• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, FRANCE, May 11, 2018 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that
sell-through for the popular Gran Turismo franchise have passed 80.4 million units *1 in the 20
years since the game was launched.

Sales are expecting a further surge as Polyphony Digital Inc., creators of Gran Turismo,
announce further details of the new FIA Gran Turismo Championships in partnership with the
world governing body of motor sport, the Fédèration Internationale de l'Automobile. Creator
of the Gran Turismo franchise, Kazunori Yamauchi, commented :

"It's hard to imagine that 80.4 million copies of Gran Turismo have been played during the
20-year history of the franchise. It makes me really happy to think of the immense amount of
time that has been poured into playing our games! I would like to express my sincere thanks
and appreciation for the community, as well as our close friends and supporters within the
automotive industry. We would like to continue our efforts in achieving the best possible
expression and creation of cars and scenery, as well as bringing the highest level of excitement
and fun through racing in the years to come."

via Sony PR.

Last edited:

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6 month of sales versus one week of sales. Look like GT series alai need a relaunch

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Changed the title because we can't work out how much GT Sport sold. Feel free to add calculations to the op

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my mistake, the 77 million on the PD's website as September are in fact shipped, when the 80,4 million are sold. So we can't deduce that easily the GT Sport number.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GTS is one game where I would prefer number of players compared to unit sales. Of course having both numbers is better.

MarineMountie

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
My favorite GT in the series. I didn't think any developer could actually make online racing something that I just had to play. They made it to where I can race against real people knowing that those other people DO NOT want to put me in a wall. That is a thing of beauty.

Doesn't mean I don't get put into the occasional wall. It's racing, bumping happens. Great game. We don't need 1700 cars, and we don't need a boring run of the mill "career" mode. My opinion of course.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
3 million in 6 months is very low for a series like Gran Turismo and the game had a huge price cut as well, at least in Europe.
Sim style racing games generally have a tough time now, so in that context it would be a good result. But as pointed out above we do not know the exact figures yet.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite GT in the series. I didn't think any developer could actually make online racing something that I just had to play. They made it to where I can race against real people knowing that those other people DO NOT want to put me in a wall. That is a thing of beauty.

Doesn't mean I don't get put into the occasional wall. It's racing, bumping happens. Great game. We don't need 1700 cars, and we don't need a boring run of the mill "career" mode. My opinion of course.
There's nothing stopping PD from combining the best of both worlds. They can apply everything they learned from Sport into the next game, call it GT7 and have a SP as extensive as the previous games.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, its an amazing game. They just have to keep up their amazing post launch support and add more tracks. Easily my favourite racer in a very long time.

MarineMountie

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
There's nothing stopping PD from combining the best of both worlds. They can apply everything they learned from Sport into the next game, call it GT7 and have a SP as extensive as the previous games.

It takes PD 5 years to get racing games out. Imagine them having to work on both of these things. 9 or 10 years? I wish this was a joke post, but I'm serious.

Oct 27, 2017
So you think other GT games have sold that much of an impact that the number is not correct? 77M as of September 2017.

The problem is in fact : the 77 million (september 2017) were shipped numbers and the 80,4 million (may 2018) are sold numbers. But it is good news in fact, it means GT Sport is most likely way above 3 million.

Last edited:

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
They should thank GT5. With all delays and shit people still played hell out of that game.

While both GT6 and GTS bombed (comparatively) for different reasons

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
subtracted the last number we have 77 million shipped from the latest number in this thread I think.
I see. That 77M was as of September 2016, so before GTS launched. Additionally, the other games released years before, so I doubt it has a large reserve in shipped copies out there. As such, the 3.4M seems likely.

3.4M would be rather low, I think.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So you think other GT games have sold that much of an impact that the number is not correct? 77M as of September 2017.

The 77m number is shipped. The one in the OP is sold through. You can't really compare them.

Like I said, you can add the calculations and estimate into the OP. But it's not part of the official press release.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Since 77M is shipped, 3.4M for GTS is absolute minimum and is probably higher since previous sold numbers are definitely lower than shipped.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the correct number is 3.5 to 4 million units in more than 6 months, that's not a great number for GT. Specially when you consider it's the first GT on PS4.
GTS isn't a bad game and I like it, even as a single player gamer. But it was an awful decision from PD to make an online game, 4 years after previous game. Like their decision about making GT6 for PS3.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
I see. That 77M was as of September 2016, so before GTS launched. Additionally, the other games released years before, so I doubt it has a large reserve in shipped copies out there. As such, the 3.4M seems likely.

3.4M would be rather low, I think.
That 77m number is shipped, not sold, so GT:S numbers will probably be higher considering all the copies of old Gran Turismo games out there floating around, unsold.

Dunno how much higher, mind.

MarineMountie

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
If the correct number is 3.5 to 4 million units in more than 6 months, that's not a great number for GT. Specially when you consider it's the first GT on PS4.
GTS isn't a bad game and I like it, even as a single player gamer. But it was an awful decision from PD to make an online game, 4 years after previous game. Like their decision about making GT6 for PS3.

