• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Price would you grab the Win 2?

• 400$

Votes: 315 76.8%
  • 500$

Votes: 75 18.3%
  • 600$+

Votes: 37 9.0%

• Total voters

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the GPD Series Thread!

So off the bat you might have some questions ...........

What is a GPD?
GamePad Digital (GPD) is a technology company based in Shenzen, China. Among other products, they have created several handheld video game consoles which run Android Or Windows on ARM architecture. Product such as GPD XD, GPD Win, GPD Pocket, and the Upcoming GPD Win 2.

Why makes this thread?
Back in the old country, We had a pretty long thread on the Win itself , With impressions and benchmarks but it was never made into a full OT so the info was pretty much scattered all over the place. I really enjoy these products and even thought I was a junior back then with zero thread making skills, I figured I can at least try since the amount of GPD owners in probably in the dozens (Cue Gif)

Why should I care about these devices ?
Well, As general game enthusiastic, these are quite targeted mostly at us. It was also one of the very few ways you could possibly do console-level gaming on the go before the Switch ate their lunch on that. I still believe these devices are strong enough in their own niche to at least gander at and imagine the possibilities.

So with a few questions outta the way, let's introduce a few of these devices.......

GPD XD

1501707380239706358.jpg

GPD XD is an Android-based handheld game console produced by GamePad Digital, released in late 2015. It is similar in size to a Nintendo 3DS XL, has a single, capacitive touch-screen, and is optimized for running emulators and other native Android software.
Android 4.4.4 is installed as standard, including a Metro-inspired launcher, game emulators and apps. The stock system software can be replaced with newer, community-based versions such as LegacyROM, removing unnecessary or infringing apps, adding Google Play, improving the performance of some emulators and enabling root access as well as overclocking to 1.8GHz.
A virtual control mapper utility is included in all versions of the system software, allowing the use of the physical controls with games that do not support them. The GPD XD contains a Rockchip RK3288 SoC, which consists of an ARM Cortex-A17 clocked at 1.4 GHz, paired with the Mali-T764, which is clocked at 600 MHz. This allows the XD to be used for native 3D accelerated Android games as well as emulation, which is the device's main selling point. The device's power allows it to emulate systems up to the Sega Dreamcast, albeit with varying levels of quality. The system also has 2 GB of DDR3-SDRAM and a 720p display.

GPD WIN

http://www./articles_media/images/gpd-win-review-9.jpg

The GPD Win palmtop is a Windows-based handheld computer equipped with a keyboard and gaming controls. It is an x86-based device which runs a full version of Windows 10 Home. The device was envisioned primarily with video game console emulation and PC gaming in mind, but is capable of running any x86 Windows-based application that can run within the confines of the device's technical specifications. First announced in October 2015, it was crowd funded via Indiegogo and two other crowdfunding sites in Japan and China, and was released in October 2016.

The GPD Win has a full QWERTY keyboard, which includes 67 standard keys and 10 expanded function keys. For gaming, the controller broadly mimicked the OpenPandora and DragonBox Pyra style keyboard and controller layout: one D-pad, two analog sticks, four face buttons, and four shoulder buttons (two on each shoulder). The GPD Win was initially intended to use the Intel Atom x5-Z8500 Cherry Trail CPU. However, GPD eventually upgraded the intended CPU, likely due to availability concerns. Instead, the Win came with an Intel Atom x7-Z8700, which is a 64-bit quad-core CPU with a base clock speed around 1.60 GHz, with a turbo boost up to 2.56 GHz. The graphics processor is an Intel HD Graphics integrated GPU with a base clock speed of 200 MHz and a turbo boost of up to 600 MHz.

GPD has continued to support the GPD Win past release, taking user feedback into account, with driver and hardware updates. As of January 10, 2017, GPD revised the GPD Win's hardware, providing a fix for Intel graphics driver stability issues, fixing the AC charging/boot up bug, improved cooling, as well as improving the tactile feedback of the D-Pad, buttons, and keyboard. This includes a software update that improves the buttons responsiveness, and makes changes to the built-in mouse functionality.

GPD Pocket
201702509424711kei0mp.jpg

GPD Pocket is a mini laptop fitting in your pocket. Powered by Intel Atom X7-Z8750 Quad Core 1.6GHz ( up to 2.56GHz ) processor. Equipped with Intel HD Graphics GPU used in PC gaming and packed with 8GB RAM along with 128GB eMMC. The Pocket runs a full version of Windows 10 Home and the aforementioned I/O ports lets it do, in theory, anything a desktop PC can do. You can output display to an external monitor via USB-C at up to 4K resolution, and with USB-A and Bluetooth 4.1, you can pair or plug in a keyboard and mouse to complete the desktop experience.

