• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell last time it didn't hurt as much.
Someone got a good list of stuff I can eat?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
So when I feel gout coming on, it's always a tingle in one of my big toes, so I get on it immediately, and keep it from getting bad.

The other day, I got some pain/bump at the top of my foot - had no idea it was gout, just thought it was a stress-fracture from running or something, until I got the shivers the night before and it ballooned up just like gout. Now I can barely walk! So, I've been doing my home remedies a little late, but they're finally kicking in. Still, this pain SUUUUCKS!

So now I have to be weary of every little pain I get. Ugh.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
My dad has been having joint problems lately. He went to an arthritis doctor a few weeks ago and they thought it was rheumatoid arthritis. Now, they're saying they think he has gout in every joint in his body.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Had what was prob my worst episode ever a couple of days ago, missed an entire day of work practically, decided to go to the ER this time around and it seems what set it off may have been all the chocolate I'd been eating lately (there's this vending machine at work...) coupled with my all-time unhealthy water-drinking habits. So they administered me some IV and prescribed me some medication, one I'm supposed to take every day for the rest of my life and the other one if I notice any signs of a possible episode, neither is covered by my insurance and the former of the two is actually kinda expensive, so that sucks.

My dad has been having joint problems lately. He went to an arthritis doctor a few weeks ago and they thought it was rheumatoid arthritis. Now, they're saying they think he has gout in every joint in his body.
Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that, that sounds like absolute hell.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
it seems what set it off may have been all the chocolate I'd been eating lately (there's this vending machine at work...)
Chocolate is not bad for gout. In fact, it has anti-inflammatory properties

coupled with my all-time unhealthy water-drinking habits.
But if you are prone to gout, not drinking enough water to "flush" yourself out can definitely lead to an attack.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, undergoing a gout flare-up right now, it totally sucks, had slight pain in my left foot last Saturday that then turned into excruciating pain that did not go away sitting or laying down and it was complete hell standing and walking. Went to Johns Hopkins ER on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and told the ER doctor who saw me that I had a history of gout and I think this is a gout attack. ER doctor told me they needed an X-Ray of my left foot and ankle plus blood tests. I was glad I took my Nintendo Switch Lite with me so I wouldn't be so bored waiting.

Off I went to X-Ray, results showed nothing of significance. Blood was drawn and sent to the in hospital lab. Results came back and doctor came back told me "We believe you have tendonitis, going to give you a prescription of 800MG of ibuprofen to take every 8 hours." Got discharged. Still in excruciating pain, ibuprofen did absolutely nothing to reduce the pain by any degree of significance. Got an notification that the blood test results were available for me to view on my Johns Hopkins Hospital patient website so logged in, saw that uric acid was indeed tested for, looked at that, standard range for uric acid in a person's blood is 3 .5 - 7.2 mg/dL, mine was a 9.3 mg/dL!!! Went "WTF.... Did the ER doctor I saw even looked at my uric acid result?!?!" Suffered in pain when I went to my brother's house to have Thanksgiving dinner. Black Friday rolls around and I decided to return to Johns Hopkins ER, complained about the pain in my left foot that then spread to my left big toe, told the ER doctor about my uric acid levels and asked for three gout specific medications that I knew helped me significantly with pain, colchine, indomethacin and the steroid Prednisone, doctor was actually surprised that I was able to take all three at the same time but actually got prescribed all three.

Currently taking all three and I'm not in excruciating pain anymore, so yay!!!

Oct 28, 2019
Well, undergoing a gout flare-up right now, it totally sucks, had slight pain in my left foot last Saturday that then turned into excruciating pain that did not go away sitting or laying down and it was complete hell standing and walking. Went to Johns Hopkins ER on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and told the ER doctor who saw me that I had a history of gout and I think this is a gout attack. ER doctor told me they needed an X-Ray of my left foot and ankle plus blood tests. I was glad I took my Nintendo Switch Lite with me so I wouldn't be so bored waiting.

