• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017

YOU'RE WINNER

Also I own the Sinoalice soundtrack that shit is great also.
Edit: can't believe I passed up the post about Riviera: The Promised Land. Just seeing the name overwhelmed me nostalgia feels.

If popularity of the game and soundtrack quality were inversely proportional, the pick I'd have to go with is Venus & Braves. JP only ps2 tactical RPG, can't get more obscure than that.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Stellaris has the best sci-fi soundtrack I've ever heard. Anyone who likes stuff like the music in Mass Effect should definitely give it a shot.

Cradle of the Galaxy is my favorite I think.

Or Synthetic God if you veer more towards the synthy stuff

Matheulbeuk

Dec 16, 2018
Yep. Ever since Nier Gestalt I have been obsessed with this man's music (alongside other Nier composers/collaborators)

If you haven't, listen to Shadowlord from Nier Gestalt. IMHO my favorite song of his. The way it builds up to the battle theme gives me goosebumps.

Oh , i know and love the nier 1/ automata soundtrack, but dont know why, i never look for other work from the composer. Thanks again.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Matheulbeuk

Dec 16, 2018
Stellaris has the best sci-fi soundtrack I've ever heard. Anyone who likes stuff like the music in Mass Effect should definitely give it a shot.

Cradle of the Galaxy is my favorite I think.

Or Synthetic God if you veer more towards the synthy stuff

Cant really disagree with you, but did you listen to the Endless Space 2 soundtrack ? Some track are really on the same level, maybe even better.

Oct 25, 2017
There are three of us who played Blue Reflection.
I haven't played Blue Reflection, but I've listened to the OST almost every other week for nearly a year and a half. It's amazing. It's also absurd because quite a few songs have incomprehensible titles, like this one:

KOSUICHINOKAKUSURANAKIKU.EXE
*chef kiss*, beautiful!

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I liked Blue Reflection the game pretty good too, bad pacing and framerate on ps4 be damned.

I liked how snarky, depressed, fed up with everything the main character is.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Cant really disagree with you, but did you listen to the Endless Space 2 soundtrack ? Some track are really on the same level, maybe even better.

Some, yeah. I agree all the Endless games tend to have great music. I think there's maybe something about me that just like's Stellaris more that the tone of its music fits better. So much of it is this glorious exploring space discovering the universe stuff that fits perfectly with the games strengths.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Katamari Damacy and its subsequent sequel, We Love Katamari.

It's a weird game and that would be an understatement. There is no genre that could define what it is. Despite all the weirdness, Katamari Damacy is a very simple game that its core is very Japanese. All you need to do is to roll everything, literally everything, in a level to become a big lump of something as you started very small before launching and turning that lump into a star. Like I said weird is an understatement and perhaps your really need to get high on weeds to enjoy Katamari to the fullest.

And then there's the music. Some, if not many Kamatari Damacy's OST are trippy as hell. It sounds like you some one made it after they sniffed some opium or high on LSD or something. Rather fitting musics for its absurd gameplay and story. Just listen to the main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

The main theme itself for me is one of those that still managed to pass from not become too trippy as it somewhat listenable. One would expect all of the music will be similar right? No, because there is other side of Katamari Damacy OST. The other side of Katamari Damacy OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xVTE-2eik

A Crimson Rose and A Gin Tonic is still a rather trippy sounding but it have many catchy tunes and nice melodies. You could listen to it all day outside the game. Of course it doesn't end there.

It follows the same pattern; very good and catchy melody accompanied by a rather weird vocal. However Katamaritaino are much more refined and its composition more rock solid. It have some serious jazz vibe to it. Do you think Kamatari Damacy OST couldn't get better than this?

Introducing you Que Sera Sera or where the music going full jazz. There isn't any weird sounding instrument being used. The vocal on the other hand is in full English, with perfect sounding accent as if the singer himself, that is Charlie Kosei, is Frank Sinatra reborn. The lyrics coupled with the melody make this particular soundstrack not only sounds like out of some jazz album that could be played during a wedding. To think something so cheesy and romantic existed in a game about lumping everything into a ball is unthinkable (but perhaps not if you take account of romantic motif that you could found everywhere). Que Sera Sera personally is the first game best piece in the first game.

How about the sequel? It have fewer tracks, and among those the trippy sounding pieces are a lot more in proportion to the more 'normal' one. But those who are not made while being high on weeds have some serious quality that match, if not surpassed, the pieces from the first game. Just listen to the main theme.

