• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
So its a lump(s) that forms in the joints? I've never fathomed what exactly gout is.
Little tiny crystals form in your joints. Like tiny needles that inflame your joints. Any joint it wants. So fun. That one seems especially bad and it looks like the crystals maybe got completely stuck in the foot and needed surgery. I've never had to get surgery.

I think gout is like kidney stones but for your joints. Glad I've never had them. They might be even worse than gout.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. At least for me
As someone who does that every other year (dont ask) surely it is annoying and painful and I dont intend to down play gout but there are many things from my experience that are more painful than the broken or sprained ankle (I'd suggest to put contusion (near joints) to your list too, as they are usually more painful as either of the first) there.

Bursted appendix, meningitis, allodynia (nasty, they had to give me so much painkiller i was in a coma like state for 1 1/2 week), on rare occassions I even have days were I suffer from migraine attacks that are worse (thanks to preventive medication it became better).

It sucks when your medical condition forces you to give up your lifestyle. Life breaks apart. Eventually, you will figure out a way to deal with it. But in the first moments you go through stages of grief.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
DIapFdPUEAA_QFt.jpg
url
Aris?

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not only have I experienced it, I have to take allopurinol

but then I have stage 4 CKD as a result of Alport syndrome, so

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
A cracked rib was the worst for me. You feel it with every breath and it is nightmarishly hard to fall asleep. Can't really set a rib either, so you just have to suffer through it until it heals. And almost every movement you can make disturbs your ribs, you just don't really notice it until there's a shooting pain alerting you.

Hope your gout gets better OP.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who does that every other year (dont ask) surely it is annoying and painful and I dont intend to down play gout but there are many things from my experience that are more painful than the broken or sprained ankle (I'd suggest to put contusion (near joints) to your list too, as they are usually more painful as either of the first) there.

Bursted appendix, meningitis, allodynia (nasty, they had to give me so much painkiller i was in a coma like state for 1 1/2 week), on rare occassions I even have days were I suffer from migraine attacks that are worse (thanks to preventive medication it became better).

It sucks when your medical condition forces you to give up your lifestyle. Life breaks apart. Eventually, you will figure out a way to deal with it. But in the first moments you go through stages of grief.
I'm sure there are worse things, but a really bad attack is like you're sprainin the joint every time you walk and sometimes even when you are just resting it. That's the most accurate description of the pain but it still doesn't describe it fully. Today it made me literally cry and then laugh because of how bad it was.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are worse things, but a really bad attack is like you're sprainin the joint every time you walk and sometimes even when you are just resting it. That's the most accurate description of the pain but it still doesn't describe it fully. Today it made me literally cry and then laugh because of how bad it was.
I understood what was meant by the description before already. But thank you. :)

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, not even breaking a leg or having my ear cut hurt so bad. It feels like there's ground up glass shards n your joints. Even a sheet or feather landing on the inflammed area will cause a great deal of pain. It is extremely debilitating and I hope none of you ever have to experience it.

In addition to diet and lifestyle changes, there is prescribed medication like Allopurinol to help prevent future occurrences. If you don't have good health care, I would recommend getting Black Cherry Extract pills like https://www.amazon.com/Puritans-Pride-Black-Cherry-Count/dp/B004R63PW8?th=1

Black Cherry is one of the few natural cures/remedies. I will take a few pills every week or so to keep the uric acid levels in my system flushed as low as possible. Haven't had an attack in several years after changing my diet / exercise / taking black cherry pills.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
been there many times. It's the worst pain I've gone through lol. Usually I can tolerate the pain but the last time I got it was incredibly painful. Actually had to see a doctor who prescribed me anti inflammatory meds and some ultra. yo that ultram is magic!

I've been dealing with Planters Fasciatis the last 6 months. It started out just hurting when I first got out of bed but now it's to the point I can barely walk on my left foot 24/7

have had this too..curiously both of them have occurred only in my right foot. I'm stubborn tho and kept playing basketball while i had PF. I didn't realize it was that; i just thought I was getting foot pain. Eventually bought different basketball shoes with better cushioning. Felt good the first few times up and down the court. Drove to the pain, euro stepped off of my right foot and felt a massive pop on my foot. I knew something was up so I immediately went to the bench limping slightly. Sat down for 30 minutes before deciding to go home. Could barely put weight on it. I had to have my buddy act as a crutch. Next 7 days I couldn't put weight on it at all. Didn't really fully recover for about 2 months.