Off I went to X-Ray, results showed nothing of significance. Blood was drawn and sent to the in hospital lab. Results came back and doctor came back told me "We believe you have tendonitis, going to give you a prescription of 800MG of ibuprofen to take every 8 hours." Got discharged. Still in excruciating pain, ibuprofen did absolutely nothing to reduce the pain by any degree of significance. Got an notification that the blood test results were available for me to view on my Johns Hopkins Hospital patient website so logged in, saw that uric acid was indeed tested for, looked at that, standard range for uric acid in a person's blood is 3 .5 - 7.2 mg/dL, mine was a 9.3 mg/dL!!! Went "WTF.... Did the ER doctor I saw even looked at my uric acid result?!?!" Suffered in pain when I went to my brother's house to have Thanksgiving dinner. Black Friday rolls around and I decided to return to Johns Hopkins ER, complained about the pain in my left foot that then spread to my left big toe, told the ER doctor about my uric acid levels and asked for three gout specific medications that I knew helped me significantly with pain, colchine, indomethacin and the steroid Prednisone, doctor was actually surprised that I was able to take all three at the same time but actually got prescribed all three.

Currently taking all three and I'm not in excruciating pain anymore, so yay!!!
The day I discovered what gout really is... Ugh bad memories just thinking about it. Keep drinking water and take your medicine.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Sometime, there are ailments that doctors don't know shit about because they don't happen enough, so the doctor has no experience dealing with it. Gout is one of those things.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
What's been people's longest flair up?
My foot has been bad for about 3 weeks now. Starts to get better, then gets shit again. Never gone on this long before and have run out of naproxen.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
3 weeks is bad! I've never gone longer than 3 days, and that was with a full blown attack.
Again, are you drinking enough water with your naproxen? And by "enough", I mean a shit ton!
Also, have you been drinking beer/eating trigger foods all the while? Even a little bit of that stuff during an attack can exasperate it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo... I had it twice in the left foot, today I aching a bit in my right foot. Should I be worried or is it always in the same place ?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just start flushing it out with a TON of drinking water (alkaline, if you can get it), and that should at least keep it from getting worse, and then improving quicker than it would otherwise.
Yeah it's still really early, at least I was able to put on a pair of socks this time. I'm heading to the doc in about 10 minutes, I hope it's not as bad as last time.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I started Allopurinol about 3 weeks ago... and got about a small gout attack per week.
Is this normal?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
So I started Allopurinol about 3 weeks ago... and got about a small gout attack per week.
Is this normal?
Since I started Allopurinol I've not had an attack of gout. There was a dialling in process to get the dose, the doc eventually had me on 300mg a day, which proved to be too much for me as I developed some adverse symptoms. Lowering it to 200mg a day has proved to be the sweet spot, and so far no further flare ups. Perhaps your dosage can be adjusted?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Is this normal?
When I started, the doc said there is a period where you'll get more attacks but it will level out. Did you also get a script for colchicine? If not, I'd recommend calling and asking for one to have on hand in case you do get an attack. Stops it before it really starts for me.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When I started, the doc said there is a period where you'll get more attacks but it will level out. Did you also get a script for colchicine? If not, I'd recommend calling and asking for one to have on hand in case you do get an attack. Stops it before it really starts for me.
I took a colchimax this morning since I'm having an attack right now thats a bit more severe.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
My cousin gets this occasionally, he said energy drinks are a number one trigger. If he has booze once it starts, it's hell.
Bullshit. (Corn syrup aside), there is absolutely nothing in an energy drink (such as purines) that would lead to an accumulation of tophi that leads to gout. Booze, for sure!
I actually didn't know it was a disease still present in current times.
If anything, it's more widespread than ever, due to society's increased intake of purine-rich foods, such as meat, fish and beer. Also, obesity.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to you OP and all the other afflicted on the board. Hopefully I'll never have gout but I have osteoarthritis of the spine and ball joints of my hips so I sympathize with what it's like to live day with a deep, constant pain on a level that makes you contemplate suicide. Adding gout to what I already deal with would be a genuine nightmare.

