• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Need to get back to playing this. I've been playing Grid and other games but I always think of GT Sport

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they want to but it's due to the amount of extra time required to make night races. For the sunny/dawn settings they only have to worry about one light source, which is the sun. For night races they have to set up all of the extra individual light sources in the circuit, which can range from 100s to 1000s.

www.gtplanet.net

Polyphony Digital Reveals GT Sport's "Iris" Ray Tracing System at CEDEC 2018

Since Polyphony Digital first launched Gran Turismo, the company has been creating some of the most graphically impressive titles in the video game industry. Detailed car models and beautiful lighting has been a hallmark of the series for more than 20 years. It's a bit of a mysterious art, though

Another topic of discussion is multiple lighting sources, the light from which overlaps and interacts with itself in many complex ways. The greatest challenge was presented by Northern Isle Speedway's night course, which has over 208 unique lighting sources.
The Nurburgring has 2,308 light sources. Although they are spread out over a much larger area, the grandstands presented a unique challenge of their own, with a high density of lights in a small area.

That's totally fair, but honestly I'd be happy to pay for them if it's a cost issue. But it does a disservice to the tracks to pretend that they aren't raced at night.
It's also rather arbitrary... Nurburgring has night, Bathurst has night, so why not Le Mans or Spa, the most iconic 24h circuits? Are they just trying to make these updates cost efficient at this point since they're focused on GT7 development now?

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
That's totally fair, but honestly I'd be happy to pay for them if it's a cost issue. But it does a disservice to the tracks to pretend that they aren't raced at night.
It's also rather arbitrary... Nurburgring has night, Bathurst has night, so why not Le Mans or Spa, the most iconic 24h circuits? Are they just trying to make these updates cost efficient at this point since they're focused on GT7 development now?

Yeah, I think it's just because of the man power required and them trying to release new tracks almost monthly/bi-monthly, and GT7 should be pretty deep in development by now. Hopefully ray-tracing helps speed things up and we get night racing for all tracks in GT7.

I'm kind of done and getting bored with GTSport and hope GT7 is a launch title though. I need dynamic time change to be back.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My SO keeps complaining about the gear noise in my Logitech G29, and it just so happens that one of my friends wants to get into simracing and would take the G29 off my hands.

I love the G29 but more and more the noise is a dealbreaker. How's the T300RS GT Edition? My main concerns are noise and especially durability. Haven't heard good things about the latter. I'd have a 2 year warranty, however.

How do the G29 and T300 GT edition compare specifically in Gran Turismo Sport, since it's by far my most played game? And how bad does the rubber grip on the T300 feel VS the G29's leather?

What about the pedals? How do they compare, given their respective, included brake mods?

Oh, and I also play F1 2019 and the G29's FFB is godawful in that. Loud gear rattling noises constantly. How does the T300 fare?

Last edited:

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
My SO keeps complaining about the gear noise in my Logitech G29, and it just so happens that one of my friends wants to get into simracing and would take the G29 off my hands.

I love the G29 but more and more the noise is a dealbreaker. How's the T300RS GT Edition? My main concerns are noise and especially durability. Haven't heard good things about the latter. I'd have a 2 year warranty, however.

How do the G29 and T300 GT edition compare specifically in Gran Turismo Sport, since it's by far my most played game? And how bad does the rubber grip on the T300 feel VS the G29's leather?

What about the pedals? How do they compare, given their respective, included brake mods?

Oh, and I also play F1 2019 and the G29's FFB is godawful in that. Loud gear rattling noises constantly. How does the T300 fare?

t300 is relatively quiet since it's belt driven
I didn't have any issues with mine in the 2 years I had it

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
1575355229-20191202204013.jpg

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Anyone trying out those new Hamilton challenges? He really went try-hard, they are no joke, especially on a gamepad. You really have to put in work to get to the 100.000.000 payday. I got diamond at Dragon Trail and Willow Springs, 8 more to go.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I really got into the game recently and have been doing the Circuit Experience and Mission Challenges before getting into online races.

I have finished almost everything with gold but two things are missing
- Mission 8-8 (Nürburgring)
- One-lap circuit (Nürburgring)

This track is gonna be the end of me... I know it's basically a git gud situation and I'm getting better but it's driving me insane.

I have lost track how often I have re-started both challenges... the length alone is something else.. I drive nicely for 5 minutes just to take a corner at a slightly wrong angle and the whole thing is lost.

Some people probably laugh at me because the mission time is not even particularly hard, but Jesus.. this track requires such a high level of concentration.

Well... I just took a break to write this post.. will try again now.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I really got into the game recently and have been doing the Circuit Experience and Mission Challenges before getting into online races.

This track is gonna be the end of me... I know it's basically a git gud situation and I'm getting better but it's driving me insane.