More Support and Links
Reddit has a decent collection of info on all these devices, including benchmark and bug fixes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdxd/
https://www.reddit.com/r/GPDPocket/

GPD Discord
https://discord.gg/4VneYPr

The Phawx
A Old Gaffer who has come over here, He has a youtube channel with a bunch of videos on the GPD devices and others. He was also the hype man with bringing us info on the GPD Win 2 (Great video)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNpxh2vUm0kZJP_D6C4OMSA

How to get one?
Since these are overseas products, they have a certain amount of sites that carry them (although Im pretty sure Amazon may carry them now)

I usually use GeekBuying and bought all three devices from them with no issues. If you know where to get them cheaper, please let me know

https://www.geekbuying.com/category/Tablet-PCs---Accessories-971/

More Question and comments? Please let me know cause this is my first time doing ANYTHING like this

(ShoutOut to Wiki and the reddit pages for my info)

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very interested in the GPD Win 2. The first Win was a bit too weak for running indie games reliably well so hopefully the new processor will offer a tangible improvement.

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in the GPD Win 2. The first Win was a bit too weak for running indie games reliably well so hopefully the new processor will offer a tangible improvement.
Same here, I wanted to make this thread just due to the fact that the Win 2 is coming and discussing what we can really do with it (Game-wise)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I also hope the Win 2 will be less finicky. I like my Win but it takes quite a bit of driver and OS wrangling to get the most of it, and sometimes the drivers get a bit buggy. Regardless, great option to play some indie and even Dark Souls 2 on the go.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Same here, I wanted to make this thread just due to the fact that the Win 2 is coming and discussing what we can really do with it (Game-wise)

I have a large Steam backlog of 360-era games and a lot of indie titles that I would love to be able to play on the go. I can't wait for more news on the Win 2.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've heard reports about the device getting too hot on intense gaming.

Would that be the case as well for GPD Win2? I'd like to play Monster Hunter World on it if possible.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
GPD Win 2 design is disappointing. Lot of shiny plastic for an expensive device. Should be mate.

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard reports about the device getting too hot on intense gaming.

Would that be the case as well for GPD Win2? I'd like to play Monster Hunter World on it if possible.

I would say its get "warm" than hot but people have different reactions to it. Its alot like the Switch where the heat is depended on what exactly you are playing but there are safeguards in the device so its never in any danger. As for Monster hunter world on PC, its running the MT framework engine correct? Those games play well with the GPD usually but I can ask around and see how performance is on the first win (The win 2 is most likely going to be a 50% boost on the regular win )

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Woo been waiting for a thread here after over 200 posts in the thread on neogaf.
Just got a replacement battery from the manufacturer yesterday for my Win.
At least batteries directly from Sunda are plug and play with nothing needed.
I'm cutting out the plastic where the battery sits and am working on a copper bottom to space the battery a little away from the motherboard so theres a air gap and the battery isn't touching the motherboard and to provide some passive cooling for the battery.
Even using my usb-pd charger charging at 12v 1.58a with my Win idling the battery only reached 90F while the bottom of the motherboard was a toasty 120F so I'm hoping this will help improve the longevity of the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
Woo been waiting for a thread here after over 200 posts in the thread on neogaf.
Just got a replacement battery from the manufacturer yesterday for my Win.
mZbIpXR.jpg

At least batteries directly from Sunda are plug and play with nothing needed.
LNoPfRs.jpg

I'm cutting out the plastic where the battery sits and am working on a copper bottom to space the battery a little away from the motherboard so theres a air gap and the battery isn't touching the motherboard and to provide some passive cooling for the battery.
Even using my usb-pd charger charging at 12v 1.58a with my Win idling the battery only reached 90F while the bottom of the motherboard was a toasty 120F so I'm hoping this will help improve the longevity of the battery.
MJPIA! You are here! Its good to see you made it over

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pleased with what I'm seeing of the GPD Win 2. It'd be nice if GPD designed some grip accessories for the handhelds, to have them feeling like the Nvidia Shield ergonomically. I saw someone made a 3D printed grip for the Win 1. Right now I'm using a modified N3DSXL grip on mine.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up selling my Win due to overheating and found the erganomics to be dreadful, still using and loving my GPD XD and im keeping a eye out for the GPD Win 2.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
How are the buttons and sticks on this thing? I'm interested for indies, old Falcom games and emulation mainly so power's not that big a concern but if it's as mediocre as my Shield Portable in the controls department I won't bother.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
There's a post on GPD's Chinese forum with a image of the back of a dissasembled Win2 and something else that I can't decipher with machine translation.
Anyone here read Chinese that can make better sense of it?
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5393366586
汪总已经老用户群公开部分数据
王者荣耀专用机高通821带风扇
win2透露图
冒死上传贴吧,来鼓掌吧
Wang total has been the old user group open part of the data
king glorious dedicated machine Qualcomm 821 with fan
win2 revealed the
risk of death to upload it, to applaud it
U4bgQm5.jpg

HdLj4DY.jpg

Last I heard they threw out the work they had done on the clamshell XD2 and started fresh as a slider device then canceled that to focus on Windows devices and are supposed to release a improved XD called the XDS with a MTK hexa core and Android 7 so I dunno if that's it (I doubt it) or its something entirely different.
Its unfinished and you can see the bare shoulder buttons on top but Just one stick is so baffling.

