• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Just woke up at 6:30 am in excruciating pain. Recently the extremity that gets this pain is the joint in my left buttocks.

I don't know if you know this, but you need to that joint to walk properly. It took me 20 minutes to go from my bed to the refrigerator where I keep my medicine and back to the bed. All the while moving my leg that's causing the pain.

And unlike other things of this nature I'm stuck with it for life. And it seriously impairs your eating and drinking habits. I haven't had any alcohol for 5 months now(a good side effect) but I also shouldn't have any fish, beef, coffee, lamb, tofu, etc. Anything with Purine/uric acid is a no go.

Another awesome thing is that it can happen to any joint in the body. One day it might be your big toe, the next your elbow, and the next time your knee. Like I said recently it's been my butt and just think how often you use that part of your body. Walking, lying down, and sitting all put me in agony if I don't have my medicine. And the meds, lol, without insurance I'd be paying 400 a bottle for a 30 day supply. So fuck American healthcare also.

But I do have my medicine right now and I took it and I'm calming down now, and once it kicks in, I'll be fine. Literally won't feel anything and I'll be able to walk like a normal human being.

But to put the pain in perspective, if these meds didn't exist, I would have killed myself by now. And that's no joke. That's how much gout hurts. So be thankful era and don't drink too much or eat too much beef because you could get it too and there's no known cure besides death.

But on a lighter note, I'll be first in line for good robot legs or body.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
s1XIgWQ.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My aunt gets it in her big toe now and then and it's awful. I remember people made fun of the Prince of Dorne having gout on Game of Thrones but they don't know how painful and debilitating it can be.

You have my sincerest sympathies.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I have never experienced anything worse. It feels like hundreds of needles all poked into one area. It made me give up seafood. I rather have a cramp any day.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, folks might have a point when they talk about our hivemind.

Oct 28, 2017
It's really *that* bad that you would of killed yourself? My pops has had bouts with gout, says it's awful but not something he'd actually off himself over ha

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I have had it OP. I know your pain. Luckily I'm in Australia and allopurinol is available after a visit to the doctor for $5 for 2 months supply. Since taking it I haven't had attacks in 3 years. Still drink occasionally and eat whatever I want within reason.

I hope you can get better and have no more attacks. I've broken my leg before and this is worse pain.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes. I did say fuck American healthcare. Lol

Ah, sorry I missed it. As someone who suffered for over two years with ankylosing spondylitis arthritis which was misdiagnosed as sciatica at first and then piriformis syndrome (while it ate away at my S.I. joints) I found great relief with "biologics". They are immunosuppressants and are very expensive per shot (I qualified for my provincial program in Canada) but it turned my life around. I don't know if this is a possible solution for your issue and whether you can get yourself into an insurance or a program if you can't afford it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I totally understand what you are saying. I've discovered I had gout 4-5 years ago. When the pain first hit me, I thought I broken some bones in my left foot. I went to the emergency room to see if anything was broken. Since then, I get about 1-3 flare ups a year, with each one essentially making me bed ridden for 10-14 days at a time. It can get so bad that even lifting my leg can be enough to trigger severe pain. Try going to sleep that way.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

God dammit this is the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of the thread lmao. Started cracking up as soon as I saw this, bravo. One of the many reasons I love this place.

