• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's pretty damn inflammatory as far as I'm concerned.

If you are standing by that then yeah you're definitely not back-pedalling.

Just maybe don't get so defensive in the future when people want to discuss games you like in ways that clearly make you uncomfortable and threads won't be derailed in the future.
I never even answered to anyone in these threads. I'm not even a big fan of Horizon. It's a good game, but certainly nothing groundbreaking other than the pretty awesome combat for an Action-Adventure game with some RPG elements.

But entering this thread and seeing again people indirectly criticising it, whereas this is a thread to appreciate what an amazing gaming year we had...no, I certainly don't regret being "oversensitive" to this.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry. My first post in this thread came off as more warrior-y than I intended. Let's not get out the brass knuckles over which of these 5 excellent games is most excellent.

Too late to take it back now I guess tho, so...

giphy.gif
Then I'm sorry too. I really though it should be clear why Horizon has more reader awards, but I will gladly say it then:
Because Switch-owners obviously chose BOTW over SMO.
Horizon is the second most awarded game (critic-wise) and it was the best game on the PS4 (well debatable, but critics obviously think alike).
That's it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope people keep their expectations in check for Cyberpunk.

Sure, it's made by CDPR, but it's their first foray into that genre and world.
Exactly , I was with CDPR since W1, so I am fine with whatever they do and if the shooting is bad or overall gameplay part is iffy as long as atmosphere and writing is there I am there too.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Somebody needs to do an updated version of that picture of 2b, Link and p5 guy in suits with Aloy and Mario

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I don't own Switch so can't comment on that.

But for me Horizon goes toe-to-toe with Bloodborne as the best game on PS4. It oozes quality, has fantastic gameplay, and never felt a slog. Two games I can go back to and play for purely for the enjoyment.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are irked by Horizon:Zero Dawn being second. For those who didn't play Zelda (which believe it or not is still the majority of gamers) it was one of the best open-world action-adventure games of the year, with the added polish of a big push from a first party and a new IP from a developer who has previously released FPS games; I'd say that's at least a tad impressive. All 5 games on the list deserve the recognition they have received. Attaining a GoTY award from any outlet at all is an impressive feat and shows that all of these games are worthy of taking the time to play. So congrats to all of them.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm, I do not think so. W3 is actually more flawed than the other GOTY winners.
Do not trigger me...TW3 is the game I was obsessed to trash back then. :D

While I always can acknowledge the parts it did very well, like the amazing sidequests, dialogues and presentation I never can look past the obvious flaws. Especially the combat was just a mess coming from Bloodborne...it's really not a fair comparison (and I always knew that), but man, it just sucks.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Can we just appreciate how Horizon, a new IP with a female protagonist with no pew pew, managed to grab 48 GOTY more than Mario Odyssey juggernaut. Seriously I am so proud of this game.
Horizon still has pluck plucks that lead to boom booms.

Female lead is one thing but comeback when Farming stimulator is 3rd place among gotys.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017

While I always can acknowledge the parts it did very well, like the amazing sidequests, dialogues and presentation I never can look past the obvious flaws. Especially the combat was just a mess coming from Bloodborne...it's really not a fair comparison (and I always knew that), but man, it just sucks.

im with ya man, i want to feel like a badass in combat not a ballet dancer. if they can add a nice sense of weight and have great combat in the next installment watch the fuck out.

OT: gratz to zelda, big surprise to no one heh. a brilliant title thats flaws rub heavier on me than others, but i totally get it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Lol, I mean personally it is my favorite game out of all GOTY winners, I was just saying other games are more well rounded and has less questionable rough parts. And BB was good no doubt, but I prefer Nioh combat over BB

Jan 10, 2018
BotW winning easily was obvious from well before GOTY season even began.

The real surprise is second place, didn't expect Horizon to outdo Mario, and by almost double.

Zelda probably ate into Mario, with a bunch of Nintendo outlets having to decide between the two.

Surprised BotW didn't overthrow Witcher 3 considering its rated higher and it it revolutionized the genre (I have been told)

Less outlets, single plattform vs multi. I assume you are "surprised".

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Congrats to Big N and Aonuma team!
Also kudos to Guerrilla Games in their first time making a non FPS game, after releasing the not well received KZ SF and with so many people doubting their skill to make a OW/wRPG seeing them among - even if it was in a lower position - so many good games is amazing!
What a great year 2017 was!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
So much for it being a tie between Mario and Zelda like people were hyping it up to be.

Congrats to Ninty nonetheless.

Jan 10, 2018
I do not even know how should I interpret this?

There are outlets which only cover Nintendo games, so called Nintendo outlets. They give awards only to games available on Nintendo plattforms.

There are outlets which only cover Playstation games, so called Playstation outlets. They give awards only to games available on Sony plattforms.

There are outlets which only cover Xbox games, so called Xbox outlets. They give awards only to games available on Xbox plattforms.

If a game releases on a Nintendo plattform only, it can only win awards from Nintendo and multiplattform outlets.

If a game releases on a Xbox and a Playstation plattform, it can win awards from Xbox, Playstation and multiplattform outlets.

3 is more than 2.

I hope this clears things up.

Edit:

Oh yeah, forgot the PC version.

