• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious who the new director is with Barlog stepping out so I'll definitely be watching this later. Cheers.

Summary

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
poklane made this short summary in the PS thread:

Not too much info in it really (as expected, not like they're gonna reveal new game details during a YouTube interview), but there's this:
  • It was Cory's decision to end the Norse saga after 2 games. One of the most important reasons was that the first game took 5 years to make, the 2nd game a similar time. If a 3rd Norse game also would take about 5 years it would have taken approximately 15 years to cover a single story which is simply too long.
  • After the 2018 game's release they had 2-3 months for everyone at the studio to come up with ideas for the sequel. One focus was the Blades of Chaos since they were only in the 2018 game for half the game which resulted in the grapple, chain-pull and slamming enemies who are mid-air into the ground. The dog sled is a result of a developer who just happened to have gone dog sledding.
  • The team knew the 2018 game was lacking on the enemy variety but at one point you simply have to wrap your game up. Some 2018 enemies will return in this game, and some of them in new ways

I'll add that around the 22m mark Eric says that he thinks people will be very impressed when they see the finished cast of npcs, story characters and enemies.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Very smart idea to cap off the norse saga with this game, I 100% agree that waiting almost 15 years to see the end of the story would have been way too long

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
So they apologize for the lack of enemy variety in the last game but then say they'll be back in Ragnarok? :P I assume they mean they'll as more variety but sounds funny the way it's summarized.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
ending the norse saga with Atreus and Angrdoba still very young seems strange
Well it could just be end of this story arc, doesn't mean we won't ever see Atreus again. (or Kratos for that matter).

Anyway ending on this game will mean they will likely go big and out with a bang. Can't wait to see it lol

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So they apologize for the lack of enemy variety in the last game but then say they'll be back in Ragnarok? :P I assume they mean they'll as more variety but sounds funny the way it's summarized.
Yes, obviously we'll get plenty of brand new enemies as well like the trailer already shows, but they'll also be bringing back some enemies from the 2018 game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's just that previous enemies will be returning with new stuff as well.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Thank you for posting, this, Definitely some new info.

Cory's explanation for why they're wrapping the Norse arc in 2 instead of 3 games made sense, even if it made me think we're looking at 2nd half 2022 release at the earliest.

They seemed to also hint that
the big bird in Helheim
will be back in a big way so that makes me very happy.

Loved the LOST shade too lol

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I think the post with the summary didn't completly understand what Eric said. He said that when making GOW 2018 they were conscious of the lack enemies and wanted to have more, but that several of them that didn't make the cut because they had to wrap the game will be in the sequel.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Very smart idea to cap off the norse saga with this game, I 100% agree that waiting almost 15 years to see the end of the story would have been way too long
I thought this was suppose to be a trilogy, but I completely understand the reasons behind only doing two games. Let's see how the story ends and then what Cory is working on. To me it seems from how he talked after the showcase that it's another GoW and I am totally fine with that. There are definitely more stories to tell, even though this one will finish with Ragnarok.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It was Cory's decision to end the Norse saga after 2 games. One of the most important reasons was that the first game took 5 years to make, the 2nd game a similar time. If a 3rd Norse game also would take about 5 years it would have taken approximately 15 years to cover a single story which is simply too long.
While I understand the reasoning here, Cory confirms that the first game was written as the first third of the story rather than the first half and then they decided to cut it short after realizing how long a trilogy would take. They have a LOT of Norse ground to cover with just one more game so I really hope it all comes together in a satisfying way instead of feeling rushed and truncated.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Just by the reveal trailer, they already added something like 10 completely new enemy types, and that's just the tip of the iceberg

Zedelima

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Soā€¦it really seems that Sony will pull a "ubisoft" on SSM
Doing mostly GOW (like assasins creed) and other smaller projects

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Music to my ears.

I just want more god of war, much much more. If using the same engine make it easier and faster to develop content, then go right ahead.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So they will get bigger like insominiac ? Because it seems to me that GOW will not stop so soon haha

The fact that Norse saga will end with the 2nd game means they can afford to "take their time" with the post-Norse games ( you know, reinventing the look and feel of the franchise again with a new setting ), and what will SSM work on while they figure that out?

Cory's new game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
While I understand the reasoning here, Cory confirms that the first game was written as the first third of the story rather than the first half and then they decided to cut it short after realizing how long a trilogy would take. They have a LOT of Norse ground to cover with just one more game so I really hope it all comes together in a satisfying way instead of feeling rushed and truncated.

They can still cover some plot points after the Norse setting. The story will continue.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Did Barlog also direct the Tomb Raider reboot? I am looking forward to his next project.
Consider we only killed 1ļ¼ˆor 3ļ¼‰ of the gods in the 2018 GOW, it means that we had to kill most of the Norse gods in 2nd one feels a little bit rushed.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Doing time skips while maintaining 1 continuous shot would be a challenge, not impossible ofc
Easy enough: Kratos and Atreus return home. Atreus sets down his bow. The camera pulls forward, framing the bow for a few seconds in silence, before it is grabbed again by an unseen hand. The camera pulls back and follows the bow up to a now older Atreus. The camera rotates around our older Atreus as he addresses his father, who now wears reading glasses. He wears them for the rest of the game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Did Barlog also direct the Tomb Raider reboot? I am looking forward to his next project.
Consider we only killed 1ļ¼ˆor 3ļ¼‰ of the gods in the 2018 GOW, it means that we had to kill most of the Norse gods in 2nd one feels a little bit rushed.

