• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I have 4 Titan X (Maxwells) that I've been thinking of dumping. Now seems like a good time to do it. How much could I get for them? I'm not familiar with crypto mining. Are Titan Xs good for it?

I'd be happy getting back MSRP for them considering it's been a couple of years.

EDIT: I looked into it and I don't think I can get back MSRP. These don't seem to be as good for mining. I could be looking at ~$700 for each card.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm debating on selling my 1080 ti and just re buying it later with these crazy prices. I was gonna upgrade Mobo, CPU, and Ram this year but I might as well wait it out and play on the PS4.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
I would think hardcore PC people won't immediately flock to PS4Pro/XBX but if this goes on for awhile I imagine there would be an impact eventually.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I would think hardcore PC people won't immediately flock to PS4Pro/XBX but if this goes on for awhile I imagine there would be an impact eventually.
Hoping it never comes to that myself as currently for me going to console will be a negative experience compared to my modest setup. Maybe the Ps/xbox next might be a better proposition but I rather just stick to what I got even if it ends up being for longer than I like.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never understood why people mine for bitcoins.
The more people who attempt to mine the smaller the rewards.
Might as well mine for job applications at this point.
You'll probably make more.

Hopefully this BC mining dies down some.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Never understood why people mine for bitcoins.
The more people who attempt to mine the smaller the rewards.
Might as well mine for job applications at this point.
You'll probably make more.

Hopefully this BC mining dies down some.
Because Bitcoins are worth a shitton of money. That said I really hope the complete cryptocurrency business will die down sooner rather than later. Not because I'm jealous of other people's money, but because it drives up the prices for GPUs to a near unobtainable level for the average consumer.

I paid 180€ for my GTX 1060. I wanted to upgrade to a 1080 some time in the future but it almost looks like I can forget about that because of cryptocurrency miners. It's saddening and frustrating.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck bitcoin mining and miners.

Look at this shit:

https://pcandparts.com/video-card/

This is the main importer of PC parts here, every graphic card worth a damn is out of stock since they say its not feasible to restock with these shit prices.

Even tho my brother got into the bitcoin craze (but for only around 300$) I hope the market crash and burns.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There can only be 21 Million Bitcoins, we're currently at aprox. 17 Million.
Means in the 1 or 2 years there are no Bitcoins left to mine.

Last edited:

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Can this become a bitcoin meme thread?

09DZsfs.jpg

when-you-use-kahfhl.jpg

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Please dear Lord. Let this crazyness end and put graphics cards and Ram prices back to normal so i can build my dream monster rig. Lord hear my prayer. Also Lord i do not wish to offend any miners in this post.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
It just occurred to me to wonder, what effect this could have on next gen consoles.

If still a thing ...

Get a third job?

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Can't Nvida make more is that in there plans? Or just gonna try and profit on this?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It just occurred to me to wonder, what effect this could have on next gen consoles.

If still a thing ...

Get a third job?
Neither Nvidia, AMD, nor the partner manufacturers are doing this. These price hikes are due to the sellers being greedy. They aren't content with having a product on their storefronts that sell well. They are price gouging because they know miners will pay it and completely ignoring their core customers.

It's rediculous. Nvidia and AMD should increase the price of their products for retailers that price gouge. As in, charge the retailers extra if they are actively alienating their core userbase and damaging their (Nvidia/AMD) brand.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Nvidia, AMD, nor the partner manufacturers are doing this. These price hikes are due to the sellers being greedy. They aren't content with having a product on their storefronts that sell well. They are price gouging because they know miners will pay it and completely ignoring their core customers.

It's rediculous. Nvidia and AMD should increase the price of their products for retailers that price gouge. As in, charge the retailers extra if they are actively alienating their core userbase and damaging their (Nvidia/AMD) brand.
Problem isn't even all retailers. It just happens the ones that charge a semblance of a normal price get all their products bought out by resellers.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
No real effect. They are getting chips directly from manufacturers. Main issue will be RAM prices messing things up.
I would have thought they'd still be affected by an inflation in real-world values for these things? To be completely clear, I mean next gen literally, as in PS5 etc. Existing manufacturing contracts and the RRPs for currently available products will realistically have to stay in place. But if consumer GPUs generally still cost double or triple when the next gen is being finalised, I can't see how that isn't a factor in the manufacturing costs and eventual RRPs ...

This is armchair stuff on my part, I should add.

Ah, this adds useful context for me, thank you.

I'm not on the market for a GPU (or a PS5!) but am curious. I had been hoping to build some kind of sexy rig some day in the not too distant future, so am remotely dismayed by all this.

I just wondered whether the pain of PC builders would eventually be felt by console buyers. But perhaps not, if it's the middle-men hiking the prices (at present)

Last edited:

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017

I'm all for Nvidia and AMD to release dedicated mining hardware and hardware lock dedicated gaming GPU's out of mining. To each his own product.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm all for Nvidia and AMD to release dedicated mining hardware and hardware lock dedicated gaming GPU's out of mining. To each his own product.