Anyway on topic damn OP that sounds rough. I didn't know gout was for life. That is brutal and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
My Dad gets it in his foot and it seems absolutely excruciating. I hope to God it isn't hereditary.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Do you not qualify for subsidies to buy a plan through healthcare.gov?
I've got insurance. I'm just saying without it I'd be fucked. I also seem to get worse gout than others. I don't eat anything they say not to eat but I still get it every now and then. Like I haven't had a shrimp in 2 years and last beef I had was 3 weeks ago but I still got gout last night....woe is me.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's really *that* bad that you would of killed yourself? My pops has had bouts with gout, says it's awful but not something he'd actually off himself over ha
The last night I had it, just resting a top sheet on my toe made me yell in pain. I ended up just staying up all night with my foot in an ice bath. Luckily I have to go out of my way to trigger it, and the expensive medicine works within a few hours. Some people get it from the slightest bit of red meat, seafood, or alcohol though.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I have gout,28. I've only ever had attacks occur in my left foot/ankle/big toe. Worst pain ever. Around 3 weeks ago I had an attack happen while I was working away from home.(truck driver). I had felt the attack coming the day b4 but thought I could stay off it a bit and it would be ok. I was so wrong. Next morning couldn't put any weight on it and couldn't drive at all. So just laid in the bed in the back of the cab til it got to a point we're i could limp around/swelling goes down. I knew from n4 all I could really do was wait it out and stay off of it. Mostly my fault, I ran out of allopurinol pills and wasn't drinking enuff water. Had my doc change my supply to 90 days,and I make sure to drink 5-6 bottles of water a day minimum. I also ordered some cherry extract pills. I take 2 800mg pills of the extract every morning and night. That helps with the ulric acid in the system.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I've got insurance. I'm just saying without it I'd be fucked. I also seem to get worse gout than others. I don't eat anything they say not to eat but I still get it every now and then. Like I haven't had a shrimp in 2 years and last beef I had was 3 weeks ago but I still got gout last night....woe is me.
My doctor in Australia has said that some people are just prone to it, they can't process the purine like others. Diet is like 1% of the reason you get it. You, like me are one of the unlucky ones. Thankfully medicine is available for it.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
My Dad gets it in his foot and it seems absolutely excruciating. I hope to God it isn't hereditary.
I've got bad news for you. It is easier to get if your parents have it. Cut back on beef, seafood, and alcohol and try to maintain a low weight and you might not get it. Once you get one flare up, though, that's it. You are now capable of getting it any time.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
As it happens I'm currently going through a flare-up myself right now. I've had a couple of bouts with it over the years and can concur, without pain meds to get me through I would rather die than suffer with the kind of pain radiating out of my big toe. It's impossible to understand if you haven't dealt with it I think.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
How much sodium do you consume and how much water do you drink? High sodium diets cause all sorts of shit like this. Also I would get your kidneys checked if they have issue filtering this stuff out.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
On the plus side apparently those of us with high uric acid in their blood have a lower chance of getting Parkinsons I believe?

https://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-di...igh-uric-acid-levels-lower-risk-of-parkinsons

Every year I go to the Japanese health check they warn me of high uric acid in my blood and that I may get gout. The thing is I don't drink alcohol and rarely ever eat beef. Not sure where it's coming from.

You should get into demotions :P

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
On the plus side apparently those of us with high uric acid in their blood have a lower chance of getting Parkinsons I believe?

https://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-di...igh-uric-acid-levels-lower-risk-of-parkinsons

Every year I go to the Japanese health check they warn me of high uric acid in my blood and that I may get gout. The thing is I don't drink alcohol and rarely ever eat beef. Not sure where it's coming from.
A lot of different things can set it off, not just alcohol or beef. What sets it off in one person may not even play a role for another person's gout to flare up.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been dealing with Planters Fasciatis the last 6 months. It started out just hurting when I first got out of bed but now it's to the point I can barely walk on my left foot 24/7

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017

Aside from purine metabolic disorders or some genetic enzyme deficiency, it's a diet thing for the majority.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
He may be down playing the hurt. Ask him seriously next time if what I said is true for him. You might be surprised with the answer. People normally say "walk around a bit and get the blood flowing". But those people have no fucking clue what walking around with gout feels like. I literally cried after getting back to the bed. That's how much this shit hurts when it's a bad flare up.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad has gout and I'm pretty sure it's hereditary because what do ya know I found out I had it a few years ago.

I got it one time on the right big toe then another time on the left. Its really is extremely painful. I also had no medication so I just had to power through. It really sucks how long an attack can last and you can barely walk, so have fun getting to work.

It's definitely the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I say this as someone who broke their big toe in two places last summer.

Thankfully I haven't had an attack in like a year and a half and I hope it stays that way.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had it happen bad a few times. One time it took out my foot so bad that I know that feeling of wanting to die. I recommend ordering some cherry extract capsules and taking a few every day, it helps.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it sucks.

Woke up with pain on my leg and had to cancel all my plans for today because just getting to the shower feels like a Herculean task.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Dude.... My oldest brother and my mom has it. My oldest brother deals with it nearly every few months and it fucking destroys him. Dude can barely stand and the same happens to my mom (who I am her paid caretaker), and I need to take care of them. I love them so I have to do everything for them. Just seeing them suffer from it fucking scares me, BladeoftheImmortal :(

My mom luckily has some pills that can ease the pain but when she gets it..... Big oof. I just hope I don't get it when I'm older.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Dude.... My oldest brother and my mom has it. My oldest brother deals with it nearly every few months and it fucking destroys him. Dude can barely stand and the same happens to my mom (who I am her paid caretaker), and I need to take care of them. I love them so I have to do everything for them. Just seeing them suffer from it fucking scares me, BladeoftheImmortal :(

My mom luckily has some pills that can ease the pain but when she gets it..... Big oof. I just hope I don't get it when I'm older.
Just be careful with what you eat. Being thinner can help lessen the pain also. I'm a bigger guy but trying to get down in weight.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of medicine do you take for it? Just painkillers? I assume that's all that can be done, right?

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've had it since I was 17. I'm 28 now and it fuckin suuuucks. Its been flaring up a lot more too. I don't even drink alcohol