Katamari On the Swing for me is the better main theme for me. It is more upbeat, have faster rhythm whilst not forgetting the game's playful motif and undertone. Playfulness in fact, I think is more prevalent in the second game as the previous one is more leaned towards romantic. That aside, Katamari On the Swing is the type of music that you'll play in the morning to get yourself instant mood booster and set yourself up for the rest of the day. It's amazing.

It is not the best though.

Disco*Prince takes that crown. It in fact surpasses everything including from the first game, at least for me. Unlike some of the best tracks in Kamatari that usually sounds like Jazz, Disco*Prince like the title hinted is more funk. There is even rap in the vocal. But goddamn the composition is just that good. The build up towards the peak refrain is amazing. It managed to be so playful and romantic at the same time with a wrap of admiration, capturing the essence of Katamari series in its entirety.

This one track in particular that makes me still somewhat refuse to believe that pure genius soundtrack found in a weird series. What does an absurd game about rolling, lumping, and (turning them into) a start have anything to do with absolutely good sets of soundtrack? But perhaps that in itself is the answer. Perhaps Keita Takahashi, the director of the first and second game knows that the game itself is too simple. So he made it into a relaxing experience where the player playing it could and should listen to the music behind.

I know someone already mention Katamari before, but I want to get this out of my chest regardless. I changed the first two music into link since there could only 4 media in a post and I wanted to left out the very best. Do you know the twist? I haven't even played the game! But I do know about it for a long time though I never come around to play it. Now that there is a rerelease on the Switch, perhaps the time have come for me at last.

OP
OP
megaStryke

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California

Oh my God, I was just thinking about Midnight Resistance the other day! It's been roughly 20 years since my brother and I discovered it in the arcade corner of a motel. We managed to get to the final level because the control panel was loose, thus we were able to pop it off and collect the quarters in the coin tray. Infinite lives, baby!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
An underrated game with an underrated soundtrack. Resonance of Fate is just as awesome like its soundtrack.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Jade Empire and Remember Me have already been named. So I'm going with what I think is one of the most underrated games of all time in every aspect.

Onimusha Dawn of Dreams has a great soundtrack.

I hate that people forget this game exists. It's a great entry in the series that tried a lot of new things.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
220px-Defender_of_the_Future.jpg

Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future

A prog-infused, chill soundtrack of synthesizer greatness from legend Tim Follin. It probably has one of the greatest and yet totally unknown main themes in gaming, full stop. At least, one of my favorites.

Credits/Main Theme:

Passage from Genesis:

Hanging Waters:

Aquamarine Bay:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MYSTICAL NINJA STARRING GOEMON for N64!!!!

Seriously one of the most underrated game OSTs of all time!

And the GOAT:

And thanks to Konami the chances of seeing this game rereleased in any way are zero (let alone a new game). The only legal way of playing this game in 2019 is with an N64 cart.

Nasigil

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void has a surprisingly good soundtrack. I haven't played the game for years but still listen to the soundtrack from time to time.

ferrismatic

Oct 29, 2017
I love threads like these, so many diverse tracks many from games I haven't played before.

Allow me to throw a few more logs on the fire:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Risk of Rain.

Risk of Rain.

Risk of Rain.

Risk of Rain.

@35 secs I thought to myself "are you fucking joking?"

Basically every single track is at least this good, and some are even better. The music is fucking love.

Last edited:

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Captain Tsubasa 2 (Tecmo, NES, 1990) has what I consider to be a GOAT-tier soundtrack. It is my favorite game of all time, a notch above The Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 1/2.
I was able to thank the main composer, Keiji Yamagishi, for this masterpieces.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mars: War Logs by Sylvain Prunier
-I have not actually played the game but its main theme was included in the studios' follow-up title Technomancer (whose own original soundtrack was unfortunately quite underwhelming) and I totally fell in love with it. So good!

