• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Gamerant article here

The crux of the issue is that while yes, Gran Turismo 7 will feature a classic GT Campaign mod where individual players will tour properly across Europe in a grand journey, there's a frustrating requirement attached to it. Yamauchi confirms in a Gran Turismo 7 blog post that the racing game's GT Campaign mode will require a persistent internet connection in order to play. In other words, GT Campaign is an online-onlysingle-player mode.

Surely this isn't still a big deal in 2021 is it?

Disconnect me if old. Searched and didn't find anything

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Personally I'm ok with online components but this is a problem for those who like discs/local game preservation and even in 2021 some people still don't have unlimited, fast or reliable broadband.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
What others have asked: why does a single player mode require always-online?

This is the reason I don't play Nintendo's mobile games after trying a couple of times.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda thought no one was really trying to do this any more. I'm not particularly interested in single player games with a constant internet connection requirement.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
There are two main problems I have with it:

1. While it might not require a particularly fast connection just to synchronize with the servers, your game needs the be fully patched in order to do so. And those patches can be quite large.

2. Game preservation. Imagine if you couldn't play previous entries in the series anymore because they relied on servers that would've been shut down after 5 or so years. I very much enjoy my ability to still revisit GT4, and if GT7 is good I'd want the same ability to revisit it a decade or two after its initial release.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh

What the fuck were they thinking? What a dumb decision. I didn't mind it as much for Sport cause it is focused on MP but GT7? This is really dumb.

Reverse this shit Sony.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
It was like this in gt sport and after almost 1600 hours of playing that i remember 1 time where i had issue with it.
And for the reasoning, its probably because in older gt's you could "cheat" to get all the cars easily, now with this solution this is impossible. The carpg element is the biggest of the game so they are trying to secure it. Is this the best solution, nope. Can i understand why they do it, sure. Would i like to see it differently yeah. But i had 1 time i remember that it was annoying. Rest of the time it works perfectly. So i can somehow kinda forgive them for it, but can understand other people can't.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna wait and see why it requires to be always online. Don't really have enough information about the campaign at this point

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Same with GT Sport. Without being connected, you can't do the campaign at all, you're limited to playing arcade mode and time trials - without being able to save anything.

When they turn the servers off (they turned off the GT6 servers after just five years) it'll be a dead game. Unless they patch in some end-of-life stuff you won't be able to save your game or play anything outside of time trials and the basic arcade races.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
As said on the other thread:

This is probably be related to the contract Polyphony has with FIA. In GT Sport it is mandatory to have an always connection to avoid any kind of modification in the saves and other things like cheating in the lap times and so on. With the online championships being officially recognized by the FIA and with all progress being saved in the cloud, Polyphony can check if a user actually followed their rules for a certain race.

I believe they could do two different modes (offline and Sport/Online), but progression wouldn't be shared.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same with GT Sport. Without being connected, you can't do the campaign at all, you're limited to playing arcade mode and time trials - without being able to save anything.

When they turn the servers off (they turned off the GT6 servers after just five years) it'll be a dead game. Unless they patch in some end-of-life stuff you won't be able to save your game or play anything outside of time trials and the basic arcade races.
If they actually patch it, I might be begrudgingly okay with this. Strong emphasis on IF.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I wonder why. While less of a problem as most people are constantly online, games should be offline except for online modes (multiplayer, leaderboards etc)

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
As said on the other thread:

This is probably be related to the contract Polyphony has with FIA. In GT Sport it is mandatory to have an always connection to avoid any kind of modification in the saves and other things like cheating in the lap times and so on. With the online championships being officially recognized by the FIA and with all progress being saved in the cloud, Polyphony can check if a user actually followed their rules for a certain race.

I believe they could do two different modes (offline and Sport/Online), but progression wouldn't be shared.
Alternatively, they could give the user the option of whether to share progression between offline and online. If the user wants to share progress, then require an always-online connection. Otherwise, let those of us who just wanna play offline do so.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
"Hey guys what if we put an undefined but conclusive expiration date on the game we want people to pay $70 for?"

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Do cars earned from the campaign carry over to the Sport/Online modes? That's the only way it would make sense to me (Outside of updates), otherwise if Sport has it's own unlocks, etc then it's nonsense.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Just why. I won't ever play the online mode. Never. Shit it's not even available for everyone since it's locked behind a paywall.
Does this mean the campaign progression is tied to the online one? Disgusting.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
They probably just want to be able to kill the game whenever they want... Just to force you buy the next one.

This is pure greed.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Alternatively, they could give the user the option of whether to share progression between offline and online. If the user wants to share progress, then require an always-online connection. Otherwise, let those of us who just wanna play offline do so.

I would't be angry about two separate modes. Older GT games had carreer and arcade modes in different discs. But the Sport/Online mode would have to be heavily modified from what we have now with GT Sport. And I can see a lot of people being pissed that a car owned on offline mode can't be used on online.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, this might just keep me from buying the game. I don't have ps plus, so I won't even be playing online, so single player is all I care about. GT campaigns are really long, and are the type of games I play over the whole console generation. Why would I buy a game that will stop working before I can finish it?

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
We're really acting like a 'online always' single player component isn't a big deal? Forza it is then.