I have lost track how often I have re-started both challenges... the length alone is something else.. I drive nicely for 5 minutes just to take a corner at a slightly wrong angle and the whole thing is lost.

Some people probably laugh at me because the mission time is not even particularly hard, but Jesus.. this track requires such a high level of concentration.

Yeah, just gotta keep at it. I have the whole circuit memorized from just replaying it over and over in GT5/6 and it can still be difficult. Once you learn the high speed sections though it's amazing.

vbAO5Sa.gif

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017

If it makes you feel any better, it's taken me years of driving the Nürburgring to consistently not drive off the track in the latter half while maintaining an OK pace. I first drove it in GT5 online a ton since people always voted for it in lobbies and it's taken me until Sport to get a real handle on it. Looking back, I probably should've used the Nürburgring learning course in GT5 to get better. My style of learning tracks is to overdrive the car to get a feel for where the limits are which works really well for me on most tracks. That method kind of falls apart on big tracks with tricky sections like the Nürburgring and Spa so they took a long time to get down. Now I haven't done it myself, but adopting a more conservative style and gradually pushing harder each lap until you find the limit is probably more effective here.

Are you using any of the driving line assists? They can be really useful for learning the 'Ring specifically since it has some pretty severe crests and consecutive corners in the latter half that can catch you off guard if you don't fully know the track yet.

I haven't done 8-8 since around launch, but I recall being able to use RH tires and setting the fuel map to the minimum consumption so you don't have to pit which should help especially since clean on-track passing can be hard in many places on the Nürburgring. Looking at it in game right now, you can tune the car for max power and minimum weight (there's no BoP enforced) so that can make it easier as well, if you're just looking for a way through.

Edit: I ran 8-8 just for the hell of it and finished with 1% fuel running fully lean using the GR Supra Racing Concept while short shifting 3 out of the 4 laps to save fuel, I can't say I recommend the no pit stop strategy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019

Honestly I think you're fine for online races at this point. I've seen the ring come up before, but there are so many tracks with one off / Gr4 / Gr3 / Gr2 customizations it rarely comes up.

I also don't like the ring a whole lot...

Oct 30, 2017
The ring is great for learning a car and car control in general, but it's awful for races. Passing isn't feasible on so much of the track that it's just not fun for racing; passing only really happens when someone messes up.

OP
OP
Niks

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
it's taken me years of driving the Nürburgring to consistently not drive off the track in the latter half while maintaining an OK pace

This, the second half of the lap still kicks my ass after years of driving it... Most of the time im winging it.
But as said, once you get it right... its so satisfying.

gts3mtoll.gif

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Update for you guys... I have now completed everything (gold) :)

This track really is something... I managed to semi-consistently drive it on an okay pace but it took some angry cursing to get there.

In the end it was just a matter of practicing... and experimenting with cars (in the case of 8-8)

Thanks for your replies!

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
When I got the game, I saved all the driving school missions for my nephew and did all track experience golds myself up until the full lap Nordschleife one because I thought it would be incredible hard without a PS compatible wheel accessory since you have so little feedback on a controller for when you're gonna lose the rear from too much throttle, even with some good amount of traction control... the throw on those DS4 triggers and that it only registers any press after already 20% travel is just terrible for this.
Anyway, one evening I tried the nordschleife full lap gold with the controller and failed 6 or 7 times early on in the lap from too much throttle and spinning out off track, then said to myself "whatever... let's try it with stability control on, maybe I can make up the time the engine power gets cut". 3rd try and my first finished lap was a 6:48. This GTS tire model is just unrealistic crap... maybe it got better by now, heard that aspect was improved multiple times as polyphony kept patching and supporting the game. Edit: Throttle Mapping setup changes would be great so you can make throttle application non-linear like in real race cars.

The actual hardest gold was the Interlagos endurance mission in the audi for me. I failed that twice right at the end by being overtaken... both with pretty decent driving and no mistakes. Then I realized that you can cut the entire Senna S chicane without penalty, that's how I got that gold. I still don't know how I could have won gold in that mission without cheating.

Oh and congrats DrKelpo!

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Got back to play it this weekend - the platinum hunt really saturated me a bit, but now I'm feeling that drive to play some dailies again. Man, this game is pretty and I can't open the livery editor without spending hours and hours on it. Touched some older designs here and there, but didn't have any great ideas - for now, at least.

Did some tweaks on this and I'm quite pleased with the results:

xnGmlIS.jpg

Here's the link to the older version (just lacks some minor adjustments and resizes)

OP
OP
Niks

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Been meaning to post my liveries here at some point. Also, yes, livery editor is a massive time sink.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Can you build your designs on the PC for the cars?

You can upload decals from PC, but I don't think entire liveries.