I don't think he'll kill every Norse god lol. Why would he? Kratos doesn't go around killing gods just for the sake of it. He'll only kill those who basically ask for it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Cinematic direction only. He was originally tapped to direct ROTR but he got poached back to Sony before that could happen.

The franchise isn't a god-killing gauntlet anymore. Especially with the game still being single-cut, that means plenty of casualties will be "off-screen" imo and you're only focused on Kratos's core enemies.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Easy enough: Kratos and Atreus return home. Atreus sets down his bow. The camera pulls forward, framing the bow for a few seconds in silence, before it is grabbed again by an unseen hand. The camera pulls back and follows the bow up to a now older Atreus. The camera rotates around our older Atreus as he addresses his father, who now wears reading glasses. He wears them for the rest of the game.

lol at the visual.

I feel like moving Kratos and Atreus out of frame completely would be cheating, at that point, it's basically a cut.

I was imagining something like a Zelda LTTP Dark World transition where you stay in the same position on screen but the world around you changes

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Two games in the Norse saga is perfect. Not too long, not too short. The more I think about Ragnarok, the more excited I get. Hope it releases in fall 2022 or winter 2022/2023. It's a game I want to play cuddled up with some coffee/tea while it's rainy and windy outside.

Looking forward to see what kind of gods we'll be fighting next time. Aztec would be cool, or atleast a setting that's not been explored much.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
The franchise isn't a god-killing gauntlet anymore. Especially with the game still being single-cut, that means plenty of casualties will be "off-screen" imo and you're only focused on Kratos's core enemies.

I think that Kratos will fight only Freya and Thor. The rest of the main bosses will not be gods, but beasts like the giant bird of Hellheim.

Don't know what they are planning for Odine. Probably the last boss, but controlling Atreus. Or maybe they are preserving him for a new game with a larger scope (multi-pantheons, so Athena could return too)

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's hard to know at this stage if two games is enough, but from a game-design standpoint it's the right choice.

I don't agree with the some of the sentiment that Ragnarok doesn't feel like a sufficient leap sequel-wise, but it's definitely an iterative sequel.

IMO a lot of "trilogies" rarely have a 3rd game that substantially adds enough to the foundation. The same-miness starts to kick in at that point.

Ending the Norse trilogy with a polished iterative upgrade to the core systems of GoW2018, then move on to all-new locale/setting/weapons/game-design reconsideration/etc for a new mythology.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
the "5 years between games" comment throws me off a bit. if ragnarok startet in 2018...does it come out in 2023?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I think it's a good idea to wrap it up with the second game. On the other the first felt like an incredibly long prologue so I hope they really amp stuff up this time.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
the "5 years between games" comment throws me off a bit. if ragnarok startet in 2018...does it come out in 2023?

You're reading too deeply into it.

The general idea is that games take a long time to make, and Cory's personal view as a director/creative is that he doesn't want the story to be needlesly long for length's sake.

As opposed to stories that hasn't concluded even after 20 years.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will be a great solid game just like the first. The only two things I want is for the story to be better written and that they don't fuck up Tyr's character. The contrast between his exploits and Kratos was the only standout writing in 2018.
It's hard to know at this stage if two games is enough, but from a game-design standpoint it's the right choice.

I don't agree with the some of the sentiment that Ragnarok doesn't feel like a sufficient leap sequel-wise, but it's definitely an iterative sequel.

IMO a lot of "trilogies" rarely have a 3rd game that substantially adds enough to the foundation. The same-miness starts to kick in at that point.

Ending the Norse trilogy with a polished iterative upgrade to the core systems of GoW2018, then move on to all-new locale/setting/weapons/game-design reconsideration/etc for a new mythology.
While I agree that 2 games is perfectly fine and we don't need this to span 13-15 years it's really easy to do a 3rd one that plays differently. The story even sets it up at the end of 1.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the type of challenge GOW would do šŸ˜‰

Time skips wouldn't be that hard actually. Just pan up from Kratos and Atreus at a campsite to view the sky and landscape then have several days pass by in high speed before panning down to show a much more lived in campsite or the duo packed and ready to go for the next leg of their journey. Maybe SSM considers that cheating in some fashion since it takes the focus off of Kratos and Atreus.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
  • It was Cory's decision to end the Norse saga after 2 games. One of the most important reasons was that the first game took 5 years to make, the 2nd game a similar time. If a 3rd Norse game also would take about 5 years it would have taken approximately 15 years to cover a single story which is simply too long.
This is a pretty fair reason overall, but when it says it's gonna wrap up the Norse Saga, does this mean it's going to wrap up this narrative arc? Because if they mean that GoW: R is going to mark another end of the series, and the next game is going to start it's own Saga elsewhere, fine. But if not, and we are going to get Kratos and Atreus finishing the narrative arcs as in a usual trilogy, but with the norse saga concluded, then what they're probably gonna do is have a hodge podge of the other mythologies, maybe using them as different 'worlds' with a neutral hub area the same way GoW used the realms as different levels with the lake of nine as the hub. And that strikes me as incredibly lame and shitty to do, because it will necessitate that we don't get a full exploration of the settings and characters of other mythologies.

I just don't want to have a fully realized adventure of the Greek Saga, and then a fully realized adventure of the Norse Saga, then have a cliffnotes version of everything else.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It was Cory's decision to end the Norse saga after 2 games. One of the most important reasons was that the first game took 5 years to make, the 2nd game a similar time. If a 3rd Norse game also would take about 5 years it would have taken approximately 15 years to cover a single story which is simply too long.
Great reasoning, which more creators in other mediums thought like that. Especially when you don't know if you might not get to finish what you start due to some exec wanting to make waves