix demo.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol
The reactions of people in this thread…is just 30fps, is not like the game is broken

It's a $70 game that doesn't look nearly good enough to justify only having a 30 fps option. And that this is coming out after the announcement of the old gen versions getting canned is just kinda hilarious

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I'm trying to move away from consoles by the end of the year--but with this news, definitely no rush to try this out, even if it does get patched.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Wish they had options for a performance mode.

The Saints Row reboot was really good for this.

Dec 2, 2020
PC version it is, should be good too.

"Not as simple as lowering resolution for higher framerates"

Watch people with the PC version show this to be utter PR nonsense in order to push Ray Tracing on console. Hopefully like one of the only other console games to target 30fps with RT (Watch Dogs Legion) there will be a performance mode patched in later.

They should just be real and say "a performance mode requires more time to optimise so it will take longer". Most sane people wouldn't have an issue with that.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
How tf is this game so CPU bound? I could get something with a lot of simulation like GTA VI or Starfield, but this?
The only thing I can think of is their drop in/drop out coop really is rendering all objects and enemies in an area on both systems EVEN IF THEY ARENT in the same part of the city. That's it. That's my explanation.

It's bullshit, I know.

Fwiw, gtav does not have as much interactivity in it's open world. In coop mode missions it does, but you'll probably notice a lack of pedestrians and cars (especially outside the mission area) in coop missions online. This is probably why. A sacrifice was made there. And if you leave the mission area? We all know what happens "return to the mission area" right?

Exploding barrels, shots fired, traffic. Pedestrians (non-hostile), enemies, etc... It can wear out a CPU. It's hard to have all of those calculations going off at multiples around the city. So they often make all coop players stick to the same area in GTA online coop. Even if you can leave the area, there isn't much to see. This is not the case in Gotham knights so I hear. Something had to give, and the frame rate is what they chose to give up.

My two cents anyways *shrugs*.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
the reason people are confused is because it doesn't look like a visual jump, hence why many expected it to have a 60fps mode
It's probably because of the native 4k with ray tracing, maybe they'll fix it with a patch, but going forward people should expect the 30fps as the norm if they want aaa games with mind blowing graphics.