Ever since I first heard about the illness (from King of the Hill funnily enough), I think I've mostly stayed clear of the common influential factors like red meat. I could do more though.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get it in one of my toes in my left foot (haven't had it in a while except for a few small flair ups), pretty damn painful. Also super annoying cause you basically can't walk.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
I've given up trying to fight this with diet / lifestyle and started allopurinol today. Be on this for the rest of my life now probably. Makes me a bit sad, I've been resisting it for about 3 years now I guess, cut a load of stuff from my diet, doing a lot more exercise, but nothing seems to work and it's got to the stage where my gout is limiting my ability to do exercise.

I've had 2 very painful trips to A&E to have fluid drained, taken far too much naxproxen, had various holidays "spoilt" by attacks so I know it's the right call, but am just gutted I guess.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Dang, I had my first flare up in over a year today. I did a quick telecall with a doctor, turns out my insurance doesn't cover colchicine now. $160 at the pharmacy, lol. Pharmacist switched it to Mitigare and it is still like $40. What a scam. Got it anyway....

Thankfully it's not a bad one. It hit my toe and I can't move my toe at all, and it hurts like hell, but I can walk and get small things done. Been in bed all day, this fucking sucks. I think the pork ribs I had yesterday triggered it. :|

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I'm in the midst of one right now in my left knee. Literally can't straighten it or come even close. Have barely slept the last two nights. Been taking heavy doses of colchicine and it's a bit better than it was, but hasn't subsided as quickly as in the past. Every time I get up from sitting or lying down, I need to just stand gradually putting more weight on it to disperse the fluid before it is even remotely bearable to take a step.

Still working on my triggers too. Nothing came to mind these last few days, which is just so frustrating. Be well man.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I've been dealing with it on and off for 7 years now and just finally had a doc tell me "you should try naproxen instead of ibuprofen". I take colchicine usually at the start but I have to be very quick in taking it or it's a lost cause for 3 days. Started taking naproxen now and it's a night and day different how much that helps. I quit drinking alcohol entirely as that seems to be my main trigger

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have gout, I have a rheumatologist who specializes in gout and he has me on allopurinol as a gout preventative, he told me to not eat seafood and certain meats that is high in purines that can cause a gout attack. One thing he really stressed to me was DO NOT eat or drink ANYTHING sweetened with high fructose corn syrup (HCFS) or fructose as they do cause gout attacks. And he told me any alcoholic drinks do cause gout.

For gout attacks, he has put me on Methylprednisolone that has reduced the pain significantly within the first day of taking it for me. He wants me to get an MRI of my right foot since I've been having gout attacks in my right foot that's so severe, I cannot walk or put any weight on my right foot.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My dad has this and I'm pretty sure our cultures diet isn't helping. To clarify, Pacific Islander descent and as everybody can prolly gauge it's a whoooooole lot of meats and fishes. Another reason I'm trying to commit to more greens and get them into it.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had an attack go into my ankle then take up residence in my kneecap for a day recently. Honestly the pain isn't as bad as when you can't control limbs.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Gout pain is so fucking intense When it's bad. I have had it so bad that my only thoughts were that I had to find a way to saw off the wrist, ankle, knee or whatever that was in pain. Not even exaggerating. Sometimes it has felt like it has been trapped under a Mac truck tire. I don't seem to have any specific trouble trigger foods it just happens randomly.

A few weeks ago I had a crazy flare up, first in my wrist and then in both my feet at same time. I could not get out of bed without someone assisting me. That night, I got a really bad fever 102+ for 5-6 hours. It was due to the inflammation. Maybe the worst And strangest episodes ever for me. No medicine helped with any of the pain.