I don't see why anyone would think the number is that Low. The shipped numbers mean little. We don't know how many millions of copies of GT(6 games) were shipped and never sold. It could be 5 million copies out there which would mean the number for GTS sold is a huge number.

We don't know. We would need to know the GTS sold through numbers, as there is no way to make even an educated guess.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
GT 7 is going to be an open world narrative-driven single player game about a boy and his car.
But with 2D trees.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So:
- As of December 2015 the shipments were 76.5M, GT6 at 4.7M
- As of September 2017, the shipments were 77M

That can mean one of two things: shipments were way too large for GT6, meaning that they could hardly ship extra unts in the next 2 years. Alternatively, it could mean that they only had to restock when the 76.5M batch was sold, meaning that the sell-through would adhere closely to the shipment number.

I don't think there's anything that indicates either way. The latter case would mean that sell-through of GTS would be right around the suggested 3.4M, while the former case says it could be (significantly) more. We are at an impasse, then.

Edit: found this article, too:
Gamespot said:
Polyphony Digital has updated its website to include new sales figures for Gran Turismo, the Japanese developer's marquee racing franchise. Among other things, we learn that the latest entry in the series, 2013's Gran Turismo 6, has now sold more than 5 million copies (5,010,000 to be exact). Another standout figure is 76.8 million, which is the total number of Gran Turismo games sold to date.
This suggests that the sales of GT6 informed the increase in shipment numbers almost exactly linearly. It rules out that GT6 was massively overshipped, so unless the earlier GT games have ample stock lying around still, I think that within the margin of a couple of 100k, the 3.4M number should be accurate. Since the shipment increase is related 1:1 to GT6, this would have to mean that either there are a lot of units of GT5 and down on the shelves (since they didn't get restocks) or that those earlier games have little impact on the difference between shipped and sold.

Last edited:

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why anyone would think the number is that Low. The shipped numbers mean little. We don't know how many millions of copies of GT(6 games) were shipped and never sold. It could be 5 million copies out there which would mean the number for GTS sold is a huge number.

We don't know. We would need to know the GTS sold through numbers, as there is no way to make even an educated guess.
Maybe, but they announced a ship number in 2015 and it was 76.5 million units. And then another number (77 million units) two years after that.
It seems there were some GT6 buyers between 2015 and 2017. So I think GTS numbers can't be more than 4 millions, but I'm not sure about it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Releasing Sport without a proper campaign was such an idiotic decision. Did they really think all past fans and critics would warm to that? Don't reduce content and cut a massive component of the game at the same time. If you want people to transition to online, ease them in to it, or incentivise online in a greater way, eg bigger rewards etc. Don't cold turkey them on to it.

P. S I loved Sport and have close to a hundred hours invested in to it, but I'm a competitive racing enthusiast, I appreciate most aren't like me.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way of knowing but most likely not.
Franchise sales were at 77.02 just before the GTS launch.
I don't buy the shipped / sold through yet, because the page presents both numbers the same way. Could've been always sold through, or a misunderstanding in the PR.
But even if the former numbers was shipped and this one is sold through, it would not make that much of a difference, unless you believe there are still a million old GT games on store shelfs.

If you're more comfortable we could say around 3.4 million.
Nevertheless 80 million is a nice milestone, but 100 million is the real deal. Will take some time, tho...

edit:
they changed to wording to sell-through on the website
or i just missed that word...

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how Polyphony deleted the individual sales numbers they used to have on their website for each game.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm curious if Polyphony will continue to support GT:S the same way Ubisoft supported R6S and For Honor, or if they'll scrap it and move on.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I'm curious if Polyphony will continue to support GT:S the same way Ubisoft supported R6S and For Honor, or if they'll scrap it and move on.
They won't be able to deliver another game in the ps4s remaining time. Better to just keep supporting the game and hopefully the game pulls a r6 seige sleeper hit move.

Gt6 came out in 2013 and they updated it till mid 2015 afaik so expecting sport support to be there as well for a good while more. Edit: beaten by famikon

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
The official FIA events are only just kicking-off. Plus a series of World Tour events starting at Nurburgring this weekend. I'd expect by the end of the weekend we'll get further details on DLC and update plans. Certainly don't expect an all new Gran Turismo before PS5.

https://twitter.com/thegranturismo/status/994921129675403265?s=21

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017

iRacing has been doing that for 10 years now, but of course it's awesome to have a similar system in a more accesible game. Since getting into iRacing in 2011 I hadn't been interested in racing online in any other game until GTS came out.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Even having been slower in the recent generation, Gran Turismo is such a massive franchise. Like, I bet 90% of the people talking about racing games on this board cut their teeth in sim racing on a GT title. Sport made massive strides in the series' online and community tools, and brought the consistency for the core content up to a bar it hadn't been at since GT3.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GTS bombed... to the tune of a cool 3.5 mil

So is this Sony's best selling franchise still?

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
Strange, when Forza is a lot better simulation with better AI and better damage handling.