• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John_Leeson

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Surprises:
Horizon in second place. I found it a really shallow rpg under certain aspects. AC Origins was no masterpiece but had more depth than that.
Shallow or not, the gameplay in Horizon is a lot more consistent and enjoyable than in AC Origins, and in my opinion gameplay is a lot more important than depth in RPG mechanics. Quality over quantity, any day for me.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
There are outlets which only cover Nintendo games, so called Nintendo outlets. They give awards only to games available on Nintendo plattforms.

There are outlets which only cover Playstation games, so called Playstation outlets. They give awards only to games available on Sony plattforms.

There are outlets which only cover Xbox games, so called Xbox outlets. They give awards only to games available on Xbox plattforms.

If a game releases on a Nintendo plattform only, it can only win awards from Nintendo and multiplattform outlets.

If a game releases on a Xbox and a Playstation plattform, it can win awards from Xbox, Playstation and multiplattform outlets.

3 is more than 2.

I hope this clears things up.

Edit:

Oh yeah, forgot the PC version.

4 is more than 2.

Those outlets aren't counted. These are All-Format GOTY Awards Only.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shallow or not, the gameplay in Horizon is a lot more consistent and enjoyable than in AC Origins, and in my opinion gameplay is a lot more important than depth in RPG mechanics. Quality over quantity, any day for me.
hmmmmm, me personally I liked bow combat in AC origins a lot more than HZD. I just felt it had that oomph when you nail the head shot and see dudes whole health bard disappear . It just felt more satisfying

John_Leeson

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
hmmmmm, me personally I liked bow combat in AC origins a lot more than HZD. I just felt it had that oomph when you nail the head shot and see dudes whole health bard disappear . It just felt more satisfying

Seriously? I had that same "ooomph" with multiple things in HZD. For example, when i'm hitting specific parts of the machines while they were moving, or shooting an elemental arrow in the elemental tube in the machine and waiting it to explode. Yeah, i played both games, and didn't find anything remotely "oomph" like that in AC Origins, but both games are fun though.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this counts so many little blogs and youtube channels that you might as well count every random forum user's opinion. Still impressive for Zelda.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously? I had that same "ooomph" with multiple things in HZD. For example, when i'm hitting specific parts of the machines while they were moving, or shooting an elemental arrow in the elemental tube in the machine and waiting it to explode. Yeah, i played both games, and didn't find anything remotely "oomph" like that in AC Origins, but both games are fun though.
I might see that when talking about machines , sure . But fighting humans and clearing out camps felt pretty mediocre

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at the number of awards counted in each year - it couldn't possibly win more. It won a higher percentage of them than TLOU though, which is more impressive.

Last of Us went up against GTA V though, one of the most critically acclaimed, well recieved, highest selling and frankly best games of all time. Horizon, Persona etc might be great games or franchises, but they're no GTA.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us went up against GTA V though, one of the most critically acclaimed, well recieved, highest selling and frankly best games of all time. Horizon, Persona etc might be great games or franchises, but they're no GTA.

BotW faced off against Odyssey.

Ultimately, the winners of 2013 and 2017 had very stiff competition.

John_Leeson

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I might see that when talking about machines , sure . But fighting humans and clearing out camps felt pretty mediocre

Well, luckily enough, humans are not that important in HZD, while it's the main kind of enemy you will find in AC Origins, and in my opinion, both games handled them pretty mediocrely, when you focus only in the bow combat, at least. There is nothing worse than have an enemy pursuing you with an arrow in his forehead.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, luckily enough, humans are not that important in HZD, while it's the main kind of enemy you will find in AC Origins, and in my opinion, both are handled pretty mediocrely, when you focus only in the bow combat, at least. There is nothing worse than have an enemy pursuing you with an arrow in his forehead.
I guess that's where we disagree.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad it fell behind Witcher 3 in terms of percentage. It had a big advantage for a while. It's my GOAT, and I think it will be remembered as a highly influential game in 10 years.

Looking at the awards, it does seem like it had a harder time winning in places where PS4 is completely dominant. I mean, yeah, they only count multi-platform awards, and yeah, PS4 is winning everywhere, but those foreign, particularly European and Latin American sites seemed to award GOTY to Zelda at a lower rate than the US and Canada.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow zelda didn't come close to touching TLoU or Witcher 3's total. I guess I'm glad since I think W3 was a much more memorable game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Too bad it fell behind Witcher 3 in terms of percentage. It had a big advantage for a while. It's my GOAT, and I think it will be remembered as a highly influential game in 10 years.