Last edited:

Deleted member 412

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have chronic gout since I was 12, and yeah, the pain, when in movement, is excruciating. Allopurinol have kept in check though, and I've only got like 3 "attacks" in the last ten years. I've only gotten it in my big toes, but it's kinda managable if you simply don't move around (admittedly easier said than done, especially since it requires cognitive effort not to move the toes reflexively). Much worse, in my opinion, are pains that are constant no matter what you do—even if the pain itself is less acute—like migraine or abdominal pain. You can't concentrate on anything but the pain, and time kinda melts into one long fever dream.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Fellow gout sufferer here, you have my sympathy OP.

Had a few attacks (ankle) before I knew what was going on.

Had a really bad one, which ended up with my being in a&e having a needle stuck in my ankle to drain it (they thought it was septic arthritis) which then gave me my diagnosis. That was shit.

Pretty much know what causes it though, so lifestyle changes have helped, still get 2/3 a year though.
Last one I got was stupid... As part of my lifestyle change I've taken up running... Did some crazy event up a mountain that took me almost 9 hours and 2 days later I could hardly walk... Was gout, caused by dehydration... So not only can I get it from being "bad" (drinking) I can also get it from being good (exercise)

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
You literally have chunks of jagged crystals that have formed inside your joints. Which means as you move, your tissue is being shredded from the inside. It's more like having microscopic razor blades embedded inside you.
That's what happens when you break bones as well, isn't it?

Oct 26, 2017
I suspected gout a few years ago as I had excruciating pains mostly in my feet but also in other joints. Turned out it was vasculitis, which is quite rare but it was treatable for me. Haven't had anything near that level of pain since. But I can definitely understand the kind of torment it can be.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Perhaps you can check amazon for a very tiny, low-power-draw fridge (there are usb-driven ones, for example).

For storing a portion of your medicine in, and having it more accessible near your bed, if it happens again. Depending on your bed design, it could probably be hidden and very discrete, if that's a concern.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps you can check amazon for a very tiny, low-power-draw fridge (there are usb-driven ones, for example).

For storing a portion of your medicine in, and having it more accessible near your bed, if it happens again. Depending on your bed design, it could probably be hidden and very discrete, if that's a concern.
Great idea. I think I'll look into that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I had a sudden onset of acute gout awhile back thanks to my inability to properly feed myself (I ate leftover chili all weekend) combined with my dumbass drinking beer all weekend. I ended up dehydrated with my uric acid levels off the charts. It hit me in my right ankle and it was the worst pain I had ever felt in my life. I cried like a baby when I had to do just simple things like put my shoes on or go to the bathroom. It took 5 days to go a way and it was 5 days in hell. Like having a broken ankle that you refuse to see the doctor about is the closest comparison I can think of. That or maybe a fucking icepick being jammed into your ankle everytime you take a step.

Never again. If I drink I drink at least 6-8 times as much water as I do alcohol and I never EVER eat red meat on back to back days anymore.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I just got over my first attack in BOTH feet. Left big toe joint and right ankle. Never again. It feels so nice to be able to walk again. Going to ask my doctor about alluprinol.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Goddamn, reading some more of the responses here, my gout is nothing compared to some of you guys' (hopefully it stays that way, or better yet go away completely pls)

I've always gotten shit from others for not drinking enough water, stay hydrated y'all

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The only way I got rid of my chronic gout was weight loss and cutting sugars and carbs. And yes, it's the worst pain imaginable OP. I've broken my coller bone, my hand, and my ankle and the pain with those was a fucking delight comparatively speaking.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
If you are in Japan you can get zero purine beer, Asahi off. Great for gout sufferers wanting a beer. I used to get it when I lived there, but not available in Australia.

index_img_001.jpg

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had it maybe six or seven years ago in one of my feet. While it's incredibly painful, I suffer from cluster headaches, so I've had (and continue to have) worse.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I used to get it in the foot(painful) and in the knee(very painful). Luckily lost some weight and reduced alcohol consumption and I don't get it anymore.

Nov 1, 2017
So its a lump(s) that forms in the joints? I've never fathomed what exactly gout is.

Here's the condensed version:

Everyone's body naturally forms uric acid as a byproduct of metabolism. Usually it gets excreted in your urine--hence "uric acid"--with no problems. In a person prone to gout, though, the body either produces too much uric acid or doesn't get rid of it fast enough, and it'll occasionally crystallize out of the blood and settle, usually in a joint in one of the extremities. (Usually the big toe, but I personally have had it in my hand once or twice.) Suddenly you've got a joint full of these spiky little fuckers:

Fluorescent_uric_acid.JPG

Your immune system really doesn't like that, and then you get the inflammatory response that involves all the pain and swelling and redness and so on. Now, it'll eventually go away on its own after around a week, as I learned when I first had it without medical insurance (and what a fun time that was), but there are drugs you can take during an attack to reduce the severity.

