1. Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke
    Member OP

via Sony PR.

2. Noobie

Noobie

6 month of sales versus one week of sales. Look like GT series alai need a relaunch

3. Spiegel

Spiegel

No, you can't compare shipped vs sold numbers

4. E.T.

E.T.

Pretty pretty pretty good.

5. ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX
    诸葛亮 - 卧龙 Administrator

Changed the title because we can’t work out how much GT Sport sold. Feel free to add calculations to the op

6. Ada

Ada

Nah in this case its the reverse. Should have gone with the old formula but keep the visual and sound upgrades.

7. Zedark

Zedark

How was the 3.4M found?

8. JetSetRadio

JetSetRadio
    Banned Member

Not bad, online population is still very healthy and that is all that matters to me.

9. Yeah my mistake, the 77 million on the PD's website as September are in fact shipped, when the 80,4 million are sold. So we can't deduce that easily the GT Sport number.

10. Kolx

Kolx

subtracted the last number we have 77 million shipped from the latest number in this thread I think.

11. Stygr

Stygr

3 million in 6 months is very low for a series like Gran Turismo and the game had a huge price cut as well, at least in Europe.

12. Jade1962

Jade1962

GTS is one game where I would prefer number of players compared to unit sales. Of course having both numbers is better.

13. MarineMountie

MarineMountie
    Banned Member

My favorite GT in the series. I didn't think any developer could actually make online racing something that I just had to play. They made it to where I can race against real people knowing that those other people DO NOT want to put me in a wall. That is a thing of beauty.

Doesn't mean I don't get put into the occasional wall. It's racing, bumping happens. Great game. We don't need 1700 cars, and we don't need a boring run of the mill "career" mode. My opinion of course.

14. ASarafanov

ASarafanov

15. E.T.

E.T.

Sim style racing games generally have a tough time now, so in that context it would be a good result. But as pointed out above we do not know the exact figures yet.

16. Kolx

Kolx

There's nothing stopping PD from combining the best of both worlds. They can apply everything they learned from Sport into the next game, call it GT7 and have a SP as extensive as the previous games.

17. Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke
    Member OP

So you think other GT games have sold that much of an impact that the number is not correct? 77M as of September 2017.

18. E.T.

E.T.

I agree, its an amazing game. They just have to keep up their amazing post launch support and add more tracks. Easily my favourite racer in a very long time.

19. MarineMountie

MarineMountie
    Banned Member

It takes PD 5 years to get racing games out. Imagine them having to work on both of these things. 9 or 10 years? I wish this was a joke post, but I'm serious.

20. The problem is in fact : the 77 million (september 2017) were shipped numbers and the 80,4 million (may 2018) are sold numbers. But it is good news in fact, it means GT Sport is most likely way above 3 million.

21. Red Alert

Red Alert
    Banned Member

They should thank GT5. With all delays and shit people still played hell out of that game.

While both GT6 and GTS bombed (comparatively) for different reasons

22. Zedark

Zedark

I see. That 77M was as of September 2016, so before GTS launched. Additionally, the other games released years before, so I doubt it has a large reserve in shipped copies out there. As such, the 3.4M seems likely.

3.4M would be rather low, I think.

23. Falchion

Falchion

Seems like it's doing well.

24. I didn't know Hugh Grant was this successful

25. ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX
    诸葛亮 - 卧龙 Administrator

The 77m number is shipped. The one in the OP is sold through. You can't really compare them.

Like I said, you can add the calculations and estimate into the OP. But it's not part of the official press release.

26. v_iHuGi

v_iHuGi

Road to 100M.

What a juggernaut, although it lost some steam over the years.

27. Decarb

Decarb

Since 77M is shipped, 3.4M for GTS is absolute minimum and is probably higher since previous sold numbers are definitely lower than shipped.

28. Shambalakan

Shambalakan

If the correct number is 3.5 to 4 million units in more than 6 months, that's not a great number for GT. Specially when you consider it's the first GT on PS4.
    GTS isn't a bad game and I like it, even as a single player gamer. But it was an awful decision from PD to make an online game, 4 years after previous game. Like their decision about making GT6 for PS3.

29. Savantcore

Savantcore

That 77m number is shipped, not sold, so GT:S numbers will probably be higher considering all the copies of old Gran Turismo games out there floating around, unsold.

Dunno how much higher, mind.

30. Kolx

Kolx

True. Hopefully after 6 and Sport not selling as it used to Sony steps in and fix the mess that is PD.

31. MarineMountie

MarineMountie
    Banned Member

I don't see why anyone would think the number is that Low. The shipped numbers mean little. We don't know how many millions of copies of GT(6 games) were shipped and never sold. It could be 5 million copies out there which would mean the number for GTS sold is a huge number.

We don't know. We would need to know the GTS sold through numbers, as there is no way to make even an educated guess.

32. Guymelef

Guymelef

GT 7 is going to be an open world narrative-driven single player game about a boy and his car.
    But with 2D trees.

