• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This game is always online garbage, you're be crazy to pay more than $5 for this trash. They also decided to sell it with no single player content which is also a nice screw you to fans of the series. There's much better racing games to play than this.
It has a single player campaign although it's not the what we've had in previous games. That's actually being added through an update in December. What is there, while different, I found to be very fun, some of the races were some of the best seen in a GT game. At this point online is required for saves but not for arcade, scapes, livery editor, etc.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No traditional career mode (coming December, announced post-launch) a way smaller car roster (because they made all models from scratch) and severely reduced offline play capabilities (think this is also being changed) will have scared many off this at full price.

No career mode? Seems like games being released incomplete is being allowed more and more nowadays thanks to the possibility of updates/patches/etc.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for: insults aimed at another user with no value to the thread. If you don't deem the post to be appropriate then use the report feature. Insulting each other solves nothing.
Yeah, because it's not selling. No reason to jump at $40 when it will $20 and very quickly. Also, that's nice that they're finally attempting to fix their game but that doesn't excuse them from trying to sell people garbage to begin with. Again, I think there's much better racing games for the same price or cheaper rather than wasting money on this unless you're really about the always online stuff. They also don't seem to want to "fix" their always online garbage which is pretty bad.
What a shitty post that doesn't actually have any clue about the game and would rather talk out of his ass.

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
It has a single player campaign although it's not the what we've had in previous games. That's actually being added through an update in December. What is there, while different, I found to be very fun, some of the races were some of the best seen in a GT game. At this point online is required for saves but not for arcade, scapes, livery editor, etc.
Yes, the always online is to save the game which is a core core core function of any video game. But yay, we can look at scapes offline... Thank god we can take pictures of a car offline....

What a shitty post that doesn't actually have any clue about the game and would rather talk out of his ass.

Yes, this post isn't a shit post that calls my post shit while correcting nothing and leaving the thread... But thanks!

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
The game wasn't launched incomplete, it was structured differently. It actually has a career mode, just a different one and they'll add more stuff soon.
"Structured differently" to mean missing most things of games past and have significantly less content than other racing games it competes with but it's fine because now that sales were underwhelming. You can't say it's not incomplete when they're already promising to release stuff as damage control a month after release, even the developers seem to agree the game isn't complete.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
How is it for a pad user/racing sim noob? I was pretty decent at Driveclub but that's pretty arcadey

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who bought this at launch basically got scammed. Has to be the quickest and biggest price drop ever for a franchise with this pedigree. It was $29 in Australia over the weekend and that is less than one third of the launch RRP.
Hyperbole. I bought bf1 for $27 on black Friday last year and it came out on October 23rd.

Cod came out this month and was already $40 this bf.

Gt sold poorly sure. But let's not pretend black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are new.

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes, the always online is to save the game which is a core core core function of any video game. But yay, we can look at scapes offline... Thank god we can take pictures of a car offline....
Listen, I'm not a fan of the online save but I'm also not going to deny that you can do everything with the game offline except online racing. You don't have to like it but they do allow you to play the game offline. To pretend otherwise is just trolling.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The game wasn't launched incomplete, it was structured differently. It actually has a career mode, just a different one and they'll add more stuff soon.

"Different" is being playful with the meaning of the word. Let's not delude ourselves that GTS has anything like the single-player content (or car/track variety, period) of previous GT games. I returned my copy after experiencing how slim the actual car/track list felt, among some other frustrations, and that wasn't an uninformed decision on my part. I understand more is coming (which is why I'm happy to grab it later on), but don't give more credit than is due.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ah, I see. Misinterpreted the word "traditional" in the user's post.

I was actually thinking of getting this game as I was a fan of the last GT but I'd rather buy Evil Within 2. I'll wait for the next price drop, probably Christmas.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
"Structured differently" to mean missing most things of games past and have significantly less content than other racing games it competes with but it's fine because now that sales were underwhelming. You can't say it's not incomplete when they're already promising to release stuff as damage control a month after release, even the developers seem to agree the game isn't complete.
This is not Gran Turismo 7, but GT Sport. The focus of the game was always the online content. PD and FIA wants to make this an e-sport game. That's why it lacked the usual offline content from the main series and was structured differently.