The oldest (used for over 2000 years), most powerful (the effective dose is measured in micrograms), and most dangerous (it's incredibly toxic) one is called colchicine. It usually stops an attack dead in its tracks, at least in my case, but it does this by interfering with the production and migration of white blood cells to the gout site, which can do unfortunate things to your immune system. Some doctors will also prescribe a steroid like prednisone or prednisolone to further reduce inflammation, but that also messes with your immune system, so they're less commonly prescribed these days. Apart from those, you usually have to make do with standard NSAIDs.

Prevention is much less dangerous, and can involve a drug called allopurinol, which interferes with the uric acid production process in the body. A lot of the rest of it is just lifestyle changes, though, like making sure you're adequately hydrated to flush uric acid out of the body and avoiding or reducing foods that are high in purines (like organ meats).

I've been on allopurinol for years, and I've only had one gout attack in the last five years or so. It's been worth the prescription.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wait, so what do I need to stop eating to avoid gout? Steak? Fish? Wtf else is there to eat?

I get a pack of ribeye at Costco like once a week and that's dinner for like 4 days in a row. Occasionally I'll get salmon.
Gout depends on your metabolism. So as long as you don't abuse you might never have gout.
Currently there is no way to know who might develop this disease.

So it's like genetics that makes you susceptible to it as well?
People already answered but since you quouted me i think it is good etiquete to answer.
Yes genetic would be one of the main factors for gout. I don't really like using the word "genetics" because for most people genetics is something you get at conception and never change during your life.

Not only have I experienced it, I have to take allopurinol

but then I have stage 4 CKD as a result of Alport syndrome, so
I don't think most people here will understand what it means to live with Alport syndrome and stage 4 CKD.

That's what happens when you break bones as well, isn't it?

Breaking bones and gout are completely different.

If you are in Japan you can get zero purine beer, Asahi off. Great for gout sufferers wanting a beer. I used to get it when I lived there, but not available in Australia.

index_img_001.jpg
What???
If only my patients knew....

Everyone's body naturally forms uric acid as a byproduct of metabolism. Usually it gets excreted in your urine--hence "uric acid"--with no problems. In a person prone to gout, though, the body either produces too much uric acid or doesn't get rid of it fast enough, and it'll occasionally crystallize out of the blood and settle, usually in a joint in one of the extremities. (Usually the big toe, but I personally have had it in my hand once or twice.) Suddenly you've got a joint full of these spiky little fuckers:

Your immune system really doesn't like that, and then you get the inflammatory response that involves all the pain and swelling and redness and so on. Now, it'll eventually go away on its own after around a week, as I learned when I first had it without medical insurance (and what a fun time that was), but there are drugs you can take during an attack to reduce the severity.

The oldest (used for over 2000 years), most powerful (the effective dose is measured in micrograms), and most dangerous (it's incredibly toxic) one is called colchicine. It usually stops an attack dead in its tracks, at least in my case, but it does this by interfering with the production and migration of white blood cells to the gout site, which can do unfortunate things to your immune system. Some doctors will also prescribe a steroid like prednisone or prednisolone to further reduce inflammation, but that also messes with your immune system, so they're less commonly prescribed these days. Apart from those, you usually have to make do with standard NSAIDs.

Prevention is much less dangerous, and can involve a drug called allopurinol, which interferes with the uric acid production process in the body. A lot of the rest of it is just lifestyle changes, though, like making sure you're adequately hydrated to flush uric acid out of the body and avoiding or reducing foods that are high in purines (like organ meats).

I've been on allopurinol for years, and I've only had one gout attack in the last five years or so. It's been worth the prescription.

THis is really great,better then anything i could write but i'm just going to correct something- colchicine doesn't have better results at treating gout then many commonly used NSAIDs. The 1st line of treatment for gout is NSAIDs + allopurinol, assuming no major comorbilities.
steroids, either oral or injected in the joint, as well as colchicine are reserved for cases where the 1st line doesn't work.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm sorry you have to go through this kind of excruciating pain.

I've had a similarly painful experience over the last couple days. I already mentioned this in the horror marathon thread. Started as just a regular migraine and it got progressively worse every day until I had to call an ambulance. I was nauseous, I couldn't eat, I couldn't walk, I couldn't work or focus on anything. Felt like somebody was constantly hitting my brain with a hammer.
They're now giving me morphine. I apparently have something called status migrainosus. I didn't know your head could ever hurt like this. The pain takes over your life, every second of your day. I felt like I was dying. It's better today, but the pain is still there.

