PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
The fuck is a tier 1.5 store
It should be a bigger GameStop store typically found in a city with a "medium" to large population and thus they get more foot traffic and sales.

In my town I think it's only a 1.0 store.

Didn't Microsoft buy into gamestop a bit at some point in the last year to partner with them? I wonder if this is related
My friend works at GameStop and from what he told me is that Xbox will be getting a larger display than PS or Nintendo and that it will be in the front of the store I think. The other main thing is that employee will also be given Microsoft Surface tablets that they will use to help customers, which is a nice idea seeing how they can be used to show a quick video about a video game and stuff like that. Which is nice seeing how not everyone always has very fast internet on their phone to look that up.

There have already been a number of changes to GameStop over the years. I remember that back in 2016 or so GameStop was still selling PC hardware. They were selling stuff like the GTX 970, or they at least had display boxes for it. But that was the last that I saw of that.

My GameStop would have it's small PC section where you would also see stuff like the Steam machines being advertised (that didn't last very long) but after that it would mostly be HTC Vive stuff and a small selection of PC boxed games. For the last 2 years my store didn't even have a PC section and that stuff they would just keep in the drawer unless you asked for it.

Other changes that I remember hearing about include GameStop getting rid of the big TV that they have playing? I can't remember if they were going to get rid of it or if they are just going to move it to another location in the store, but the MS Surface tablets does make it seem like they wouldn't need the TV anymore.

Now as for the 1.5 store stuff I have already seen some of this. Like I said in my town it's a 1.0 store, so there is a section for gaming keyboard and mics and stuff. I guess since they are still transitioning with the new game consoles that they now have more open space to display more gaming mics and controllers.

Mine while the store a town over is a 1.5 and some of the big differences is that they have gaming monitors. I didn't ask that store if they did had the monitors in stock but my friend told me about that these changes and they do seem to be taking place. There were at least display boxes for the gaming monitor.

Special Order as in, items that the company has in their distribution centers but not in store due to lack of space or sales volume. This is not a foreign concept. Additionally, if it is an item that they do not have in stock, then the customer wouldn't be able to order it in store. This is how it works now with GameStop's "Web-in-Store" system. I never suggested that they could pull unobtainable items out of thin air.

I thought what they were talking about is how can GameStop expect to even have any stock at all, when all of the other major stores like Best Buy and Newegg are having issues just having the item available online at all

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live 10 minutes away from a Micro Center and have been to multiple ones, GS can't compete with that.(Also there is a microcenter in virtually every major US metro, besides the west coast, so they aren't super rare, not GS common, but they are also much bigger than GS)

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Closest microcenter is 4hrs away and I've been to it ONCE. it's like what frys used to be. I'd love to have something like that local to me. More b&m stores that stock pc hardware sounds good to me šŸ¤·šŸ¼

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It would be nice if this could be true, Best Buy has a pathetic computer components assortment and Microcenter is like a Walmart Supercenter of everything so it would be nice to have a middle ground with more of a gaming lean. Mainly as a place to trade in/up hardware.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at using WSB as a source

These people make up pretty much anything to pump a certain stock they have

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I live 10 minutes away from a Micro Center and have been to multiple ones, GS can't compete with that.(Also there is a microcenter in virtually every major US metro, besides the west coast, so they aren't super rare, not GS common, but they are also much bigger than GS)

That's a bit of an exaggeration. A total of one store between California and Florida. I live in southern Florida and the nearest one is like over 500 miles away.

They've got a total of 25 stores, and it's more like clusters. 4 in New York City. 2 in Atlanta. It seems like it's pretty common. If you get one, you get a couple. So it actually covers way less than if they'd have spread this out between 25 metro areas.

Fact is, most people don't live any where near a Microcenter.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit of an exaggeration. A total of one store between California and Florida. I live in southern Florida and the nearest one is like over 500 miles away.

They've got a total of 25 stores, and it's more like clusters. 4 in New York City. 2 in Atlanta. It seems like it's pretty common. If you get one, you get a couple. So it actually covers way less than if they'd have spread this out between 25 metro areas.

Fact is, most people don't live any where near a Microcenter.
I mean, NYC, LA, Chicago and Houston are the 4 largest metros in the US and all have at least one location. Then you add Detroit, Denver, Atlanta, Philly and Columbus etc and most of the top 20 metro areas are covered. So maybe not every top metro has a location, but a large percentage do.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
from wsb, seriously?

Business are booming so we are closing stores.

GameStop has way too many stores. Closing underperforming ones was inevitable long before the company hit financial struggles. This isn't really relevant to them carrying PC hardware either. It's just another revenue stream.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
There is certainly a market for PC gaming enthusiasts, just as there is for Fortnite Monopoly boards and One Piece figures. But there will never be enough demand to keep 6 thousand storefronts around.