Obviously the fans didn't like this, so they are trying to satisfy consumers with updates. But that wasn't the plan and the game wasn't incomplete. It was simply a game that most fans didn't want it.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
$40 is the right price for this game. It should have launched at that price. The Sport mode is still very underdeveloped for being the titular feature of the game.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
How is it for a pad user/racing sim noob? I was pretty decent at Driveclub but that's pretty arcadey
Its exquisite on the controller, and the main reason I switched my time with Project Cars 2 over to this (PC2 is still a great game tho and filled to the brim with content and features -- its just more wheel focused imo).

The GTS demo won me over in about five minutes flat and I had very little interest before that.

$40 is the right price for this game. It should have launched at that price. The Sport mode is still very underdeveloped for being the titular feature of the game.
If anything that was the least developed mode, especially at launch with its weekly dailies ;p

There's more single player here than people think. Though I am biased towards Circuit Experience.

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, I'm not a fan of the online save but I'm also not going to deny that you can do everything with the game offline except online racing. You don't have to like it but they do allow you to play the game offline. To pretend otherwise is just trolling.
Is it playing if you're not even allowed to save while offline? You can call me a troll all you want but I don't consider being able to use a photo mode or track editor offline as being able to play offline. I do consider you block saves unless you have an internet connection to be always online however.

Oct 28, 2017
No, this is the real reason. GT Sport isn't just licensing the FIA name and trademarks, it's online races are ratified and sanctioned by the FIA as an official FIA racing series. They can't have the possibility of cheating or offline save manipulation affecting the races.

It's stupid. It's like three or four steps too far and no-one was asking for this.

I still don't believe that. It doesn't make any sense. Why would it even matter whether or not someone grinded for hours to obtain a car that they used to set the best time with or if they cheated to get the car? Either way they're setting a legitimate time. I know that's what they said, but I do not believe that is true. Logically, it makes no sense. Someone at Sony likely saw this as a way to force always online and limit used sales. They may even have pitched it to FIA as part of the negotiation, but ultimately the reason it exists is not to protect the sanctity of the online competition because...it doesn't.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This game is always online garbage, you're be crazy to pay more than $5 for this trash. They also decided to sell it with no single player content which is also a nice screw you to fans of the series. There's much better racing games to play than this.

The hottest of hot takes.

It's amazing the anger that comes out in GTS threads. Keep it coming.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Plays beautifully with a controller. I actually recommend disabling most of the driving assists, even for a first-timer, and just relying on lower settings for TCS (and manual vs automatic depending on preference). The assists can muddly the feedback you get from normal driving.

Nov 2, 2017
This is normal. Cod comes out early every year, becomes the best selling game almost immediately and still goes on sale every black Friday.

Games like mordor, Forza, ac origins, wolfenstein all came out in October like gt sports and they all saw price cuts for black Friday.

If anything I'm surprised Sony didn't slash the prices earlier last week. It was outsold by forza 7 in October so yeah, it didn't sell well.

I don't think I've ever seen a big profile game drop as much and as fast as this. It's was 1/3th of the price around here in 6 weeks.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Hyperbole. I bought bf1 for $27 on black Friday last year and it came out on October 23rd.

Cod came out this month and was already $40 this bf.

Gt sold poorly sure. But let's not pretend black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are new.

Our rrp is 90-100$, so dropping down to $29 is obscene. That's much a much larger percentage drop than what you posted.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
GT is one of my all time favourite franchises, but I'll wait till I can get it for a tenner on ebay, this isn't the GT I want.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Literally not true. That non-existent single player is all I've been doing, and they just announced old school career events to come in a free update.

