• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole lot more info than what I quoted in each link, so be sure to read the full interview if you're curious for more.

www.eurogamer.net

The big Gran Turismo 7 interview

Gran Turismo is back. Not that it's ever been away, of course - Gran Turismo Sport released towards the end of 2017, pr…

One other point of clarity I wanted to make was about dynamic time and weather, which wasn't a part of Gran Turismo Sport.

Kazunori Yamauchi:
In GT7, the time and weather will be moving in real time.

That's all good news to me. The recent blog post said something about Gran Turismo having a different approach to the weather system and how it works. I wonder if you could talk through a bit more about how dynamic weather works in Gran Turismo 7 - does it impact track surface temperature, if there's a dynamic track, does it rubber in over the course of an event?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
We don't have a system for simulating the amount of rubber that's laid on the track, but we do have a simulation of where the rain would create a level of water over the track. When a car passes over it, it will spray aside, and so the racing lines will dry quicker than the other parts of the track. That's something that is simulated and does affect the grip of the course accordingly as time goes on, and the track begins to dry in different places. The air temperature, the humidity, and then the road surface temperature will also be affected by these weather changes as well.

This is a cross platform game as well, which I imagine is quite a big undertaking. Will PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions have feature parity - will things like the dynamic time and weather be a part of both versions?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
Feature wise, they will be the same, but the quality that you'll be seeing will be different.

www.gtplanet.net

New Gran Turismo 7 Details: PS4 vs PS5, Driving Physics, GT Cafe, and More Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

A week on from the big Gran Turismo 7 reveal and launch date announcement, GTPlanet got the chance to sit down with Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi for an extensive one-on-one interview on the latest title. Although there was plenty of information to dig through after the grand unve

"More Natural" Driving Physics
Advancements in driving physics and car handling are always top-of-mind when new Gran Turismo games come along, but it's something that we haven't heard much about from official sources yet. Although he did not go into specifics, Yamauchi made it clear that there have been advancements in this area.

"In terms of physics, of course, it is something in the game that we have been evolving for the last 25 years. In GT7, I think you'll find the precision has increased. I also think you'll feel it to be more natural, even more-so than in GT Sport," he explained.

Yamauchi also revealed that some of the best Gran Turismo players in the world have helped Polyphony Digital to help refine the physics engine in GT7. "Now we have new people like Igor Fraga and Mikhail Hizal joining the family. We have feedback from them that has been very useful in tuning that."

"Car Customization
Old-school Gran Turismo players will remember the wildly popular "Racing Modification" tuning option found in GT1 and GT2 — and to a smaller extent in GT5 — and many were hoping to see it return for GT7. Although it will go by a different name in the latest title, Yamauchi acknowledged that car tuning and modification is a clear nod to the series' past.

"We'll have aerodynamic parts available and of course you'll be able to apply wide-body kits to cars, so you'll be able to get that same sort of race modifications that we had in the original GT1. You can add roll cages as well now," Yamauchi revealed.

Car tuning is one aspect that Yamauchi is eager to share with long-time fans of the franchise. "It's really fun to play around with. You could spend a whole day just in the setting screen for a car," he said."

game.watch.impress.co.jp

「グランツーリスモ7」クリエイター山内一典氏インタビュー 「『GT7』は『GT SPORT』を“含んでいる”」。すべてのクルマ好きに贈るシリーズ集大成

レースゲームという枠を超え、ドライビングシミュレーターの代表格として世界に名を轟かせている「グランツーリスモ」シリーズ。近作ではカーライフシミュレーターとしての側面を強く打ち出し、レースだけでない、クルマが持つ多彩で多様な楽しみ方を提案し、カーカルチャーの担い手として孤高の存在感を放っている。

――I'm looking forward to implementing ray tracing, but on the other hand, what game fans are interested in is where ray tracing can be used because it is very heavy processing.

Mr. Yamauchi:
For the time being, you can choose ray tracing in the replay even during the game, and then you can see the stage demo and the picture with ray tracing applied in the garage.

Last edited:

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I hope "more natural" physics means "the cars don't feel completely stiff". I don't know what it is about GT but the games in that series I have played have always felt too sterile and rigid.

Oct 29, 2017
So similarly to FH5, ray tracing is replay only?

Weren't ray tracing. The trailer that implied self-reflection in-race?

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
This game is gonna be HUGE, the whole GT history condensed in one game and more.

This is the Smash Bros Ultimate of racing games.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
I don't understand, Raytracing is only in the replay and not in the game? My English may have its limits ...

Car damage physics is a bit better than Gran Turismo Sport, right?

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great! The part about ray tracing is a little disappointing but expected. We'll probably see it implemented in a PS5 exclusive GT8.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, Raytracing is only in the replay and not in the game? My English may have its limits ...

Car damage physics is a bit better than Gran Turismo Sport, right?

Yeah, raytracing is replay only.

It sounds like car damage is basically the same, only with some minor changes.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hallig_Hooge%2C_Germany%2C_view_from_the_Backenswarft.jpg

IN!!!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
For the time being, you can choose ray tracing in the replay even during the game, and then you can see the stage demo and the picture with ray tracing applied in the garage.

So raytracing isn't actually active while racing, the same as FH5? Just replays and in the garage?

The "even during the game" bit is confusing me, but I assume it's a rough translation.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"We found that we were able to make a PS4 version and a PS5 version without dropping any quality, so that's why we decided to do both at the same time."

