• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Brendan-Fraser.jpg

What Ever Happened To Brendan Fraser?

I thought this was an interesting interview with Fraser who has sort of become an enigma in recent years. Loads more at the link but I've highlighted some deeper parts.

His eyes are pale and a bit watery these days—less wide than they used to be when he was new to the screen, playing guys who were often new to the world. Blue-gray stubble around the once mighty chin, gray long-sleeve shirt draped indifferently over the once mighty body. I'm 35: There was a time when the sight of Fraser was as familiar to me as the furniture in my parents' house. He was in Encino Man and School Ties in 1992, Airheads in 1994, George of the Jungle in 1997, The Mummy in 1999. If you watched movies at the end of the previous century, you watched Brendan Fraser. And though his run as a leading man in studio films lasted to the end of this past decade, he's been missing, or at least somewhere off in the margins, for some time now. He was there on the poster, year after year, and then he wasn't, and it took him turning up in a supporting part in the third season of a premium-cable show, The Affair, for many of us to even realize that he'd been gone.

And so these synthetic flutes end up being the soundtrack to Fraser's story. He starts, uncharacteristically, at the beginning. Fraser's first acting job was in a 1991 film called Dogfight, starring River Phoenix and Lili Taylor. He played Sailor #1. "They gave me a sailor outfit, along with some other guys, and we did a punch-up scene with some Marines. And I got my Screen Actors Guild card and an extra 50 bucks for the stunt adjustment, 'cause they threw me into a pinball machine. I think I bruised a rib, but I was like: That's okay! I'll take it. I can do it again. If you want, I'll break it. You want me to do it again?"

Well, yes. This would become an on-screen signature of Fraser's: crashing into things. He was big and handsome in a broad, unthreatening way, and most important, he was game. In Encino Man, the film that helped turn him into a star, Fraser played a caveman recently freed from a block of ice in modern-day California; he likes to joke, or simply recount, that his audition consisted of wordlessly wrestling a plant. He had the unique quality of a man beholding the world for the first time, and directors began casting him as exactly that. For much of the 1990s, Fraser spent a lot of time emerging wide-eyed from bomb shelters (Blast from the Past) or Canada (Dudley Do-Right) or the rain forest (George of the Jungle), but he also took on more serious roles. In 1992, he starred with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Chris O'Donnell in the drama School Ties, as a Jewish scholarship quarterback fighting for his place at an elite, anti-Semitic boarding school. (This was a natural part, minus the religious dynamics, for Fraser, who grew up in a happy but peripatetic family—his father had a job in Canada's office of tourism—and enrolled in a new school practically every other year.)

He remade Bedazzled, with Elizabeth Hurley, in 2000. Did MonkeyBone and a Mummysequel, The Mummy Returns, in 2001. Looney Toons: Back in Action, 2003. And on it went—in retrospect, far beyond where Fraser wanted it to go. "I believe I probably was trying too hard, in a way that's destructive," Fraser says now. The films, in addition to having diminishing returns, were causing a physical toll: He was a big man doing stunts, running around in front of green screens, going from set to set. His body began to fall apart. "By the time I did the third Mummy picture in China," which was 2008, "I was put together with tape and ice—just, like, really nerdy and fetishy about ice packs. Screw-cap ice packs and downhill-mountain-biking pads, 'cause they're small and light and they can fit under your clothes. I was building an exoskeleton for myself daily." Eventually all these injuries required multiple surgeries: "I needed a laminectomy. And the lumbar didn't take, so they had to do it again a year later." There was a partial knee replacement. Some more work on his back, bolting various compressed spinal pads together. At one point he needed to have his vocal cords repaired. All told, Fraser says, he was in and out of hospitals for almost seven years.

When his episodes of The Affair began airing, in late 2016, Fraser was asked to give his first interview in years, for AOL's YouTube channel. It is an uncomfortable watch. Fraser seems morose and sad; for much of it, he speaks in a near whisper. The video went viral. In the months that followed, theories sprang up about what ailed him, focusing on his 2009 divorce and the fact that two franchises he'd once starred in, The Mummy and Journey to the Center of the Earth, had been rebooted and recast without him.

As it turns out, what was behind the sad Brendan Fraser meme was…sadness. His mother had died of cancer just days before the interview. "I buried my mom," Fraser says. "I think I was in mourning, and I didn't know what that meant." He hadn't done press in a while; suddenly he was sitting on a stool in front of an audience, promoting the third season of a show he'd barely been on. "I wasn't quite sure what the format was. And I felt like: Man, I got fucking old. Damn, this is the way it's done now?"

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Fraser making cameo appearances in Paulie Shore movies while eating something was a running joke for a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Universal needs to get his ass and just make Mummy 4

(even that would have been a better launch place for a cinematic universe)

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It took me a while to even recognize him in The Affair, but his work there makes me think he has a real future (if he wants it) in more serious roles. He'd be perfect for a season of Fargo or some such.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly miss seeing the guy in movies. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are the best Indiana Jones movies since Last Crusade

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what happened? He lost his hair, had a few bombs - there's a pretty good youtube that talks about this:

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I want my Airheads sequel, dammit. Sounds like something Sandler and, by association, Buscemi might be up for.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Those first two mummy movies are amazing.