So you're just playing SP so far and you're enjoying? I'm on board for GT League now, but didn't realize you could get down on this solo only and have enough to do. That's encouraging to hear that I'll have that until League launches.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
So you're just playing SP so far and you're enjoying? I'm on board for GT League now, but didn't realize you could get down on this solo only and have enough to do. That's encouraging to hear that I'll have that until League launches.
Yep, its been 100% single player for me since launch, though I don't mainline the game. Circuit experience is great (even with the embedded YouTube videos as a guide), time trials, challenges (which start off slow) and arcade mode. I wouldn't recommend it for those looking for a classic GT career mode though - at least not yet. But if you want single player stuff that will actually improve your understanding of racing at speed and that will improve your times on the track, whats there is tailored to do exactly that.

Its the driving itself which feels so damn good on the pad that won me over, and the quality level of tracks and cars are all top tier rather than the old scattershot mix of premium and standards.

Also absolutely love how the tracks use cones at the side of the track to show braking zones, turn-in and turn exits without having a giant driving line pasted on the road.

There's good stuff there. Just needs to be supported and PD seems like they're fully on board with that.

Definitely not a fan of the mostly-online nature, and do hope it can be improved, but I can understand why its there. I just want them to change how offline progress is treated when a new patch drops.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Had I known this would be so cheap I would have worked around my BF shopping list. Oh well. Does it last all week? GS's cyber sale says they 12.1 online

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, its been 100% single player for me since launch, though I don't mainline the game. Circuit experience is great (even with the embedded YouTube videos as a guide), time trials, challenges (which start off slow) and arcade mode. I wouldn't recommend it for those looking for a classic GT career mode though - at least not yet. But if you want single player stuff that will actually improve your understanding of racing at speed and that will improve your times on the track, whats there is tailored to do exactly that.

Its the driving itself which feels so damn good on the pad that won me over, and the quality level of tracks and cars are all top tier rather than the old scattershot mix of premium and standards.

Also absolutely love how the tracks use cones at the side of the track to show braking zones, turn-in and turn exits without having a giant driving line pasted on the road.

There's good stuff there. Just needs to be supported and PD seems like they're fully on board with that.

Definitely not a fan of the mostly-online nature, and do think it can be approved, but I can understand why its there. I just want them to change how offline progress is treated when a new patch drops.

Already, you sold me, I'm in.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
They just announced an offline mode.

You'll enjoy the upcoming free December update for the game.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...tes-add-new-cars-offline-play-gt-league-more/
38490687836_8a277bcafb_b.jpg

Oh wow, this sounds right up my alley! Thanks friends.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I'll structure it for you:
- Driving School: Similar to license tests in the past, nothing more to say.

- Mission Challenges: Similar to the missions in the past, including 30 minutes races, pit-stop strategy stuff etc.

- Circuit Experience: Learn all the tracks sector by sector, including instructional videos and leaderboards.

- Arcade Mode Single Race: Similar to the Arcade Mode from the past, but with a credits system.
Choose a track, choose a difficulty, pick a car and race with pre-determined rules.

- Arcade Mode Custom Race: Pretty much my personal replacement for the old career.
You can choose any car and track combo and change settings similar to an online lobby.
You can earn credits and the amount is determined by length, difficulty, starting position etc.
Choose between race time, or lap number, opponent class and so on.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Must be hurting if they are dropping it this fast. From a content standpoint, it should have launched at $40. Others racers just have more to offer right now. Hopefully they keep adding more so I can jump back in. In its current state, it is worth $40, but not $60 IMO.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game will soon be even cheaper when people realize what's actually in this game. Should be pretty cheap on eBay soon.

Denkoyugo

Oct 27, 2017
Holland
Bought this game at 25 euros, and after hearing all the negativity on the net I didn't expect much. Week later and i am having a blast with just the offline part.

Don't sleep on this game listening to all the haters. Well worth the 30-40 its going for

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seen it for €20 here in the Netherlands since last week, was really tempting but I heard there was not really a singleplayer mode so didn't buy it then. Luckily it was still €20 and with the big December update coming I just bought it, can't wait to play it tomorrow!