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
How are the buttons and sticks on this thing? I'm interested for indies, old Falcom games and emulation mainly so power's not that big a concern but if it's as mediocre as my Shield Portable in the controls department I won't bother.
Not the greatest part of the device, but it is possible to fix with some modding I believe (the old thread had a bunch of people taking it apart and seeing what they can do)

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

It's to be seen how the GPD Win 2 improves things.

GPD Win 1, the sticks are more or less Vita sticks. D-pad and buttons are a little mushy and thin/flat. Shoulder buttons are nice and clicky.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
So that is the new XDS there which is meant for the Chinese market.

Yeah, but no exactly XD2 as we thought it waa going to be . A GPD dev told me that XD 2 was cancelled and they would release that deviuce shown in the photo, just a phone/tablet with a single joystick for MOBA chinese games. So unless further notice, what I heard is that XD 2 is cancelled, though XD upgraded model called XDS can be considered as an Xd 2 indeed. Strange decision but I suppose it's thought fdor chinese people, because one single joystick is just ridiculous.
So I guess with the success of GPD's Windows based devices we aren't gonna be seeing a clamshell andoid device.

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
So that is the new XDS there which is meant for the Chinese market.

So I guess with the success of GPD's Windows based devices we aren't gonna be seeing a clamshell andoid device.

That is actually upsetting
The GPD XD is super solid as a game device

The GPD Win is nice but its very quirky. I really enjoy the simplicity that the GPD XD has. its much quicker to set up and runs very cool no matter what (compared to the win anyway)

A GPD XD 2 would be interesting since the new Samsung phones can somewhat emulate dolphin now.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Are the specs for the Win 2 finalized? I'd like it if they keep a 720p screen, a Core M processor could be very capable at that resolution.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Well my battery swap and copper bottom mod seems to be a success.
Cut out the bottom to fit the battery & glue copper to the plastic bottom.
Install a teflon sheet to provide additional isolation of the battery from heat using motherboard screws & mount battery in place.
And there it is in its ugly form before I did some additional cleaning up of it.
Battery has a small air gap between it and the hot motherboard preventing direct heat transfer between them and giving the battery room to expand and contract, there's an teflon sheet to insulate it further from system heat and the copper bottom will act as a passive heat sink for the battery.

The bottom of mine (and thus the battery) were always quite hot and now even after letting the Win run furmark for half a hour the bottom didn't get more than lukewarm.
Hopefully this should prevent any future battery problems

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Sold my GPD Win since there was no way to order a new battery. It was pretty much set to be a paper weight after a couple of years

Mjdrama

Oct 27, 2017
I find GPD Win a little bit too unpowered to be usable to gaming. Some games are fine but some newer indie games like Dead cells wont run 60fps. I still use mine as a mini laptop with crappy keyboard, I take it everywhere with me, computer that really fits in my pocket. Its running Windows LSTB with shutup10 most services disabled and it is really fast and responsive.

Will definitely buy Win 2, so much potential with core-m.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread, I will be able to follow the news.

Depending on the price the GPD Win 2 looks mighty interesting for indie games.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess there was a bit of a misunderstanding given that the person who knew about what GPD was doing with the XD is not a native English speaker and that single stick device is not the XDS.
The xd upgraded model has a protoyype ready. Will Come with a mtk chipset and the same form factor as current xd. It's just a revision because rk3288 is being discontinued. So probably they release both things, though that moba device probably for chinese market only.
Rockchip have chosen to Focus on stb boxes, so the rk3399 is not available for tablets, that's why they decided to go for mtk. As far as i know, the proto of the upgraded XD use a mtk 8176, the same as Xiaomi mi pad 3, probably because of cost. I suppose the xd upgraded Will cost more or less the same as current one.
The XDS is going to have the same specs as the XD 2 they announced. So at least in specs can be considered an XD 2.
Its not the slider device they unveiled a while back and is just a revision but a clamshell XD2 is still coming at some point

I'll admit, despite knowing nothing about that one joystick device that will probably never be sold outside of China its kinda starting to grow on me.
I don't mind on-screen buttons but I hate touchscreen joysticks so if its compatible with all of the Android games I have it be pretty neat.

Razdek

Oct 27, 2017
GPD 2 needs to be a lot better than the first one to win me over as the first one was way under powered.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
GPD 2 needs to be a lot better than the first one to win me over as the first one was way under powered.

Thing that turned me off was it felt like an ergonomics nightmare at least having the GPD XD and the N3DSXL to compare on hand with the Vita from memory, it was horrible to use the triggers the XD funny enough felt better to use even tho I never really use them often. Plus it was hot to play for periods of time even with the fan on fullblast and playing smaller titles, gonna be interested in seeing how it goes its gonna be fighting for my purchase between a Switch next year.