I recently got back into racing after moving apartments and having my wheel stowed away. I got a new (larger, 32" => 48") TV and a GT Omega Apex stand, and holy hell do a larger screen and a stable wheel stand make a difference. I won my second race after not playing for over two month . I had a makeshift wheel stand "table" built out of an old chair and a wood board before and while it was serviceable, a fully stable stand and a better seating position make a lot of difference both for immersion and consistency.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Can you build your designs on the PC for the cars?

You can desing decals as svg files and upload them through the website. You can use this to make patterns and wraps for your designs.

My helmet is pretty much pattern mirrored for instance:

8286706959068987420_0.jpg

But the game itself has a lot of shapes, decals and whatnot (plus there are tons of stuff people already uploaded, you just search for whatever you want through the game or website and add to your collection). I've made these without uploading anything:

BmxeiEJ.jpg

WlIyhLX.jpg

MBF2WNc.jpg

Last edited:

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
You people are really freaking good at liveries. Anytime I try and make something it looks like poop.

Mine always start goddamn awful, I just stick to it to inordinates amounts of time.

That PS tracker thingy some weeks ago said that I clocked 548 hours on GTS throughout 2019. I'd say that 70% of that time was on liveries and photos.

Stoffinator

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they have much more content planned for GT Sport? I'm surprised it's all been free for so long, with option to pay some real money to get the cars.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
There are two items for sale on the Playstation Store:

1. Gran Turismo Sport
  2. Gran Turismo Spec II

What is the difference and which should I buy?

Spec II contains all updates up until October 2019 (saves the hassle of downloading ALL updates for the base game) and some bonus credits and cars. I have no clue why both of them are on sale though. You should only need Spec II. Here are the details

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Spec II contains all updates up until October 2019 (saves the hassle of downloading ALL updates for the base game) and some bonus credits and cars. I have no clue why both of them are on sale though.

It's really just down to the credits and car unlocks. You get 2.5 million in credits and 10 high end cars automatically unlocked if you buy the Spec II version. Given that in the US it's only $2.50 more than the standard version i'd just go with it.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Spec II contains all updates up until October 2019 (saves the hassle of downloading ALL updates for the base game) and some bonus credits and cars. I have no clue why both of them are on sale though. You should only need Spec II. Here are the details
If I have save data already on my PS4 for the base version (Gran Turismo Sport) and then buy Spec II, will that save carry over? Does the PS4 see them as the same game?

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
If I have save data already on my PS4 for the base version (Gran Turismo Sport) and then buy Spec II, will that save carry over? Does the PS4 see them as the same game?

It's the exact same game (and the save data is IIRC tied to your account anyway), however if you already have the base game you don't need Spec II (unless you don't have the disk anymore).

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

Be careful about how you handle your saves in this game, specially with you have custom content, like liveries.

That said, Spec II is exactly the same game, the only difference is the new (and cringeworthy, IMO) intro, which you'd get in the base, original, game anyways through an update.

As long as you don't run the game in another PS4 with your account logged in, your data should be safe, no matter what disc version you choose.

Porsches, just Porsches.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Maybe someone can help me. I just reinstalled the game after months and I tried Sport mode. In a Gr3 race, I used two different cars, but they were both stuck in 2nd gear, even tho I was in automatic transmission. The car wouldn't go above. What's happening there? Other players were zooming past me. Is there anew regulation? Is manual transmission mandatory in sport mode or something? I used to win races in Sport mode, but now I start races 40 seconds from the first player. Can someone explain to me what's going on?

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Maybe someone can help me. I just reinstalled the game after months and I tried Sport mode. In a Gr3 race, I used two different cars, but they were both stuck in 2nd gear, even tho I was in automatic transmission. The car wouldn't go above. What's happening there? Other players were zooming past me. Is there anew regulation? Is manual transmission mandatory in sport mode or something? I used to win races in Sport mode, but now I start races 40 seconds from the first player. Can someone explain to me what's going on?
are you using a wheel? If you are and you have a shifter, maybe it is in 2nd gear?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I've only just gotten into GT Sport... but in a big way.
I tried the beta that was released way back when and thought the game felt sluggish and handled poorly.
Suffice it to say that they've turned this game right around. It feels like my favourite sim racer to date.

I'm up to B-Class for online racing. The online races are such a mixed bag of emotions.
Sometimes everything just gels really well and people are respecting clean overtakes. It's at these times the game really shines.
Monza is... another type of emotion. That first corner is a killer.
Wouldn't be that much of a problem but for some reason the penalty system is bonkers. Someone punts you straight through a chicane and you get handed with a 5sec penalty yourself... right.
Here's to hoping next week brings a less nightmare inducing first corner.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I've had a couple of bad races, yes, but from BS to AS, if I qualify 5th or up, I usually get clean races. Even in Monza! Last one I started on the Hard compound and surprisingly was able to go through the chicane safely. 2nd place tried to overtake but backed out, and he was not murdered as well so I guess it was a good grid.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

That's crazy, I got the GRID trial today and was playing the prologue races, in medium difficulty. Couldn't pass a single other car. Figured maybe there was something wrong my my gamepad and used an old worn out DS4 to compare. And there it is haha! Seems like my trigger don't go to max pressure! Meaning I've been struggling in racing games since who know how much time now! Mystery solved, I can redownload GTS now!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There's a visual indicator that shows how much gas/brake you're giving it, that should have been a dead giveaway that it wasn't registering fully.