I called my Dr the next day, and he had me do blood tests. Utica acid came back within normal range, like it has for last 5 years. He is beginning to worry there is something else going on so I have an appt with the rheumatologist next week.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this thread pop up again always gives me the chills. Thankfully I haven't had an attack since I posted last in this thread thanks to losing weight and a better diet.
If you're not on the preventative medicine please please please invest in some black cherry extract pills and take them daily. It helps keep the uric acid levels down.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Dang, I had my first flare up in over a year today. I did a quick telecall with a doctor, turns out my insurance doesn't cover colchicine now. $160 at the pharmacy, lol. Pharmacist switched it to Mitigare and it is still like $40. What a scam. Got it anyway....

When I was under-insured, I used this website called inhousepharma to order meds at much, much cheaper prices than the US. I've used them for 7 years or so now and they've been legit. Still, don't take my word for it. Google them for peace of mind.

Out of curiosity I checked for ur meds and they are 30 cents per 0.5mg colgout tablet if you buy a 10 month supply or so.

There is also GoodRX and canadian pharmacies that might be cheap. Shop around.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this thread pop up again always gives me the chills. Thankfully I haven't had an attack since I posted last in this thread thanks to losing weight and a better diet.
If you're not on the preventative medicine please please please invest in some black cherry extract pills and take them daily. It helps keep the uric acid levels down.

I take 4 2400mg tart cherry extract capsules a day. It was working pretty well.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I thought I had gout but it turns out that it is the early stages of rheumatoid arthritis. Reading this thread, I've never been more glad of a diagnosis in my life, as it sounds like hell.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
welp, pretty sure I'm experiencing my first bout with gout, woke up saturday morning almost unable to walk due to pain on left foot, the joint before the big toe. had of course beer, potato chips and other assorted crap on friday.

Ridiculous, but I do think this is now my wake up call. 38, overweight, drinking tons of beer (way above risk thresholds, sometimes almost daily - most likely alcoholic) eating garbage. I've known I'm doing the wrong shit for YEARS but this fucking thing really makes me come to grips with my mortality, lol. Being basically confined to my home by this during a heatwave and also having to scrape by for the last week before my payday helps, I guess.

Not having to experience shit like this hopefully ever again is a pretty decent incentive, I think.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My dad had really bad gout because of his arthritis.

welp, pretty sure I'm experiencing my first bout with gout, woke up saturday morning almost unable to walk due to pain on left foot, the joint before the big toe. had of course beer, potato chips and other assorted crap on friday.

Ridiculous, but I do think this is now my wake up call. 38, overweight, drinking tons of beer (way above risk thresholds, sometimes almost daily - most likely alcoholic) eating garbage. I've known I'm doing the wrong shit for YEARS but this fucking thing really makes me come to grips with my mortality, lol. Being basically confined to my home by this during a heatwave and also having to scrape by for the last week before my payday helps, I guess.

Not having to experience shit like this hopefully ever again is a pretty decent incentive, I think.

You can do it.

I came to terms with an alcohol dependency a couple years ago. I was drinking too much, associated too much with alcohol, and recognizing that I had a dependency on alcohol was an important first step for me in controlling it. The word 'alcoholic' carries so much with it, not just external stigma but internal stigma, and when I think of an alcoholic I think of someone not being a good parent, missing work, being drunk all the time, or what have you. For me, recognizing that I was dependent on alcohol was a more comfortable reality than the stigmatization of alcoholism. I still have beers now, still enjoy drinking on a Saturday night playing videogames, but I've setup rules over drinking. I don't drink Sunday - Thursday, don't drink as much as I used to on the weekends, and I check myself more often ... "Do I really need to have another beer right now?" And usually, I answer no. It's been a good change for me, and I believe you can do it too.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, I was a good 40 pounds overweight when my gout first hit and was at it's worst and most frequent. After dropping 40 pounds, the worst I've had were mild tingles, slight soreness - but only after a day of heavy beer drinking and meat eating. And it clears up after drinking a ton of water.