• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People thought DOOM had the best soundtrack of 2016 and they were wrong. Close, but still wrong.

Not that I don't think Rust, Dust, & Guts and BFG Division aren't amazing tracks, but Solar Fields actually managed to one-up the soundtrack for the original Mirror's Edge, and that's a feat in and of itself.

Holy crap!
This whole OST goes on my list to listen it all later, thx!

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nier has the best soundtrack I've heard in anything. I didn't think it qualified but if it does, by the gods, it's amazing. It has a track called Gods Bound By Rules. That's all I'll say.

I'm surprised someone else knows about Alien Shooter. It's a fun game.

I have another game or two to offer, though. The first is The House In Fata Morgana. It's the best visual novel no one's ever played, and especially the soundtrack deserves more praise.

It can be a bop...

It can be heartwarming...

It can be moody...

It's just a beautiful, wonderful, harrowing, gripping, maddening, unforgettable game, and more people need to play it. I'd post more soundtracks, but discovering it as you go along is the best thing about it.

The second is Umineko. Umineko's excellence can't be fit into one post, mostly because there's more than 200 tracks in the game by my count.

But have one excellent song anyway:

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
CrossCode. Here's hoping the game gets more attention when it's released on Switch.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The second is Umineko. Umineko's excellence can't be fit into one post, mostly because there's more than 200 tracks in the game by my count.
Continuing on.

Umineko has the most comforting song I've ever listened to:

And some of the most intense:

And perhaps the most somber:

And the most atmospheric:

It's difficult to convey. But I've perhaps never seen a game with a soundtrack as fitting and as perfect as Umineko- except NieR games.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Megadimension Neptunia VII

The soundtrack is far better than you'd ever expect.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Farpoint was big for a little while when it came out, isn't mentioned much anymore, but the OST was really great for sci fi.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ripple Runner Deluxe is an indie jam game with an absolutely kickass soundtrack from DDRKirby:

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Swing a cat (so to speak) around games, and you're bound to hit a great soundtrack. However, the two games soundtracks that I will always recommend are Enemy Zero and Opoona. Enemy Zero features stripped down chamber music composed by Michael Nyman. And I just love Opoona's mix of bouncy techno with some acoustic instrumentation:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God I swear the fifth song I would've linked was Gourmet Submarine Castle but I thought 5 was too many in one post. That food-themed dungeon is also my favorite place/level/area of the whole game. So inventive and original. The fact that this game came several months BEFORE Ocarina of Time make it all the more incredible.

If I ever meet a developer who worked on that game I'll hug them and never let go.

Gourmet Submarine Castle is a Top Ten Zelda Dungeon, hands down. The creativity on display in that place was unlike anything seen on the N64, and the lighting, BY GOD THE LIGHTING. This game was Konami firing on all cylinders and it makes me sad that we'll never see anything quite like it ever again.

Holy crap!
This whole OST goes on my list to listen it all later, thx!

The game is worth playing just to feel the synergy between movement, visuals, and music. The open world is inconsistent on its own, with some linear one-way traversal loops mixed in with some truly inspired playgrounds, but the music adds a thick layer of bliss to the proceedings that makes it worth it most of the time, especially once you reach Anchor District and The View.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Ever since I played that game many years ago, I always liked the Skullmonkeys soundtrack very much.

The song "The Lil' Bonus Room" which, as its name implies, plays inside bonus rooms is so funny!

"There are no monsters here hey wait what's over there..."

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Tribes 2 had a fantastic soundtrack. One of the best FPS soundtracks of all time, easily. Especially for a multiplayer game. You really felt pumped playing these. It's kind of weird now how music in a FPS multiplayer game is not really a thing anymore.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this game, but have the imported soundtrack on vinyl
I haven't thought about this game in years! Forgot how good the music was. The game itself I remember being ok, nothing special but yeah the soundtrack was great.

I haven't played Blue Reflection, but I've listened to the OST almost every other week for nearly a year and a half. It's amazing. It's also absurd because quite a few songs have incomprehensible titles, like this one:

KOSUICHINOKAKUSURANAKIKU.EXE
*chef kiss*, beautiful!

the music is ok, can't say I love it. I absolutely adore the artwork though even if the game itself holds no interest to me.

Last edited:

HOSKINGJ

Jan 5, 2018
Florence on iOS , without a shadow of a doubt. It's made by the team behind Monument Valley.

It's only one of the greatest soundtracks of the year, it's one of my favourite of all time. Music is seamlessly woven into the actual gameplay, amazing design.