Looking at the awards, it does seem like it had a harder time winning in places where PS4 is completely dominant. I mean, yeah, they only count multi-platform awards, and yeah, PS4 is winning everywhere, but those foreign, particularly European and Latin American sites seemed to award GOTY to Zelda at a lower rate than the US and Canada.
Only by 1% tho, both games can be seen as best as best in their particular sub genres

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, there was quite a drop off in the number of awards from 2016 to 2017 but, at the very least, Zelda took a huge chunk of them. Pretty impressive and nice to see my own GOTY walk away with the most wins for once :P

Wow zelda didn't come close to touching TLoU or Witcher 3's total. I guess I'm glad since I think W3 was a much more memorable game.
More to do with there being less awards last year than anything else. Percentage wise, it's very close to The Witcher 3

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i don't know if it will be influential..the ubisoft formula seems to have a firm grasp on the open world genre..and the kind of open choice gameplay that botw champions also needs a LOT of playtesting and development time to be nailed..something that i don't think most of the other software houses are willing to do.

and it's a shame, especially since open choices were basically what open world was invented for and what it became famous for...it was mind blowing for a gamer when in games like gta3 you were able to use creative solutions like parking a truck in front of a wall and climb on it to go over said wall,but then it quickly mutated in what we have now as a template, an endless map full of icons and a series of isolated activities you drive from and to,with nothing much that innovated in terms of open gameplay.

there were some games like red fation guerrilla and its destructible environments that tried to shake the genre,but they lacked the polish.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda: 134 critic awards, 45 reader
Horizon: 24 critic awards, 24 reader
Mario: 23 critic awards, 2 reader
Nier: 10 critic awards, 2 reader
Persona: 8 critic awards, 2 reader

Why are Horizon's reader awards so disproportionately high?

Edit: this came off as more warriory than I intended. Didn't mean to start a thing. 4/5 of these games made my GOTY list (only Mario didn't, because I didn't play it). Sorry!

Because it's a great open world game in its own right?

Because Horizon is more even and consistent in quality than Zelda, despite not having a 3 decade franchise name behind it?

Nier was my personal GotY for 2017 but Horizon was number 2, and I own/played BotW. HZD had a higher quality throughout even if it wasn't terribly innovative; lower highs than Zelda but higher lows, if that makes sense. IMO it didn't earn enough Game of the Year honors. It's underrated. A shame, really.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the fact that sites X, Y, and Z weren't counted this year, but were in Witcher's year, really shows how much better of a game it is than Zelda, which couldn't even will enough awards into existence.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, there was quite a drop off in the number of awards from 2016 to 2017 but, at the very least, Zelda took a huge chunk of them. Pretty impressive and nice to see my own GOTY walk away with the most wins for once :P

More to do with there being less awards last year than anything else. Percentage wise, it's very close to The Witcher 3
TLOU was against GTA V which won 160 awards though. Anyway i don't see the point of these comparison. Almost all GOTY are amazing games and each year is a different story.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Horizon being #2 it had so much stacked against it even now. So glad 2017 is finally over and we can focus on quality for goty again.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah it's hard to forget how bad it plays...
Seriously now, there's little point in discuss which game winned more GOTYs or even the percentage, because every year has different competition.
The real metric is how influential will this games become during the next years.

I'm a "gameplay-first" kind of gamer, and it was long since the last time my personal GOTY is also the most voted by the critics, so I'm kind of happy that a game that's focused on gameplay instead of story and graphics can be still well recieved as the greatest of the year in 2017.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
biggest win since Witcher 3

whew

well deserved. in a year as amazing as 2017 that BotW was the clear front runner is a hell of an accomplishment, especially since these GotY picks came well after the game released so it's not like the launch hype was coloring people's opinions. crazy stuff.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised that the Zelda and Mario split is so lopsided towards Zelda. I'm also surprised that Horizon beat Mario.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda lost its percentage share compared to Witcher 3 because of all the outlets from smaller countries voting for Horizon. A PS4 game is played the world over, especially in south east Asia and latin America. Nintendo doesn't have a strong presence there. So you can blame Nintendo for the slightly less impressive percentage.

edit: You guys need to try a bit harder with the "oh wow it didn't come close to TLOU".

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU was against GTA V which won 160 awards though. Anyway i don't see the point of these comparison. Almost all GOTY are amazing games and each year is a different story.
And BOTW had the likes of Mario, Horizon, Nier, Persona, etc. Smaller games but still critically acclaimed and games that had some pull

True, true, but I was only pointing out that that would have been more difficult since there are less GOTY awards, like by a lot. It doesn't invalidate the acclaim that any of the games got, it just can't be a one to one comparison

Congrats to Horizon being #2 it had so much stacked against it even now. So glad 2017 is finally over and we can focus on quality for goty again.
Oh don't worry, a Western game is guaranteed to win GOTY this year, like pretty much every year

It honestly probably would've if there were the same amount given out.

It has a higher percentage
Higher than the TLOU but not The Witcher 3. It'd beat out the former but the latter is less likely

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many more will get put in

Hope it can pass 200

Sucks that not enough were put in so it could set the new record :/

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many more will get put in

Hope it can pass 200

Sucks that not enough were put in so it could set the new record :/
They've slowed down a lot so I don't see that happening, as nice as that'd be. There just seems to less awards for last year. I'm guessing YouTubers and other influencers made it hard for smaller game sites to compete

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this is quite impressive for a game that's nearing the 12th month of it's honeymoon phase! ;)

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why is it so important for Zelda to win over tlou and witcher?

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why is it so important for Zelda to win over tlou and witcher?

Every time Zelda wins an award, or someone praises it, it gives my life meaning. If enough people give it awards so that it surpasses some other game, then basically I reach nirvana.

Oct 26, 2017
Every time Zelda wins an award, or someone praises it, it gives my life meaning. If enough people give it awards so that it surpasses some other game, then basically I reach nirvana.
You seem pretty bent out of shape that people like Zelda or want it to win more awards. Might wanna step away from the keyboard for a bit