33. Zedark

Zedark

So:
    - As of December 2015 the shipments were 76.5M, GT6 at 4.7M
    - As of September 2017, the shipments were 77M

That can mean one of two things: shipments were way too large for GT6, meaning that they could hardly ship extra unts in the next 2 years. Alternatively, it could mean that they only had to restock when the 76.5M batch was sold, meaning that the sell-through would adhere closely to the shipment number.

I don't think there's anything that indicates either way. The latter case would mean that sell-through of GTS would be right around the suggested 3.4M, while the former case says it could be (significantly) more. We are at an impasse, then.

Edit: found this article, too:
    This suggests that the sales of GT6 informed the increase in shipment numbers almost exactly linearly. It rules out that GT6 was massively overshipped, so unless the earlier GT games have ample stock lying around still, I think that within the margin of a couple of 100k, the 3.4M number should be accurate. Since the shipment increase is related 1:1 to GT6, this would have to mean that either there are a lot of units of GT5 and down on the shelves (since they didn't get restocks) or that those earlier games have little impact on the difference between shipped and sold.

34. Shambalakan

Shambalakan

Maybe, but they announced a ship number in 2015 and it was 76.5 million units. And then another number (77 million units) two years after that.
    It seems there were some GT6 buyers between 2015 and 2017. So I think GTS numbers can't be more than 4 millions, but I'm not sure about it.

35. Soony Xbone Uhh

Soony Xbone Uhh
    Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account Member

So GTS sold below 3.38 million units

36. Sonicfan059

Sonicfan059

No way of knowing but most likely not.

37. nib95

nib95

Releasing Sport without a proper campaign was such an idiotic decision. Did they really think all past fans and critics would warm to that? Don't reduce content and cut a massive component of the game at the same time. If you want people to transition to online, ease them in to it, or incentivise online in a greater way, eg bigger rewards etc. Don't cold turkey them on to it.

P. S I loved Sport and have close to a hundred hours invested in to it, but I'm a competitive racing enthusiast, I appreciate most aren't like me.

38. Soony Xbone Uhh

Soony Xbone Uhh
    Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account Member

Franchise sales were at 77.02 just before the GTS launch.
    I don't buy the shipped / sold through yet, because the page presents both numbers the same way. Could've been always sold through, or a misunderstanding in the PR.
    But even if the former numbers was shipped and this one is sold through, it would not make that much of a difference, unless you believe there are still a million old GT games on store shelfs.

If you're more comfortable we could say around 3.4 million.
    Nevertheless 80 million is a nice milestone, but 100 million is the real deal. Will take some time, tho...

edit:
    they changed to wording to sell-through on the website
    or i just missed that word...

39. jett

jett
    Community Resettler Member

Weird how Polyphony deleted the individual sales numbers they used to have on their website for each game.

40. Duxxy3

Duxxy3

I'm curious if Polyphony will continue to support GT:S the same way Ubisoft supported R6S and For Honor, or if they'll scrap it and move on.

41. famikon

famikon

GT6 is a good example I think, they supported it until Dec, 2015. So I guess GTS will be supported at least for 2 years.

42. Sedated

Sedated

They won't be able to deliver another game in the ps4s remaining time. Better to just keep supporting the game and hopefully the game pulls a r6 seige sleeper hit move.

Gt6 came out in 2013 and they updated it till mid 2015 afaik so expecting sport support to be there as well for a good while more. Edit: beaten by famikon

43. Apex88

Apex88

The official FIA events are only just kicking-off. Plus a series of World Tour events starting at Nurburgring this weekend. I’d expect by the end of the weekend we’ll get further details on DLC and update plans. Certainly don’t expect an all new Gran Turismo before PS5.

https://twitter.com/thegranturismo/status/994921129675403265?s=21

44. Duxxy3

Duxxy3

Yeah I think you're both right. No matter what, GT:S is the PS4's GT game.

45. apeAsnake

apeAsnake

GT7 PS5 2020 Launch title boii

46. Plidex

Plidex

iRacing has been doing that for 10 years now, but of course it's awesome to have a similar system in a more accesible game. Since getting into iRacing in 2011 I hadn't been interested in racing online in any other game until GTS came out.

47. Gestault

Gestault

Even having been slower in the recent generation, Gran Turismo is such a massive franchise. Like, I bet 90% of the people talking about racing games on this board cut their teeth in sim racing on a GT title. Sport made massive strides in the series' online and community tools, and brought the consistency for the core content up to a bar it hadn't been at since GT3.

48. inner-G

inner-G

I'm enjoying the Arcade mode of GT Sport and look forward to the GT 7 campaign

49. Servbot24

Servbot24

GTS bombed... to the tune of a cool 3.5 mil

So is this Sony's best selling franchise still?

50. Wizzly

Wizzly

Strange, when Forza is a lot better simulation with better AI and better damage handling.