• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok that makes more sense.

Still though, "we have to make the campaign always online or our money making scheme doesn't work" isn't winning me over.

Oh no, I don't see any good reason for it. Even Forza Horizon lets you play offline, and those games have super online-centric gameplay for its single player modes.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
how can they sell physical copies of this game and expect this is ok in a mostly single player game

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
So pretty much when (not if) servers go down, this campaign will no longer be playable.

Certainly makes me want to drop $70

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid.I mean I know why they are likely doing it...but there has to be a better way to do it.
Exactly what I was thinking. There's got to be a way to keep online integrity without fucking over your paying customers once the servers go offline.

Forza is able to segregate the online and campaign why cant GT?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Very much a big deal even in 2021. As others have stated, the reliability in Internet services across the world is no where near what it needs to be for complete online-only gaming or other products. Hell, our bogan "NBN" Internet infrastructure in Australia barely provides adequate network functionality, let alone the rural remote options I have available. With projects like Starlink you will definitely see an uptick in improved connectivity, but that takes time and money.

Gosh I hope Starlink hurries up and arrives for me, sick of NBN SkyMuster providing amazing 800 pings.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I remember so many online-only games flopping due to nonfunctional servers at launch like Drive Club & Outriders. Granted, unlike those games, PD has been working on this title for many yrs but still- I'm gonna wait and see.

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
So stupid, why would the campaign need an always online connection.... this is unreasonable at this point. Make the SP portion fully offline FFS. I was excited for this game but now......eh.

Oct 27, 2017
That's really unfortunate because they have a dogshit history of disabling online features of their games right after a new version comes out.

GT6 died FAST. Not the way the last hurrah of the PS3 should've gone out IMO; without the daily online login multiplier winning any significant funds in campaign is impossible so even though it works it's fairly useless as a game without an already completed save.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I can't think of a single game where always online has prevented me from playing or presented any sort of issue. Hopefully the game will have some nice connected features.

When the servers go offline, which will be many years from now, I'm sure they can push a patch to make the game playable offline. Most everybody will have moved on to the next game by then anyway.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is an issue. By the time the servers are shut off Gran Turismo 9 will be out.

This is my thought too. I have zero inclination to load up any GT before GT Sport. Once 7 hits, I'll be playing that. Once 7 servers are shut down, I'll move to GT 8. I don't have a problem with this.

Why is the fact that you are forced to spend more money to buy another game because they effectively take the game away from you an acceptable and reasonable thing for a company to make this a non issue in your eyes? Someone shouldn't be forced to buy another copy of a game. Plus that doesn't even begin to factor in the content of future iterations won't be the same as previous games, so even if you were to pay for the next iteration, maybe they don't have the content you enjoyed from a previous version such as certain cars.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Why is the fact that you are forced to spend more money to buy another game because they effectively take the game away from you an acceptable and reasonable thing for a company to make this a non issue in your eyes? Someone shouldn't be forced to buy another copy of a game. Plus that doesn't even begin to factor in the content of future iterations won't be the same as previous games, so even if you were to pay for the next iteration, maybe they don't have the content you enjoyed from a previous version such as certain cars.

Well it hasnt bothered me in 20 years of buying sequels to games, so I don't think it suddenly will with this one. Especially something like a sim racer where its kind of the same game with better graphics each time.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Well it hasnt bothered me in 20 years of buying sequels to games, so I don't think it suddenly will with this one. Especially something like a sim racer where its kind of the same game with better graphics each time.
I feel like that's rather reductive. Perhaps it's true enough for sports games where maybe the only new content might be updated team rosters, but when it comes to racing games, tracks are arguably the star of the show and don't always carry forward between entries. There are several tracks throughout GT's history that are stuck in time, and it's nice to be able to go back and revisit them.

As an extreme example, imagine if Forza Horizon games had expiration dates. Like yeah, FH6 will probably be great... but its world, wherever it winds up being set, cannot be considered a substitute for FH1-5's. Surely you can understand that someone might want to specifically drive around in FH5's Mexico setting, even if we've got Forza Horizon 10: The Japan Rumors Were Real This Time?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest issue with this is how fast Sony turns off their servers for games. It better be possible to patch in an offline mode later.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Forza Horizon is a good comparison. I quite enjoy playing FH3 even though I have FH4 and soon will have FH5.

I also like playing various versions of say Outrun and other Arcade racers. None of this will be possible with GT7.

Feb 9, 2018
Well, hard pass from me, then. Multiplayer modes I can understand. Aside from Nintendo, very few companies support local offline MP. But there's no reason why a single-player mode needs to require an internet connection to function

If your internet goes out, or the game's servers go down, or PSN goes down, you won't be able to play. It also means the game itself is essentially guaranteed to stop working one day regardless of the physical condition of the game & system. Once Sony pulls the plug on it, that's it. And since it's a racing game using licensed cars, that means it could last only a few years, seeing as GT6 only lasted for four years before reaching "end of service" (MS also pulls the plug on the online parts of Forza games after a few years, and stops selling them digitally).

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like that's rather reductive. Perhaps it's true enough for sports games where maybe the only new content might be updated team rosters, but when it comes to racing games, tracks are arguably the star of the show and don't always carry forward between entries. There are several tracks throughout GT's history that are stuck in time, and it's nice to be able to go back and revisit them.