Anyway, I've been using sticks for gas/brake since the original GT on PS1, the game just doesn't feel right if I try anything else, even the triggers. But it's just GT, I can play other racing/driving games just fine with triggers.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017

Main Features Implemented

1. Cars
- The following new car has been added.
・Toyota GR Supra RZ '20

2. Physics Simulation Model
- The tire wear rate for Gr.4 FF cars (front engine/front-wheel drive) has been recalculated.
- The handling for all Gr.2, Gr.3, Gr.4 cars has been adjusted.
- The fuel consumption rate for all Gr.2, Gr.3, and Gr.4 cars has been reduced.

3. Sport Mode & Lobby
- "Fuel Consumption" and "Tire Wear" have been added to Qualifying races. As a result, tire wear and fuel consumption settings will be different for Qualifying and Final races.
- To coincide with the implementation of tire wear and fuel consumption in Qualifying, they can now be enabled during free practice and in pit lane when warming up.
- Drag reduction when the slipstream setting is on "Real" has been reduced.

Other Improvements and Adjustments

- We repaired an issue in Sport and Lobby modes where the ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) setting was not applied as intended during a pit stop.
- Various other issues have also been addressed.

www.gran-turismo.com

Update Details (1.57) - gran-turismo.com

An update for Gran Turismo Sport has been releas...

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
That game is a broken mess. They decided to go full online racing... but with no working penalty system in place.

2 years after release, - and who knows how many years of development- their penalty system is still a joke. Dive bombers everywhere and the victims get the penaltys more often than the bomber.

At this point, i think PD just gave up and proved they have no idea how to make a decent penalty system. They just failed spectacularly on this matter.

Which is a problem when online races are the core of your whole game.

I had some great races around a year ago...but I feel like the online experience got worse and worse through time, instead of getting better and better...and even "famous GTS youtubers" ended up giving up on it and are now streaming on ACC and Iracing because GTS penalty system is completly broken.

I can't even motivate myself playing when 1 race out of 2 is a destruction derby experience (and I am playing at S level in SR)....where I loose SR and DR points because of fuckers who just abuse the penalty system (they almost never get penaltys...because PD seems to favor the player who overtakes against the one who is overtaken)
This game is broken. Plain and simple.

2 examples out of thousands:

(all players are high levels in DR and SR)

In the second video, the game can't even tell if your 4 wheels were outside the track or not.... sometimes you get a penalty for just 2 cm outside the road...And sometimes you don't get anything when you got meters outside! All these development years for that?!

The last exampkle happened to me. Imagine the anger after being dive bombed many times with no penalty to the divebombers, many races ruined by dirty players who never get penaltys.... and then this happens to you:

5 seconds penalty for what exactly? Hitting a barrier?! I did not ruin anyone's race, did not touch anyone, lost tons of time ...but for some reason, the game decided I decided 5 (!!) seconds penalty!

WTF?

Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Unplayable game gets 80 page community love-thread in entitled hyperbole stated loudly as fact shocker?

Anyone trying race B, the Supra at Spa? I don't know either very well, and being lower-tier it feels like riding a newborn foal round an ice rink. Super fun though, I've just begun keying into how to throw the momentum round the corners.

Last edited:

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
The last exampkle happened to me. Imagine the anger after being dive bombed many times with no penalty to the divebombers, many races ruined by dirty players who never get penaltys.... and then this happens to you:

5 seconds penalty for what exactly? Hitting a barrier?! I did not ruin anyone's race, did not touch anyone, lost tons of time ...but for some reason, the game decided I decided 5 (!!) seconds penalty!

WTF?

Some people have tried to use exploits like going too fast and bouncing off barriers. Thus a penalty for going too fast and bouncing off a barrier after a chicane.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Guys help me out, I loved go kart racing in GT5/6 and I wanted a friend to try it in Sport.

Is there a campaign in sp with karts? Is there a kart track or at least a track's configuration that works really well?

I know you unlock the 125cc kart watching videos of racing etiquette to get the Sport license, but it's 6 speeds gearbox when I want the classic 1 speed automatic gear kart... is there any in the game or a way to make it so? Damn kart races were a blast on GT6.

Best would be a proper series/race with karts!

help? :)

Last edited: