• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many here should love this report as it has some nice charts in it
bXxOJ1F.png

v8WZmoG.png

AZxd56x.png

agFPcK8.png

And much more insight at the actual PDF.
Give it a read...

source:
https://www.jonpeddie.com/images/uploads/The_Balance_of_Power_in_Gaming_2018_-_V4.pdf

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss their older Add in Board reports (although they're much less useful now due to cyptomining)

Combining AMD discrete GPUs w/ random console data is messy.

Oct 25, 2017
I am reading this right with the almost 3:1 difference between PS4 and XBO?

The 2018 numbers must be projections. Sony acknowledged over 70 million PS4s sold at the end of 2017 so there's no way they're already at nearly 100 million now, but by the end of 2018, that seems likely or at least possible.

But taking in recent trajectories of both consoles, it seems that a 3:1 ratio of PS4s to X1s could be in play by the end of 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
I am reading this right with the almost 3:1 difference between PS4 and XBO?

While the numbers seem reasonable, keep in mind A) it's an estimate for the year, and B) it's an estimate from a market research firm. Console makers aren't giving us real numbers but these could be off. By a lot.

It is funny to see how mobile devices are just another world compared to PC and console, although obviously the more important pie chart is how much each category grosses.
Still not a x86 CPU. That report has essential mistakes in it.

Market research firms not getting things right? Perish the thought!

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
That is quite an optimistic projection for the PS4 by the end of 2018 even if they are shipments.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, they added PS4 and XB1 to one up Nvidia for the year, but didnt add Switch because they are focusing on x86?

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So these are the most accurate Xbox sales figures we have now?

edit: Also the X360 doing 5M units in 2014, was this widely known / how did PS3 do?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
So, they added PS4 and XB1 to one up Nvidia for the year, but didnt add Switch because they are focusing on x86?
Yep, pretty much. They also included Mobile figures... for some reason.

The slide looks great though... 53% of gamers are gaming on AMD..

When consumers have the choice, they overwhelmingly choose Nvidia (rightfully pointed out by Sean Pelletier of Nvidia) and the Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home game console in history. Seems so odd to leave that out.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, pretty much. They also included Mobile figures... for some reason.

The slide looks great though... 53% of gamers are gaming on AMD..

When consumers have the choice, they overwhelmingly choose Nvidia (rightfully pointed out by Sean Pelletier of Nvidia) and the Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home game console in history. Seems so odd to leave that out.

Yeah. Kinda looks like they started off with the point they wanted to prove and then worked their way back from there.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Big error with the xbox 360 xo6 but interesting report and at least they understand the console market...

As of 2018, consoles have been sold for 46 years, and the current products represent eightgeneration
of the popular game machines. Clearly, there is a strong interest and following for the
devices, and as good as the PC is, and as popular as a tablet or smartphone is, they will not replace
the pleasure gamers get from a console.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
How are they separating PCs sold from gaming PCs sold?

I struggle to believe those PC numbers. It just seems they're counting every PC sold with a GPU, integrated or otherwise)—which is nonsense since the tens to 100s of millions of enterprise PCs Dell, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo and HP ship each year clearly aren't being used for gaming.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
How are they separating PCs sold from gaming PCs sold?

I struggle to believe those PC numbers. It just seems they're counting every PC sold with a GPU, integrated or otherwise)—which is nonsense since the tens to 100s of millions of enterprise PCs Dell, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo and HP ship each year clearly aren't being used for gaming.

No idea how they are calculating the numbers, but it doesn't include all sold PCs, both the ~440m install base in 2017 and the total revenue are too small for that.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what the last chart is supposed to mean. "Relative" to me would.mean percentage of the market share, but the units are in millions, and don't correspond to the annual sales in the chart above at all.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Consoles shouldn't even be in the total numbers. It's not like consumers chose to go with AMD over Nvidia.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
So they add X360 to AMD numbers, but forget to add PS3 and Switch to NVIDIA numbers? seriously?

And would you look at that table: NVIDIA has like 8 times the GPU numbers of AMD!

2ceq0zr.jpg