And then he was in the Journey movie which then Dwayne took over. Sigh.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blast from the Past is an amazingly underrated feel good movie. It also stars Christopher Walken, Sissy Spacek and Alicia Silvertone. The trailer is VERY '90 but the movie is incredibly quotable and funny.

I think it's on netflix

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Encino man will always be one of my top ten movies. Wow i am blind I did not realize he has blue eyes all these years.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked Fraser. Had no idea he was so banged up from the stunt work.

Blast from the Past is an amazingly underrated feel good movie. It also stars Christopher Walken, Sissy Spacek and Alicia Silvertone. The trailer is VERY '90 but the movie is incredibly quotable and funny.

I think it's on netflix

Absolutely; Blast from the Past was great.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it doesn't seem like the movie business did him any good judging by this article. Almost makes me feel guilty for watching some of his flicks.

Oct 27, 2017
Always liked the guy. I feel like there was a change in the type of white guy Hollywood wanted for a bit of time. It went from handsome, goofy funny guys to wooden bland Australian guys(I'm looking at you Sam worthington)

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
He should lay low for a couple of more years... do some indie films... then talk to Quentin Tarantino to cast him in a movie (if QT is still doing movies by then).

He still has name recognition. He can do a comeback.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
I must have watched Airheads on Comedy Central 50 plus times. For awhile it seemed like the only movie they had rights to.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never understand the fascination online with him.

People and articles go on like he was an A list actor in a series of critically acclaimed films.

He seems like a nice fella but, whats the deal?

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
If it hadn't been for the JUST meme, I would honestly have forgotten about his existence. But in that, he lives on.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yea i liked him a lot, the mummy is one of my favorite movies of all time as a light hearted popcorn flick

Oct 25, 2017

People and articles go on like he was an A list actor in a series of critically acclaimed films.

He was pretty much everywhere for a good portion of peoples' childhoods or formative years. The Mummy, Encino Man, George of the Jungle, etc. weren't A-list stuff, but they were fun and people grew up with them. He also was just a big goofy dude that people enjoyed watching on-screen, and then he just up and basically disappears and when he does turn up, it looks like the entire universe just took a shit on him. People want to know what happened to him.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He was pretty much everywhere for a good portion of peoples' childhoods or formative years. The Mummy, Encino Man, George of the Jungle, etc. weren't A-list stuff, but they were fun and people grew up with them. He also was just a big goofy dude that people enjoyed watching on-screen, and then he just up and basically disappears and when he does turn up, it looks like the entire universe just took a shit on him. People want to know what happened to him.

Can say this about about a ton of people. But i get what you mean.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He should lay low for a couple of more years... do some indie films... then talk to Quentin Tarantino to cast him in a movie (if QT is still doing movies by then).

He still has name recognition. He can do a comeback.

Yeah, I was about to say some variation of this. It just feels like he gets a QT comeback or maybe a big, successful leading sitcom role at some point. It's just a hunch, but there's something about his nostalgia and recognition combined with his strengths (comic timing especially) that is going to make him land something big and turn things around later.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Pure nostalgia.

He's fine, likeable, whatever. He was in a bunch of movies which range from light hearted kids adventure to just stupid garbage. He had a good career, and now he's too old to do what he used to do. There's no tragedy.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
He's a legitimately good actor. It's sad that he's become so disenfranchised from the industry; he always looks so depressed in more recent interviews.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, hate to hear about his mom. Time's arrow and all.

Hope he makes a comeback, if that's what he wants.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
As interesting as it is reading him recounting his career, I think there's a really big part of the article that warrants highlighting in the OP in case people don't click through:

Certain pieces of what he tells me have already been told, it turns out—but this is the first time he's ever spoken publicly about any of it. The story he wants to relay took place, he says, in the summer of 2003, in the Beverly Hills Hotel, at a luncheon held by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the organization that hosts the Golden Globes. On Fraser's way out of the hotel, he was hailed by Philip Berk, a former president of the HFPA. In the midst of a crowded room, Berk reached out to shake Fraser's hand. Much of what happened next Berk recounted in his memoir and was also reported by Sharon Waxman in The New York Times: He pinched Fraser's ass—in jest, according to Berk. But Fraser says what Berk did was more than a pinch: "His left hand reaches around, grabs my ass cheek, and one of his fingers touches me in the taint. And he starts moving it around." Fraser says that in this moment he was overcome with panic and fear.

There's a lot more in there worth reading after that paragraph that I'm surprised isn't made a bigger deal out of in the article header.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was there a reason outside of his own pride why he didn't opt for stuntmen? Or he just enjoyed it but didn't have the foresight about how badly it would all add up one day?

Status
Not open for further replies.