That ...uhm... doesn't speak for the PS5 version to be honest. :D

We also asked Yamauchi about GT7's possible support for 8K resolution or 120Hz refresh rates on the PlayStation 5, but he was not able to comment on that functionality yet.

What a dumb thing to even ask about. 🙄

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the fact that RT is only for replay, also the required connection and no VR for now...

It feels like a GT Sport Director's Cut, I will pass at launch

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
This game is gonna be HUGE, the whole GT history condensed in one game and more.

This is the Smash Bros Ultimate of racing games.

But everyone isn't here we are missing 300 less cars than 4 and 600 less than 5 and 800 less than 6. :(
So raytracing isn't actually active while racing, the same as FH5? Just replays and in the garage?

The "even during the game" bit is confusing me, but I assume it's a rough translation.

It probably just means you can see ray tracing during the race you're currently doing versus having to wait and watch afterwards.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
No word about the full game being playable in VR? Okay then...
Kaz is a fan of VR and him saying that he can't speak about it right now rather than saying it's not happening says to me that Sony are keeping in quiet until their PSVR2 showcase, GTS had VR so I doubt that they would go back on that since GT7 in VR would be a pretty big deal

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
"Feature wise, they will be the same, but the quality that you'll be seeing will be different." - basically sums up everyones concerns with cross gen games/paying more for them (and confirms them)

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The ray tracing part is in Japanese, so it might be lost in translation lol. Wish any of the English reporters ask him about it xD

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

I just used google translation, but yeah I'm pretty sure they mean RT active in replays which are real-time, but currently not supported during gameplay.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Kaz is a fan of VR and him saying that he can't speak about it right now rather than saying it's not happening says to me that Sony are keeping in quiet until their PSVR2 showcase, GTS had VR so I doubt that they would go back on that since GT7 in VR would be a pretty big deal

True. But the VR support in GTS was disappointing at best and a complete joke at worst. You couldn't even do the track experience in VR.

PS4 and PS5 versions having complete feature parity tells me there will be another "VR mode" that is a complete joke.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What a dumb thing to even ask about. 🙄

To be fair to the interviewer, Sony had previously shown off new 8k Bravia TVs with an 8k demo of Gran Turismo, leading some to believe that the game might support it.

It's a lofty ask, obviously. But it's not out of nowhere. They have 8k footage of the game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The return of dynamic weather and day/night cycles were the features I wanted most for GT7. They both just completely transform a race. I binged a bunch of FIA GT Championship videos a few weeks ago and it really showed just much something like that would transform those races. One of the most exciting races are an 7 lap race on the Nordschleife, but the downside is that it all took place at the same time of day and without any weather. It's a game changer if halfway through a lap there it starts pouring while you're on soft tires and you're basically ice skating back to the pit to put on wet tires. And it's even worse if that's all occurring at night.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They need to get some of those Insomniac wizards down there stat to get the ray-tracing going.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
True. But the VR support in GTS was disappointing at best and a complete joke at worst. You couldn't even do the track experience in VR.
Tbh I don't own PSVR so didn't know what the VR mode entailed but hopefully with PSVR2 seemingly being the full package this time that Sony is trying to push and with leaks mentioning that Sony wants AAA experiences available in both VR and non-VR mode I'm hoping they'll lean fully into the game being playable in VR

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I think simulating rubber in the track is way more important than wet conditions but that's just me. Yamauchi confirms surface temperature simulation, which is also very important imo.

Waiting eagerly for a 120fps mode on PS5.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I guess now we need to hope the Forza Motorsport reboot has RT in gameplay as well, since neither this nor FH5 do. Since we expect it to be current gen only I guess there is a better chance

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
They gotta contact Insomniacs and borrow some of their RT engineers lol

But dynamic time + weather is the best thing to have for me, even more than RT. Here comes hours in Nurburgring just like on GT5 hhaha

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
You're absolutely right in saying that GT7 will be something that will progress based on the progression of the PS5 platform. What we will obviously do is add more tracks and more cars as we go along as well. But in terms of the features, there are still some features that we've had in the past titles that still haven't made a comeback yet. That's something that we would like to do. And we also have other ideas on top of that, as well, but it's still too early to start talking about that yet.

Sounds like this is only the beginning, lots of stuff ahead for the coming years

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Citing cheating for the online-only campaign is bullshit.

I'm glad the dynamic time and weather is in but it really doesn't do much for me. I hope they can move past it and improve other aspects of the racing that need attention more. There is a lot to improve even on a clear day.

Ray tracing being replay only is neither here nor there for me. Other things more important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
They gotta contact Insomniacs and borrow some of their RT engineers lol

But dynamic time + weather is the best thing to have for me, even more than RT. Here comes hours in Nurburgring just like on GT5 hhaha

Well, all of Insomniac's games rely on static pre-baked data such as for lighting and some AO/shadows, so they probably have a bit more headroom in getting ray-tracing to work in gameplay.

GT7 also has volumetric procedural 3d cloud sim, I'd prefer these dynamic environment features over RT reflections in gameplay.

2gzwTLP.gif

Last edited:

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing the difference between PS4/5. Will the jump be massive or minor?

Will it be related to resolution? More cars on track? Faster loading is to be expected, but I hope we see decent improvement because if they're near identical I think a lot of people won't be happy. :)

Will we see this game at TGS?