4 is more than 2.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow Horizon well done, my GOTY by far, 2nd place for me Zelda.

2 of the greatest games I've ever played

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Can we just appreciate how Horizon, a new IP with a female protagonist with no pew pew, managed to grab 48 GOTY more than Mario Odyssey juggernaut. Seriously I am so proud of this game.
It's a first party game from one of Sony's most established and experienced studios backed by a huge marketing campaign from said company, so it was always going to do well and get great reviews. I'm not sure why people still act like it was the first game from some plucky, young, inexperienced underdog studio or something.

Not sure what the "no pew pew" thing is about when games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, Mordor and Dragon Age didn't have any either yet they won plenty of GOTY awards.

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is still mostly the same demograpic of critics who showered TW3 with awards. This + HZD being the big PS exclusive made it all but impossible that it wouldn't get some recognition. GOTY works different than Metacritic.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is still mostly the same demograpic of critics who showered TW3 with awards. This + HZD being the big PS exclusive made it all but impossible that it wouldn't get some recognition. GOTY works different than Metacritic.
and the same people who gave zelda awards , or TLOU, or Uncharted. It all the same people .

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
You say this as if the opinions of smaller sites are irrelevant. When hundreds of awards are being compiled, not every one is going to come from a big site, but that's no reason to dismiss these counts.

My point is: it's better to be considered goty by Game Awards, Edge, Famitsu and Ign/gamespot than having 100 goty by small sites.
No doubts about it

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a first party game from one of Sony's most established and experienced studios backed by a huge marketing campaign from said company, so it was always going to do well and get great reviews. I'm not sure why people still act like it was the first game from some plucky, young, inexperienced underdog studio or something.

Not sure what the "no pew pew" thing is about when games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, Mordor and Dragon Age didn't have any either yet they won plenty of GOTY awards.

Yes because Killzone Shadow Fall did so well critically and in terms of GOTY awards...

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes because Killzone Shadow Fall did so well critically and in terms of GOTY awards...
Killzone 2 and 3 did good tho critical reception and sales wise .It's not like guerilla games are some indie devs scraping for their projects to lift off . They are first party sony developers.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Killzone 2 and 3 did good tho critical reception and sales wise .It's not like guerilla games are some indie devs scraping for their projects to lift off . They are first party sony developers.

Killzone 2 was very well received, Killzone 3 less so but still decent, but Shadow Fall however was poorly recieved as was Killzone 1.

Whilst I had faith Horizon would be a great game, I remember countless people were highly skeptical or thought the game would end up being a turd. Point is, being first party along with having a big marketing budget doesn't automatically mean your game is going to be well recieved or critically acclaimed, far from it. Killzone Shadow Fall being a prime example.

jbluzb

Jan 7, 2018
looking at the rpg list... oh wow, persona 5 got the most votes :P such recognition for a niche game, HYPE for persona dancing all night!

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't disprove my point.

Yes it does.

Killzone Shadow Fall is also "a first party game from one of Sony's most established and experienced studios backed by a huge marketing campaign from said company" and didn't "get great reviews", so no, these metrics don't mean said game "was always going to do well and get great reviews".

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does.

Killzone Shadow Fall is also "a first party game from one of Sony's most established and experienced studios backed by a huge marketing campaign from said company" and didn't "get great reviews", so no, these metrics don't mean said game "was always going to do well and get great reviews".
If you choose to ignore their other games then ok we'll agree to disagree.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. BOTW is one of the best game of this generation.

Holy shit at TLOU winning against GTA V and of course BB was robbed.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When your point is to say that big marketing budgets, some former success and experience ensures critical success for their newest game, then you're definitely wrong.

Maybe this is how you feel seeing a Sony game with many awards every year, but that's just because they develop good SP games. That's all that matters, there is no guarantee for critical acclaim.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you choose to ignore their other games then ok we'll agree to disagree.

You specifically said "was always", in other words that being first party or having a big marketing budget guaranteed such positive critical reception, however that is flat out factually wrong.

Shadow Fall, Killzone 1 etc are examples that show that despite these metrics of yours being apparent, critical success isn't actually "always" the case at all.

I'd have agreed if you said there was a good chance it was going to be well recieved, but honestly it could have also gone the other way.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly 4 times more than Horizon. Impressive!!

This year was great for me. I loved Zelda, Mario and Persona. Horizon looks awesome too, it's time to give it a try. Same with Nier, I need to play this one too.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Your point assumes a correlation between marketing and reviews, which by itself is questionable/dangerous enough. Bigger games have fallen under the media's hammer during these last months, some of them released by Sony no less. By the time we start seeing exceptions to that suggested pattern, it loses all its value.

Then there's the studio's issue. Guerrilla Games is not an indie couple working from their garage, but it's neither Naughty Dog. They're a large developer with a middling history behind and their share of poorly received titles. The appreciation for this success (if we may call it so) does not come from humble beginnings, but reinvention against the adversity. They treaded unknown waters at a time where a failure could have meant being axed and in return they brought their best work.

It's fair to recognize they'never been close to this level, until now.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Still genuinely shocked at how little awards, relatively, Odyssey won.

The most joy-filled gaming experience I've had in years.

Pleasure to play from start to finish.