WET by various artists
-This is a surprisingly good game that nobody talks about and its soundtrack is really fun! Loads of quirky, freaky rock/metal tracks (don't really know my music genres so if I miscategorised them here, do correct me :p). This is one of my favourites:

Heavenly Sword by Nitin Sawhney
-Not exactly an unknown game but I would say that it's definitely rarely-discussed these days and I've always felt that its soundtrack didn't get enough credit. Unfortunately, it never got an official release so all we have are low-quality rips of the dynamic in-game compositions posted to YouTube.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness by Peter Connelly and Martin Iveson
-Again, a game most people probably know about but it's often dismissed due its reputation of being irredeemably terrible rubbish preceding it which is unfortunate because there are a lot of things Angel of Darkness does incredibly well and its soundtrack is one of those things.

I also agree with the previous mention of Remember Me. Such a good soundtrack!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
YOU'RE WINNER

Also I own the Sinoalice soundtrack that shit is great also.
Edit: can't believe I passed up the post about Riviera: The Promised Land. Just seeing the name overwhelmed me nostalgia feels.

If popularity of the game and soundtrack quality were inversely proportional, the pick I'd have to go with is Venus & Braves. JP only ps2 tactical RPG, can't get more obscure than that.

The game remains #1 for my "WHY DID WE NEVER GET IT *cries*" list.

Love the OST. :(

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first Persona has one of the GOAT OSTs and it's a tragedy that it was gutted in the PSP port.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
People thought DOOM had the best soundtrack of 2016 and they were wrong. Close, but still wrong.

Not that I don't think Rust, Dust, & Guts and BFG Division aren't amazing tracks, but Solar Fields actually managed to one-up the soundtrack for the original Mirror's Edge, and that's a feat in and of itself.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
MYSTICAL NINJA STARRING GOEMON for N64!!!!

Seriously one of the most underrated game OSTs of all time!

And thanks to Konami the chances of seeing this game rereleased in any way are zero (let alone a new game). The only legal way of playing this game in 2019 is with an N64 cart.

Literally the four songs I'd have picked from what is my all-time favorite game: Tosa, Yamato, Bamboo Forest, and Goe Goe Spark. Gourmet Submarine Castle is a close runner-up.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Tearaway and Horizon ZD.

While certainly given attention, Cuphead's soundtrack is still underrated, largely in part due to jazz illiteracy. It's a masterclass in jazz composition.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Here's one for a game I never played, but a song that I've been listening to off and on since I was young.
The main theme to Thunderhawk 2: Firestorm for PSX and Saturn, written by Martin Iveson.

For some reason the uploader left a bunch of silence at the end, the track is just under 6 minutes.

Give it a go if you want a 90s sounding electronic track with a lot of distorted guitar over it. It doesn't loop, they just keep jamming.
The whole soundtrack is good, but that theme is just rocking.

On the topic of 90s and rocking, let us also listen to Fighting Vipers (Saturn version) and its awesome rock soundtrack by David Leytze.

That better be the right link, I can't check right now.

Both the arcade and Saturn soundtracks were by the same composer, he just re-arranged and extended the songs for the Saturn version. It makes the arcade versions sound like early rough demos.

Both of these, plus the Sega Rally soundtrack for the Saturn, were what initially pushed me into pursuing guitar as a teenager.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I have waited all my life for a thread like this, to share with you one of the best Genesis OSTs ever.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin.

I know what you're thinking, yes Batman has a cool theme and everything, but if you only played this on SNES, you missed out. That soundtrack? It's good. It's fine. But on the Genesis? Jesper Kyd (Borderlands, Assassin's Creed, etc.) decided to toss out all the familiar music you knew and start from scratch. I think it's a wild understatement to say his new direction for the OST fits the dark, gritty streets of Gotham absolutely perfectly.

It's hard to pick just a few to represent the entire OST, it really is something you should experience in its entirety, but here we go:

Here's the main theme. Yes, it is almost ten minutes long. No, it doesn't loop.

Here's one of the stage themes.

Here's the boss theme from an autoscroller level.

Here's the final boss theme.

I implore you to listen to this absolutely bangin' OST.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the four songs I'd have picked from what is my all-time favorite game: Tosa, Yamato, Bamboo Forest, and Goe Goe Spark. Gourmet Submarine Castle is a close runner-up.
Oh my God I swear the fifth song I would've linked was Gourmet Submarine Castle but I thought 5 was too many in one post. That food-themed dungeon is also my favorite place/level/area of the whole game. So inventive and original. The fact that this game came several months BEFORE Ocarina of Time make it all the more incredible.

If I ever meet a developer who worked on that game I'll hug them and never let go.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Katamari Damacy and its subsequent sequel, We Love Katamari.