So I can imagine how you feel right about now. Hope it'll get better.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry you have to go through this kind of excruciating pain.

I've had a similarly painful experience over the last couple days. I already mentioned this in the horror marathon thread. Started as just a regular migraine and it got progressively worse every day until I had to call an ambulance. I was nauseous, I couldn't eat, I couldn't walk, I couldn't work or focus on anything. Felt like somebody was constantly hitting my brain with a hammer.
They're now giving me morphine. I apparently have something called status migrainosus. I didn't know your head could ever hurt like this. The pain takes over your life, every second of your day. I felt like I was dying. It's better today, but the pain is still there.

So I can imagine how you feel right about now. Hope it'll get better.
Damn, that sounds horrible. Hope you get better too.

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
I got it in my big toe but as long as you lessen forbidden foods you're good.

I miss peanut butter, that one attacks so fast I'm afraid eating it now.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My dad started having it right as he got out of the military, he couldn't walk because it always flared up in his ankles and knees. He went vegan with my mom a year ago and hasn't had a problem with it since.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Informative, thank you!

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly feel your pain. I have pretty bad case of psoriatic arthritis. It can cripple you in an instant and there is no cure. Anything with joints and bad arthritis I sure do understand.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Is gout like kidney stones and I can avoid it if I drink water like a fish?

All these stories in here are changing my perception that gout was like scurvy and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Must be the season, lol. I'm also recovering from a flare-up in my left foot.

I got some black cherry extract pills, gonna take those on a regular basis and see if it helps prevent further attacks in the future.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't think most people here will understand what it means to live with Alport syndrome and stage 4 CKD.
in my defense, i was exhausted when i wrote that post

basically thanks to a defective gene the filtration units in my kidneys have been slowly deteriorating my entire life, and they're currently at the point that they're within a couple years at best of failing entirely

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Is that an accurate description?
I've only ever broken my arm before, but the spike in pain with that when it moved wrong is probably comparable to gout...except your body weight pushing down on it because it's in your foot makes it feel worse. I'd honestly rather have a broken arm again than go through a bad flare up of gout. At least with the arm, you can still move around relatively freely and can somewhat protect it. You need to walk to go to the loo and the like, and that's hard as hell with gout. I was lucky in that I had my sister to make meals for me, I can't imagine how I'd have managed that on my own.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
in my defense, i was exhausted when i wrote that post

basically thanks to a defective gene the filtration units in my kidneys have been slowly deteriorating my entire life, and they're currently at the point that they're within a couple years at best of failing entirely

i know what it is . i'm a doctor and when i was studying i saw a couple of patients with this syndrome. IMO i don't think "normal" people will understand what is like to live your life. I quoted you to know you have my respect. When i saw no one quoting you i was a bit surprised and sad no one mentioned a word to your situation.
I hope you live where it is possible to do a transplant when it is needed.
Be strong!

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
i know what it is . i'm a doctor and when i was studying i saw a couple of patients with this syndrome. IMO i don't think "normal" people will understand what is like to live your life. I quoted you to know you have my respect. When i saw no one quoting you i was a bit surprised and sad no one mentioned a word to your situation.
I hope you live where it is possible to do a transplant when it is needed.
Be strong!
yeah, watching my brother go through the same "syndrome -> dialysis -> transplant" process has given me a lot of time to come to terms with the trajectory my life's about to take. like I'm still thinking "well, this is gonna suck" but I at least know that if my brother could get through it, so can I

(e: and he's doing pretty well 6 years after the transplant!)

and on the subject of transplantation, I'm gonna be in good hands as far as hospitals go (I'm either gonna still be living in Columbus or living near DC)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
yeah, watching my brother go through the same "syndrome -> dialysis -> transplant" process has given me a lot of time to come to terms with the trajectory my life's about to take. like I'm still thinking "well, this is gonna suck" but I at least know that if my brother could get through it, so can I

(e: and he's doing pretty well 6 years after the transplant!)

and on the subject of transplantation, I'm gonna be in good hands as far as hospitals go (I'm either gonna still be living in Columbus or living near DC)
Good to know!
IMO being in a good location gives a lot of "peace" of mind (at least as peaceful as you can get with CKD). While It is a hard and stressful process the transplant should really give you a lot of quality of life, when you need to get it.

I'm happy you saw your brother, I think it would dispel a lot of understandable fears; also that way you can both support each other.

If you ever need some kind of explanation from some medical term or action you are free to PM, I'll try to help.