They did release mining specific cards. They still sell, but not as well as the gaming ones because they don't have good resale value. And as nice as it'd be for Nvidia and AMD to just have a "can't mine" switch they could flip, I don't see how that's possible. Miners are running code just like everybody else using a GPU for games to rendering to simulations. I don't see a way they could just intelligently block cards from being able to mine.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
They did release mining specific cards. They still sell, but not as well as the gaming ones because they don't have good resale value. And as nice as it'd be for Nvidia and AMD to just have a "can't mine" switch they could flip, I don't see how that's possible. Miners are running code just like everybody else using a GPU for games to rendering to simulations. I don't see a way they could just intelligently block cards from being able to mine.

Then we're fucked unless all board manufacturers increase their output, tho I doubt that is possible or that it would even make a difference.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
It gets harder and harder to mine, you're likely looking at over a 100 years.
Also it's not just bitcoin, there are other crypto currencies.

And every time a new cryptocurrency gets too pricey, a new one shows up. Ethereum was the most recent I know of that made waves, and they made sure GPU's were on the forefront of mining by making the calculations very RAM intensive rather than just being Processor intensive. That means ASICs either need to come with a crapload of expensive RAM built in going forward, or people just flood the GPU market as we've seen.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
RIP PC Gaming, until people find someway to do mining with consoles too

Remember Folding@Home ? Closest we got!

Im glad im more into current console gaming right now. Not the right time to upgrade a PC... i try to not even think about mining, cause, well.. first of all, the bubble is real. Second of all "If you are learning about it now, it's too late to get in", and any information i ever seen about Mining now just shows that the investment to get anything out of it right now, is not something casual joe can do "Maybe i can mine a bit with my old GPU" ...no. No you cannot. The energy cost alone will kill any output you got, Specially if you are saying "GPU" as in... singular.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I hope something like this can take the heat off the GPU market:

http://www.cryptotech.no/

Through the use of our brand new ASIC mining chip which is scheduled to enter production in April 2018 we will gain a enourmous competitive advantage over our competition. The Cryptotech CC 1250 x is currently the fastest and most energy efficient SHA256 ASIC chip in the world with a whopping 400+ GH/s per 3x3mm chip at a energy consumption of 0,0022J/GH.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Can't wait for this bullshit to crash. Just a matter of time. It literally has no value. Actual Monopoly money has more value.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS/Sony/Ninty will benefit most from this. I think governments need to start banning mining honstly - bitcoin must be the single most inefficient currency ever evented.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Ah, yeah that seems to make GPUs the way to go. Not to read up on all this crypto-stuff, so thanks for the info.

The site you linked in particular may be quite a bit more practical, but nobody is mining BTC with GPU's. It would take over a year of mining to get a single BTC at this point, probably a lot longer. But 1 TH/s is an insane amount of processing power, so odds are they actually can pull it off (most single GPU's will get you I want to say 30-60 MH/s, which is fine for the easy to get Currencies, but terrible for BTC).

Oct 26, 2017
It's RAM prices too. Which are currently insane. Looking at £200 for 16gb. I'm used to seeing RAM fluctuate but not like this. I'm fairly livid as was just about to start upgrading my PC I've put it off for years.

tbyte64

Dec 30, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this is actually great for gaming in the long term? Nvidia/AMD literally can't manufacture enough GPUs, this makes them a lot of money, money that they can invest into R&D and we get better tech going forward as a result.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Dedicated mining hardware exists, it's done nothing to stop miners from buying gaming cards. Locking mining out of gaming cards is unrealistic as all it would take is flashing the BIOS to mine anyway.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this is actually great for gaming in the long term? Nvidia/AMD literally can't manufacture enough GPUs, this makes them a lot of money, money that they can invest into R&D and we get better tech going forward as a result.

What's the point of tech that no one can buy because of bitcoin mining hoarders. And I doubt Nvidia is strapped for cash to invest in R&D anyway. Nvidia's incentive for innovation is never money, it's competition. Intel is sitting on a mountain of gold and haven't innovated much in years since AMD was no competition until Ryzen.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Nvidia itself doesn't agree. They stated in their last conference call that investors should not expect crypto mining to be a long-term source of increased profits. They have also been asking retailers to do what they can not to sell to miners and to sell to gamers instead. The difference is that gaming is a sustainable business, whereas the crypto boom clearly cannot last. They are worried their reliable customers will start leaving PC gaming due to the high prices.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If prices are up and people are selling, then what the hell are people replacing it with?

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Nvidia's fault for not supplying enough to meet demands and retailers being greedy. Crying about cryptocurrency and miners is ridiculous, they bought the GPUs, they can do what they want with them

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Heard that over 70% of the bitcoin was already mined. Strange to see this kind of thing right now... Maybe it's the gold rush all over again.

Also, let's put one year on that. If people that bought this shitton of GPU would barely made any money, I expect the prices going to the less than a half from their usual.

It's funny that I always thought that the bubble around the bitcoin would be because of the value of the assets and the lack of the ballast around them, and not the price of the tools.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Step 1 - write a UWP mining app for Xbone, targeted at X. It would have to work with regular Xbone to pass through the store though.

Step 2 - Then you buy 100 Xbone X and set up some sweet Etherium cluster.

Step 3 - Profit!