It's a weird game and that would be an understatement. There is no genre that could define what it is. Despite all the weirdness, Katamari Damacy is a very simple game that its core is very Japanese. All you need to do is to roll everything, literally everything, in a level to become a big lump of something as you started very small before launching and turning that lump into a star. Like I said weird is an understatement and perhaps your really need to get high on weeds to enjoy Katamari to the fullest.

And then there's the music. Some, if not many Kamatari Damacy's OST are trippy as hell. It sounds like you some one made it after they sniffed some opium or high on LSD or something. Rather fitting musics for its absurd gameplay and story. Just listen to the main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

The main theme itself for me is one of those that still managed to pass from not become too trippy as it somewhat listenable. One would expect all of the music will be similar right? No, because there is other side of Katamari Damacy OST. The other side of Katamari Damacy OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xVTE-2eik

A Crimson Rose and A Gin Tonic is still a rather trippy sounding but it have many catchy tunes and nice melodies. You could listen to it all day outside the game. Of course it doesn't end there.

It follows the same pattern; very good and catchy melody accompanied by a rather weird vocal. However Katamaritaino are much more refined and its composition more rock solid. It have some serious jazz vibe to it. Do you think Kamatari Damacy OST couldn't get better than this?

Introducing you Que Sera Sera or where the music going full jazz. There isn't any weird sounding instrument being used. The vocal on the other hand is in full English, with perfect sounding accent as if the singer himself, that is Charlie Kosei, is Frank Sinatra reborn. The lyrics coupled with the melody make this particular soundstrack not only sounds like out of some jazz album that could be played during a wedding. To think something so cheesy and romantic existed in a game about lumping everything into a ball is unthinkable (but perhaps not if you take account of romantic motif that you could found everywhere). Que Sera Sera personally is the first game best piece in the first game.

How about the sequel? It have fewer tracks, and among those the trippy sounding pieces are a lot more in proportion to the more 'normal' one. But those who are not made while being high on weeds have some serious quality that match, if not surpassed, the pieces from the first game. Just listen to the main theme.

Katamari On the Swing for me is the better main theme for me. It is more upbeat, have faster rhythm whilst not forgetting the game's playful motif and undertone. Playfulness in fact, I think is more prevalent in the second game as the previous one is more leaned towards romantic. That aside, Katamari On the Swing is the type of music that you'll play in the morning to get yourself instant mood booster and set yourself up for the rest of the day. It's amazing.

It is not the best though.

Disco*Prince takes that crown. It in fact surpasses everything including from the first game, at least for me. Unlike some of the best tracks in Kamatari that usually sounds like Jazz, Disco*Prince like the title hinted is more funk. There is even rap in the vocal. But goddamn the composition is just that good. The build up towards the peak refrain is amazing. It managed to be so playful and romantic at the same time with a wrap of admiration, capturing the essence of Katamari series in its entirety.

This one track in particular that makes me still somewhat refuse to believe that pure genius soundtrack found in a weird series. What does an absurd game about rolling, lumping, and (turning them into) a start have anything to do with absolutely good sets of soundtrack? But perhaps that in itself is the answer. Perhaps Keita Takahashi, the director of the first and second game knows that the game itself is too simple. So he made it into a relaxing experience where the player playing it could and should listen to the music behind.

I know someone already mention Katamari before, but I want to get this out of my chest regardless. I changed the first two music into link since there could only 4 media in a post and I wanted to left out the very best. Do you know the twist? I haven't even played the game! But I do know about it for a long time though I never come around to play it. Now that there is a rerelease on the Switch, perhaps the time have come for me at last.

Great post. I totally agree with you on DiscoxPrince which is just a fantastic song. And you should play the game, it's a lot of fun. :D I'm hoping Bamco ports We Love Katamari to Switch too.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I love threads like these, so many diverse tracks many from games I haven't played before.

Allow me to throw a few more logs on the fire:

Hell yeah! Can't get less taked about than dead multiplayer games that had no right to have as good of a soundtrack.

This one is from Ragnarok. It's not my favorite song from the game, but it's the most distinguishable. Has 1 million views on youtube, so you know it was a big deal back in the day.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
So does Human Revolution and Mankind Divided count? Because while the games get talked about quite a bit, their soundtracks themselves never seem to get much play, and Michael McCann isn't a name I commonly see come up in "best game composer" type threads.