Oct 30, 2017
Civilization: Beyond Earth is often treated as 'that Civ game we don't talk about' but the music is outstanding, especially in the Rising Tide expansion.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I have no desire to play the Drakengard games due to how archaic and janky they are in the gameplay department but goddamn if there was a reason it would have to be for the music first than the story.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
Assassin's Creed has always had great music, but the Freedom Cry DLC had what is still one of my favorite scores in any medium. Oliviere Deriviere is criminally underrated and hasn't but gotten anywhere near the attention he deserves for his music.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Remember Miitopia? That quirky light RPG released back in 2017 on the 3DS?

What if I told you that a game starring Miis has one of the dopest-ass soundtracks of recent memory?

I almost can't believe this music is from a Mii game, it has no right being this GOOD.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Can't post links at the moment but my p

Interstate 76: retro funk at its finest.

Total annihilation: probably in my top five osts ever.

Frequency: the game that put harmonix on the map, and a ps2 must play.

Gravity rush series: sort of a French jazz sound, instantly catchy and iconic.

Lunar silver star: quite a few catchy songs throughout, including some voiced ones, a rarity for that day.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Let It Die and The Order: 1886 come first to mind.

The former features ambient tracks made by Akira Yamaoka, and over 100 Japanese bands.

https://www.letitdiethegame.com/music.html
Known for the Silent Hill series, Shadows of the Damned, and many other widely celebrated video games, Akira Yamaoka was the first to deliver a total horror game experience through disturbing tunes and unearthly sounds. Having worked as the Executive Producer and composer of the Silent Hill live action film, his later works expanded outside the gaming world, such as Japan major TV drama "The Rules of a Great Detective" and other various projects.

"It's been such a great honor to work on the soundtrack for LET IT DIE. LET IT DIE provides a one-of-a-kind musical experience that challenges the interactive collaboration of video games and music. The soundtrack is compromised of many of today's preeminent Japanese musicians from a wide variety of genres that I believe we are making history with."

- Akira Yamaoka

Full List of Bands
  • 1000say
  • a DROP of JOKER
  • Accidentally Encounter
  • Ailiph Doepa
  • AJYSYTZ
  • ALL FOUND BRIGHT LIGHTS
  • ALL OFF
  • ALPHASE
  • ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
  • 天野月
  • Ao
  • ARCHAIC RAG STORE
  • アルカラ
  • asobius
  • Aural Vampire
  • AXIS
  • BACK LIFT
  • BEFORE MY LIFE FAILS
  • BO-PEEP
  • BugTheMic
  • 千聖
  • Crsis Slave
  • DABIDE'S fire
  • DESECRAVITY
  • EARLY CROSS
  • EDO
  • ENTH
  • erika
  • EVERLONG
  • FLIP
  • FOAD
  • FROZEN CAKE BAR
  • GARI
  • ゴードマウンテン

• GYZE
  • HEXVOID
  • ハウリングアンプリファー
  • ino. [from ENTHRALLS]
  • JinnyOops!
  • Jon Underdown & Akira Yamaoka
  • カミナリグモ
  • 彼女in the display
  • カラスは真っ白
  • キバオブアキバ
  • 小南泰葉
  • LAST DAY DREAM
  • LASTING CALL
  • LOKA
  • LORAN
  • LUCCI
  • MAGIC FEELING
  • MISTY
  • MOP of HEAD
  • Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
  • my way my love
  • NO LEAF CLOVER
  • 野佐怜奈とブルーヴァレンタインズ
  • NOTHING TO DECLARE
  • nothingman
  • 音速ライン
  • OUTRAGE
  • PAN
  • ピアノゾンビ
  • POT
  • Qaijff
  • QOOLAND
  • qujaku

• Rhycol.
  • RIS
  • RIZING 2 END
  • ROACH
  • ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D
  • 最終少女ひかさ
  • シムオブリガーダ
  • SilberStyle
  • SOSO BREAK THE WALL
  • SuiseiNoboAz
  • Survive Said the Prophet
  • 四星球
  • たんこぶちん
  • TENBI
  • The cold tommy
  • THE GAME SHOP
  • THE JETZE JOHNSON
  • The Sound's Pierrer
  • the twenties
  • THIS MORNING DAY
  • トライアンパサンディ
  • TOTALFAT
  • xx
  • uchuu,
  • universe
  • Upset Heroes!
  • Vanity Sicks
  • VELTPUNCH
  • voodoobutterfly
  • Vorchaos
  • 惑星アブノーマル
  • winnie
  • World Of the WORLD.

As for the latter, I love its dark and melancholic tone.

EDIT:

Good to see there's someone else who also appreciates it.