As an extreme example, imagine if Forza Horizon games had expiration dates. Like yeah, FH6 will probably be great... but its world, wherever it winds up being set, cannot be considered a substitute for FH1-5's. Surely you can understand that someone might want to specifically drive around in FH5's Mexico setting, even if we've got Forza Horizon 10: The Japan Rumors Were Real This Time?
Hell, there's a reason I keep sports titles (I don't buy them every year though)--at some point, the Vancouver Grizzlies will be in Memphis, I want to re-live the heyday of certain teams, and in the case of the NCAA games, they stopped making them, on top of some modes (specifically the awesome Jordan mode in 2K11 that lets you plug MJ in a current team) not being present every year.

On the topic of Forza, I wanted a Series X specifically so I can use my FH2 disc and putz around Nice, which I can't do as I didn't buy the digital version so only have the disc.

So they kinda have expiration dates, digitally anyway.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
So in 10 year when gt8 is out they might shut down these servers? Why do we worry so much about something so far away? When you know there will be a new game anyway.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So in 10 year when gt8 is out they might shut down these servers? Why do we worry so much about something so far away? When you know there will be a new game anyway.

Why is this considered a non issue when the solution is you need to buy another game to fix it?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It's a move on to the next big thing industry. Like cell phones. Am I going to be pissed my I phone 4 doesn't work In 5 years? No, it's expected.

Rendering something obsolete for no good reason other than the fact that it has a count down timer for the lifespan isn't a good argument. Someone shouldn't be forced to buy someone new when the product still functions and building a kill switch to stop that functionality so that the person is now forced to buy another one to continue isn't something we should be okay with either. So the suggestion of the company decided it was time for you to buy another copy to continue should not be considered a non issue.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'd like some examples of past single player games that no longer work solely because they required an internet connection at the time.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

Welp, there goes the slim chance that the online requirement wouldn't actually be that bad… I wasn't optimistic, but the apparent lack of a connection indicator in the menu gave me the tiniest bit of hope. But I guess this seals the deal, I'll be picking this one up used in 2024. Who knows, maybe I'll even have a PS5 by then.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I'd like some examples of past single player games that no longer work solely because they required an internet connection at the time.

Darkspore.jpg

No longer playable since server shut down in 2016.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Why does anybody care about cheating during a single player game?

This was one of my most anticipated games for this year (which got delayed til next year). I spent over a thousand hours on GT3 alone back in the PS2 days. I was a big fan of the series. But now the game might as well not exist for me.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The impression I'm getting, is that you earn credits and XP for your profile across both single player and multiplayer. Having cheats essentially enabled ruins the integrity of fair online play.

Same cars, same parts, just your skills and setup mastery, mono-type races (if needed).
Money or time wasting to earn virtual credits/unlock a car shouldn t play a part, otherwise it s pay to win.

If you fear cars base stats could be altered by hacking a save... the online mode would override any local base stat anyway for a race.

Nah, to me, it s just to ensure people have to buy MTX if they want any acceleration in their progress.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Why does anybody care about cheating during a single player game?

This was one of my most anticipated games for this year (which got delayed til next year). I spent over a thousand hours on GT3 alone back in the PS2 days. I was a big fan of the series. But now the game might as well not exist for me.
Honestly, cheating in a single-player game is even worse than cheating in multiplayer.

I mean seriously, how dare people...

*checks GT4 pnach file*

...boot their games with 480p output enabled?!

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017

Off the top of my head, Batman Arkham Asylum's original PC release doesn't work now since the GWL servers shutdown years ago. Might and Magic X stopped being playable after UBIsoft shut down their DRM servers this year.

This is going to be a common thing now that most games have online DRM checks, cloud-only saves, and online content. It is naive to think that publishers will pay a team to rework every single game to be playable offline or remove DRM, especially for games that most of the playerbase has moved on. Game preservation doesn't generate revenue for these companies.

With the more recent console generations this will increasingly become a bigger thing as time passes and servers start to be decommissioned.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Fuck this.

I am willing to abandon multiplayer if I have to. Give me the option to never play MP but have the ability to use my save offline.

Sony for fuck sake, stop being dumb.
Seriously, I would 100% be down for an option to permanently opt out of multiplayer functionality if it meant I could enjoy the game offline.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Seriously, I would 100% be down for an option to permanently opt out of multiplayer functionality if it meant I could enjoy the game offline.

The very same, i do so in all games that have the option. I decline terms of service and play offline, so i can mod my games, explore, change, restore cut content etc.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
From the Eurogamer interview with Yamauchi:

Kazunori Yamauchi: In regards to Gran Turismo and car culture - car culture is something that has been continuing for the last 150 years or so. It's our mission to preserve these cars in a drivable state in a big museum format. And of course, we include cars like the Taycan and Tesla. But I think our mission first and foremost is to preserve the entirety of this great car culture that we have today for the future generations to come.

We were talking about preservation here due to the online connectivity. It directly contradicts the game's mission according to the director himself.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
From the Eurogamer interview with Yamauchi:

We were talking about preservation here due to the online connectivity. It directly contradicts the game's mission according to the director himself.
LMAO.

I don't see how online only is going to stop people from cheating. Cheaters always find a way, this is just fucking over their single player campaign fanbase. If it's not possible they need to rethink their design philosophy because this doesn't seem to be an issue with Forza Motorsport or Horizon. This just seems like a way to get extra monetization so people have to buy cars on their store instead of grind credits.

I have moved over to Forza MS and Horizon since GT Sport's release and this shit is kinda cementing my choice. They aren't the same but I guess they will have to do now. It sucks since I have loved GT since the PSX days. :(